PDA

View Full Version : Remington Ammunition Is Coming Back

prepare
04-20-21, 17:04
What are the reasons behind Remington filling for bankruptcy?

https://youtu.be/qOMIM5L8X4k

Coal Dragger
04-20-21, 17:15
Why did they go tits up? They started making dog shit posing as firearms.

Next question.

utahjeepr
04-20-21, 18:15
Vista Outdoors bought the ammunition line during the bankruptcy. They own Federal, CCI, Speer, etc.

prepare
04-20-21, 18:33
Did the Sandy Hook law suits have anything to do with it?

SteyrAUG
04-20-21, 18:43
Did the Sandy Hook law suits have anything to do with it?

Partially.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/28/business/remington-arms-bankruptcy/index.html

markm
04-21-21, 14:00
Good grief, I had some horrible examples of ammo in the remington green box line and their bulk rimfire. Loose necks, bullets set back, etc. And rimfire was all kinds of garbage.

If they're coming back, I hope someone else is running production/Q.C.

MA2_Navy_Veteran
04-21-21, 16:06
Yes, but, are they producing M855 ammunition?

Because that is really the ONLY ammunition that I'm interested in purchasing.

Firefly
04-21-21, 16:48
Yes, but, are they producing M855 ammunition?

Because that is really the ONLY ammunition that I'm interested in purchasing.

But 855 kinda sucks.

I want 77gr but good luck with that

SteyrAUG
04-21-21, 17:43
Good grief, I had some horrible examples of ammo in the remington green box line and their bulk rimfire. Loose necks, bullets set back, etc. And rimfire was all kinds of garbage.

If they're coming back, I hope someone else is running production/Q.C.

With the exception of Golden Sabers, most Remington ammo sucks.

Green box is underpowered with a high failure rate and their budget line UMC is even worse.

Straight Shooter
04-22-21, 00:54

Green box is underpowered with a high failure rate and their budget line UMC is even worse.

About 3 years ago- I did a range day and tested a few 9mm loads on the chrono & for accuracy..used my G17 & G19. Id have to find my notes from the day, but I definately remember Golden Saber
sucking badly. Come to think of it now, I also tested it in .45ACP out of my G41...was not impressed.
This was done for MY own info- not as a scientific, carved in stone professional test..but nothing from that day, or any online gel tests Ive seen has led me to think Golden Saber will ever be in any of my weapons.

SteyrAUG
04-22-21, 02:26
About 3 years ago- I did a range day and tested a few 9mm loads on the chrono & for accuracy..used my G17 & G19. Id have to find my notes from the day, but I definately remember Golden Saber
sucking badly. Come to think of it now, I also tested it in .45ACP out of my G41...was not impressed.
This was done for MY own info- not as a scientific, carved in stone professional test..but nothing from that day, or any online gel tests Ive seen has led me to think Golden Saber will ever be in any of my weapons.

So I've never had a failure with GS out of my SIG 226 or MP5, but GS is probably last on my list. I usually go with Hydra shocks or Ranger XTs. I've also had good results with Hornady TAP or Critical Defense.

But years ago, probably 15, I ended up with a couple thousand rounds of Golden Sabers that were given to me free. Used most of it as range / training ammo but never a hiccup and pretty accurate.

Coal Dragger
04-22-21, 02:49
I used to burn through a ton of Remington UMC yellow box .45 ACP hardball about 20 years ago. It used to be good range ammo in my HK and Kimber, usually quite accurate, the HK in particular would just stack those 230gr ball rounds on top of one another.

utahjeepr
04-22-21, 09:29
Remi ammo, like their guns, went to shit. They used to make quality products. Not the "best of the best", but good stuff for the average budget. Then it turned, counting on the name to sell cheaper and cheaper product. They didn't keep up development, let quality slip, and kept acting surprised when the public continued to move away from them.

Hopefully the various assets bought out by other interests can salvage what is left of big green. We will see.

Adrenaline_6
04-22-21, 09:37
The good thing is it isn't really Remington running the ammo show anymore. Vista knows how to make ammo. Remington is just the brand on the box now.

Entryteam
04-22-21, 09:42

Well, I have witnessed what the golden sabre 9mm 124gr +P will do to a human being. It works. Brilliantly.

m1a_scoutguy
04-22-21, 13:03
The good thing is it isn't really Remington running the ammo show anymore. Vista knows how to make ammo. Remington is just the brand on the box now.

That's what I'm thinking. I work in a Dairy packaging plant & while we have 50 different brands 99% of everything is the same stuff different package, they just change the Lot Code & expiration date if needed and keep running. I'm sure the Golden Sabers & Core-Loc bullets are their own but if they're running a million 9mm 115 gr FMJ bullets there just changing the box & Lot Codes when the order for one is done versus the other. Something to think about I guess.

Uni-Vibe
04-22-21, 19:28
One thing I always wondered about was why their 115 grain green box FMJ 9mm had such a short cartridge overall length. It was visibly much shorter than M882 or similar.

