PDA

View Full Version : BCG Grease.

An Undocumented Worker
12-07-08, 20:02
I just got back from the range after firing about 200 rnds through my M&P 15, that I've put about 4-500 rounds through it total so far.
And instead of using oil on the sliding surfaces of the bolt carrier and foreward end of the bolt I used some Buzzy's Slick Honey (http://www.slickhoneyusa.com/aboutus.html). It's a grease that I have lying around that was origionally designed for use on bicycle suspension parts, where lots of hard anodized aluminum is used. After some quick searching it seems to have gained a following in the Paintball world as well. The stuff is slick as all hell and designed to creep into areas that heat up.

Well after shooting about 200 rounds tonight the bolt carrier/upper reciever, and locking lugs still have a nice strong coating of grease and had no malfunctions at all using 55gr Wolf military classic. The stuff seems to work great for this application and did not burn off the carrier or the foreward end of the bolt. I used militec one for oiling the gas key and gas rings, but the stuff still burns off the gas rings so I'm gonna try Break Free LP on that area next time.

The main reason I decided to try this stuff is because I noticed some of the anodizing wearing in a few spots on my upper after 400 rounds where the sliding surfaces of the bcg ride in the upper.

While I assume this is normal and will deminish as all the parts wear in together, it just seemed that oil wasn't quite enough, and I also know that this gun will not likely see any really dusty/sandy conditions here in Georgia. After seeing more than a few gun specific oils work great as a bicycle chain lube, I figured I'd try cross polinating the other direction too since the grease is desinged specifically for sliding surfaces and has worked well for me in the past in automotive applications as well.

I'm just not sure how well the stuff will hold up after 3-4 quick mag dumps when ya get things really warm, but initial results seem promising.

tpe187
12-07-08, 20:17
Any lubrication is better than none.

I've used multiple types of grease before and it does work. It is especially benificial if you will be shooting a lot in a day, say 500rds or so. It also works well if your drills involve a lot of non standard response engagements when the carrier will really heat up and most oils will be blown/burned off. Just don't get too carried away with the grease.

I'm surprised your rifle ate the Wolf ammo. I had a buddy call me the other day complaining about the new PMAG's he had bought and that he had nothing but failures to feed. He was shooting a Bushmaster. I agreed to meet him and diagnose the problem. Everything mechanical checked out, Lube was in the right places and in just the right amount. The chamber looked dirty, so I cleaned that. Then I had him run some M855 through the rifle. Ran like a sewing machine. Swithced to winchester, still ran. Tried the Wolf again, nothing but failures. Just not enough gas to cycle the bolt and carrier back. I guess if it works for you, go with it.

WS6
12-08-08, 12:12
That stuff sounds a LOT like the RIG +p that I run on some stuff.

markm
12-08-08, 12:30
I use grease there too. I also put it on the Cam pin since regular lube just doesn't cut it there. I'm just running high temp automotive grease though.

Littlelebowski
12-08-08, 12:35
If it won't shoot Wolf, I don't want it :D

WS6
12-08-08, 16:54
If it won't shoot Wolf, I don't want it :D

+1 on that!

Damascus
12-08-08, 18:35
Nice. I feel the same way about the lube combination that I'm currently using - Slip2000 EWL and Mil-COMM TW25B weapons grease. So far both products are among the best I've ever used.

MassMark
12-08-08, 22:23
The day I finished my Anvil Arms M4, I put Militec-1 grease that I use on my M1A on the metal-to-metal surfaces of my AR. I hit 1k today and have not cleaned it - even a little. Runs like a top and looks great....I have the same experience with my Uzi as well. I use the Militec and wipe it out with a rag, reapply and move on with my life.