PDA

View Full Version : Who drills Colt lowers for front pivot pin detent and spring?

packinheavy
12-07-08, 11:03
I can't remember who does this and I want to have my 9mm Lightweight Sporter lower modified for the standard front pivot pin.

Thanks guys. :)

JBnTX
12-07-08, 11:11
ADCO can do it for 80 dollars.
http://www.adcofirearms.com/

Specialized Armament will do it for 50 dollars.
http://www.specializedarmament.com/

It doesn't seem like it would be that hard?

Colt can definately do it, they would be my first call.
Will they, is the question with them?

packinheavy
12-07-08, 11:24
Thanks JB.

ADCO was the one I was thinking of, but I couldn't remember for some reason.

I will check with both ADCO and SA.

PRGGodfather
12-07-08, 11:28
It is very easy to do yourself. A Dremel tool and go slowly.

packinheavy
12-07-08, 11:42
A man has got to know his limitations. :D

I will gladly pay the $50-80 to have someone else do the work vs. me possibly screwing it up.

BretShooter
12-07-08, 13:02
A man has got to know his limitations. :D
Harry Callahan, "Magnum Force"

Cold Zero
12-07-08, 15:38
Specialized Armament Warehouse.

Stickman
12-09-08, 20:55
Mark it, punch it, drill it, done. Its pretty simple, and takes all of 2 minutes.

markm
12-10-08, 08:10
Specialized Armament Warehouse.

That's who did mine.

Bushmaster-M4A3
12-10-08, 10:25
Anyone has instruction on how to do it yourself? I'll look into it if it's really doable with a Dremel and 2min, :cool:

JBnTX
12-10-08, 12:07
Anyone has instruction on how to do it yourself? I'll look into it if it's really doable with a Dremel and 2min, :cool:

Oh No! Not a Dremel!

Don't even think about using a hand held tool.
Not on a Colt lower.

Send it to ADCO or Specialized Armament and have it done properly.

sff70
12-10-08, 12:25
I, too, would send it to SAW or ADCO.

This can be a DIY project, but there a lot of ways for it to go wrong.

scottryan
12-10-08, 15:31
Mark it, punch it, drill it, done. Its pretty simple, and takes all of 2 minutes.

Why do you post this stuff?

It does not take 2 minutes to do.

You cannot do it with a hand held tool.

Scattergun
12-10-08, 18:34
any Machinist worthy of the name can do it.

Stickman
12-10-08, 20:12

I post this stuff it because I did it in less than 2 minutes with a cordless drill. :)

No, I hadn't been drinking.

scottryan
12-10-08, 20:29
I post this stuff it because I did it in less than 2 minutes with a cordless drill. :)

No, I hadn't been drinking.

I'm still calling bullshit.

Alaskapopo
12-10-08, 23:04

I have no dog in this fight but Stickman does not talk bullshit. He is a straight shooter.
Pat

Stickman
12-11-08, 21:35

I don't have my feelings hurt in the least, there is no question that I did it, your belief or lack of doesn't change that it was dirt simple.

I find it hard to imagine that I'm the only person here who has done this.

Stickman
12-11-08, 22:18
scottryan,

I halfway think you are just having fun with this thread, but on the off chance you aren't, here is a quick picture.

The flattened little section was there when I got it, the ding in the side next to the hole is probably from me. I drilled it out while on break from teaching a carbine course. It was something I had been meaning to do, and ran out to the shop while the guys were on lunch. I didn't bother anodizing where it was drilled out, and the hole is a smidge larger than the standard hole. I was in a hurry, and certainly could have done a better/ prettier job, but I've got no regrets in how it turned out.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Miscellaneous/0O2P8471-1028-Stick.jpg

packinheavy- If you are still active duty, guard, or reserve, talk to your CATM guys if you are reluctant to do it yourself.

scottryan
12-11-08, 22:51
Drilling a long aspect ratio hole precisely with a hand drill is not something that can be done accurately.

You either did this on a drill press or mill or didn't drill the hole its full length and didn't use a full length spring.

ETA: I see you didn't use a full length spring as you picture does not show a flat ground spring on the exposed end.

PRGGodfather
12-12-08, 00:22
I've done it, too. Pat Aherne (another cop and M4C member) has seen the work. It's flawless.

