PDA

View Full Version : Comercial No-Spec

prepare
04-10-21, 07:41
The civilian version of the AR has been plagued with commercial no-spec components;
Colt large pin lowers
Semi-auto BCG's
Semi-auto pocket milled lowers
Aluminum gas blocks
MIM or other inferior alloy parts
Chinese fasteners (YFS gas key screws, chinese gas block screws)
Comercial buffer tubes

The introduction of commercial no-spec components has lead to a lot problems in terms of interchangeability was well as just plain inferior and cheaply made no-spec components.

While there are a few enhancements and improvements over genuine mil-spec it is now possible to have a nearly all mil-spec carbine with the exception of the FCG.

What you get with mil-spec is what Mike Mihalski at SOLGW refers to as "predictability of performance". Meaning wear items and service life are reliably predictable vs unknown.

Red*Lion
04-10-21, 08:27
So don't knowingly buy inferior and/or unknown items. Stick to known producers of quality products.

rjacobs
04-10-21, 09:36
8 pages minimum

arptsprt
04-10-21, 10:09
Lol. Is that established bar for the o/u? Might as well bring Colt and the TDP into fold and shoot for 25 pages full of hate and discontent.

8 pages minimum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GH41
04-10-21, 10:16
Don't forget to mention those non-compliant roll pins!!

tehpwnag3
04-10-21, 10:17
Probably sh/could lock the thread now.

8 pages minimum

prepare
04-10-21, 10:37
One of the points of the post is that it has taken many years for a true mil-spec AR (minus FCG) to be available/accessible.

rjacobs
04-10-21, 10:46
Lol. Is that established bar for the o/u? Might as well bring Colt and the TDP into fold and shoot for 25 pages full of hate and discontent.

Im thinking to bring back "the chart" and petition for Rob_S to be re-instated LOL

docsherm
04-10-21, 11:20
I am not sure I see if there is a point to this post. Ues there are sh!tty parta out there..... and many are "MIL-SPEC". Don't get too wrapped around the whole mil-spec thing......

DON'T BUY CRAP AND YOU WILL BE OK.

prepare
04-10-21, 12:50
As Mike at SOLGW says, this isn't common knowledge for industry outsiders.

lysander
04-10-21, 15:30
One of the points of the post is that it has taken many years for a true mil-spec AR (minus FCG) to be available/accessible.
Not entirely true.

For the longest time the only place to get AR parts was from Colt's or surplus military parts, both I would say are "true mil-spec". Only in the last 14 years has this changed.

Coal Dragger
04-10-21, 15:34
8 pages minimum

Someone post up "The Chart"!

prepare
04-10-21, 16:12
Someone post up "The Chart"!

What are you contributing?

prepare
04-10-21, 16:15
Not entirely true.

For the longest time the only place to get AR parts was from Colt's or surplus military parts, both I would say are "true mil-spec". Only in the last 14 years has this changed.

I only began the deep dive into the minutia a few years ago and I don't have an engineering background. Just an interest for the details and a few reference books. I just recently got Black Rifle by Blake Stevens!

Weren't the early Colt AR 15's large pin lowers with semi auto carriers?

mark5pt56
04-10-21, 17:06
http://i.imgur.com/60xnshk.jpg (https://imgur.com/60xnshk)

lysander
04-10-21, 21:30
I only began the deep dive into the minutia a few years ago and I don't have an engineering background. Just an interest for the details and a few reference books. I just recently got Black Rifle by Blake Stevens!

Weren't the early Colt AR 15's large pin lowers with semi auto carriers?
No.

Those were short lived products from around 1991 to 2005.

Vegas
04-10-21, 21:43
Im thinking to bring back "the chart" and petition for Rob_S to be re-instated LOL

I kinda miss those days lol

ggammell
04-10-21, 22:10
I kinda miss those days lol

This is the true rabbit hole.