PDA

View Full Version : North Carolina! Come on and raise up!

WillieThom
04-26-21, 16:58
https://www.foxnews.com/us/north-carolina-police-shooting-attorney-judge-release-body-camera-footage

“An eyewitness said that deputies fired at Brown multiple times as he tried to drive away. The car skidded out of Brown’s yard and eventually hit a tree, said Demetria Williams, who lives on the same street. A car authorities removed from the scene appeared to have multiple bullet holes.”

“Court records viewed by the Associated Press show Brown had a history of criminal charges stretching back into the 1990s, including a misdemeanor drug possession conviction and some pending felony drug charges.”

"Mr. Brown was a convicted felon with a history of resisting arrest," Pasquotank County Chief Deputy Daniel Fogg said Thursday, speaking alongside Wooten. "Our training and our policies indicate under such circumstances there is a high risk of danger."

2021 is gonna be a happenin’ year, y’all!

The_War_Wagon
04-26-21, 17:13
EASTERN NC, soooo... :rolleyes:

ChattanoogaPhil
04-26-21, 18:35
Brown had seven children

Brown had trouble keeping a job, Thomas said. But she said he still found ways to earn money to support his children, including card games and shooting pool.

"Because they’re convicted ... they can’t get no jobs," she said. "It’s crazy."

--------

Well there ya go... baby daddy dope dealer hanging out at the pool hall to support his family.

Lacos
04-26-21, 18:38
Well I think his family hit jackpot, Brown shot back of head

joedirt199
04-26-21, 20:35
Just another ghetto robin hood

WillieThom
04-26-21, 21:12
Brown had seven children

Brown had trouble keeping a job, Thomas said. But she said he still found ways to earn money to support his children, including card games and shooting pool.

"Because they’re convicted ... they can’t get no jobs," she said. "It’s crazy."

--------

Well there ya go... baby daddy dope dealer hanging out at the pool hall to support his family.

It’s almost as if there is a very basic and common thread that winds it’s way throughout 95% of all police shootings.

What’s most perplexing to me, though, is the fact that there are groups of people—organizations, news outlets, and politicians—all crying out that it is everyone’s duty to fear, resist, and even fight back against law enforcement officers but then they get all up-in-arms when someone gets blasted in the dome for doing that very thing.

Coal Dragger
04-26-21, 21:48
This is just one more in a decades long string of deaths in the failed, stupid, pointless “War on Drugs”.

Would the police have had any reason at all to be interacting with this dumb ass if there weren’t a prohibition like law on narcotics? The answer is almost certainly no.

In fact if we look at a lot of controversial police encounters with suspects who are stupid and end up getting hurt or killed, the initial reason for that contact is drug related.

It’s freaking stupid, and it needs to stop. Prohibition doesn’t work. It didn’t work for alcohol, and it doesn’t work for illegal drugs.

Firefly
04-26-21, 22:01
You know, I won’t defend the drug “war” but I will say it has allowed for some fairly bad actors to be killed or imprisoned. And it actually made some things better for a while. But there’s always someone who takes their place.

I honestly see both sides having lived it and am totally torn. Some of it has been another form lf “create a crisis and don’t waste it” and yet again some of it has been “These are really bad people who need to be shut down by any means necessary”.

I will say that I am far less open to doing certain things that I never questioned as a young man.

I don’t know how I feel really.

Coal Dragger
04-26-21, 22:15
The question I have, and I don’t have a way to definitely answer it, is this: are the really bad actors in the drug trade naturally bad, or has exposure to the conditions they live in made them that way? Alternatively if recreational narcotics were legal and these individuals weren’t going to jail, weren’t having negative encounters with the police, didn’t have to settle business disputes outside of the law, would they be violent?

Disciple
04-26-21, 22:36
“These are really bad people who need to be shut down by any means necessary”.

Surely such bad people are doing something else illegal; couldn't law enforcement go after them for that instead?

Budget
04-26-21, 22:48
Coal Dragger:
At least in Michigan, people aren't doing jail time for possession. You're averaging 120 days for sale under 50 grams of narcotics. Under 25...prolly probation. In terms of your Q, I dunno man, I struggle with that all the time. Everyone is a victim of circumstance but what the hell are we suppose to do with gang banging drug dealers?