Simply, I used a Starrett punch to start where to drill. I used another pre-drilled lower to measure how far the drill bit needed to go and taped off the bit so I knew when to stop. I went slowly to be sure I was level on both the X and Y axis.

I used the punch again to locate where the oil/drainage hole needed to be, after measuring against the other lower.

I selected my drill bit based on the size of the hole and used a cordless Dremel tool. I placed the lower in a Brownell's lower receiver block and placed it in the vice. I went slowly and it took me about 15 minutes all told.

I used the front detent pivot pin tool I got for a course at Lassen School of Gunsmithing, and installed the detent spring, the detent pin and the pivot pin.

It came out perfect, and it was easy.

If one doesn't feel comfortable doing it, then don't. Be careful about calling BS on someone, because the truth is, it's not nearly as hard as some make it out to be.

Just because someone else can't or won't, doesn't mean it can't be done. Further, if I can do it, most anyone with confidence can, too. Yeah, maybe it took some stones -- maybe it didn't. Bottom line, it was easy, and I would do it again.

It's not rocket science and it sure ain't brain surgery.

YMMV

JBnTX
12-12-08, 09:27
... Be careful about calling BS on someone, because the truth is, it's not nearly as hard as some make it out to be.

True, but it's an example of when consequences outweigh probabilities.

The consequences of destroying/damaging a perfectly good lower receiver
far outweigh the probability of being able to brag that you did it yourself.

In other words, it ain't worth it.
Let a professional do it.

PRGGodfather
12-12-08, 13:50
The choice to do it by hand or outsource it belongs to the owner, and that is true.

To suggest it cannot be done at home, and calling BS on someone for having done it falls short of truth.

As to benefits and risk that is merely a matter of perspective.

If your limitations preclude attempting this, good call.

If you're the type that like learning and DIY, I will say it again

It is not rocket science or brain surgery.

Scattergun
12-12-08, 14:39
It is all going to depend on the skill of the one trying to drill the hole. I know some who could mess it up on a $15,000 Bridgeport milling machine and others who could do a perfect job with nothing but a handrill.

PRGGodfather
12-12-08, 15:00
Amen to that, brother

One can always practice on a blank before doing it for real.

The skill development is worth the time, unless we make $250 an hour.

Do it yourself or outsource, the choice is always yours and subject to your needs and wants.

packinheavy
12-12-08, 17:17
packinheavy- If you are still active duty, guard, or reserve, talk to your CATM guys if you are reluctant to do it yourself.

Stick,

I am CATM :), but I don't want to tackle this. None of the guys want to mess with it either. I think I will have an expert take care of it.

Thanks for the input guys. :D

scottryan
12-12-08, 19:48
To suggest it cannot be done at home, and calling BS on someone for having done it falls short of truth.

As to benefits and risk that is merely a matter of perspective.

Just because you two have achieved hillbilly gunsmithing doesn't mean it should be done and posting about how easy it is misleading.

That falls short of the truth.

scottryan
12-12-08, 19:50
I used the punch again to locate where the oil/drainage hole needed to be, after measuring against the other lower.

Which didn't need to be done since the lower was already anodized.

The "weep hole" on the detent fence is not for oil.

Keep the BS coming.

scottryan
12-12-08, 19:52
Amen to that, brother

One can always practice on a blank before doing it for real.

The skill development is worth the time, unless we make $250 an hour.

What skill has been developed?

What blank are you using?

scottryan
12-12-08, 19:54
I've done it, too. Pat Aherne (another cop and M4C member) has seen the work. It's flawless.

Him and you being a cop qualifies yourselves on this issue how?

scottryan
12-12-08, 19:58
It is all going to depend on the skill of the one trying to drill the hole. I know some who could mess it up on a $15,000 Bridgeport milling machine and others who could do a perfect job with nothing but a handrill.

You are trying to rationalize the extreme.

If the person using the mill isn't a complete idiot, it will turn out ok.

However, doing this by hand can result in all kinds of screw ups and I don't care about how good you are with your hands or your coordination.

PRGGodfather
12-12-08, 20:05
I'm not arguing with you brother. Sorry if it sounded that way.

