PDA

View Full Version : What's so great about LMT rifles?

Spot
04-27-21, 16:30
I remember there being a long list of high-quality attributes of the LMT rifles, but I can't remember what they were. A friend is asking me about it, and I know you guys will give me the right answers for him.

Straight Shooter
04-27-21, 16:50
Having owned a Defender for over 13 years now & with many many thousands of rounds, plus reading & watching videos and articles on them-
MY opinion is its just overall build quality with in house made parts they have all the QC over, and innovative designs on the high end stuff.
The barrels are awesome, and I think are still cryo treated...I know mine was..just an extra step some argue for, some agin.
In my several decades of parusing gun shops, Ive only seen ONE on a shelf for sale...and I bought it quick as lightning on the spot. It is hands down my go to weapon, the first thing Id grab
should I need a rifle. Dead balls reliable, still shoots better than me, runs every mag type/brand you put in it, just lovely. The one & only black mark was the factory trigger. It was horrendous out of the box and for a couple years before I dropped in a Velocity 4lb trigger. Simply tits ever since.

Firefly
04-27-21, 17:34
At this point I will take an LMT over a Colt. But good luck finding either

Spot
04-27-21, 17:43
I remember something about magnetic particle something or other and some kind of proofing. Also something about LMT being a top-tier brand which actually sells to US military and complies with true Mil-Spec. . .
Can anyone shed more light on this? Do I have it right?
What actually sets LMT apart?

bad aim
04-27-21, 17:48
Besides all the info about outstanding quality, one thing I respect about them is that they're more active towards commercial sales over the past few years. Even though they're busy fulfilling military contracts to New Zealand and Estonia, they still haven't ignored us non-gov purchasers (*cough Colt*). My MRP was my first AR and it's been lights out accurate. Molon has done some write-ups on the accuracy of their barrels in the past, well worth a read!

Best of all, IIRC, they're still privately owned.

emt370
04-27-21, 18:43
I remember something about magnetic particle something or other and some kind of proofing. Also something about LMT being a top-tier brand which actually sells to US military and complies with true Mil-Spec. . .
Can anyone shed more light on this? Do I have it right?
What actually sets LMT apart?

They were one of the initial suppliers for the Mk18 project, so they had access to the TDP, hence the belief that the spec and QC followed to the commercial side. The old chart back in the day showed that they did almost everything to the TDP spec, minus parkerizing under the front sight base (big whoop), semi-auto BCGs, and carbine buffer (non-H). Full MPI inspections on barrel and bolt, proper metals for both as well. One other knock was that they used MIM carrier keys, but I don’t think that was proven to be detrimental.

markm
04-27-21, 18:51
LMT is simply a high quality manufacturer with some Mil contracts. The only knock on LMT (which isn't a big deal for most users) is that they phosphate their barrels with the FSB in place and they don't use taper pins on their FSBs.

joe138
04-27-21, 19:00
Plus they moved operations from Il to Iowa.

okie
04-27-21, 19:35
Colt won the Mk18 contract, so that pretty much says it all. And that Henderson place is saying they get 50-100% more rounds out of Colt BCGs, compared to LMT and DD. That's not to say LMT is bad, not at all, just that Colt is ahead of the curve, for the same price or less.

There's also been rampant speculation about whether LMT conforms to the TDP for their commercial sales. Colt is still to date the only manufacturer that unequivocally says they provide the same parts to their civilian customers as they do to military and law enforcement.

Now LMT's enhanced stuff is a whole different story. The Colt heat treat, while very cost effective, is merely a bandaid, whereas the LMT bolts (and by extension KAC's as well) actually fix the problem, albeit at great expense. That said, I've heard conflicting reports as to whether the bolts will last indefinitely on Mk18s, which might be why SOCOM passed them up in favor of the Colts. Who knows. There's not any clear answer how long an enhanced bolt will last in an SBR, if they last longer than Colt's new ones, or if so by how long. They're so much more expensive, and the information is so non specific, I couldn't justify the cost or sacrifice of interchangeability. I hope in the future there will be some solid data on them.