Really bad guys deal dope sure but the code of silence for the shootings they take part in or coordinate are rarely solved.

Disciple:
Yeah, I guess but no one wants to talk. You get 12 people see a shooting but no witnesses. Witness names and statements go to discovery, which defense gets. It's easy to intimidate a witness when the system makes it so easy. Also see code of silence above.

As to the story. We'll see what happens but cops justifiably shoot people in the back all the time. I really don't care that some drug dealer got killed. If it's a bad shoot LE loses a bad apple. Whatever.

Coal Dragger
04-26-21, 22:55
Yeah well why are we going after dealers? We’re forcing an in demand good/service into an illegal supply chain. If drug dealers could call the police, sue each other, or do normal business shit would they be gang banging?

I suspect not. I can for sure with 100% certainty tell you that the current laws are not preventing them from selling drugs, and give them no Avenue for settling disputes within the law.

AndyLate
04-26-21, 22:57
Dope being legal and a legitimate business doesn't mean the criminals would be businessmen.

Coal Dragger
04-26-21, 23:19
True, but making dope legal deprives them of a huge source of income. Plus what we’re currently doing is pissing up a rope.

CRAMBONE
04-26-21, 23:40
I’m in the same boat as Firefly I’m not really sure how I feel anymore. I will say that there seems to be an increased level of illegal sales in areas where sales are legal. (From the knowledge that I have.) Just because a product gets legalized doesn’t automatically make the illegal side go away and as I stated it seems to have the opposite effect. And as far as if drugs were legal would the bangers be banging. Yes I believe so but it would be some other vice or activity. I think some people are just pre-disposed to a lifestyle/life direction/moral code. And at the core of it I think is years of bad parenting, the destruction of the family/home and education.

ETA: Take your shirt off. Spin it round your head like a helicopter!

WillieThom
04-27-21, 02:23
ETA: Take your shirt off. Spin it round your head like a helicopter!

I was 50/50 on whether or not someone would pick up on that..

ChattanoogaPhil
04-27-21, 03:05
Well sure... if drugs weren't illegal then the cops would have had no reason to be interacting with Brown. This high profile shooting could have been avoided. Problem solved?

Similar thinking could be applied to many high profile cases. Passing counterfeit money (George Floyd). Driving with expired tags (Daunte Wright). Intoxication (Rayshard Brooks). Selling single cigarettes from packs without tax stamps (Eric Garner)... on and on. Heck, if cops didn't have to enforce speeding laws the Rodney King riots could have been avoided.

I don't believe the problem is a society with laws and police to enforce them. The problem is the lawbreaker. Resisting arrest is risky business.

chuckman
04-27-21, 07:16
Brown has 10 kids, not 7....not all the same baby mama...

The only good news to come out of this is E. City is so small, there's nothing to loot, and only about 30 people to riot.

Averageman
04-27-21, 07:19
This is just one more in a decades long string of deaths in the failed, stupid, pointless “War on Drugs”.

Would the police have had any reason at all to be interacting with this dumb ass if there weren’t a prohibition like law on narcotics? The answer is almost certainly no.

In fact if we look at a lot of controversial police encounters with suspects who are stupid and end up getting hurt or killed, the initial reason for that contact is drug related.

It’s freaking stupid, and it needs to stop. Prohibition doesn’t work. It didn’t work for alcohol, and it doesn’t work for illegal drugs.

Well sure... if drugs weren't illegal then the cops would have had no reason to be interacting with Brown. This high profile shooting could have been avoided. Problem solved?

Similar thinking could be applied to many high profile cases. Passing counterfeit money (George Floyd). Driving with expired tags (Daunte Wright). Intoxication (Rayshard Brooks). Selling single cigarettes from packs without tax stamps (Eric Garner)... on and on. Heck, if cops didn't have to enforce speeding laws the Rodney King riots could have been avoided.

I don't believe the problem is a society with laws and police to enforce them. The problem is the lawbreaker. Resisting arrest is risky business.

The reward is too big to be ignored, these guys assume the risk vs reward is always going to be on their side.
Legalize drugs and these guys are going to remain in the black/grey market until the Market is up and running enough to plow them under by mass production and not necessarily by a better product.