Merry Christmas

Scattergun
12-12-08, 20:25
You are trying to rationalize the extreme.

If the person using the mill isn't a complete idiot, it will turn out ok.

However, doing this by hand can result in all kinds of screw ups and I don't care about how good you are with your hands or your coordination.

I am a machinist and for most it would be a very simple job but, I know some who could mess it up.

The point is there are some skilled people who can do it with a hand drill. I don't recommend it, but some can do amazing things.

TangoChaser
12-12-08, 20:40
I drilled out a 6830 lower that came with the Colt pivot screw. I used a cheap Chinese drill press but it is easy to do. Basic measure twice, drill once applies.

A full length hole and spring are not necessary for proper function of the take pivot pin. I routinely clip a few coils off the spring to make it possible to install the detent easier and push the pivot pin out by hand.

Not the way the factory does it but it works and takes nothing away from the reliability of the gun. i won't chance it with a hand held drill as it is too easy to drill off center.

Stickman
12-12-08, 23:18
Stick,

I am CATM :), but I don't want to tackle this. None of the guys want to mess with it either. I think I will have an expert take care of it.

Thanks for the input guys. :D

Some of my best friends are CATM, stay safe.

Patrick Aherne
12-13-08, 00:17
Scott Ryan,

Understand this: I would not trust PRG Godfather to change the oil in my new Hemi; he has that lack of mechanical ability that is just stunning. But, you are still wrong about the difficulty in drilling this detent hole. Still, I would not do it myself, AND I have been to several gunsmith-rated classes and have the certificates to prove I "are" a gunsmith, whatever that is. Given that ADCO or SAW will do it for a minimal fee, I would pay the money to avoid botching a lower.

However, I would drill a lower to prove you are wrong.

Too bad I don't have a Colt with this issue!:D

I think I have two rifles at work that could use this feature. I may have to experiment, since they aren't being used as patrol rifles right now.

scottryan
12-14-08, 13:50
Scott Ryan,

Understand this: I would not trust PRG Godfather to change the oil in my new Hemi; he has that lack of mechanical ability that is just stunning. But, you are still wrong about the difficulty in drilling this detent hole. Still, I would not do it myself, AND I have been to several gunsmith-rated classes and have the certificates to prove I "are" a gunsmith, whatever that is. Given that ADCO or SAW will do it for a minimal fee, I would pay the money to avoid botching a lower.

However, I would drill a lower to prove you are wrong.

Too bad I don't have a Colt with this issue!:D

I think I have two rifles at work that could use this feature. I may have to experiment, since they aren't being used as patrol rifles right now.

I never said you physically cannot do it with a hand drill.

I said you cannot drill it because you won't get a factory like job, it will look like shit, and you might not be able to drill it to the correct depth.

Quit taking me out of context.

scottryan
12-14-08, 13:51
I'm not arguing with you brother. Sorry if it sounded that way.

Merry Christmas

Because you can't

You didn't know what you were talking about in terms of the weep hole.

Patrick Aherne
12-14-08, 19:00

It helps to read your posts before accusing someone of taking them out of context.

scottryan
12-14-08, 20:51
It helps to read your posts before accusing someone of taking them out of context.

You cannot do it with a handheld tool and have it come out like a factory job.

It is clear what my point is.

You honestly have no clue.

I'm not mistaken about what I am doing when it comes to working on AR15s. That is clear do anyone who has been around long enough.

twodollarbill
12-14-08, 21:38
I am surprised that none of the shop pros have not chimed in on this one and confirmed
what tool they use when they perform this modification..
But, I'm with Scott. You can not do a factory job on anything with a hand tool.
Unless you are an artist....then it would be called art and be priced higher then
what anyone in this forum would pay.

scottryan
12-15-08, 09:32
I can also complete an 80% lower forging on a drill press.

Just because I can doesn't mean its the right thing to do.

That is the same with this situation.

DocGKR
02-07-09, 16:25
Sorry I didn't see this one before. Now I am no gunsmith or machinist, but I am pretty familiar with precision drilling by hand. Even with my limited mechanical skills, I was able to drill 3 of my civilian Colts using a hand drill. Of course, I would recommend sending it to Don Lazzarini or SAW, as they do a great job for a fair price.