04-27-21, 21:21
When did Colt change their bolts?

LMT has some cool stuff with the MRP and their ambi lowers are nice.

Basic carbine vs basic carbine? I think a Colt has a slight edge, but an LMT is real close.

okie
04-27-21, 22:57
When did Colt change their bolts?

LMT has some cool stuff with the MRP and their ambi lowers are nice.

Basic carbine vs basic carbine? I think a Colt has a slight edge, but an LMT is real close.

Sometime in the early 2000s iirc. For SBRs it's more than a slight edge. More like the difference between predictable failure, vs. random self destruct.

ssc
04-27-21, 23:09
I have posted before as to my experience with LMT. Two defenders both had the SA BCG and C buffers. I asked them why and never received an answer, nor would they answer me at SHOT. IG said is was a cost cutting method. Both of my BCG's had substandard staking and the gas keys came loose. The CS was rather negative. Hence I repaired them and replaced the C buffers with H buffers. They have been extremely reliable thereafter.

I bought a complete LMT lower that was out of spec. The bolt catch/release plunger was wedged into the recess. It took me 2 hours to get it out. CS was terrible. they were arrogant and actually tried to blame the gun store?? I had to drill the recess to fix the issue.

However, I have built many lowers using LMT stripped lowers. They have been in spec and good to go.

Between my defenders, which have been reliable since I fixed them, and my colt 6920, I will take my colt every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

YMMV, Cheers, Steve

trauma
04-27-21, 23:35
When LMTs patent expires for the mono upper the entire industry will change forever.

okie
04-28-21, 02:15
I have posted before as to my experience with LMT. Two defenders both had the SA BCG and C buffers. I asked them why and never received an answer, nor would they answer me at SHOT. IG said is was a cost cutting method. Both of my BCG's had substandard staking and the gas keys came loose. The CS was rather negative. Hence I repaired them and replaced the C buffers with H buffers. They have been extremely reliable thereafter.

I bought a complete LMT lower that was out of spec. The bolt catch/release plunger was wedged into the recess. It took me 2 hours to get it out. CS was terrible. they were arrogant and actually tried to blame the gun store?? I had to drill the recess to fix the issue.

However, I have built many lowers using LMT stripped lowers. They have been in spec and good to go.

Between my defenders, which have been reliable since I fixed them, and my colt 6920, I will take my colt every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

YMMV, Cheers, Steve

Man that's disheartening to say the very least. Sounds like Aero is better quality for less money. Shoot, sounds like even Anderson is better. PSA for sure.

mark5pt56
04-28-21, 06:07

YMMV, Cheers, Steve

I actually had that happen to one. If it ever happens to anyone else, take a 5/32 drill bit and HAND HOLD it, push the detent in with it and gently turn to remove to offending material. The detent will release, then clean up the hole, touch up if necessary. Takes 5 minutes.

04-28-21, 07:01
When LMTs patent expires for the mono upper the entire industry will change forever.

A 13.5” MLOK monolithic Colt with their 16” mid barrel would be ok.

Stickman
04-28-21, 09:41

You would think so, but I don't see the Vltor VIS series flying off the shelves or in pictures. I will point out that I think Vltor needs to quit playing games and start up MLOK production. I don't care how invested they are in Keymod, or how well it works, it doesn't change that MLOK is what is currently selling.

okie
04-28-21, 10:01
You would think so, but I don't see the Vltor VIS series flying off the shelves or in pictures. I will point out that I think Vltor needs to quit playing games and start up MLOK production. I don't care how invested they are in Keymod, or how well it works, it doesn't change that MLOK is what is currently selling.

All the monolithic stuff is heavy and expensive. You have to have a real use case for it to make it pay.

CPM
04-28-21, 10:21
Colts made in then last two years or so are just mediocre at best. Their customer service is non-existent. Why anyone under 50 would buy one, other than for re-selling it to someone even older than them, when so many other options exist is beyond me.

