PDA

View Full Version : Jeeps, 4WD, and trannies

Firefly
04-09-21, 16:17
Yeah I wanna know more and don’t give two figs about Proud Boys.

Shower me with knowledge and help me pick another Flymobile that isn’t too crazy expensive for SR-25 and SP1 Outdoor Adventures.

Also sound system discussion is welcome because I gotta have my high tech sound

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/cb/06/3d/cb063d17d79a4ff37f2d3f982b947008.jpg
VROOM VROOM

Todd.K
04-09-21, 16:30
What kind of off-road are you looking to do?

THCDDM4
04-09-21, 16:39
Well, you didn’t really give enough info to accurately answer, however my initial recommendation is to stay away from anything Jeep.

If you elaborate on what type of off-roading you intend to do, if this will be dual purpose everyday driver as well, budget, etc we could help you out better.

lowprone
04-09-21, 17:05
Flatfenders are too cool, but limited to secondary roads, most people here in western S.Dakota have gravitated to side by side UTV type vehicles
for hunting and trail riding, and we have thousands of miles of trails.

Firefly
04-09-21, 17:18
Well, you didn’t really give enough info to accurately answer, however my initial recommendation is to stay away from anything Jeep.

If you elaborate on what type of off-roading you intend to do, if this will be dual purpose everyday driver as well, budget, etc we could help you out better.

Going to shooting land and or mountains. Nothing crazy like mud bogging. Won’t be a daily driver. Would like an open air vehicle. It will be a toy so $5kish.

My DREAM vehicle would be like this but for tall people.

https://img.hmn.com/fit-in/900x506/filters:upscale()/stories/2018/06/62979503-770-0@2X.jpg

Red*Lion
04-09-21, 17:40
5K? That is not going to get you anything that you will want to drive or likely be able to drive without it taking a dump on you.

You could try to find a military surplus Cucv or HUMVEE either through auction or seller such as....

https://www.smartmotorguide.com/cars-for-sale/chevrolet-m1008

About 25 years ago, you could show up at the Naval Air Base in Duluth MN for a surplus auction and walk away with 4 Cucv M1008's for $2,000. Those days are long gone.

Inkslinger
04-09-21, 17:43
For $5k, look for an old Tacoma or tundra off-road with probably 200,000 miles on it. Replace the timing belt and water pump and enjoy it for another 100,000. Or look for an old XJ and rebuild the engine.

titsonritz
04-09-21, 17:50
I have a good friend who is a big Jeep freak (anything AMC really) but lately it has been all about his Can-Am off roading.

https://can-am.brp.com/off-road/us/en/

Red*Lion
04-09-21, 18:18
For $5k, look for an old Tacoma or tundra off-road with probably 200,000 miles on it. Replace the timing belt and water pump and enjoy it for another 100,000. Or look for an old XJ and rebuild the engine.

Tacoma's and Tundra's are nice, but no way that you are going to find either for less than $9-10,000 with 200,000 miles. Unless it is a base model 2 wheel drive. Even 20 year old Tacoma's in MN will garner north of $12,000.

Inkslinger
04-09-21, 18:23
Tacoma's and Tundra's are nice, but no way that you are going to find either for less than $9-10,000 with 200,000 miles. Unless it is a base model 2 wheel drive. Even 20 year old Tacoma's in MN will garner north of $12,000.

I was being optimistic [emoji2371]
I just looked on KBB. They price a 2005 Tundra off-road access cab with 200,000 miles at between $5-8k. Now finding such a vehicle, may be a different story...

Red*Lion
04-09-21, 18:29
I was being optimistic [emoji2371]

I get it. I was thinking that maybe vehicles may be less expensive in your neck of the world.

Inkslinger
04-09-21, 18:30
I get it. I was thinking that maybe vehicles may be less expensive in your neck of the world.

See my edited post above.

Firefly
04-09-21, 18:31
$5k is what I’d like to pay but I just want a nominal (realistic) entry price.

ETA 2021 Ford Bronco actually looks the part. But I don’t know about them. I’m not around enough white folks to see one IRL but it looks like what I want and $28K isn’t that bad desu. I can probably work em down maybe.

https://www.motortrend.com/uploads/sites/5/2020/01/2021-Ford-Bronco-Renderings-3-1.png

https://gearmoose.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/2021_Ford_Bronco_-_v2.jpg

utahjeepr
04-09-21, 18:53
So in your budget around here what you will find is gonna need work. Whether it starts as a project or not it's gonna take more money and time. I was all good with that in the past, but I'm not down for nearly as much these days.

