PDA

View Full Version : Question for soldiers about vaccination

Uni-Vibe
04-10-21, 10:22
I read that 40 percent of Marines won't agree to be vaccinated for Covid? I thought soldiers wouldn't be given a choice. Anybody know what's going on?

Zane1844
04-10-21, 10:55
I’m a DoD civilian, the sailors I work with are given the option to get the vaccine but it hasn’t been required. Unless something has changed.

While I was in the Army, we were forced to get whatever vaccine was mandated. So I’m sure once the DoD requires the shot, they’ll all get it.

AndyLate
04-10-21, 12:16
Its an experimental vaccine and voluntary consent is required to administer it. That is one of the conditions that the FDA placed when they granted emergency approval.

Andy

Red*Lion
04-10-21, 12:47
Its an experimental vaccine and voluntary consent is required to administer it. That is one of the conditions that the FDA placed when they granted emergency approval.

Andy

You might be right. I work for the VA and have not been told that I need to get the vaccine. It is being strongly encouraged, but it has not been mandated yet, like the flu shot.

ChattanoogaPhil
04-10-21, 13:43
Marines are young. 70% of enlisted marines are 24 and younger. They should be more concerned with the clap than Covid. Civilians that age haven't even been eligible for the Covid vaccine.

Red*Lion
04-10-21, 14:07
Marines are young. 70% of enlisted marines are 24 and younger. They should be more concerned with the clap than Covid. Civilians that age haven't even been eligible for the Covid vaccine.

All veterans of any age can get the covid vaccine through the VA.

Wake27
04-10-21, 15:09
It’s not fully approved through the FDA, and is therefore not mandatory to military personnel.

Yet.

However, I’ve seen significant pressure from the CoC to get the shot. They can’t technically make anyone, but certain OCONUS opportunities require it, so it’s one of those things you have to deal with if you want to go somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wake27
04-10-21, 15:10
Also, Marines aren’t Soldiers, they’re Marines.

Red*Lion
04-10-21, 15:24
Also, Marines aren’t Soldiers, they’re Marines.

Yes, thank God for that.

Coal Dragger
04-10-21, 15:37
Not sure if that's a dig at Marines or not.... all the crayon eating may have had a negative impact on my cognitive abilities.

Wake27
04-10-21, 18:37
Not sure if that's a dig at Marines or not.... all the crayon eating may have had a negative impact on my cognitive abilities.

It was actually for you guys, I feel like Marines get offended when they're referred to as soldiers haha.

ABNAK
04-10-21, 19:56

That's okay, it's not your fault.

:lol:

CRAMBONE
04-11-21, 01:05
Just become good friends with your Corpsman. Shot goes down the drain just like they with swine flu and bird flu, not speaking from experience or anything ;)

Leonidas24
04-11-21, 01:50
Just become good friends with your Corpsman. Shot goes down the drain just like they with swine flu and bird flu, not speaking from experience or anything ;)

Can confirm. If you're going to be best friends with anyone in a line platoon it should be the medic or your company's mechanics.

utahjeepr
04-11-21, 12:04
I'm really surprised they are given a choice. I don't remember EVER, being asked. Hell, sometimes I didn't even know what I was getting.

I also don't recall a time when it was just our Docs. Usually got stung by other HMs. I think once a HM becomes a Corpsman he gets put on the naughty list as far as other Navy medicos are concerned. Like us jarheads corrupt them or something.:rolleyes::cool:

But yeah, ALWAYS take care of Doc!!!

rero360
04-11-21, 12:23
I'm currently working at a vaccination site, a combination of army and air national guard, active duty army, fema, and state office of emergency services. I don't know the numbers for the other agencies, but for the guard, roughly 45% of us have declined the shot (that number is likely higher as some have the card saying they were given the shot, but didn't actually get it :cool:)

Coal Dragger
04-11-21, 13:08
Can confirm. If you're going to be best friends with anyone in a line platoon it should be the medic or your company's mechanics.

Add your armorers to that list. Otherwise you will NEVER get your weapons turned back in.

AndyLate
04-13-21, 07:16
We were told to "follow the science" during the run up to the elections.

The British Office of National Statistics says this about Covid risk "the risk of death to someone in their 20s is around 0.002%."

Now Biden is being asked to force service members to take the vaccine - ""Requiring DOD to obtain informed consent prior to vaccination is not only harmful to our national security, but contrary to the best interests of service members, their families, communities and colleagues."

The current administration (i.e. the democratic party) said they would not trust a vaccine developed under a Trump presidency but are now considering forcing a group of people who are not particularly threatened by Covid to be vaccinated.

Follow the science...

https://news.sky.com/story/does-the-astrazeneca-vaccine-still-pass-the-risk-benefit-analysis-for-young-people-12268407

https://www.upi.com/Defense-News/2021/03/25/Biden-vaccine-mandatory-military-members/5691616717083/

chuckman
04-13-21, 07:28

<---former HM (8404, 8427, 8401). I never, ever did that. That is NJP material. But I did know it was done. But me, I did 'lose' a few charts for A-hole NCOs and have to give them a full series of shots, again. Or blood draws. Or whatever.