Yes, I would like to see the end of the prohibition against drugs, but to what end? What's the objective? What will be the goal posts?
Stupid people shouldn't be arrested? Which stupid people?
I would like to think that with a wave of a magic wand all of this will go away, but I'm concerned, what if we legalize drugs and prohibit guns? Do all the Players in the Drug market suddenly switch to guns?

ChattanoogaPhil
04-27-21, 08:20
Pop culture solution to crime is to decriminalize it. Just think if poor wannabe college student, Michael Brown, lived in Dallas instead of Ferguson. He wouldn't have been concerned with being prosecuted for what he'd stolen that day (under $750), and wouldn't have attacked officer Wilson.

Averageman
04-27-21, 08:35
Pop culture solution to crime is to decriminalize it. Just think if poor wannabe college student, Michael Brown, lived in Dallas instead of Ferguson. He wouldn't have been concerned with being prosecuted for what he'd stolen that day (under $750), and wouldn't have attacked officer Wilson.

Evil doer's are People who cannot live in this world because they like doing evil stuff.
Trying to appease them by making their habit's, occupation or giving them access to drugs isn't going to change anything. They live outside the margins because that's where they thrive. Redrawing those margins just makes them move further left or right, to remain working outside the lines.
I think we try and relate their behavior to ours and it's like Chinese algebra, just doesn't relate or make sense.

I worked with a great guy, hardcore Christin, worked his ass off and was Middle Class and upwardly mobile.
This Guy was a straight up thug when he was younger. Long story short, the only way out for him was the Military.
I could see him making a different set of choices and ending up dead in the street, so could he, that's why he left it behind.

Coal Dragger
04-27-21, 08:56

Bad stupid laws might be the law, but that doesn’t mean they’re not bad and stupid; creating just as many if not more serious problems than they exist to solve.

On this forum we have a group of people who quite vocally and openly plan to ignore and break potential laws banning guns. Such a law would be extremely difficult to enforce, wouldn’t end the demand for guns, and would then force the supply of guns into an illegal supply chain. All of us who didn’t turn our blasters in would be criminals, and we’d be treated like criminals. When we had a dispute over our now illegal property with a fellow criminal we’d have to settle it outside the legal system no? So a gun ban would be a bad stupid law.

Kind of like bans on drugs are.

Averageman
04-27-21, 09:17
On this forum we have a group of people who quite vocally and openly plan to ignore and break potential laws banning guns. Such a law would be extremely difficult to enforce, wouldn’t end the demand for guns, and would then force the supply of guns into an illegal supply chain. All of us who didn’t turn our blasters in would be criminals, and we’d be treated like criminals. When we had a dispute over our now illegal property with a fellow criminal we’d have to settle it outside the legal system no? So a gun ban would be a bad stupid law.

Well put.
It's all good until they begin making Laws isn't it?
I wonder how things would have turned out differently if we had fewer and fewer laws and regulations concerning peoples behavior behind closed doors?

Firefly
04-27-21, 09:19
It would be nice if it were that simple. To legalize drugs and have guys go overnight from running Juntas to managing head shops.

It would be so nice and easy.

The college kid selling grass from his Jetta doesn’t and hasn’t gotten my attention.

With the drug trade comes money, influence, trafficking both human and otherwise, and gives a voice to what would otherwise be inconsequential dirt farmers and fruit pickers.

I promise you, yes YOU Coal Dragger, that if they seriously considered legalizing or decriminalizing drugs that the Cartels would assassinate a few Congressmen and send a note written in infant’s blood saying “Keep it illegal”.

Drugs are the original cryptocurrency. Devaluation of them would hurt too many comfortable people living in uncomfortable places.

Forget Sicario. It was good. But go watch Traffic. It did a good job detailing how it all happens from A to Z and why sometimes a bad war can lead to a few worthy battles. But overall will always be Pyrrhic.

Averageman
04-27-21, 09:39
Yeah, I would like to know how many of these Kids coming across our Borders currently are going to end up in Human Trafficking? I think the numbers would be painful to look at.
The Cartel's don't want anything to change, certainly.

But kind of getting back to being outraged because some scum bag who lived on the margins and finally got shot for being to big for his britches, nope, not for me.
I think a lot of very comfortable people get outraged when it happens, but would they want to live in the same house with one of these people? I doubt it.
A lot of people would like to glamorize it, but is it worth dying for? Really?
No, as a Nation we need to understand that ignorance breeds violence and we will always have plenty of both to go around. Lets just face it, living in the Modern World isn't for everyone.
You play the game, just be aware of the results you get and don't be surprised.

