PDA

View Full Version : What is the ballpark value of a Colt M4 upper?

Jackyl
12-07-08, 08:42
I'm talking about a M16 Colt 14.5" M4 upper, minus the carrier bolt and charging handle. A friend is offering to sell me one and I would like to know what a fair price on it would be.
Thanks in advance!

7.62NATO
12-07-08, 09:08
If it is new you would do well to pick it up below $900.

Here is what someone is charging on gunbroker (with BCG and CH):

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=117894191

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Zirk208
12-07-08, 10:56
Clyde's Armory has 6921's in stock for $1495. Subtract the price of a complete Colt lower +/- from that and there you go.
That Gunbroker fellow must fancy his upper. But in today's market, they'll most likely get it. Fidelis Firearms has been mentioned here in the past with positive remarks.

Jackyl
12-07-08, 10:57
I can get this one for $650, but the bad thing is that I will need a class III license in order to mount it to a lower..

mpardun
12-07-08, 11:00
I can get this one for $650, but the bad thing is that I will need a class III license in order to mount it to a lower..

Is it new? That a great PRICE! Pls PM me if you end up not getting it, I will!

Zirk208
12-07-08, 11:01

Make sure you do your research on NFA items like SBR's. $200 tax stamp, a few forms, photos, and prints and I believe it's yours. Plus the wait for the .gov to approve. Don't take me as the final word though. You simply transfer it through the lic. dealer, you don't become one.

Iraqgunz
12-07-08, 11:48
All you need to do is get it registered as an SBR before you mount it on a lower. You will have to pay the 200 excise "transfer" tax. You can do it via the traditional route (CLEO signature, fingerprints, photos) or you can do it via a Trust. The trust is the best option in my opinion because it will cut down the process time and you don't need anyones permission.

Jackyl
12-07-08, 11:51
Is it new? That a great PRICE! Pls PM me if you end up not getting it, I will!

It is brand new, still in the box, never been fired or mounted to a lower. A friend of mine is wanting to sell it to me. As I understand it, since it is only a upper, there is no paperwork needed or required.

If I were to get it I would still need to purchase a lower (most likely LMT) and a bolt-carrier with charging handle.

Iraqgunz
12-07-08, 12:02
That is correct. You do not need any special paperwork until you mount it. If you are serious about putting together a carbine (SBR) then this may be a good option for you.

It is brand new, still in the box, never been fired or mounted to a lower. A friend of mine is wanting to sell it to me. As I understand it, since it is only a upper, there is no paperwork needed or required.

If I were to get it I would still need to purchase a lower (most likely LMT) and a bolt-carrier with charging handle.

5pins
12-07-08, 12:08

You can also have a permanently attach long flash suppressor to bring it to 16 inches.