On the other hand, their 115 JHP +P + load, and their 125 grain .357 mag load was good stuff.

hi-wayman
04-22-21, 20:07
Remington hasn't been my first choice in some time, but I hope they will make enough to help overall availability of the stuff I like. I haven't bought ammo in over a year, but I need to restock my stash at some point.

Straight Shooter
04-23-21, 07:23
Well, I have witnessed what the golden sabre 9mm 124gr +P will do to a human being. It works. Brilliantly.

Well, there you go. As I said..nothing carved in stone or professional about MY tests, but I do recall very uneven chrono results.

Straight Shooter
04-23-21, 07:26
So I've never had a failure with GS out of my SIG 226 or MP5, but GS is probably last on my list. I usually go with Hydra shocks or Ranger XTs. I've also had good results with Hornady TAP or Critical Defense.

But years ago, probably 15, I ended up with a couple thousand rounds of Golden Sabers that were given to me free. Used most of it as range / training ammo but never a hiccup and pretty accurate.

Oh, they were reliable in the few hundred..MAYBE 1000 Ive shot...just odd chrono results and were the least accurate in my guns.
For range use, like you cited..theyd be tits.
But, ammo makers are gonna have to burn the mdnight oil to come up with better stuff than HST's or Gold Dots..again, my opinion.

Ron3
04-23-21, 08:40

I've fired quite a bit of green box .38 spec, .357 mag, .357 sig, and 9mm. No problems and chronographed what I expected.

Firefly
04-23-21, 09:25
All I know is Golden Sabre would run pretty good in Colt SMGs. I have a box of .45 somewhere.

signal4l
04-23-21, 11:03
I hope they improve things.

The worst ammo I ever shot was UMC 55g .223. Yellow box. The brass was so soft it would plug the ejectors on our carbines with brass dust, shavings

kerplode
04-23-21, 12:37
All I know is Golden Sabre would run pretty good in Colt SMGs. I have a box of .45 somewhere.

Yeah, the 45ACP GS is decent stuff. It has a pretty round noise profile, so it feeds just like a FMJ. Hell, even my bone stock, fully original, WWII Remington Rand 1911A1 eats it like candy.

It's good to have Rem back online producing ammo. Hopefully their new stuff will be better than the crap they were churning out over the last few years.

Firefly
04-23-21, 16:26
Yep. I’d get me a few boxes upon rerelease if nothing more than for hunting ammo.

I kinda hope they use the old ammo box design. Those were comfy. I’m sick of seeing cops and army guys on my ammo with extreme font. I like the stuff I grew up with.

https://image.sportsmansguide.com/adimgs/l/1/144561_ts.jpg

Unpretentious and parsimonious

kerplode
04-23-21, 16:49
I kinda hope they use the old ammo box design. Those were comfy. I’m sick of seeing cops and army guys on my ammo with extreme font. I like the stuff I grew up with.

Unpretentious and parsimonious

Totally agreed!

Coal Dragger
04-23-21, 17:08
Bring back the old Yellow UMC box please. Also make the ammo to the same quality.

ChattanoogaPhil
04-23-21, 18:34
Glad to see more supply though I don't use Remington ammo for anything. In a time long ago... Rem .22LR Golden Bullet was ok for the kids to plink with. Kinda liked the old milk carton.

Stickman
04-23-21, 18:52

I have also witnessed up close and personal what Golden Saber performance is like, and the results have been highly effective. Highly, highly effective on human tissue.

To the persons who have tested Golden Saber, I’m going to suggest that you may not have been using the premium bonded variant, either that or there were other issues. I’ve run FBI protocols for testing ammunition, and Golden Saber has done very well. Accuracy has been more than satisfactory, and FPS variations haven’t been enough to make any meaningful difference in testing.

It’s good enough that FBI HRT has used it for a long time, though I confess I haven’t paid much attention to what they’ve been using lately.

titsonritz
04-24-21, 02:49
One thing I always liked about Golden Sabre is it came in 25 round boxes rather than 20.

yellowfin
04-24-21, 07:43
Now the question is how quickly will they do this. Every day is lost time.

AndyLate
04-24-21, 08:01
I know that a lot of people got Rem Golden Bullet 22 ammo before or during the Obama 22 shortage that was ridiculously bad. The stuff I had must have had a 15 - 20 % failure rate. They would either fail to fire or be too weak to cycle my semi auto guns.

After President Trump was elected, a LGS was running a deal where you could get a brick of Golden Bullet 22 LR for a ridiculously low price when you bought a brick of CCI or Fed 22 at the normal cost.

You could tell how many people got burned before by crap Golden Bullets by the months it took for the pile to disappear.

Andy

04-24-21, 11:12
I used to like some of their .22lr ammo. I’m not picky, and didn’t get burned in the great rimfire shortage, though. In fact, I don’t think I ever bought any of the Golden Bullet bricks. They had a couple of loads with Keith style bullets- a truncated cone with shoulder- that I always liked. Viper and Yellowjacket, I think. It was semi-bulk ammo, not exceptionally accurate, but hammered small furry critters nicely at appropriate ranges, much like my favorite CCI offerings. I also have some of their subsonic that I don’t hate, although the packaging is cheapo, and I wish that subsonic ammo makers would make the stuff more suppressor-friendly with copper plating, but thats bot a knock on Rem.