Coal Dragger
04-27-21, 09:54
It would be nice if it were that simple. To legalize drugs and have guys go overnight from running Juntas to managing head shops.

It would be so nice and easy.

The college kid selling grass from his Jetta doesn’t and hasn’t gotten my attention.

With the drug trade comes money, influence, trafficking both human and otherwise, and gives a voice to what would otherwise be inconsequential dirt farmers and fruit pickers.

I promise you, yes YOU Coal Dragger, that if they seriously considered legalizing or decriminalizing drugs that the Cartels would assassinate a few Congressmen and send a note written in infant’s blood saying “Keep it illegal”.

Drugs are the original cryptocurrency. Devaluation of them would hurt too many comfortable people living in uncomfortable places.

Forget Sicario. It was good. But go watch Traffic. It did a good job detailing how it all happens from A to Z and why sometimes a bad war can lead to a few worthy battles. But overall will always be Pyrrhic.

Oh legalization of drugs isn’t a magic wand that instantly solves the drug trade violence and policing problem. Changes that big take time.

Gang bangers with violent criminal backgrounds will still gang bang until they die off. They’re a product of their time, and ain’t gonna change. Oh sure they’re still gonna pedal their wares on the street, but over time their customers will no longer have much desire to buy crack rock off Tyrone down in the hood when it can be had elsewhere for not much more coin, and minus seeing Tyrone. Maybe, just maybe not tossing all the Tyrones in jail all the time changes the trajectory of the next generation of little Tyrones Jr’s since Sr will hopefully be around cause his ass isn’t in jail.

Cartels and organized crime here is ‘Murica land would be pissed for sure. However just like the mob at the end of prohibition over time they’ll get crushed out of the market by established businesses who know how to market and distribute within normal channels. So they’ll have to move on to some other vices to pedal illegally.

None of it happens overnight, but every year that passed the gang banger and cartels would lose more money and market share. Some of them might even adapt and take advantage of doing business legally, particularly the cartels on the production side of the house.

Coal Dragger
04-27-21, 09:57
Yeah, I would like to know how many of these Kids coming across our Borders currently are going to end up in Human Trafficking? I think the numbers would be painful to look at.
The Cartel's don't want anything to change, certainly.

But kind of getting back to being outraged because some scum bag who lived on the margins and finally got shot for being to big for his britches, nope, not for me.
I think a lot of very comfortable people get outraged when it happens, but would they want to live in the same house with one of these people? I doubt it.
A lot of people would like to glamorize it, but is it worth dying for? Really?
No, as a Nation we need to understand that ignorance breeds violence and we will always have plenty of both to go around. Lets just face it, living in the Modern World isn't for everyone.
You play the game, just be aware of the results you get and don't be surprised.

Pretty much spot on.

Kind of like how we tsk tsk naughty African dictators that have their citizens murdered. You’re a very very very naughty bad naughty dictator! But your ass is in Africa in some country we can’t even pronounce, that doesn’t have Jack or shit we need. So with that in mind we will cry about how bad and naughty you are and then do exactly nothing.

teufelhund1918
04-27-21, 10:18
Presser is going on right now. The Brown lawyers are calling it an execution and flame baiting now. CNN(gakkkk) showing it live. I imagine the poo is getting ready to hit the flames today.....

utahjeepr
04-27-21, 10:26
Cut a fire break around the town and let em burn it to the ground. IDGAF. Same with Minneapolis, Columbus, Chicago,....

Who cares?

Averageman
04-27-21, 11:35
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYbBmduvEXM&t=45s

Really, you can't fix stupid, you've likely got very little to do with these people, for the sake of the rest of us, who will be sitting at home do legal stuff for the rest of our lives, quit condoning this malarkey.
You really can't "Fix" it.

Firefly
04-27-21, 12:20
Y’all do realize the biggest pusherman of Dope and Guns is the United States, don’t you?

You do realize all drug enforcement started out to control what was considered the “undesirable races” until it happened that dope carried more value as Gold?

