PDA

View Full Version : Suppressor mount conversion options.

kwelz
05-05-21, 02:52
I have decided I am going to send my M4-2000 off to have the QD system replaced with a more reliable choice. So my conundrum is which system to choose.

Currently I have the above mentioned M4-2000 and a Gemtech shield for rifle cans and a number of Griffin armament pistol and hybrid cans. So I don’t have to worry about compatibility with existing cans I have. However I do want to consider future purchases.

Currently I am leaning towards the Dead Air Key-mo system but I also see that Silencerco ASR would work.

Could anyone give me the pros and cons here? Also any other systems I should consider?

Thanks.

NoveskeFan
05-05-21, 07:16
In for info, as well. I'm on the wait list with ECCO to have my AAC 556SD converted to Dead Air Keymo. I only have one can, but several rifles currently with 51T mounts. My understanding is that the conversion will add some length and weight, but I want a QD type mount instead of a direct thread.

hotrodder636
05-05-21, 07:31
I didn’t have to have a conversion done for my Omega and Saker as there is a Keymo adapter designed for them. The Keymo adapter does add some length and weight but that is a trade off I was willing to accept for the function/convenience of the Keymo QD. I am happy I made the switch.

kwelz
05-05-21, 07:54
In for info, as well. I'm on the wait list with ECCO to have my AAC 556SD converted to Dead Air Keymo. I only have one can, but several rifles currently with 51T mounts. My understanding is that the conversion will add some length and weight, but I want a QD type mount instead of a direct thread.

How long is the waitlist? I am planning on emailing them later today.

NoveskeFan
05-05-21, 08:09

I just got on the list 4/26/21 and was told Spring 2022 :jester: I dont think that takes their new CNC lathe into account, so fingers crossed it goes faster...I dont mind the wait too much since their quality and attention to detail get great reviews.

Alex V
05-05-21, 08:15
I only have experience with DeadAir but I am very impressed with their mounting system. Easy on and off, predictable POI shift because it mounts in the same position/rotation every time, and they make a butt load of mounts for various thread patterns. I have two Dear Air cans and mounts on 5 guns [2 x .308, 3 x 5.56], seems to be working so far.

jackblack73
05-05-21, 09:36
I have the Dead Air KeyMo for my Omega and I'm happy with it. However, if I were doing it over today I'd at least take a closer look at the Q Plan B because it's so short and light.

jmnielsen
05-05-21, 09:51

I got on the list at the beginning of Jan and back then they said 3-4 months but sounds like that's been extended.

HCrum87hc
05-06-21, 10:58
I didn’t have to have a conversion done for my Omega and Saker as there is a Keymo adapter designed for them. The Keymo adapter does add some length and weight but that is a trade off I was willing to accept for the function/convenience of the Keymo QD. I am happy I made the switch.

This. I went with the Plan A from Griffin Armament on my Omega, but it's not really QD. It's basically a tapered direct thread to the muzzle device. It is much shorter and lighter than the ASR for sure, but I wouldn't want to switch the can between rifles regularly. I've found that the adapter gets carbon locked to the muzzle device, and when I try to remove it, the Omega unscrews from the adapter instead of the adapter coming off the muzzle device.

My next suppressor will be a Sandman S for my other rifles, and I'll probably just leave the Omega on the Plan A adapter and leave that on my .300 full time.

Clint
05-06-21, 15:25
Having the suppressor equipped with 1.375×24 TPI thread mount allows for a variety of mounting systems and makes it future proof.

https://d2j6dbq0eux0bg.cloudfront.net/images/1203046/2140354696.jpg

05-06-21, 20:07
This. I went with the Plan A from Griffin Armament on my Omega, but it's not really QD. It's basically a tapered direct thread to the muzzle device. It is much shorter and lighter than the ASR for sure, but I wouldn't want to switch the can between rifles regularly. I've found that the adapter gets carbon locked to the muzzle device, and when I try to remove it, the Omega unscrews from the adapter instead of the adapter coming off the muzzle device.

My next suppressor will be a Sandman S for my other rifles, and I'll probably just leave the Omega on the Plan A adapter and leave that on my .300 full time.

I have that problem with Plan A with one can, a Turbo K. I must have not cleaned the threads well enough before Rocksetting the adapter into the can. I did use it with a variety of mounts before settling on Plan A. I re-did it for a third time about a month ago, with no issues so far. I’ve had no issues with my Rex/Plan A, which has replaced the previous mounting system on my go-to. In fact, I’m enamored.

I sure do wish that QD taper threads were lefty, like OSS.

Shoot me a PM in like a month or two and I’ll let you know if the Turbo K is still holding.

Edit: I just looked at that can, and now I remember why the adapter came loose before. Its because I put it on without putting it in the vise, dried the Rocksett in the oven, and went to the range. Don’t be like me. Paint chips aren’t for eating.

Edit 2: it’s still holding since re-installing the adapter with more care.

kwelz
05-07-21, 02:28
Thanks guys, lots to think about here. I do have a couple Griffin cans so I considered Plan A. But really wanted to keep QD options open.

I am still leaning KeyMo but had not considered the Q Plan B mounting system so now I am looking at that as well.

NoveskeFan
05-07-21, 07:34
Thanks guys, lots to think about here. I do have a couple Griffin cans so I considered Plan A. But really wanted to keep QD options open.

I am still leaning KeyMo but had not considered the Q Plan B mounting system so now I am looking at that as well.