Spot
04-28-21, 10:44
Which Colt model would most directly compare to a Defender 2000 Standard Model 16? . . . a 6920?

CPM
04-28-21, 10:49
Which Colt model would most directly compare to a Defender 2000 Standard Model 16?
Dude literally any of them. Mostly a 6920.

rushca01
04-28-21, 11:13
Long LMT owner, I SBR’ed two defender lowers 11 years ago and they are bullet proof. I have 4 MRP setups, 2 pic in both the CQB and rifle and the m lock in the same configuration.

My only gripe is the consumer market is only like 10-15% of their business model which is annoying. They have a very active FB group and one of the sales guys chimes in often and he’s been doing instagram live videos and later posts them to YouTube.

Regarding the commercial bolt carrier, I believe I have read they don’t want/sell ANY full auto parts in their complete commercial rifles, however, you can buy one from them and put it in.

04-28-21, 11:29
Now LMT's enhanced stuff is a whole different story. The Colt heat treat, while very cost effective, is merely a bandaid, whereas the LMT bolts (and by extension KAC's as well) actually fix the problem, albeit at great expense. That said, I've heard conflicting reports as to whether the bolts will last indefinitely on Mk18s, which might be why SOCOM passed them up in favor of the Colts. Who knows. There's not any clear answer how long an enhanced bolt will last in an SBR, if they last longer than Colt's new ones, or if so by how long. They're so much more expensive, and the information is so non specific, I couldn't justify the cost or sacrifice of interchangeability. I hope in the future there will be some solid data on them.
I’ve got two of the e-BCG’s. One has like a case of ammo on it, probably less, so its not relevant yet. In the other, the bolt has done a couple cases in a 16” extended midlength, followed by the entire BCG going 10,000-12,000 rounds in a 11.3”. I changed the extractor springs and ejector springs once (prompted by some stoppages), and I think I changed the extractor, also. Its still running, but not getting shot much. Small sample size, but I think they are pretty durable. Perhaps a regular bolt would work, also.

I wouldn’t worry one bit about interchangability with this bolt.

A 13.5” MLOK monolithic Colt with their 16” mid barrel would be ok.
I agree. I’d like to see the mono uppers take off. If one existed with a 1.75”-2” OD in MLOK, I’d probably buy one for a 14.5”. Oh well, URX4 will have to do.

Stick, you nailed it. The longer Vltor concentrates on Keymod, the more people will more or less forget about them. Also, they have always seemed to have a tendency to be OOS, or I would have bought a pic-rail mono upper from them a dozen years ago. If they make a mono upper in MLok, using similar weights, lengths, and widths as KAC URX4 uppers, I imagine they would find customers. As it is, the Vltor website is a cool place to check out great ideas that are hens’ teeth in real life.

I actually had that happen to one. If it ever happens to anyone else, take a 5/32 drill bit and HAND HOLD it, push the detent in with it and gently turn to remove to offending material. The detent will release, then clean up the hole, touch up if necessary. Takes 5 minutes.
I’ve done this trick with another brand lower; not unique to LMT.

okie
04-28-21, 11:59
Colts made in then last two years or so are just mediocre at best. Their customer service is non-existent. Why anyone under 50 would buy one, other than for re-selling it to someone even older than them, when so many other options exist is beyond me.

And you're basing this on...?

WillBrink
04-28-21, 12:43

All the monolithic stuff is heavy and expensive. You have to have a real use case for it to make it pay.

What makes LMT monolithic design any better/different than say Colt 6940?

okie
04-28-21, 15:38
I’ve got two of the e-BCG’s. One has like a case of ammo on it, probably less, so its not relevant yet. In the other, the bolt has done a couple cases in a 16” extended midlength, followed by the entire BCG going 10,000-12,000 rounds in a 11.3”. I changed the extractor springs and ejector springs once (prompted by some stoppages), and I think I changed the extractor, also. Its still running, but not getting shot much. Small sample size, but I think they are pretty durable. Perhaps a regular bolt would work, also.

