PDA

View Full Version : First Impressions: Glock 44 .22LR

Uni-Vibe
04-19-21, 11:27
EXECUTIVE SUMMARY: It's a Gen 5 Glock through and through, and it shoots .22LR. If you shoot Glocks you need one of these.

Exterior: The G44 is a G19 sized handgun that shoots .22LR. Externally it is the same dimensions. A holster that will fit the G19 will also fit the G44. It weighs half what the G19 weighs. The top half of the slide is plastic, but the bottom half is metal. The grip frame is the same as G19. The gun ships with the same set of backstraps as the G19. It appears that Glock builds it rather than subbing it out to Umarex or somebody, as the Georgia proof marks are present.

Sights: The sights appear to be the same as the OEM plastic sights on all Glocks, but the rear sight is adjustable for windage and elevation with a small jeweler's type screwdriver. The gun was sighted in from the factory and no adjustment was needed.

Inside: The grip frame uses the same parts as the G19 except there is no Browning-style cam block. The usual Gen 5 dual recoil spring is present. The gun field strips like any other Glock. The barrel is not fixed to the frame as with virtually all other blowback .22s, but neither does it function as a Browning locked breech short recoil action.

Magazines: The gun ships with two magazines. The magazines are the same external size as G19 magazines and will fit in a magazine carrier designed for G19 or G17 magazines. They are actually so close a fit that a G19 magazine will fit into the G44 and lock in, and will even lock the slide back when manually operated. They are stoutly made of plastic. There is no inner steel lining as with all other Glock mags. On either side is an assist attached to the follower so the follower can be gripped and pulled down for loading, similar to many other .22 magazine designs. Capacity is limited to ten rounds; Glock apparently opted for reliability over higher capacity. This is fine as the gun is not intended for duty or self-defense use.

Firing: The gun ships with the familiar copper anti-seize grease applied. No cleaning or additional lubrication was performed prior to or during firing, other than a patch was run through the bore to ensure no obstruction. Ammunition was:

Winchester Wildcat 40 grain high velocity bulk
CCI Blazer 40 grain high velocity
Aguila Super Extra 40 grain high velocity

Approximately 400 rounds were fired. The trigger feels like other Glock triggers. Recoil is light (it is a .22 after all) but gives a satisfying snap and a little muzzle flip. Ejection is positive. It appears that any functioning problems with the original release have been worked out. No malfunctions were experienced with the Aguila and the CCI. Two problems occurred with the Winchester Wildcat. The first was a dud round well struck by the firing pin. The second was a stovepipe. I'm blaming both on the Wildcat bulk ammo. Accuracy was acceptable at seven yards. Most of the shots were flash-sight fired, about one every second. This yielded a fist sized group which accords with results obtained from the G17 and G19 under the same conditions. After 400 rounds with no cleaning or lubrication, the gun cycled as well as when it was first fired.

Impressions: This was amazing fun. It was easy to stand there grinning and burn through ammo. If I weren't under time constraint, I could have burned up a whole brick. The G44 has the same relationship to the centerfire Glocks as my Smith 15-22 does to the M4. It is an accurate replica where all the controls function as on the real gun. The G44 allows for .22LR training and plinking in an accurate representation of the real thing. The only quibble is that Glock could have somehow made the weights more similar, perhaps by putting a lead weight in the airspace between the magazine and the backstrap?

Everybody that shoots AR needs a 15-22, and all Glockheads need a G44. It's that much fun.

04-19-21, 13:00
If you use a G19, you can probably buy this and a dozen boxes of .22 ammo for the price of a dozen boxes of 9mm. I love mine. Totally worth it as a training companion. Sold my Smiff .22 pistol.

MadAngler1
04-22-21, 07:51
I like mine. I bought it to teach trigger control to my wife.

I also recommend sending the slide to Sevigny for a set of fiber optic sights:

https://sevignyperformance.com/

Firefly
04-22-21, 12:32
I don’t regret my Ruger SR22 but the G44 is way better.