When I used to shoot a lot of clay, I’d grab a case of Remington Nitro 27 if Winchester AA was sold out. No issues there.

I think the Golden Saber hate comes from it performing poorly in internet gel testing. I haven’t seen one in a while, but if I recall correctly, the original 9mm offering required a good bit of velocity to expand and would sometimes shed its jacket. This is from memory, so hopefully I’m not way off. I would hope that the newer bonded version is just fine, since its Remington’s flagship duty round. The older version is one of the rounds that I carried in my 1911, since it ate them without drama.

Cor-Lokt is two of the only three loads that I was ever able to routinely find in .35 Rem, so there’s that.

I don’t like the 5.56 brass I’ve picked up. So much trimming. I hate trimming.

I don’t think that anything Remington Ammo branded was ever my first choice, but somehow there’s always been some in my stash for some reason or another. I’m glad they’re coming back. Doesn’t Rem have (or had) a relationship with Barnes, BTW?

Straight Shooter
04-26-21, 13:00
Back in the day..mid seventies, eighties & nineties...Core Lokt was IT for 30-30, .243,'06 and a couple other calibers in my area. We mostly used the 150 grain in 30-30, as the 180's bucked & a whitetail deer AINT that hard to kill when shot right. Was truly awesome ammo, I have such a fondness for those memories, and its why I LOATHE anything Remington today.
They took a wonderful heritage of gun & ammo making and let it go to absolute shit. The only caliber I wasnt fond of was .22LR. Didnt hate it...but back then Federal had that market cornered with the Red Box .22's. Anyway, my first rifle in '77 or so was a M788 24" .243.Gave $212 for it new. WOW would I love to have THAT rifle back. The 100gr. Core Lokt's were deer/groundhog,crow,fox, wild dog slaying mofo's.
When I got my first real handgun..a NIB Colt Series 70..the amount of UMC that thing fired was unreal. I remember "getting ready" for Y2K...WalMart had 30-30 150gr. Core Lokt's for $5.99 a box of 20..which was cheap even then & my Marlin 336..yet ANOTHER goatscrew of a company...loved them. I bought a shitload at one time. Man, Im making myself sick thinking about those days.
Whilst Im reminiscing here...500 round bricks of .22LS were like $12..a lot of times on sale for $9.99. I worked my ass off as a kid to basically have money for gas, ammo & beer. Yes, we drank early back then, on the backroads...who gives a shit. Anyway...old men at the time, could not understand why I shot "so much". To them..a freakin brick of ammo like that would last a lifetime. I was taking AT LEAST two at a time to the range..I know on more than two occasions of shooting 4 bricks...2000 in a day on an friends range that had a bunch of steel targets all the way out to 200. My fingers would be BLACK & sore from loading all day. It was something Ill never do again, unfortunately.

TomBowie
04-28-21, 11:45
Deleted

Firefly
04-28-21, 11:57
I think Gel tests are overrated.

A truly scientific test would be to get some guy on death row and dress him up in the fashion of the day and have someone shoot him a few times.

Just saying.
Anyways bring back Golden Sabre you communists!

Coal Dragger
04-28-21, 15:05
That would work. Unhealthy death row inmates with jacked up organs get used for weapons testing. Healthy ones get organ harvested.

SteyrAUG
04-28-21, 20:15
That would work. Unhealthy death row inmates with jacked up organs get used for weapons testing. Healthy ones get organ harvested.

So at first blush, I'm all for this. Then I remember China is actually doing it. Then I remember the nature of OUR government from time to time. So bad as our current corrections system is, I'm not sure I'm wanting to enact a system where political dissidents doing hard time are just waiting for an organ match before their sentence is carried out.

Firefly
04-28-21, 20:39
Like it could be voluntary.

Offer them up conjugal visits, hard drugs, and a chance to be in a rap video before their big day.

I would prefer the subjects to be high as hell for real world results

04-29-21, 19:02

Adrenaline_6
04-30-21, 08:20

Wow...decent price...even if it was before the craziness.

Entryteam
04-30-21, 10:11
I think Gel tests are overrated.

A truly scientific test would be to get some guy on death row and dress him up in the fashion of the day and have someone shoot him a few times.

Just saying.
Anyways bring back Golden Sabre you communists!

In feudal Japan this was actually a common practice when a Lord/Diamyo wanted to test his new Katana/Blade.

BangBang77
04-30-21, 14:16
Credentials required? For ammo?

What's the location?

04-30-21, 21:08
Credentials required? For ammo?

What's the location?
Its not the ammo. The store isn’t open to the general public. They put the signs up because some people snuck in and argued about it at the register. They’ve also had to put signs up everywhere about piggybacking at the doors.

The price there is better than most places, at least right now, but is the bees knees for pricing on defensive or duty ammo. The point of my pic was simply that Remington is, in fact, selling ammo again, which I’m quite excited about, even though I bought none, opting instead for more ball ammo.