Wars were funded with it. Nations built with it. And you are going to tell me that after a while the cartel will just get jobs and peter off if America “just Legalizes it”? You DO realize that America is the NASDAQ of drug valuation and futures, yes? I mean I truly hope you knew that and have a deeper point somewhere because otherwise you simply wouldn’t know what you were talking about and would be speaking way above your knowledge base.

JFC....

They have had think tanks spend decades pontificating on the matter and the only answers that ever came close to being right is to either cash in full bank or kill them all, especially their children, and salt the earth they trod upon.

Neither one is going to happen. I mean I hate to be the asshole but nobody asked you nor I what we thought about it. They have more clout than we do. And it is game on. You can get Nancy Reagan and everybody all day but they keep it illegal to control the capital.

I mean for every guy with a Colt SMG and a warrant there are a hundred guys with spreadsheets doing up logarithms for exponentiality and growth margins.

You gotta understand I had been playing game for almost 20 years and am lucky that I am not dead, turned, or in hiding somewhere.

Again, I empathize with you. It makes me uncomfortable too but it’s s still going to happen regardless and anybody who matters will not listen to you.

Men turn 21 every day on both sides.
It’s sad really

chuckman
04-27-21, 13:28
The good lad had a 180-page rap sheet, and drove a 700-series BMW in a county with a median income of $27K. Local news saying deputies may have shot him as he was trying to run them over, but have not seen any hard evidence.

Coal Dragger
04-27-21, 14:07
Well a 7 Series BMW depreciates like a meteor entering Earth’s atmosphere, so if it was used it probably didn’t cost much. Truly horrible cars, any modern BMW is a dumpster fire waiting to happen.

The poor bastard probably had to turn to a life of crime to keep up with repair bills on his 7 series.

Adrenaline_6
04-27-21, 14:10
Y’all do realize the biggest pusherman of Dope and Guns is the United States, don’t you?

You do realize all drug enforcement started out to control what was considered the “undesirable races” until it happened that dope carried more value as Gold?

Wars were funded with it. Nations built with it. And you are going to tell me that after a while the cartel will just get jobs and peter off if America “just Legalizes it”? You DO realize that America is the NASDAQ of drug valuation and futures, yes? I mean I truly hope you knew that and have a deeper point somewhere because otherwise you simply wouldn’t know what you were talking about and would be speaking way above your knowledge base.

JFC....

They have had think tanks spend decades pontificating on the matter and the only answers that ever came close to being right is to either cash in full bank or kill them all, especially their children, and salt the earth they trod upon.

Neither one is going to happen. I mean I hate to be the asshole but nobody asked you nor I what we thought about it. They have more clout than we do. And it is game on. You can get Nancy Reagan and everybody all day but they keep it illegal to control the capital.

I mean for every guy with a Colt SMG and a warrant there are a hundred guys with spreadsheets doing up logarithms for exponentiality and growth margins.

You gotta understand I had been playing game for almost 20 years and am lucky that I am not dead, turned, or in hiding somewhere.

Again, I empathize with you. It makes me uncomfortable too but it’s s still going to happen regardless and anybody who matters will not listen to you.

Men turn 21 every day on both sides.
It’s sad really

Truth. This has been the only proven way throughout history. They didn't do it back in the day because they were more brutal...they did it because it was the only way it would work. They knew it...so did everyone else at the time. Yet, the "dreamers" think there are better ways and we are 'better" than that now. Pfft. No...we are the same as we ever was...just more denial.

chuckman
04-27-21, 14:18
Well a 7 Series BMW depreciates like a meteor entering Earth’s atmosphere, so if it was used it probably didn’t cost much. Truly horrible cars, any modern BMW is a dumpster fire waiting to happen.

The poor bastard probably had to turn to a life of crime to keep up with repair bills on his 7 series.

My intimate knowledge of BMWs stop with the 2002Tii.

Adrenaline_6
04-27-21, 14:44

LOL...a neighbor's wife had one when I was a lot younger. Her personal license plate was "HI-MNTC". No sure if it was her, the vehicle, or both (she was pretty hot though)

CRAMBONE
04-27-21, 16:03
Come on man. No one uses Colt SMGs anymore.

Also it is very interesting that whatever hot spot the USG is involved in, the drug of choice in the U.S. is from that region. 60-70s Vietnam and H and weed. 80s South America and Coke and crack. GWOT and Central Asia the opioid epidemic and H. Of course meth is the wild card because it and fentynal are errrrywhere!

