PDA

View Full Version : Magazine follower color?

Hairy Clipper
12-07-08, 06:00
Greetings Gents!

After years of badgering from my brother-in-law I have finally broken down and acquired an Armalite M15. I have yet to fire it though. It came with two magazines and I bought two more from Cammenga. Being the novice that I am regarding the M15 I have to ask, after doing a search on this site on the subject I still do not have an answer.

I keep hearing references to magazine follower color. Is this a fashon thing, like my wifes lipstick of the day? or, is there a color code relative to design revisions by the industry? If the later, which is preferred?

Please help! I am confused by all this...or is it dimentia?, the big six zero is approaching.

Hairy

packinheavy
12-07-08, 06:29
Military wise they switched to a green follower a while back. The color change was to show it was the newer model with the anti tilt legs that are supposed to help feeding.

I don't know all the details, but there are other colors as well. Magpul followers are supposed to be the best.

junkxp
12-07-08, 08:38
I'm just getting back into ar's so this may be wrong(used to metal followers)

I have a few usgi(colt,okay,ect.) mags with green followers and i wouldn't call them anti tilt. The bmi i have with a magpul(grey) follower doesn't tilt.

Code3Patriot
12-07-08, 11:41
To go along with Hairy Clipper's original question; I just picked up some Colt 20 rd. mags marked 5 - 07 with the black plasic follower. Is the follower considered reliable or should I be swapping it for something else? And if so what.

seb5
12-07-08, 20:04
20 rounders have always worked well for me and have a good rep. I would bet they will be fine. The best way to see if they are reliable is by using them.

Color Code for Magpuls are the following I believe.

1st gen Magpul followers were red and black
2nd were gray and orange
3rd are foliage and yellow.

BWYoda
12-08-08, 04:51
Bin anything with a black follower - they don't feed reliably. The best ones are the grey magpul followers. Not only do they have supports front and rear of the follower to ensure even feeding but they have a notch in the follower to follow the curvature of the mag body. A good test is to apply pressure to the very front or rear of the follower and see if it binds against the body of the mag. Black followers have done this to me at the most inopportune times.

Vic303
12-08-08, 08:22
Yellow Magpuls. Easier to see when empty.

markm
12-08-08, 08:33
Yellow Magpuls. Easier to see when empty.

They all turn the same color after a while anyway.

seb5
12-08-08, 18:43
. The best ones are the grey magpul followers. Not only do they have supports front and rear of the follower to ensure even feeding but they have a notch in the follower to follow the curvature of the mag body.

They are good, I use a dozen myself. However, they have been replaced by the 3rd generation followers so theoretically at least the yellow and foliage are improved and therefore "better"

Veracity
12-08-08, 21:22
Guys,

Just FYI, Magpul has Gen III gray ones too. Just got 'em yesterday.

I don't know how many colors there are in total, but I own yellow, foliage green, and gray Gen IIIs.