I wouldn’t worry one bit about interchangability with this bolt.

I agree. I’d like to see the mono uppers take off. If one existed with a 1.75”-2” OD in MLOK, I’d probably buy one for a 14.5”. Oh well, URX4 will have to do.

Stick, you nailed it. The longer Vltor concentrates on Keymod, the more people will more or less forget about them. Also, they have always seemed to have a tendency to be OOS, or I would have bought a pic-rail mono upper from them a dozen years ago. If they make a mono upper in MLok, using similar weights, lengths, and widths as KAC URX4 uppers, I imagine they would find customers. As it is, the Vltor website is a cool place to check out great ideas that are hens’ teeth in real life.

I’ve done this trick with another brand lower; not unique to LMT.

I have no doubt they're more durable in general. They should last indefinitely on a 16" and many thousands of rounds in an SBR. It's just that you can get a whole new bolt for the price of an extractor alone, so you can afford to replace a milspec bolt as a prophylactic measure long before failure. I think that's basically where the Army was at when they passed up the e bolt in favor of the Colts. The problem they had was that the old bolts were breaking randomly, some after only a few thousand rounds, so there was always that fear that one would randomly break in a firefight. The new Colt ones gave them that confidence that they would last at least x amount of rounds, and they figured they could afford to just replace them. Which you have to realize they replace the barrels really often, too. These little Mk18 types are basically disposable.

okie
04-28-21, 15:46

I don't know if it's better. It's different because it's all one piece, whereas the Colt is exactly like the Vltor, where the bottom comes off, giving you access to the barrel nut. The LMT doesn't have a barrel nut, just a few bolts. I kind of doubt there's much practical difference in the end. Heck of a lot easier to change barrels on the LMT though. It's almost borderline modular in that sense. I guess you throw in a couple fix it sticks and a 300 barrel and you could make it into some kind of modular system.

Straight Shooter
04-28-21, 16:00
Which Colt model would most directly compare to a Defender 2000 Standard Model 16? . . . a 6920?

Yes, in my opinion.

markm
04-28-21, 16:14

I'm not an LMT fanboy, but their mono is friggin BAD ASS! I'm kicking myself for not buying the Brownells contract overruns from a while back.... but I need another AR like I need another news story selling corona virus lies.

04-28-21, 16:28
I have no doubt they're more durable in general. They should last indefinitely on a 16" and many thousands of rounds in an SBR. It's just that you can get a whole new bolt for the price of an extractor alone, so you can afford to replace a milspec bolt as a prophylactic measure long before failure.

Yeah, I doubt they offer an economic advantage to anyone. I just like the idea of throwing a bolt in a rifle when I assemble it, and not concerning myself until the extractor springs need replaced. They seem to last longer, also.

I’m just commenting on longevity of a singular sample.

CPM
04-28-21, 20:11
And you're basing this on...?

My own experience and the innumerable reviews of others and threads on this site.

Firefly
04-28-21, 21:00
Honestly, my biggest regret in life is not buying more LMT lowers and MRP uppers. I made a badass LMT upper a good while back and sold it to fund some crazy ass scheme.

I like Colt but LMT is the Truth. How naive I was.

04-29-21, 05:33
My own experience and the innumerable reviews of others and threads on this site.

I’ve been dealing with Colts for 20 years and the ones since ‘08 are the best they’ve ever made, and now with the EPR and the 6960 they’re even better. I think Colt quality is as good as it’s ever been.

okie
04-29-21, 08:01
I’ve been dealing with Colts for 20 years and the ones since ‘08 are the best they’ve ever made, and now with the EPR and the 6960 they’re even better. I think Colt quality is as good as it’s ever been.

We share the same perspective. I think people get turned off by the little inconsequential cosmetic flaws in Colts, where they skip milling some flashing or whatever, and then convince themselves that those things have something to do with quality. And then they completely ignore the fantastic durability of the parts and the accuracy of the barrels.

