PDA

View Full Version : Serial numbers on upper/lowers

firecop019
12-07-08, 06:00
Are both halves numbered? I've done a couple of searches and haven't been able to find what I want. I can't afford to purchase a whole rifle at once but I might be able to purchase separate halves over the course of a year or so. I'm talking about from the same manufacturer too, I wouldn't be mixing and matching.

Thanks

Dan

Iraqgunz
12-07-08, 06:08
Just want to clarify what you are asking. Are the uppers and lowers on AR type weapons serial numbered? If that is the question then generally speaking no, only the lower is. Although there are certain variants that may be. I think I read something about Sig and Robinson Arms rifles being marked like this. But, as far as Colt, Noveske, Bushamster, DPMS, etc....no only the lower.

Are both halves numbered? I've done a couple of searches and haven't been able to find what I want. I can't afford to purchase a whole rifle at once but I might be able to purchase separate halves over the course of a year or so. I'm talking about from the same manufacturer too, I wouldn't be mixing and matching.

Thanks

Dan

Buckaroo
12-07-08, 06:11
As far as the Federal Gov. is concerned (BATF) The lower is serialized and is considered the firearm. They can be mailed and sold between private parties who reside within the same state. Uppers can be sold and mailed between private parties who live in different states.

Buckaroo

Iraqgunz is correct (of course), on a Ruger Mark II (.22 pistol) for example, the slide is the serialized part.

firecop019
12-07-08, 06:19
Thanks, I was looking at the S&W or the LMT's

Iraqgunz
12-07-08, 06:35
I have a few LMT uppers here in my armory and they are not serial numbered. I also have one of their lowers on a rifle at home. On some guns (the FAL I believe) is one of them the upper is actually the serial numbered item. As for most every AR type that I have seen it is only the lower. Though a manufacturer certainly could mark the upper and lower if they so desired.

Thanks, I was looking at the S&W or the LMT's