Firefly
04-27-21, 17:33
Come on man. No one uses Colt SMGs anymore.

Also it is very interesting that whatever hot spot the USG is involved in, the drug of choice in the U.S. is from that region. 60-70s Vietnam and H and weed. 80s South America and Coke and crack. GWOT and Central Asia the opioid epidemic and H. Of course meth is the wild card because it and fentynal are errrrywhere!

I did. I’m dating myself but I did. I have a soft spot for it. I liked it better than MP5. The only other Subgun that I can say I liked any better or same was the UMP 45. Ironically enough I don’t have a 9mm AR but I see myself ameliorating that. Probably get one that does Glock mags purely out of logistics.

CRAMBONE
04-27-21, 23:04

I had to qual on them a few times but never used them operationally. I think everyone has phased them out.

utahjeepr
04-27-21, 23:55
I had to qual on them a few times but never used them operationally. I think everyone has phased them out.

Pretty sure they are still around in MSG arms lockers.

titsonritz
04-28-21, 00:01
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYbBmduvEXM&t=45s

Really, you can't fix stupid, you've likely got very little to do with these people, for the sake of the rest of us, who will be sitting at home do legal stuff for the rest of our lives, quit condoning this malarkey.
You really can't "Fix" it.

That is 20min from me.

CRAMBONE
04-28-21, 00:03
Pretty sure they are still around in MSG arms lockers.

MSG=Marine Security Guards? If that’s what you mean then I believe you’re wrong. The SMG has been replaced by the M4 across the board. Everyone got over their fear of using a rifle cartridge and dumped the SMG, domestically and overseas. And the MSG program can be skewed at times, with does DoS give us this or does USMC, but DSS stopped using SMGs years ago even domestically and I don’t thing the USMC ever used them.

jsbhike
04-28-21, 06:28

Back in the mid 90's AMC(best I can recall) had a very interesting show on vice in America and that describes one of the segments. At a time when various opium and cocaine based concoctions were being bought OTC(almost invariably by the affluent) LE agencies were pitching their need to upgrade from .32 to .38 revolvers using claiming it was a must to deal with "wild eyed, cocaine fueled negros" and I assume that was the nicer in print version.

chuckman
04-28-21, 07:13
MSG=Marine Security Guards? If that’s what you mean then I believe you’re wrong. The SMG has been replaced by the M4 across the board. Everyone got over their fear of using a rifle cartridge and dumped the SMG, domestically and overseas. And the MSG program can be skewed at times, with does DoS give us this or does USMC, but DSS stopped using SMGs years ago even domestically and I don’t thing the USMC ever used them.

When I was in we did joint training with MSG to practice NEO evac and emergency embassy seizure and evac. We were both using MP5s (9mm) and M4s. The SMG was in no weps locker I saw. Not saying they weren't around, just I never saw them.

chuckman
04-28-21, 11:37
Per DA:

District Attorney Andrew Womble told a judge at the hearing Wednesday that Andrew Brown Jr.’s car made contact with deputies twice as it backed out of the driveway before law enforcement opened fire.

“As it backs up, it does make contact with law enforcement officers,” he said, adding that the car stops again. “The next movement of the car is forward. It is in the direction of law enforcement and makes contact with law enforcement. It is then and only then that you hear shots.”

Hadoken
04-28-21, 11:51
Well I think his family hit jackpot, Brown shot back of head
Statements like this bother me. If someone is trying to back over you with a car, where else does one shoot?
Investigation should determine if that is the case here, but location of bullet holes only matter in a vacuum of other details.

Firefly
04-28-21, 11:52
I was using a Colt SMG as recently as 2009 and miss it dearly. I put on a CTR stock and a RDS and aside from occasionally hiccups (like any gun), it was way more comfortable than an MP5. I also liked the muscle memory aspect.

Looking back, a 9mm AR is kinda lame but I really liked it for what it was. Spent time with both and preferred Colt.

Nowadays It’s a 5.56 or nothing. Some days I want some kind of a 7.62 AR in Rhodesian camouflage. Maybe overkill. I don’t know.

Averageman
04-28-21, 18:08
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5My16_06wY

Now we have this...

ChattanoogaPhil
04-28-21, 18:37
Bad stupid laws might be the law, but that doesn’t mean they’re not bad and stupid; creating just as many if not more serious problems than they exist to solve.