Every once in a while you can find an awesome deal on a clean International Scout. Cornbinders just aren't as "cool" to a fair bit of the market. I've seen nice ones at very reasonable prices.

In all honesty I'd steer you away from old CJ jeeps. I love em, but these days they either need a lot of work, or they are really expensive. Sometimes you buy the spendy one and find it needs a lot of work as well. If you buy one it has to be a labor of love. The rectangular headlight YJ Wranglers can be cool, I'd look for 91 and later with the fuel injected 4.0L. The 4cyl had injection from the start (87) and you can sometimes find one that has been treated gently for a little less money. The 97-06 TJ Wranglers are awesome. They are also at a minimum twice(good ones 3x) what you want to spend.

XJ Cherokees, the little boxy ones are good options. Again you want the 4.0L. Avoid any with significant rust or if they have been wheeled hard, the unibody construction can suffer from either. I recall you mentioning being a taller type human, I'm 6'0" and while the wife's XJ is OK for me I pretty much max it out.

Toyotas can be much the same as jeeps, project or pricey. Being as I'm a jeep guy I'll let other speak to the yotas.

Full size Broncos and Blazers are also cool toys.

Good luck. Especially at your budget. I've put more than that into an axle, but that was for hardcore stuff.

I used to be manual trans guy, but rock crawling swung me to the slush box side. Unless you really prefer a stick, I'd go auto if you can.

On the other trans front, my experience is limited but Daisy Taylor gets a thumbs up. ;)

el_chupo_
04-09-21, 18:54
Not a daily, not driven regularly, needs to be reliable, and relatively inexpensive?

I would find a 2 door Jeep XJ (preferably 97-01, but easier to find older 2 doors) and do the door hinge cut to make them removable. Pull the carpet out and line the whole interior.

When its needed, rebuild the 4.0. around 350k on a pair of them without any issues for me 15 years ago.

Make sure you get the chryco 8.25 rear axle. Auto or manual is fine in these. Small lift, something like a 31" tire, and a winch will give you a lot of capability for about $10k.

You could be ready to rebuild a early first gen 4 runner, but that will cost a ton. I would skip a big body Bronco or Blazer unless I was dropping an LS into it.

Newer stuff, Jeep or Bronco are you only viable option for open air. Bronco with a sasquatch package would be high on the list, if you are down with a snail.

EDIT: And I just recently picked up a higher mileage 4th gen 4runner, if you are good without the open air, much nicer than I thought. I bought this after getting out of a Jeep Wrangler unlimited rubicon, as I needed a truck as the work vehicle, but missed having an SUV for a few reasons.

utahjeepr
04-09-21, 19:10
I've recently seen the new Bronco in person. Pass. I was chubbed out with all the publicity photos. It suffered in person, YMMV.

Couple things going for the newer Wranglers, but unless your up for new DD I think they are out. For a regular driver the hardtop security is a must, but the multi piece hardtops are manageable. You can get 4 doors. Downside is they are BIG, at least for Jeeps. IDK, I really dig the Gladiator. Probably not enough to drop the cash though.

utahjeepr
04-09-21, 19:25
As I alluded to in the other thread, if you are down for a project find an M-715. Properly fixed up they are just too cool. Mine runs a Cummins 6bt drivetrain, but pretty much ANY other power train is easier. Spring over lift with the stock springs fits 44s. It's may not go with an SR-25 though, more of a match with the LMT MWS. :p

I highly recommend one for flexing on mere civilian trucks. ;)

Rogue556
04-09-21, 20:15
Look into the 2003-2009 Lexus GX470.

They can be found for under $10,000 if you look around. They are the American version of the Toyota Landcruiser 120 "Prado" that's sold around the world. They are the same basic powertrain as the V8 4th Gen Toyota 4Runners, and nearly all of the suspension components from the 4Runner and FJ Cruiser are interchangeable. They use the 4.7L V8 that the 100 series Landcruiser, 4Runner, Tundra, and Sequoia use.. but they wrap the drivetrain in a Landcruiser body with a Lexus interior. They are full time 4x4 with a center locking differential. Up until recently they were relatively unknown here in the US and most thought of them as soccer mom rides, but they have received a lot of attention lately and are starting to go up in price. You can also swap the 8.2 rear end from the 2010+ FJ cruisers and get a rear locker as well for a decent price, and they bolt right in. The GX470 is a very capable platform and because of the customer base that owned them, they are usually well taken care of, even with higher mileage.