Esq.
04-22-21, 14:31
I don’t regret my Ruger SR22 but the G44 is way better.

I own four of the Glock 44's now. Well, I own four but my kids have temporary custody of 2 of them!

My only bitch about the gun is that you can't really mount a red dot on it. So, for me, it's not a 100% stand in for my regular carry gun. Other than that, they are excellent, reliable and accurate enough pistols.

czgunner
04-22-21, 15:40
I don't want to interrupt the thread, but has anybody used a .22 conversion and how does it compare to the Glock 22?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Firefly
04-22-21, 16:41
I don't want to interrupt the thread, but has anybody used a .22 conversion and how does it compare to the Glock 22?

They don’t compare. The 44 really is the easy button

czgunner
04-22-21, 17:00
They don’t compare. The 44 really is the easy buttonGood to know, thanks. Washington states lame pseudo registration law makes me want to avoid buying guns.

04-22-21, 19:37
Great review. I might have to get a G44.

titsonritz
04-23-21, 01:42
I've wanted a G44 since they were introduced but wanted to wait for any bugs to be worked out first.

Uni-Vibe
04-23-21, 02:26
I've wanted a G44 since they were introduced but wanted to wait for any bugs to be worked out first.

Based on a sample of one, I'd say that's been done. Only thing I haven't tried is the higher capacity Promags. Promags, you know. And with OEM $22 at Primary Arms. . . .

Esq.
04-23-21, 10:07
They don’t compare. The 44 really is the easy button

Truer words never spoken!

I had an Advantage Arms full size Glock 17 kit. I went out and spent the money, bought a dedicated Glock Factory Frame etc....I wanted a 100%, stand in pistol for training......

Total piece of shit. I struggled with it for 5 years. I put close to 5,000 rounds on it hoping it would eventually "wear in"... It never ran right. IF you used the two types of ammo that it liked- it would run 90%. If you used anything else, it was great malfunction practice. Wet, dry, didn't matter, clean dirty...didn't matter..... I sold that piece of shit the day they announced the Glock 44 and never looked back.

I hear guys say their AA works great...more power to them....but I've seen plenty of guys saying they have serious issues. AA will tell you, "You have to use these 3 kinds of ammo" basically- that's total bullshit! These days you are lucky to find ANY ammo, much less a very specific brand, bullet weight etc....the damn gun just needs to run with whatever you can find- the Glock 44, does that.

I've shot Federal bulk pack, Winchester Wildcats, Federal 510, Federal Automatch, CCI Mini Mags, CCI Tactical, CCI SV, Aguila SV, Centurion SV, Eley Club, Red plastic Sleeve Winchester HP's, Winchester 555, Remington Golden bullets, Remington Target, PMC Zappers---the Crappy Filipino Armscor that smokes like black powder, Geco "Rifle", Yellow and red box Winchester from the 1960's, CCI Blazers, American Eagle.....Doesn't matter, it goes in the mag, it goes BANG and loads another round. Glock got it right.

Rmorris
04-26-21, 07:56
Mine has paid for itself before the ammo went up. Think about that in 2020-2021. 2x500 round bulk boxes vs same in 9mm. I’m shooting it most any time I go to the range.

robbins290
04-30-21, 13:21
I have one ordered, i got sick of waiting for 9mm to come instock and i am down to 2500 rounds of 9mm. So i wanna leave some stock of that. I have a pile of 22lr from the obama scare i wanna burn up. At 359.99, it wont take long to recoup that. hopefully I will pick it up soon. Hoping it has a trigger close to the GEN 4 19 I carry. I did zero research but figured if there was a problem, glock will fix it.

04-30-21, 19:58
Hoping it has a trigger close to the GEN 4 19 I carry.
It does.

robbins290
04-30-21, 20:50
Good to know!

Uni-Vibe
04-30-21, 20:53
You boys getting one, log in and let us know what you think.

robbins290
05-01-21, 06:35
Will do univibe!