Oh well. Probably about the time that Colt is for all intents and purposes gone, that's when they'll realize how great it was. Should boost the value of all my post Colt Holding, pre CZ stuff.

AndyLate
04-29-21, 09:00
I am still mildly irritated my Defender lower came with a standard carbine buffer. I mated it to a SPM 14 upper and swapped in an A2 PG and H2 buffer; now its a very nice M4-like gun.

Is it better than a Colt? Probably not, but its certainly a peer.

I could not have purchased a Colt M4 with RAS and P/W the FH for anything close to what I have in my LMT with Troy DI quad rail.

Andy

https://i.imgur.com/mNlcDys.jpg

Spooky1
04-29-21, 12:46
I am still mildly irritated my Defender lower came with a standard carbine buffer. I mated it to a SPM 14 upper and swapped in an A2 PG and H2 buffer; now its a very nice M4-like gun.

Is it better than a Colt? Probably not, but its certainly a peer.

I could not have purchased a Colt M4 with RAS and P/W the FH for anything close to what I have in my LMT with Troy DI quad rail.

Andy

https://i.imgur.com/mNlcDys.jpg

That is a nice AR. 👍

AndyLate
04-29-21, 13:23
That is a nice AR. 👍

Thank you! I take no credit. I purchased the complete P/W upper with BCG, rail, and MaTech sight in the EE here, then bought a complete Defender lower.

The only things I did were to install a H2 buffer, Gissele G2S trigger, Colt A2 PG, AP Pro, and sling mount/BFG sling.

Andy

markm
04-29-21, 14:54
I am still mildly irritated my Defender lower came with a standard carbine buffer.

Yeah. That's insane, but easily remedied. I remember Pappabear got a complete lower with the carbine buffer. We shot it a little bit. Wow! So wrong.

arptsprt
04-29-21, 15:09
Bro, no... it’s a carbine length gas system with a puny little carbine length rail AND a FSP. This POS is worthless.

Andy; kidding man. Being sarcastic. Nice shooter. Even if it’s really only neat and intended for someone 50 or over... [emoji51]

That is a nice AR. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

john armond
04-29-21, 15:31
Regarding the commercial bolt carrier, I believe I have read they don’t want/sell ANY full auto parts in their complete commercial rifles, however, you can buy one from them and put it in.

Several years ago I bought a complete 10.5” upper, new with BCG. I called LMT CS and asked if I could trade it for a F/A carrier as I had yet to shoot the upper. They told me to send the commercial BCG so they could make sure it was actually one of theirs and they sent me a new F/A BCG. All I was out was the shipping to them.

MA2_Navy_Veteran
04-29-21, 16:19
The first AR I ever owned was one I put together from a complete LMT Defender 2000 Lower half (with gen 1 Sopmod stock), and an M&A parts P/W 14.7 upper w/stainless barrel. Though over the last 20 years, I've swapped that LMT lower half with many different uppers, it has always functioned flawlessly. The only thing that I've ever swapped out/around as far as the lower goes is the buffer itself (with heavier buffers at times depending on the upper used) - Again, it's has always performed flawlessly for me - maybe that's just luck - I don't know, but I've never had a problem with it.

There are a number of things that I like about LMT as a company:

They have consistently & repeatedly won & maintained a number of military contracts over the last couple of decades (which shows they have a lot of experience producing quality mil-spec components).
Their company reps actually seem to listen & take to heart their customer's reviews & recommendations in regards to their products &/or advertising (Website changes, civilian product offerings/parts, ect.).
Though I haven't ever had a need to speak with a customer rep in regards to a repair or deficiency, I have spoken with them a number of times either ordering parts not listed on their website (like rifle receiver extensions & A2 stocks), or asking about any upcoming product changes, and they have always been extremely helpful & receptive in regards to such things.
As well - I really like LMT's company logo - It's simple and to the point, kind of like FN in that regard, though LMT doesn't waste time, money & effort to produce a fancier version of their logo just for civilian sales as FN does (Kudos to LMT for keeping it plain & simple)
And perhaps most important of all, LMT FULLY supports the 2nd Amendment, so much so that they moved their entire operations out of IL due to that state's retardation regarding 2A concepts.

