PDA

View Full Version : SAR Show SKS purchase

lowprone
12-07-08, 17:43
Went to Crossroads of the West/ Small Arms Review show yesterday, and found lots of neat stuff, New Hungarian AK mags @ $15ea, not earth shattering but considering the times not bad.
I found and purchased for $200, a mint/possibly unfired milled SKS w/short barrel collar, chrome lined barrel and chamber, blade bayonet, red fiberglass stock and most interesting of all it is completely devoid of all markings except sn, and these all match.
I have been told that it was built by China for military aid to N. Vietnam, sterile for plausable denialability, and the fiberglass stocks because the termites and rot would destroy the woodstock models while cached. Great story if true.
I have also been told that a counry w/ 25 or 30 arsenals all with their own ideogram
would sometimes manufacture rifles with no markings at all, for no apparent reason.
Maybe Templer could shed some light on this considering his Sino/Soviet afflication.
Anyway I like the 1st story and if I ever decide to sell that is the story that will accompany it.

thedog
12-07-08, 18:25
I don't know about the lack of markings, but did you remove the stocketc. to check? It COULD be an arsenal refinished weapon, considering the price.
But hey, congrats either way. Hopefully you got a great find. If not, you still have a nice new weapon. Enjoy!

dog

John_Wayne777
12-07-08, 19:55
I'm not much of an SKS collector so I don't know beans about the various incarnations of the weapon, but these days 200 for a decent SKS isn't too bad.

...of course, those of us with a C&R used to be able to buy them for about 100 bucks. Looking back, I should have bought more at that price. The SKS is a really nice rifle. Well built, and more accurate than most who will ever shoulder one.

One of the most underrated guns on the market, in my opinion. If I ever find more for a decent price I'll be buying as many as I can afford.

R.P.
12-22-08, 19:27
I saw some SKS rifles going for $400-$500 this past weekend at a gun show in SC.