Might be worth considering.. and Lexus seems to fit the KAC/HK theme too!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

daddyusmaximus
04-09-21, 20:16
I take it you're not mechanically inclined enough to try to build one... ? It's a good way to learn the ins & outs of how they work. OK, you kinda gotta already know quit a a bit, or at least a working knowledge. In any case, it will get you exactly what you want in the end, even if it does take you a long time. (depending on budget, and skills) Here's a thread on one I've been building from the frame up for around 3 years.... A 1980 Jeep CJ7.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?206566-How-to-build-a-Jeep-CJ7-bug-out-vehicle

Five_Point_Five_Six
04-09-21, 20:38
I take it you're not mechanically inclined enough to try to build one... ? It's a good way to learn the ins & outs of how they work. OK, you kinda gotta already know quit a a bit, or at least a working knowledge. In any case, it will get you exactly what you want in the end, even if it does take you a long time. (depending on budget, and skills) Here's a thread on one I've been building from the frame up for around 3 years.... A 1980 Jeep CJ7.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?206566-How-to-build-a-Jeep-CJ7-bug-out-vehicle

I've been following your thread for some time now and appreciate the work you're doing. I'm far too impatient to take on any projects that take that much time though, I rebuilt a Harley several years ago in about 18 months and that seemed like forever.

Firefly
04-09-21, 20:40
I like utility over glitz. I got the SR-25 because it is the best at what it does. If people would just save their money; it’s not too crazy a price. People will buy FALs and G3s when just saving buys you a real gun. I can burn water and my SR-25 has survived me.

Part of me is interested in the Bronco. Part of me wants a cheap thing to learn more about vehicles (I’m not a mechanic).

I sorta like Ford. I’ve spent my entire adult life in one. The 715 looks interesting.

I’m at a point where I am not going to mess with motorcycles. But I want something to get away with. I don’t want to sacrifice my daily driver (don’t ask, I won’t say) to do so.

Arik
04-09-21, 20:48
I like utility over glitz. I got the SR-25 because it is the best at what it does. If people would just save their money; it’s not too crazy a price. People will buy FALs and G3s when just saving buys you a real gun. I can burn water and my SR-25 has survived me.

Part of me is interested in the Bronco. Part of me wants a cheap thing to learn more about vehicles (I’m not a mechanic).

I sorta like Ford. I’ve spent my entire adult life in one. The 715 looks interesting.

I’m at a point where I am not going to mess with motorcycles. But I want something to get away with. I don’t want to sacrifice my daily driver (don’t ask, I won’t say) to do so.Nothing wrong with the mid to late 90s Ford Explorers.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

czgunner
04-09-21, 20:59
5k will get you into an OBD2 XJ Cherokee with the 4.0. Outstanding reliability. And rugged assuming you don't beat the piss out of it. It is unibody. You should have cash left over for small lift and tires, and maybe some bumpers.
After working on cars the last ten years, the longest lasting SUV hands down is the 4Runner, second would easily be a 4.0 XJ. They go for multiple 100k's.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

AndyLate
04-09-21, 21:03
70s or early 80s 4x4 shortbed 1/2 truck is pretty practical and will get you most places offroad except tight trails. GMC/Chevy are probably the easiest and cheapest to find parts for.

IME the smaller (Ford Ranger, Tacoma, etc.) 4x4 trucks are pretty capable offroad as well, but you are pretty tall and may be cramped in the cab of a 2 dr mini truck.

If you just want to get off the beaten track, pretty much any 4x4 will get you there, but the smaller and shorter they are, the less restricted.

Jeep meets your open air requirement and has great aftermarket support.

Andy

mattiep321
04-09-21, 21:30
FF, Bro, 1997-2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ is what you want. No, they aren't all "cheap" but with some looking in the right places you can find an excellent deal for a 4.0 liter straight 6 for around 5k and you have all the options a Jeep gives: Soft top or Hard top, cheap parts, up to 33" tires without changing gears (depending on if you like shifting or not) and so much more. Need to replace the transfer case? You can find used NP231s pretty cheap that will do ($100 - 200 all day long). Plus they can be lifted a little without messing around with driveshaft angles or anything, up to 3" is gtg on 33's with 3.73 gears common in most of the 5 speed 4.0 liter TJs.

Mine is a 2000 Tub on a 2003 frame from Florida, with a Dana 44 rear axle and an ARB locker on a 4" lift running 35's:

390ish
04-09-21, 21:34
Isuzu rodeo with the 3.2 and a 5 speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THCDDM4
04-09-21, 21:56
Going to shooting land and or mountains. Nothing crazy like mud bogging. Won’t be a daily driver. Would like an open air vehicle. It will be a toy so $5kish.