Overall, I would say that your friend would not likely find much better than LMT's products, and could most certainly do far worse looking elsewhere, but that's just my thoughts on the matter. Hope you find it useful.

okie
04-29-21, 17:00
Bro, no... it’s a carbine length gas system with a puny little carbine length rail AND a FSP. This POS is worthless.

Andy; kidding man. Being sarcastic. Nice shooter. Even if it’s really only neat and intended for someone 50 or over... [emoji51]

I have to smirk a little bit whenever I see a backup front sight mounted at the end of a 15 inch free float rail. If they only knew...

JediGuy
04-29-21, 18:53
And perhaps most important of all, LMT FULLY supports the 2nd Amendment, so much so that they moved their entire operations out of IL due to that state's retardation regarding 2A concepts.

Hmm... Did they say that? I always figured it was due to the tax and employment law differences.

I am not knocking LMT at all. I have a MARS-L that I like, and used an MWS receiver extension set to complete it.

AndyLate
04-29-21, 19:36

Well, I'm 52, so...

Spooky1
04-30-21, 01:27

I'm only 44 . 🤔
I do believe the late 80's - all the 90's to be the most awesome time to grow up, so......
🤣

MikhailBarracuda91
04-30-21, 12:21
My brother's LMT spm-16. It also came with a carbine buffer and semi auto BCG. That was taken care of though with a enhanced BCG, Springco white/H2 buffer.

ADCO cut crowned and re-thread the barrel to 14.7", FH is pinned and welded on. He kept the delta ring, so he is using a DD omega rail.

This thing shoots lights out, and is a pussy cat even with the regular F/A LMT BCG we've tried in it. The enhanced one is really something else https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210430/7c21f811916d4185b3cfbe921c3b64af.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

prepare
04-30-21, 13:31
Do the newer LMT's still say Milan IL or Eldridge IA

Firefly
04-30-21, 13:59
Man the people I thought were young and hip and older than Methuselah.

Also I love my Illinois LMTs and won’t part with them. When I get a MARS-H lower it WILL. BE. ON

prepare
04-30-21, 14:26
Did Karl Lewis ever work a Colt?

Spooky1
04-30-21, 14:48
My brother's LMT spm-16. It also came with a carbine buffer and semi auto BCG. That was taken care of though with a enhanced BCG, Springco white/H2 buffer.

ADCO cut crowned and re-thread the barrel to 14.7", FH is pinned and welded on. He kept the delta ring, so he is using a DD omega rail.

This thing shoots lights out, and is a pussy cat even with the regular F/A LMT BCG we've tried in it. The enhanced one is really something else https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210430/7c21f811916d4185b3cfbe921c3b64af.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

NICE!!!!! 👍

Pappabear
04-30-21, 15:06
I am an LMT fanboy and own both AR15's and AR10's in both LMT and Colt. Also, the LMT monolithic uppers and MARs ambi lowers are very nice. Ive had no issues with either brand and enjoy having both compete for my money.

I don't know how an expiring Mono contract is going to change that much, but Ive been wrong before and Im sure will again. Brownells sold some LMT 10.5 mono uppers for pennies and I should have bought 10 of them.

I think LMT is a little more innovative with their Ambi lowers and e carriers but both base guns are awesome. MikhailBarracuda91, that is one clean no frills bad boy, well done.

PB

jsbhike
04-30-21, 16:07
. Two defenders both had the SA BCG and C buffers. I asked them why and never received an answer, nor would they answer me at SHOT. IG said is was a cost cutting method.

I can see that on the buffer weights(although likely a trivial amount of savings) but a semi auto bolt carrier is extra time and tool wear(again, likely a trivial amount).

