PDA

View Full Version : Favorite large pistol primer caliber / gun?

Ron3
04-09-21, 19:53
New to reloading, scored a few bricks of large pistol primers.

They are slightly less rare than very rare SPP's currently.

What do you load with LPP's?

m1a_scoutguy
04-09-21, 20:19
Never really had any issues with any of them ! If I bought Local most were Winchester, if online whatever was available & cheap !! Many Moons ago Wolf Primers were $14 bucks per 1K,,I burned a lot of those bad boys up ! In this day and age don't be fussy, get what ya can,LOL !! I will say many competitors like Federal cuz there cup is a tad softer/thinner than most I believe. Be glad ya found some & didn't have to refinance your House ! :( I always used Standard LPP for 45ACP & Mag primers for 44 mag.

Uni-Vibe
04-09-21, 22:48
I use Winchester LPP in 45 ACP and 10mm.

gunnerblue
04-09-21, 23:08
45 ACP, 45 Colt, 44 Special and 50 AE

pinzgauer
04-10-21, 07:35
45, 10mm, and 41 mag

Ron3
04-10-21, 07:38
I have .45 acp ammo but its S&B and I read reports of them having very tight or shallow primer pockets making the less desirable to reload.

Family member has 10mm but its alluminum case.

I have .44 Russian and .44 Special ammo / cases.

.50 AE...now there is cartridge to save money reloading. (Even more than .44's and .45 Colt)

m1a_scoutguy
04-10-21, 09:31
I have .45 acp ammo but its S&B and I read reports of them having very tight or shallow primer pockets making the less desirable to reload.

.50 AE...now there is cartridge to save money reloading. (Even more than .44's and .45 Colt)

I have loaded S&B cases,9mm I believe & yes I think the primer pocket is a little tight, seems like I mite clean them up a little with my primer pocket uniform tool. I have shot close to 20K of S&B small pistol primers with 0 issues or misfires, wish I had more!

Ron3
04-10-21, 12:05
I have loaded S&B cases,9mm I believe & yes I think the primer pocket is a little tight, seems like I mite clean them up a little with my primer pocket uniform tool. I have shot close to 20K of S&B small pistol primers with 0 issues or misfires, wish I had more!

I have one of those tool (Lee) but haven't taken it out of the package yet.

So, it can be used to open the pocket a tiny bit? What if a shallow pocket is the issue?

Bimmer
04-10-21, 18:37
'Til now, only 10mm Mag.

I'm about to start loading .45LC, too.

AndyLate
04-10-21, 19:04
44 SPL/MAG, 45 Colt, and 45 ACP (some 45 ACP cases are SPP nowadays). They are all my favorites.

Andy

Wildcat
04-11-21, 00:32

The S&B 45's often have very little lead-in to the primer pocket. This can challenge how well aligned your primer seating equipment may be; probably the reason for complaints. I don't think the pockets are shallow and I've reloaded thousands of S&B 45 acp brass. It does help to put a very slight chamfer or radius on the lip of the primer pocket. I have a decrimping swager that does the job nicely.
CCI brass has similar construction and gets the same treatment.

Ron3
04-11-21, 08:54
The S&B 45's often have very little lead-in to the primer pocket. This can challenge how well aligned your primer seating equipment may be; probably the reason for complaints. I don't think the pockets are shallow and I've reloaded thousands of S&B 45 acp brass. It does help to put a very slight chamfer or radius on the lip of the primer pocket. I have a decrimping swager that does the job nicely.
CCI brass has similar construction and gets the same treatment.

Thanks!