My DREAM vehicle would be like this but for tall people.

https://img.hmn.com/fit-in/900x506/filters:upscale()/stories/2018/06/62979503-770-0@2X.jpg

$5K will be tough. If you want to stick in the $7K range you could actually get a good but worn in lates 90’s 4runner. The gen 3 4runner is a good truck. Not open air top, so if that’s the most important aspect, you gotta go another route.

However, you can find them with high 200’s low 300’s miles range for $7K and they will keep going with some love.

If you really want an open air top vehicle with reliability you could search for a first gen 4runner, they are hard to find though.

If you get a Jeep in the $5-$7K range, or any Jeep really- be prepared to wrench on it or find a cheap mechanic who does good work and you can trust.

The new Bronco looked swell in photos. It’s pretty disappointing in real life in my opinion. Time will tell, but my guess is like all other fords it’s gonna have transmission issues. So if you go that route, I’d suggest driving it to 75K miles and selling it before you get into transmission replacement time.

gunnerblue
04-09-21, 23:24

Shower me with knowledge and help me pick another Flymobile that isn’t too crazy expensive for SR-25 and SP1 Outdoor Adventures.

VROOM VROOM

Personally I bought a SxS (Honda Pioneer 1000-5) for these kind of things but most places I go I can just leave from my house. If you'll have to trailer it may become an issue for you.

Otherwise I'd look at a 80-series Land Cruiser that isn't rusted out (big issue with these). Even left as stock, an extremely capable off roader and not bad on the highway either. Even with mileage well into six figures, the engines in these are very reliable if they'd been well maintained.

Early 2000's half ton pickups may be a good option as well. My daily driver is an 06 f150 with 150k and is completely reliable.

As far as a sound system goes, aftermarket Bluetooth setups are an easy install.

Todd.K
04-09-21, 23:55
Have you considered a crown vic at auction and a sawzall? You said you like driving a Ford.

Add a limited slip if it doesn’t have one and you can take on more off-road than 90 percent of lifted trucks will ever see.

Outside of the people who go looking for super hardcore trails, most underestimate what any stock truck/SUV can do.

It’s going to be pretty hard to nail all your wants at that price, but you definitely don’t need a roided out jacked up monster truck to go out and have fun. I see older Jeep’s as never ending projects more than just being reliable.

MountainRaven
04-10-21, 00:01
desu

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/001/274/502/5b5.png

I can probably work em down maybe.

I imagine these new Broncos are going for more than MSRP. But I get the appeal.

Pacific5th
04-10-21, 05:10
For 5k may I suggest a second generation 4Runner? There kind of the bastard child’s of 4 runners cause they lack the removable top of a 1rst gen and most came with the 3.0 that everyone hates and has a overblown (in my opinion) bad rap. I picked up a 2 door model last year which is probably the rarest of all 4runners for $2300. I could have gotten a decent 4 door for a bit less. Mine ran when I got it but had some know issues like bad CV’s and valve cover leaks. I pretty much did the whole front end (CV’s, bearings, rotors/pads/caliper’s) Bilstien 4600’s all around, valve covers/rear cam seals, O2 sensor and a full tune up, Manual hubs, and some other stuff. Anyways I have had it over a year now and it’s a great rig. Mine has 4.56 gears and a manual and is a beast off road with 31’s. For a weekend toy they are hard to beat.

AndyLate
04-10-21, 05:40
I see older Jeep’s as never ending projects more than just being reliable.

My '48 CJ2 has been a project for 30+ years. My Dad first, then I. It needs pretty major work now and mainly holds my garage floor down.

Andy

VLODPG
04-10-21, 05:43
Not sure if available but have you thought of a Mahindra ROXOR?

mattiep321
04-10-21, 06:35
I love the guys saying Jeeps equal need a good mechanic, and yes I'm biased. Let me ask you: how do you think those late 90s Wranglers got 200k on them, sitting in a shop? The 4.0 is a 400k engine all day long, and the transmissions tend do 250k if treated well. I guess I'm just lucky 2x over, huh?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

THCDDM4
04-10-21, 07:16
I love the guys saying Jeeps equal need a good mechanic, and yes I'm biased. Let me ask you: how do you think those late 90s Wranglers got 200k on them, sitting in a shop? The 4.0 is a 400k engine all day long, and the transmissions tend do 250k if treated well. I guess I'm just lucky 2x over, huh?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

It’s a simple numbers game and reality. Jeep is a lifestyle, a marketing campaign on steroids, but quality and reliability across numbers just isn’t there.