Five_Point_Five_Six
04-30-21, 16:14
My only gripe with my 10.5 CQB is I wish the rail was a tad longer, basically the same length as a DD MK18 RIS II rail. That way there is almost zero gap between a silencer and the rail. It's purely an aesthetical gripe on my part, and I understand why LMT made it the length they did.

My MK18 gets more day to day use, it's kind of my beater, training, throw in the truck gun, but my LMT is what sits by my bedside, and what will be called upon to reign down hellfire and brimstone to any that enter with ill intent.

I also really adore my 6933. In truth, I think those three are top tier SBR uppers and I'm thankful to have all three.

At the end of the day, a KAC says you mean business, but a LMT lets them know you like to boogie.

JediGuy
04-30-21, 18:20
Did Karl Lewis ever work a Colt?

No.

They did a cool history of type video a year or two ago.

ta0117
04-30-21, 18:26
Colt won the Mk18 contract, so that pretty much says it all. And that Henderson place is saying they get 50-100% more rounds out of Colt BCGs, compared to LMT and DD. That's not to say LMT is bad, not at all, just that Colt is ahead of the curve, for the same price or less.

There's also been rampant speculation about whether LMT conforms to the TDP for their commercial sales. Colt is still to date the only manufacturer that unequivocally says they provide the same parts to their civilian customers as they do to military and law enforcement.

Colt bolts don’t last any longer on average than DD or LMT. From Henderson Defense there as one bolt that lasted way longer but it was the exception, not the norm, and Colt bolts fail around the same time as DD or LMT. They still make good stuff but it’s not some secret sauce.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/High-round-count-AR-M4-s-over-100-000-rounds-and-how-they-have-handled-on-our-range/118-677135/?page=24#i7343147

Pappabear
04-30-21, 19:21
My only gripe with my 10.5 CQB is I wish the rail was a tad longer, basically the same length as a DD MK18 RIS II rail. That way there is almost zero gap between a silencer and the rail. It's purely an aesthetical gripe on my part, and I understand why LMT made it the length they did.

My MK18 gets more day to day use, it's kind of my beater, training, throw in the truck gun, but my LMT is what sits by my bedside, and what will be called upon to reign down hellfire and brimstone to any that enter with ill intent.

I also really adore my 6933. In truth, I think those three are top tier SBR uppers and I'm thankful to have all three.

At the end of the day, a KAC says you mean business, but a LMT lets them know you like to boogie.

Well said and Gave me a chuckle, gracias.

PB

Renegade
04-30-21, 19:34
You would think so, but I don't see the Vltor VIS series flying off the shelves or in pictures.

I have had the VIS and the MRP.

The VIS cannot even be compared to the MRP. 2 Bolts to change a BBL on the MRP, the VIS requires removal of 6oclock rail, then a special tool is needed, then you wrench and hope it is not gallled, or the only way to get your BBL off is to cut the receiver.....

Which reminds me, anyone need a cut VIS? I have front and back halves.

Spot
05-01-21, 14:02
Great discussion guys. My buddy will enjoy it. Thanks for all the input

Do most other manufacturers do MPI and Cryo, etc. . . or is it just LMT & Colt?

DG23
05-02-21, 10:57
Great discussion guys. My buddy will enjoy it. Thanks for all the input

Do most other manufacturers do MPI and Cryo, etc. . . or is it just LMT & Colt?

Years ago I had a particular Cryo treated barrel that was noticeably different in a few ways to similar barrels that were not Cryo treated. I called the company that made the barrel and asked them who they used for that particular service and they actually told me...

That company is still around today and still Cryo treating barrels and everything else under the sun that different people send to them. Many other companies as well have been doing the same services for years.

Next time I send some barrels off to have done I am slipping in the barrel from my RIA 1911 and having it done as well just to see if I can spot any before and after difference in how much shit that barrel collects and how difficult it is to remove. That RIA barrel I have has been a fouling MAGNET since day one.

phixion
05-02-21, 11:23
A little info on LMT's cryo treatment.

@ 59:29

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=59m29s&v=561AMwAFttw&feature=youtu.be