PDA

View Full Version : Will there be mechanical issues using a milspec safety with a semi auto trigger?

okie
04-06-21, 21:16
I have a Colt milspec (3 position) safety from a SOPMOD kit, and I'm wondering if I will be able to use it with a semi auto trigger group, or if it will cause some unforeseen mechanical issues.

CRAMBONE
04-06-21, 22:54
It will work but the safety will continue past the normal fire position on a semi rifle.

okie
04-06-21, 23:51
It will work but the safety will continue past the normal fire position on a semi rifle.

Right, but with a semi trigger group the third position will either be safe or semi, correct?

Mysteryman
04-07-21, 05:11
Right, but with a semi trigger group the third position will either be safe or semi, correct?

It will be safe in the third position unless you have an auto disconnector installed.

Pappabear
04-07-21, 11:57
Should not be an issue.
PB

CRAMBONE
04-07-21, 12:27
It will be safe in the third position unless you have an auto disconnector installed.

This.

TexasAggie2005
04-07-21, 12:41
I have a Colt milspec (3 position) safety from a SOPMOD kit, and I'm wondering if I will be able to use it with a semi auto trigger group, or if it will cause some unforeseen mechanical issues.

I used that safety with a Geissele SSA in a Colt lower, had no issues for the few years I had it. I've since switched to Geissele safety for unrelated reasons.

monkeywrench
04-07-21, 15:14
https://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-7th-circuit/1407580.html

Duffy
04-07-21, 15:38
TDP spec M16 safeties have detent grooves that go to positions where there are no detent holes. Without the selector stops, the safety can rotate 360 degrees.

Not all 3rd party M16 safeties will do this, but TDP M16 safeties definitely do.

okie
04-07-21, 16:37

Sounds like someone intentionally did something to make it full auto. The document said that the bursts weren't due to hammer follow. And he knew it fired in full auto, then his new friend threw him under the bus and testified to as much.

markm
04-07-21, 16:39
It'll work. The disconnector "tail" isn't on a semi auto part, and obviously the auto sear isn't in the lower.

JimmyB62
04-08-21, 04:41

From the footnotes

“Four of the AR-15's fire control components were parts from M-16 rifles:  the trigger, hammer, disconnector, and selector switch.”

Stickman
04-08-21, 11:18
From the footnotes

“Four of the AR-15's fire control components were parts from M-16 rifles:  the trigger, hammer, disconnector, and selector switch.”

I was just going to post the above. There was a whole lot more going on than just safety or selector.

AndyLate
04-08-21, 11:52
So it had all the FA parts from a M-16 except the auto-sear? No wonder it would jam after a few rounds on "auto".

okie
04-08-21, 12:37
From the footnotes

Not 100% positive, but I still don't think that would produce anything even remotely capable of full auto. It's very common for parts kit builders to use all the original parts, save for the auto sear, and I've never once heard of one being full auto capable without the sear. At the very, very least, I think someone must have intentionally done some grinding or something.

AndyLate
04-08-21, 12:46
Not 100% positive, but I still don't think that would produce anything even remotely capable of full auto. It's very common for parts kit builders to use all the original parts, save for the auto sear, and I've never once heard of one being full auto capable without the sear. At the very, very least, I think someone must have intentionally done some grinding or something.

The auto sear only serves to slow the hammer drop until the bolt closes. They will fire more than one round per trigger pull without the auto sear, but not reliably - it is basically the hammer following the bolt. It mimics a malfunction more than a machine gun. At least that is what a guy told me - of course I would never try it and see what happens.

Andy

markm
04-08-21, 12:52
The auto sear only serves to slow the hammer drop until the bolt closes. They will fire more than one round per trigger pull without the auto sear, but not reliably - it is basically the hammer following the bolt. It mimics a malfunction more than a machine gun. At least that is what a guy told me - of course I would never try it and see what happens.

Andy

This is correct. It will work. I have seen it done. The person I saw do this is no longer alive, so I don't think he'll have to pay for this act against humanity. But yeah... it works... not perfectly, but it will work.

okie
04-08-21, 14:06

Andy

I would have to see some proof on that one.

AndyLate
04-08-21, 14:51
I would have to see some proof on that one.

Like expert testimony in a court of law? Maybe you could write David Olofson in prison and see if he has a video.

To the best of my memory, this video shows how the FCG parts interact and you can see the effect removing the auto sear would have.

https://youtu.be/wMIBUIN30yU

Andy

markm
04-08-21, 14:57
Like expert testimony in a court of law? Maybe you could write David Olofson in prison and see if he has a video.

Exactly. I've seen it in person, and it works.

And that knuckle head, Olofson, deserves it. Loaning out an Illegal MG to some booger eater who shot it at a public range? How dumb can you get?

okie
04-08-21, 17:52
But they said it wasn't due to hammer follow??? Without an auto sear, all they could hope to accomplish is keeping the disconnector from grabbing the hammer...right?

AndyLate
04-09-21, 06:56
But they said it wasn't due to hammer follow??? Without an auto sear, all they could hope to accomplish is keeping the disconnector from grabbing the hammer...right?

I am not concerned with what "they" said. I said that installing an M-16 FCG will cause an AR to fire more than one round per trigger pull with the selector in "Auto" - a correct statement.

At any rate, the OP asked about mechanical concerns with installing an M-16 selector only. I believe there is no mechanical reason against it. I personally would not install one unless it was impossible to find a semi selector.

Andy

markm
04-09-21, 11:12
At any rate, the OP asked about mechanical concerns with installing an M-16 selector only. I believe there is no mechanical reason against it. I personally would not install one unless it was impossible to find a semi selector.

Andy

Me too. It would be annoying for the selector to move beyond its normal rotation.

sinister
04-18-21, 09:22
Nope.

On semi it will fire.

Flipped 180 to where "AUTO" would normally be it'll fire in semiautomatic mode. Unless you have shitty disconnector timing there is no full-auto sear to release the hammer once the bolt is locked.

Olympic Arms sold metric ass-loads of AR rifles and carbines with GI selectors in the 80s and early 90s that would go past 90-degrees. New-old stock selectors eventually dried up as the assault rifle ban kicked-in in 1994.

the AR-15 Junkie
04-18-21, 10:10
Nope.

On semi it will fire.

Flipped 180 to where "AUTO" would normally be it'll fire in semiautomatic mode. Unless you have shitty disconnector timing there is no full-auto sear to release the hammer once the bolt is locked.

Olympic Arms sold metric ass-loads of AR rifles and carbines with GI selectors in the 80s and early 90s that would go past 90-degrees. New-old stock selectors eventually dried up as the assault rifle ban kicked-in in 1994.

This guy is correct.

okie
04-18-21, 12:34
Nope.

On semi it will fire.

Can confirm. It works perfectly in the third position as a semi auto, no difference whatsoever.

okie
04-18-21, 12:37
Me too. It would be annoying for the selector to move beyond its normal rotation.

It's actually not a problem, because it takes deliberate effort to break your grip and rotate it beyond the second position. It's not something you can do by accident, and even if you did I confirmed through reliability checks that it functions in semi in that position with no change whatsoever.

markm
04-19-21, 14:15
It's actually not a problem, because it takes deliberate effort to break your grip and rotate it beyond the second position.

That's true.