Sample size of 2? Glad they worked out for you. I’ve owned several Jeep’s- including a 90’s 4.0 and wanted to love them, got tired of wrenching constantly.

I hear Taurus makes great Guns as well...

mattiep321
04-10-21, 07:56
It’s a simple numbers game and reality. Jeep is a lifestyle, a marketing campaign on steroids, but quality and reliability across numbers just isn’t there.

Sample size of 2? Glad they worked out for you. I’ve owned several Jeep’s- including a 90’s 4.0 and wanted to love them, got tired of wrenching constantly.

I hear Taurus makes great Guns as well...

Thanks for playing: was the Taurus comment really necessary?

How many does "several" mean? I told you I owned and enjoyed my sample size of 2, so please let's compare apples to apples. Please include quantity, year and model. Then list the issues you had with your "several" 90's Jeeps. The REALITY is that the Jeep 4.0 is an amazingly bomb-proof engine, ask around. Yes, that doesn't mean that other items in Jeeps get the JD Power highest rating, but without details your argument against them is weak.

Buying a clapped out 4 runner when you want an open concept is kind of missing the point if you want the option to fold the top down, yeah? Jeep Wranglers in the rust belt rust out fast, true story. But a 100k - 150k mile TJ from a clean southern state can last without issues (other than consumables) for 300 or 400k miles before the engine has issues, again, don't trust me, ask around. I like them because they are such a simple vehicle and easy and cheap to fix if something like the clutch goes out - for me anyway. The added benefit of their offroad capability and the insane aftermarket is what I like about mine.

The truth is that any older high mileage vehicle you buy is going to have the potential for issues, so by all means be prepared to wrench BUT I would add be smart and only fix the stuff you really can handle. I happen to rebuild engines and change gears in axles very comfortably with excellent results, but some may be limited to changing out O2 sensors or changing oil. Point is buy the cleanest, lowest mileage 4x4 you can afford for your purpose. I prefer the Jeep platform because I am comfortable working on vehicles and own a 72 Nova with an LS, a 34 Dodge pickup with an LS swap, my current Jeep, My 2000 Silverado and...wait for it...my 2017 4 Runner. You could make the argument that I'm comfortable wrenching and FF isn't, and I wouldn't argue the point BUT any pre 2000 vehicle with over 100k miles is going to have some needs. Jeep Wranglers are stupid simple and parts are so cheap: if you can build an upper, you can fix your Jeep and it will last.

My advice would be to drive one of the options you are considering - if you want an open air vehicle, drive a few of those in that configuration. There's nothing like driving into the woods, into a field, or crawling the mall with the top down in the summer.

mattiep321
04-10-21, 07:56
Double Tap brought to you by Google Chrome

Jsp10477
04-10-21, 08:15
Find yourself a mid to late 70’sF150 or Chevy 1500 4x4 SWB. With 33-12.50’s and a locking rear diff they are very capable off road. 9” ford rear diffs are tougher than the 10 bolt chevys. Dana 44 front axles hold up good unless you go over a 35” tire. 1 ton axles are a direct swap for the chevys. NP 205 transfer cases will last forever. 78 & 79 Broncos, and Full size K5’s are slick too but will cost a bit more.

Jsp10477
04-10-21, 08:16
Find yourself a mid to late 70’sF150 or Chevy 1500 4x4 SWB. With 33-12.50’s and a locking rear diff they are very capable off road. 9” ford rear diffs are tougher than the 10 bolt chevys. Dana 44 front axles hold up good unless you go over a 35” tire. 1 ton axles are a direct swap for the chevys. NP 205 transfer cases will last forever. 78 & 79 Broncos, and Full size K5’s are slick too but will cost a bit more.

Firefly
04-10-21, 08:55
Lots of good info here. Lots to take in.

$5k isn’t totally hard and fast. I’m willing to pay more if worth it. I just like a good deal.

I’d like to know why the new Bronco is underwhelming. I get Toyota having a good record but some of the Jeeps seem okay.

Per Crown Vics, while they’re all I will use as a work vehicle; I simply could never own one as a personal vehicle. I just gotta have some kind of separation there.

Arik
04-10-21, 09:27
So I didn't read all the responses. With that said....

I was looking for a basic 4x4 a few years ago. My price range was less than yours because at the time I was going to use it as a second car, mostly a winter and occasional weekend car.