Kind of like bans on drugs are.

I prefer to stay focused on the subject and offer my views rather than commenting on others, but I agree there is no shortage of loudmouths on the Net.

I don't subscribe to the notion of good gun laws versus bad, or entertain arguments that armed crime and murder might be reduced if xyz firearms are banned. There could be irrefutable proof that banning xyz firearms would save 10,000 lives, reduce gun related injuries by 25,000 per year and whatever else. Doesn't matter. It's an infringement on the constitutionally protected God-given right to keep and bear arms. No thanks. End of analysis. I don't view drug laws the same way.

chuckman
04-28-21, 18:45
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5My16_06wY

Now we have this...

That is almost as opposite ends of North Carolina as you can get, Elizabeth City is miles from the beach, Watauga County is deep in the mountains, miles from Tennessee.

jsbhike
04-29-21, 06:46
I prefer to stay focused on the subject and offer my views rather than commenting on others, but I agree there is no shortage of loudmouths on the Net.

I don't subscribe to the notion of good gun laws versus bad, or entertain arguments that armed crime and murder might be reduced if xyz firearms are banned. There could be irrefutable proof that banning xyz firearms would save 10,000 lives, reduce gun related injuries by 25,000 per year and whatever else. Doesn't matter. It's an infringement on the constitutionally protected God-given right to keep and bear arms. No thanks. End of analysis. I don't view drug laws the same way.

9th and 10th Amendment cover drugs since what a person ingests doesn't get mentioned as being within the powers of the 3 branches.

Also, the war on drugs(and the war on the drug alcohol before it) is an integral part of the war on the 2nd Amendment.

john armond
04-29-21, 10:01
Both deputies in the Watauga County Boone area shooting are dead. A third Boone officer was shot. Also dead are two other people and the PODS.

According to the ODMP, so far in 2021 officers killed:
Assault: 3
Gunfire: 19
Stabbed: 2
Vehicular assault: 8

This list does not yet include the Delaware (I believe) officer beat to death, or various other causes of death.

ChattanoogaPhil
04-29-21, 10:48
9th and 10th Amendment cover drugs since what a person ingests doesn't get mentioned as being within the powers of the 3 branches.

Also, the war on drugs(and the war on the drug alcohol before it) is an integral part of the war on the 2nd Amendment.

At the risk of pointing out the obvious the warrant was pursuant to illegal sales of narcotics (cocaine), not having ingested narcotics. Unless it's related to something else like operating a vehicle, I don't know of many people prosecuted for simply having narcotics in their system, whether prescribed by a doctor and sold by a pharmacy, or otherwise.

No doubt there's Libertarian arguments that the entire system of government defining controlled substances and requiring licensed doctors and pharmacies to prescribe/sell is unconstitutional, and that it violates Mr Brown's constitutional rights to sell and distribute narcotics as he sees fit, but I'm just not interested.

chuckman
04-29-21, 10:57
Both deputies in the Watauga County Boone area shooting are dead. A third Boone officer was shot. Also dead are two other people and the PODS.

According to the ODMP, so far in 2021 officers killed:
Assault: 3
Gunfire: 19
Stabbed: 2
Vehicular assault: 8

This list does not yet include the Delaware (I believe) officer beat to death, or various other causes of death.

I am trying to find out more info re: Boone, but I don't know anyone up that way. They had 15 departments/jurisdictions respond to the event. Local news updating with new info every hour it seems.

jsbhike
04-29-21, 15:39
At the risk of pointing out the obvious the warrant was pursuant to illegal sales of narcotics (cocaine), not having ingested narcotics. Unless it's related to something else like operating a vehicle, I don't know of many people prosecuted for simply having narcotics in their system, whether prescribed by a doctor and sold by a pharmacy, or otherwise.

No doubt there's Libertarian arguments that the entire system of government defining controlled substances and requiring licensed doctors and pharmacies to prescribe/sell is unconstitutional, and that it violates Mr Brown's constitutional rights to sell and distribute narcotics as he sees fit, but I'm just not interested.

The Constitution doesn't say anything about possessing or selling drugs either, much like it doesn't say anything about .gov having a say in firearms issues.

Plenty of negatives with legal alcohol sales, but much less onerous than the negatives that popped up from prohibition.