We were doc, counselor, social worker, and had to 'feel' the platoon for the PS and PC. Always a tension between us and the PS/PC because we were often the go/no-go factor for Marines.

I'm really surprised they are given a choice. I don't remember EVER, being asked. Hell, sometimes I didn't even know what I was getting.

I also don't recall a time when it was just our Docs. Usually got stung by other HMs. I think once a HM becomes a Corpsman he gets put on the naughty list as far as other Navy medicos are concerned. Like us jarheads corrupt them or something.:rolleyes::cool:

But yeah, ALWAYS take care of Doc!!!

Blue side never knew what, exactly, to do with greenside medical folks (HMs or officers). So, they stayed at an arm's length. But I did a lot of the vax for our platoon/company/battalion, unless it was a massive roll-out for a regiment or higher, then yeah, it was all hands on deck, and no one knew who was shooting who.

I took care of my Marines; they took care of me.

markm
04-13-21, 14:12
Shit. I'd be PISSED if I was in the Mil and forced to put that fukkin poison in my body. :nono:

It's good to see that nearly half appear to be thinking logically.

just a scout
04-13-21, 17:40

Andy

[emoji23]

So was anthrax, botulinum, smallpox, and pyridostimine bromide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

utahjeepr
04-13-21, 18:17
[emoji23]

I know I got a few of those, maybe all. Nobody asked us. "Get in line; name, ssn, payroll sig on the form once you get stung; make sure S-1 can read it or you'll end up getting it again."

just a scout
04-13-21, 20:59
I know I got a few of those, maybe all. Nobody asked us. "Get in line; name, ssn, payroll sig on the form once you get stung; make sure S-1 can read it or you'll end up getting it again."

Delivered by nice gentlemen in sterile BDUs and Ray-Bans driving a HMMWV with no bumper numbers.

chuckman
04-14-21, 07:32
[emoji23]

We all got anthrax; some of us got small pox. No one I knew got botulism vax (worthless), and although we had the pyridostigmine pills, I told my guys to not take it unless I told them (which I never did).

Corse
04-14-21, 08:46
[emoji23]

I don’t believe the anthrax or smallpox are under any emergency approval and have been around for quite a while.

Also, the anthrax vaccination stopped for a few years after some people made some noise and the .mil had to figure out some legalities.

AndyLate
04-14-21, 09:03
Smallpox was the 1st recorded vaccine (1800s common use). World-wide smallpox vaccinations started in 1959.

.Mil screwed the pooch on Anthrax. I started the series twice but never finished. Anthrax vaccine was licensed in the 1970s.

chuckman
04-14-21, 09:10
Smallpox was the 1st recorded vaccine (1800s common use). World-wide smallpox vaccinations started in 1959.

.Mil screwed the pooch on Anthrax. I started the series twice but never finished. Anthrax vaccine was licensed in the 1970s.

I had all of the anthrax vax; it seemed each shot was worse than the one before.

Before smallpox vax, a physician would make a cut on an individual's arm, take a small 'dab' of blood from someone infected with smallpox, and put that 'dab' into the healthy subject to create antibodies. It usually worked; sometimes didn't and the person would get it and die. The healthy recipient would usually get quite sick for a few days before recovering.

Corse
04-14-21, 09:11
They definitely started it back up a while ago. I’m on “boosters”, only if I have to deploy at this point.

Artos
04-14-21, 09:42
Buddy of mine just called & said the 1st pfizer put him in the hospital for a week...got the shot in the AM & admitted in the PM. He's retired & only got it cuz he didn't want any hassles traveling / wife was nagging him. Said they ran every test imaginable including a spinal tap & he's otherwise perfectly healthy. He was here a month ago doing a 4473 & the wife & I gave our $0.02 about avoiding it short term.

The other vacs status thread thinks they halted the jj over 6 clots when multiple states have halted the jj in recent weeks due to adverse reactions...I would post this 411 over there but dissent / negativity to vacs is frowned upon. Sorry for the hijack & I would wager it's a lot more than 40% of Devil Dogs who are refusing the jab.

just a scout
04-14-21, 10:58
We all got anthrax; some of us got small pox. No one I knew got botulism vax (worthless), and although we had the pyridostigmine pills, I told my guys to not take it unless I told them (which I never did).

2ACR got all three in DS. It wasn’t voluntary. The PB tablets were command enforced because of the threat we faced.

just a scout
04-14-21, 10:59
I don’t believe the anthrax or smallpox are under any emergency approval and have been around for quite a while.

Also, the anthrax vaccination stopped for a few years after some people made some noise and the .mil had to figure out some legalities.

1990 they were experimental for use and under emergency orders for wartime use.

chuckman
04-14-21, 11:18
2ACR got all three in DS. It wasn’t voluntary. The PB tablets were command enforced because of the threat we faced.

There has been a metric crap-ton of issues with the botulinum vaccine. As I recall it was never even on the table for us.