I looked at everything with emphasis on older stuff. Im not a tech guy not into gizmos or gadgets so power windows and functional AC is all I really care for. What I found was most of the stuff from the late 80s into the early 00s was by and large reliable. Problem today is that a lot of it is well used by now and/or rusted to shit (depending on where you live).

I really wanted a Wrangler but it's size was the main drawback for me. No space for anything. If I'm going to spend the gas money i may as well have something that can transport a tv/stove/fridge/small couch...etc...or room to sleep in if camping. That may be something to think about if you plan on hunting or camping.

95-02 Jeep Cherokee sport 4ltr straight 6. Same time frame Ford Explorer 4ltr and Blazer 4.3ltr
86-03 Pathfinders.
4Runner ...pick a year

If you want to go bigger mid 90s 2dr Tahoe 5.7ltr v8. Ford Expedition 4.7ltr V8 (Crown Vic motor). Toyota Sequoia 4.7

If you wanna go economy but have the 4wd Chevy/Geo Tracker, Suzuki Vitara. You're not winning races (they're 4 and later 6 cylinder) but they'll get you where you want to go. Probably not going to be easy to find one. Out of production for like 20 years but you never know. Also you may not fit in one! [emoji16]

If you want one and done then I'd go with the late 90s -04 Lexus GX470. Literally million mile engines and transmissions. And most of them weren't beat on. Only thing I'd do is get rid of the airbag suspension for regular shocks and struts. And still have great resale value!

Besides, tires play a huge role in off roading. If this the type of places you plan on going any 4x4 will work

https://youtu.be/538oZMNJ_JE

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

utahjeepr
04-10-21, 10:28
Go big or go home!

Pics are old, when I was living in CA. My L.A. daily driver. Everyone needs a convertible in CA.

http://www.m715zone.com/vb/pages/galleries/mempics/utahjeeper/utahjeeper.html

ETA: Those are 11R22.5 big truck tires, 42" tall. Before I did the spring over lift on it to get more tire clearance. :p Top comes off so no headroom issues!

Firefly
04-10-21, 10:35
Go big or go home!

Pics are old, when I was living in CA. My L.A. daily driver. Everyone needs a convertible in CA.

http://www.m715zone.com/vb/pages/galleries/mempics/utahjeeper/utahjeeper.html

If I wanted one, how much would it realistically cost?

MountainRaven
04-10-21, 11:08

I Googled it and one website has them for sale from $2500 to $6500.

utahjeepr
04-10-21, 11:21

First you gotta find one, they used to be cheap. They made like 30,000 of all variants, maybe 24,000 basic trucks. In all seriousness they are a niche project vehicle. Way cool to own and drive, but a reliable runner would be work. Mine was a runner when I bought it ($3000, in 2001?), but I intended to make it a project driver/tow rig. I was the first guy to ever put a Cummins in one of these, so... $ and time. For your purposes I know it could be much less involved, but it all hinges on the condition of what you could find to start with.

Probably a bad idea. Hell, I did it so that means it is almost certainly a bad idea. ;)

Todd.K
04-10-21, 14:07
I owned a couple of IH Scouts when I was younger, so I have enjoyed topless wheeling. Next best thing is an SUV with a full roll down rear window.

I’m not anti Jeep, but if I wanted to buy an older Tacoma or 4Runner I’d just make sure it doesn’t look like it was beat on by a teenager. An older Jeep and I’d be researching a ton of stuff online and finding a Jeep guy to come look at it with me.

Spiffums
04-10-21, 18:01

VROOM VROOM

Probably already said but "You wont hear nothing but screaming at your passengers over the roar of mudders on pavement.......It's a Jeep Thang!"

Adrenaline_6
04-11-21, 18:12
You say you bought the SR-25 because it is the best at what it does and favor utility over glitz. Hate to break it to you,, but 5K doesn't get you an SR-25 in the 4x4 world. You will be getting a DPMS and a worn out one at that.

Someone mentioned the Lexus GX470. Sure it has glitz, just like the SR-25 does, but that 4.7 litre V8 is as dependable as it gets. The aftermarket support is great. It's also a Landcruiser (a Prado but still a Landcruiser). The SR-25 of the 4x4 world.

Firefly
04-11-21, 18:28
You say you bought the SR-25 because it is the best at what it does and favor utility over glitz. Hate to break it to you,, but 5K doesn't get you an SR-25 in the 4x4 world. You will be getting a DPMS and a worn out one at that.