P2Vaircrewman
05-01-21, 08:30
I have one ordered, i got sick of waiting for 9mm to come instock and i am down to 2500 rounds of 9mm. So i wanna leave some stock of that. I have a pile of 22lr from the obama scare i wanna burn up. At 359.99, it wont take long to recoup that. hopefully I will pick it up soon. Hoping it has a trigger close to the GEN 4 19 I carry. I did zero research but figured if there was a problem, glock will fix it.

Good luck, I have been waiting for one for 4 months.

robbins290
05-01-21, 08:33
Good luck, I have been waiting for one for 4 months.

My is in and ready to pick up. I just gotta find the time to get it. Ends up being a 6 hour ordeal with that place. Huge place and takes about 2 hour wait to get waited on. They have the ticket system. I been working a side job on weekends and they are closed by the time i get there during the week. So i dont have to wait for it to be in stock. Its already there.

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-01-21, 19:41
I bought one since I was buying another gun, and if you are going to fill out a 443, you might as well make it worth it.

I have an M&P 22 pistol thanks getting loose and starting to hiccup. I’ve been playing with Glocks more and more, so I thought I would try one out. Looking forward to getting it later this week.

agr1279
05-02-21, 19:46
I have one and like it. It has been extremely reliable with everything I’ve given it. There has been a few hiccups but was rounds not going in properly from the mags to the chamber. They usually get tweaked a little. With the suppressor there is a lot of blowback of unburnt powder to the face. I like it since my agency mandated everyone carries Glocks so it keeps everything the same when I get a few minutes to shoot on my own. I just wished they’d offer a version with the threaded barrel. Now I’ve got a barrel I’ll never use.

Dan

Dan

robbins290
05-10-21, 10:13
You boys getting one, log in and let us know what you think.

I am very impressed with the G44. I put 500 rounds thru it over the weekend. Its accurate and reliable (for the most part)

I have one issue with one of the mags. Once the mag is loaded, I have to make sure the head of the bullet is facing up. One mag does it automatically, the other i have to. Going to assume its a defective mag. Going to run another 500 rounds and then contact glock to see what they say, Besides that, No issues or problems. Trigger is very close to my 19.

Uni-Vibe
05-12-21, 00:35
Tomorrow I'll do a shoot-off between my G19 and the G44. I'll post up some impressions.

Grim.Patriot
05-18-21, 11:54
If one carries a G19, the G44 is the near perfect range companion. Both my indoor and outdoor ranges allows the shooter to draw from holster, and the G44 is the perfect warm up gun. My only recommendation is to change sights to the same model sights installed on your carry gun (assuming one changed out OEM sights) so everything but weight and recoil is the same. I’ve found the G44 to be fairly reliable with heavier high velocity ammo, but not 100% like my Gen3 G19 has been thru 1000’s of rounds down range. But then the G44 does give me opportunity to practice occasional malfunction drills that I have to manually set up otherwise.

Grim.Patriot
05-18-21, 11:54
If one carries a G19, the G44 is the near perfect range companion. Both my indoor and outdoor ranges allows the shooter to draw from holster, and the G44 is the perfect warm up gun. My only recommendation is to change sights to the same model sights installed on your carry gun (assuming one changed out OEM sights) so everything but weight and recoil is the same. I’ve found the G44 to be fairly reliable with heavier high velocity ammo, but not 100% like my Gen3 G19 has been thru 1000’s of rounds down range. But then the G44 does give me opportunity to practice occasional malfunction drills that I have to manually set up otherwise.

05-18-21, 13:19

Well put. I’ve been mostly using Aguila Super Extra in mine. Aguila Interceptor, and the usual CCI stuff, works, as well. Random mixed ammo I found squirreled away in a Crown Royal bag worked like 90%, with most stoppages coming from what seemed to be CB caps, and probably were.

Edit to update: when these came out, there was a youtuber complaining about the sights not being able to zero. Glock seems to have fixed that problem before I bought mine. In fact, last week my DA Mask got approved, so I threw the threaded barrel in the gun and went shooting. Checked the zero on B/C steel at 80 yards. I hit it.