The PB pills, yeah, we were told to take them. My company leadership pulled the corpsmen together along with the MO and asked what we thought. We said 'no.' We didn't advertise it though.

utahjeepr
04-14-21, 11:33
So anthrax was the one that had a schedule kinda like rabies shots right? If you didn't get them all, you had to start over.

I honestly can't remember what all I got back then. Just that I felt like a dartboard in an Irish pub.

chuckman
04-14-21, 11:47
So anthrax was the one that had a schedule kinda like rabies shots right? If you didn't get them all, you had to start over.

I honestly can't remember what all I got back then. Just that I felt like a dartboard in an Irish pub.

Five shots over 18 months. The first two were week 0 and week 4; if you missed week 4, you started back at week 0. After that we had a window as I recall of +/- a couple weeks of either side.

rero360
04-14-21, 13:03
I've had the first two Anthrax, probably have had three or four complete MMR series over the years as they keep losing the records of them.

3 AE
05-26-21, 12:10
I was an engineer on a civilian operated rotary wing repair ship that was deployed with a Marine Air Logistics Squadron during the first six months of OIF. Since we were under DoD control, all us, Merchant Mariners and USMC had to be vaccinated enroute to the Persian Gulf. I remember having to get the smallpox vaccination twice since the first one never developed that open sore/scab. The same thing happened with the second one. The "Doc" said I must have had a booster at one time so all was good to go. The anthrax series definitely played havoc with my system. After the first or second shot, I started to develop this insane itching on my lower legs, that I would scratch till they bled. Combine that with an engine room temperature between 105 to 140 degrees, I was one miserable dog for about a month. Thank goodness we were done with the mission by June, 2003.

On a side note, I was on an oil tanker that supplied fuel to a missile test range on Kwajalein Atoll. Nobody could go ashore until we had a cholera shot. Of a crew of twenty six over half of us experiencer headaches so bad we couldn't even stand up. I remember being in my rack, curled up in a fetal position, wailing like an injured dog. It took about six to eight hours for the headache to subside. Man, I sure wouldn't want to have to go through that again. Anyone here ever had that reaction to a cholera vaccine?

chuckman
05-26-21, 12:27
On a side note, I was on an oil tanker that supplied fuel to a missile test range on Kwajalein Atoll. Nobody could go ashore until we had a cholera shot. Of a crew of twenty six over half of us experiencer headaches so bad we couldn't even stand up. I remember being in my rack, curled up in a fetal position, wailing like an injured dog. It took about six to eight hours for the headache to subside. Man, I sure wouldn't want to have to go through that again. Anyone here ever had that reaction to a cholera vaccine?

I do not recall if I had a reaction; if I did, it must have been pretty benign since I don't remember. But...I had the vax, and then deployed I had cholera. Best weight loss program out there. I never knew diarrhea could look like clear running tap water.

Lawnchair 04
05-26-21, 13:07
All the marines in my unit were asked if it was available would they want it and I don’t know of any that said yes in the squadron. I would say way higher than 40% said no.

jbjh
05-26-21, 19:19
I do not recall if I had a reaction; if I did, it must have been pretty benign since I don't remember. But...I had the vax, and then deployed I had cholera. Best weight loss program out there. I never knew diarrhea could look like clear running tap water.

Wait until you do it on purpose when you have to go for a colonoscopy. Fun times!

grnamin
05-27-21, 10:32
https://clarksvillenow.com/local/unvaccinated-soldiers-should-not-expect-business-as-usual-summer-leave-says-fort-campbell-general/

If that's not forcing everyone in the 101st to get the vaccine, then I don't know what is.

Averageman
05-27-21, 10:41

It goes from clear running tap water to suddenly an alarming amount of blood in just a few hours later.

chuckman
05-27-21, 10:49
It goes from clear running tap water to suddenly an alarming amount of blood in just a few hours later.

I had some bleeding, but not a lot; but then, I was replacing volume 1:1 with IV fluids. Poor indigenous folks who could not do that it was a horrible way to die.

ABNAK
05-27-21, 12:56
I thought I read somewhere that the J&J vaccine is not acceptable to the military, it has to be either the Pfizer or Moderna. Anyone have info on this?

Averageman
05-27-21, 17:24
I had some bleeding, but not a lot; but then, I was replacing volume 1:1 with IV fluids. Poor indigenous folks who could not do that it was a horrible way to die.

I had it, the not so nice way and got an M113 med evac to the local MASH for a month or so. Do you know why they take your weapon while they MEDEVAC you?
I do.
I thought I was dying I couldn't believe I had that much blood inside me.

WillC
05-28-21, 03:25
I thought I read somewhere that the J&J vaccine is not acceptable to the military, it has to be either the Pfizer or Moderna. Anyone have info on this?

No truth in this whatsoever, I am DoD and chose the J&J simply because it uses the traditional adenovirus vaccination method. While there was pressure to get vaccinated the mRNA stuff was not mandated.

I was vaccinated by US Navy Corpsmen who were not instructed to have a preference, they were simply doing their job, no weirdness.