Someone mentioned the Lexus GX470. Sure it has glitz, just like the SR-25 does, but that 4.7 litre V8 is as dependable as it gets. The aftermarket support is great. It's also a Landcruiser (a Prado but still a Landcruiser). The SR-25 of the 4x4 world.

Interesting. They are Japanese and around 10kish...

How well are they lifted?

Adrenaline_6
04-11-21, 18:46

Here are some examples of what can be done. Don't pay attention to the pricing as this dealer finds nice 470s,460,s and Landcruisers then modifies them. Nice ones for sure though. Just showing you what can be done and how they can look.

https://www.kingschariot.com/inventory/page-1.html?type=SUVs&sort=MakeModel&leadsource=Showroom|kings_chariot

Adrenaline_6
04-11-21, 18:58

You can learn about them and the how to here:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/gx470-prado120.237/

utahjeepr
04-11-21, 19:29
There were a ton of those over in OZ. Over there they were Toyota and had diesels, but they were real common. Says a lot really, not just a luxo-ute.

Adrenaline_6
04-11-21, 19:59
There were a ton of those over in OZ. Over there they were Toyota and had diesels, but they were real common. Says a lot really, not just a luxo-ute.

Yea, the lucky blokes down under get the turbo diesels. I don't get why it isn't an option here.

Todd.K
04-11-21, 20:17
Yea, the lucky blokes down under get the turbo diesels. I don't get why it isn't an option here.

California.

The same reason you can’t buy a gas can that works anymore.

Firefly
04-11-21, 20:34
I hate living in a “free country”.

I just want old metal gas cans and shit that works

dmd08
04-11-21, 21:07
My fun rig is a 100 series land cruiser. I've taken it over many passes here in CO that you wouldn't think it would go and I'm not even locked. I would second the GX470/460 if you're looking for a reliable, surprisingly capable offroader. It's not a hard core rock crawler though if that's what you're looking for. I'm likely adding a 460 later this year.

Firefly
04-11-21, 21:15
Looking kinda hard at the 460 now. I’m not going to be doing hardcore rock tumbling. Just a vehicle I don’t mind taking off the beaten path on occasion that has aftermarket support.

It also looks roomy. I have pretty long legs. Think Shaq. And I want to be comfortable.

Can they haul campers?

utahjeepr
04-11-21, 22:02

I'd love one of the solid axle turbo diesel Nissan Patrols they had in OZ. They got some cool stuff. Not sure what to think of the 6 wheel Holden "El Camino" though.

Looking kinda hard at the 460 now. I’m not going to be doing hardcore rock tumbling. Just a vehicle I don’t mind taking off the beaten path on occasion that has aftermarket support.

It also looks roomy. I have pretty long legs. Think Shaq. And I want to be comfortable.

Can they haul campers?

They hauled trailers in OZ. Not big ones, but their campers ain't second homes like up here. I'm guessing they could drag a smaller US camper just fine.

ETA: What most of us would call mild trail running, the Aussies call driving. The same in Central/South America, and the same vehicles are common there also.

MountainRaven
04-11-21, 23:34

Can they haul campers?

My father and I are both around 6'6" tall and we both fit comfortably in my GX470. I don't take it off-road often, but it has worked really, really well for me when I have.

Adrenaline_6
04-12-21, 07:38

Can they haul campers?

Off road capable campers are another Aussie specialty, although overlanding has really caught on here in the US and I expect US companies to start making quality products to match, but right now there are very few.

The off road campers are double the cost though because they are simply made better...down to the smallest details. Hinges, latches, suspension, paneling, etc....you name it...made to last. The Aussies and South Africans have been doing it a lot longer than we have. Pretty much anywhere your 4x4 can go, those trailers can go as long as you can tow it. Overlanding is a cool rabbit hole to go down. The 270 awnings, 12 volt refrigerators, roof top tents, slide out kitchens, and aftermarket suspensions are cool as sh*t.

Here is a popular line of off-road trailers from down under. Many of the good brands they have, don't even offer them outside of Aussieland.

https://www.blackseriescamper.com/

https://explorationoutfitters.com/pages/patriot-campers-usa

Todd.K
04-12-21, 10:35
Can they haul campers?

Yes, 6500lbs. If you are looking at newish lighter built ones that is roughly up to the medium sized ones.

I wouldn’t recommend anywhere near the max

Arik
04-12-21, 14:04
Never mind already been answered

el_chupo_
04-13-21, 22:32
I think the GX is a great option, I had a hard time deciding between one and a 4runner myself, but the one I got popped up at a stupid price...