Just FYI, ECCO announced that the lead time for mount conversions will be just about cut in half with their upgraded machinery/production capacity. :D

kwelz
05-07-21, 09:49
Just FYI, ECCO announced that the lead time for mount conversions will be just about cut in half with their upgraded machinery/production capacity. :D

I saw the posts on Facebook about the new equipment. I still need to email them.

Do you go into their queue and then send the suppressor in when it is time or do you send it and wait.

NoveskeFan
05-07-21, 09:59
I saw the posts on Facebook about the new equipment. I still need to email them.

Do you go into their queue and then send the suppressor in when it is time or do you send it and wait.

Get added to the queue and they'll call you to send in your mount and suppressor when they get to your spot. In my case, the AAC 556SD and Dead Air DA428 Keymo mount. I believe they said it's about 3-4 weeks for turnaround once they receive the mount & suppressor.

jackblack73
05-07-21, 11:10
The newer Dead Air Xeno looks interesting. Lighter and a little shorter than the KeyMo. I like the reverse threading.

Pressingonward
05-07-21, 12:10
The newer Dead Air Xeno looks interesting. Lighter and a little shorter than the KeyMo. I like the reverse threading.

That does look interesting! I was looking at the Griffin Plan A or the YHM Kurz. Nice to have another option to consider as well.

docsherm
05-07-21, 20:50
I have decided I am going to send my M4-2000 off to have the QD system replaced with a more reliable choice. So my conundrum is which system to choose.

Currently I have the above mentioned M4-2000 and a Gemtech shield for rifle cans and a number of Griffin armament pistol and hybrid cans. So I don’t have to worry about compatibility with existing cans I have. However I do want to consider future purchases.

Currently I am leaning towards the Dead Air Key-mo system but I also see that Silencerco ASR would work.

Could anyone give me the pros and cons here? Also any other systems I should consider?

Thanks.

I sent my SDN-6 off to get converted to the Dead Air KeyMo mount. I am also getting ready yo send off my other AAC cans to also get converted to the KeyMo mount. It is the best lock up i have seen and everything about it can be replaced in you home. Since you will no longer be able to get repairs from AAC (if they even get backnin the game) it is important that maintenance can still be done.

JediGuy
05-07-21, 21:51

If I planned on getting several cans, Xeno seems like the way to go; lighter, shorter, reverse threading. If I planned on infrequent moves but didn’t want another direct thread, this is what I’d get. Since my expectation is to have 1-2 cans more at most, the KeyMo will allow movement between hosts and is the right choice for me based on the overwhelming positive assessment of its QD system. YMMV.

el_chupo_
05-07-21, 23:07
Having the suppressor equipped with 1.375×24 TPI thread mount allows for a variety of mounting systems and makes it future proof.

https://d2j6dbq0eux0bg.cloudfront.net/images/1203046/2140354696.jpg

QFT

I dont see any reason not to get it threaded in what has become standard. Options from ASR, Keymo, Xeno, Griffin, Q, YHM, tri lug, plain old threaded endcaps, piston mounts, Area 419, and probably whatever is currently in development will be compatible.

05-08-21, 09:27
Is the Xeno really that much shorter than the Keymo? On the Xeno, the wrench flats still show while the silencer is installed on the gun. How long is that section? 1/4”? 3/8”? The adapter itself adds like 5/8” to the can, so it looks like added length is between 3/4” and 1”. Its definitely lighter, and the design seems well thought-out, to me. I love the short-ish, simple birdcage aesthetic, which is a radical departure from Dead Air’s long ass Keymo devices, which themselves are now available shorter, also. I’m certain that when FCD makes a A2-ish mount for it, it will be the bees knees as far as muzzle devices go, much like their other FHs. The brake also seems cool, and has no need for timing. I’m sure when this line is fully mature, the Xeno will end up with time-able brakes and comps, too.

The Keymo adds around ~1.25”. Plan B looks (I don’t have one) around .4”, Plan A adds ~.2”, plan A XL adds 1” (.8” over the OG Plan A), which is required for some of Griffin’s devices to fit inside a Nomad or Rex can. It seems to me that while the Xeno has a similar, but perhaps better, design than Q or Griffin’s thread-on taper mounts, the added length is in between those and the Keymo.

I wonder if Dead Air plans on any new cans built around this new mount, using a deeper blast chamber rather than an extending adapter similar to Plan A XL. A shorter adapter would be cool, too, but would have limited applications. YHM might work. Or a “minimalist” mount ending at the taper.

Not directed at anyone in particular, but some people repeatedly hate on companies that make superficially similar-looking cans or devices to another company, calling them copycats. I find it interesting that I haven’t noticed those people remarking on the Xeno, which implies that Dead Air’s social media marketing techniques work well to affect perception, buying them a pass.

Roger, I know that Griffin is likely to be an ass about collaborating, but I’d be down for 5 Plan A 6315s. Pipe dreams, I know.

thei3ug
05-11-21, 09:41
I'm waiting to see what other people adopt the Xeno format. Don't know what licensing arrangement DA is promoting, or intends in the future. I hope they commoditize with open license, but we'll see. They're being tight about it now. At any rate I'm waiting for FCD as well.

As for the mob... It helps that folks like Mike. Personality goes a long way.
Also helps that as everyone and their mother has some form of a comp, tined FH, a taper with threads fore, aft, ratcheted, tool flats here, there, everywhere, etc.... the "copy" complaint gets lost in the noise.

So on that note, it's probably not in Griffin's business interest to collaborate, but to further the lock in.