Personally, I would go 470 instead of the newer 460 if long term reliability and offroad use was preferred. Longer and more renowned track record, better motor (slightly, and IMO), actual 4wd shifter (the electronic 4wd switch is known to be sticky if not used). Its 600lbs lighter, better angles, etc.

On the 460 I like the facelift model a lot more, but thats just me.

Depending on comfort and needs, a Lexus LX can be considered as well, dont rule them out either if you like a bigger vehicle. Roughly the same size as the GX460 if you look at early 2000s models.

hotrodder636
04-14-21, 07:15
Make sure you are looking at the actual Bronco, NOT the Bronco Sport—the sport is a soccer mom vehicle.

I just got a 2020 Tacoma TRD Pro last August and I love it. Enjoyed taking it on forest service and logging trails. Got bit hard by the off-road bug and am looking for a 78-80 Bronco. But to find one that is in any decent working condition, they are way pricier than I am looking to spend on a toy-especially considering I am looking at 8-10k for suspension. I was also looking for a 74-76 Bronco but DAMN those are insane—people have turned them into show vehicles.

Lots of good info here. Lots to take in.

$5k isn’t totally hard and fast. I’m willing to pay more if worth it. I just like a good deal.

I’d like to know why the new Bronco is underwhelming. I get Toyota having a good record but some of the Jeeps seem okay.

Per Crown Vics, while they’re all I will use as a work vehicle; I simply could never own one as a personal vehicle. I just gotta have some kind of separation there.

Adrenaline_6
04-14-21, 07:34
I think the GX is a great option, I had a hard time deciding between one and a 4runner myself, but the one I got popped up at a stupid price...

Personally, I would go 470 instead of the newer 460 if long term reliability and offroad use was preferred. Longer and more renowned track record, better motor (slightly, and IMO), actual 4wd shifter (the electronic 4wd switch is known to be sticky if not used). Its 600lbs lighter, better angles, etc.

On the 460 I like the facelift model a lot more, but thats just me.

Depending on comfort and needs, a Lexus LX can be considered as well, don't rule them out either if you like a bigger vehicle. Roughly the same size as the GX460 if you look at early 2000s models.

Yea...I was thinking the same thing about the 460 vs the 470 when I was shopping around for them. The one thing I liked about the 460 was that they went to a timing chain vs belt like the 470. It isn't a problem if you change it, the 4.7L engine is an absolute proven workhorse, but...one less thing to worry about if the 4.6L is just as dependable.

I ended up going full Landcruiser and found a deal on a 2014 LX570 with less than 90k miles on it. They don't hold their value as much as the actual badged Landcruiser even though it is pretty much the same vehicle with Lexus badges on it and a pretty nice AHC suspension to boot. I think that's going to change soon, now that the LC is discontinued in the US and only the LX570 will be offered. That 5.7L is a beast and workhorse too, so I am good.

gunnerblue
04-14-21, 11:27
LX450's are nice as you get, basically, a 80-series land cruiser with factory locking front and rear diffs.

utahjeepr
04-16-21, 15:48
Just looked at a 93 Ford Bronco parked out for sale. Straight 6, automatic, 160K. Looks nice. Like the OJ Bronco only its freaking orange with a white top. Askin $6500. So there are good ones out there in your target range. Too bad it's 2000 miles away. :p

I sure as hell don't need it, but I'm thinking about buying it anyway.

hotrodder636
04-19-21, 05:35
That is close to my price range! I am not overly concerned with color as I just want a dedicated off-road rig. Orange works well down here in TN anyways.
Just looked at a 93 Ford Bronco parked out for sale. Straight 6, automatic, 160K. Looks nice. Like the OJ Bronco only its freaking orange with a white top. Askin $6500. So there are good ones out there in your target range. Too bad it's 2000 miles away. :p

I sure as hell don't need it, but I'm thinking about buying it anyway.

utahjeepr
04-19-21, 10:41
That is close to my price range! I am not overly concerned with color as I just want a dedicated off-road rig. Orange works well down here in TN anyways.

I really liked that it wasn't beat and the straight 6 is a great motor. I was tempted, but passed. Too many trucks.

ETA: I actually only pulled in to look at it because of this thread. Then a Bronco almost followed me home. :p

gunnerblue
04-19-21, 11:02
Gotta a link or location?

utahjeepr
04-19-21, 11:34
Parked off the road with a sign in Saratoga Springs. I'm on the road in AZ at the moment and I don't have the guys number. Sorry.