PDA

View Full Version : Holosun 512 vs Aimpoint and EOTech

BoringGuy45
05-06-21, 08:28
I was interested in the HE512T; it looks like a mix of Aimpoint battery life with EOTech's reticle. Quite intriguing! I know people like Holosun for pistol optics, saying how they're punching WAY above their weight and are in many ways superior to Aimpoint and Trijicon but for less money. But how are their rifle optics stacking up? Would selling my Aimpoint PRO to finance a HE512 be a good move?

themonk
05-06-21, 09:36
I was interested in the HE512T; it looks like a mix of Aimpoint battery life with EOTech's reticle. Quite intriguing! I know people like Holosun for pistol optics, saying how they're punching WAY above their weight and are in many ways superior to Aimpoint and Trijicon but for less money. But how are their rifle optics stacking up? Would selling my Aimpoint PRO to finance a HE512 be a good move?

I have never had an issue with two of my 500 series from several years ago. I still run an Aimpoint on my primary rifles. Personally I would go with the HS503R or the HS503CU. I have no experience with the HE512T.

mojobiker
05-06-21, 11:29
I've no experience with the HE512T, but I do have a HS503R and can share one data point in regards to the battery-life and the multi-reticle system ... when using the ring & dot reticle, the battery-life is significantly less than the 50k hours advertised. I'm not sure if I even got a year out of it. That said, I absolutely love the HS503R and would not hesitate in purchasing another. For my eye (moderate astigmatism), the dot is crisper than my T1.

BoringGuy45
05-06-21, 12:49
I've no experience with the HE512T, but I do have a HS503R and can share one data point in regards to the battery-life and the multi-reticle system ... when using the ring & dot reticle, the battery-life is significantly less than the 50k hours advertised. I'm not sure if I even got a year out of it. That said, I absolutely love the HS503R and would not hesitate in purchasing another. For my eye (moderate astigmatism), the dot is crisper than my T1.

That's interesting. Holosun's website confirms that the battery life using the circle and dot is significantly less. But they claim that it's still supposed to be (on setting 6) about 20k hours as opposed to 50k with the dot; so that still should get you about 3 years. But that seems to be the running theme with a lot of RDS, even Aimpoints: The battery life, even on the supposedly 80k hour CompM4s, is not near that, even on the tested setting.

Warp
05-06-21, 21:26

Same. The HS512C is pretty much objectively inferior to the stuff the dinosaur American companies are sitting with no change.

Way more battery life than a holographic (eotech/uh-1), circle dot reticle option the Aimpoints don't have, much longer battery life, tons of abuse tests and competitors and shooters using them hard for awhile now with stellar feedback pretty much across the board, far less expensive than the dinosaur competition. Shake awake. Solar power. When I first opened mine I took it into a pitch black basement before putting the battery in. It was bright running on the capacitor from sitting under the living room light after opening. I sold both of my Aimpoints and have no intention of buying another. And I'd never run eotech but objectively and by specs and features eo can't even really compete here

BoringGuy45
05-09-21, 19:29
Anybody have a thought on the HS503CU vs the HS503R? Any reason to get the button adjustment vs the rotary switch? I find it interesting that the CU is only about $10 or so more despite having the solar backup and the button adjustments and such.

themonk
05-09-21, 19:35
Anybody have a thought on the HS503CU vs the HS503R? Any reason to get the button adjustment vs the rotary switch? I find it interesting that the CU is only about $10 or so more despite having the solar backup and the button adjustments and such.

I greatly prefer the HS503R. It is much easier to adjust on the fly vs the buttons.

MR_JOSHUA
05-14-21, 11:25
I would not consider selling the Aimpoint PRO to fund the other one.
The PRO is a keeper

1986s4
05-24-21, 07:21
IMO I would not sell the Aimpoint unless you find the dot unusable by your eyes. For me that was the case [Aimpoint Pro] and I didn't own another optical sight for years afterward. Then I tried a Aimpoint Comp M4 and that dot is clear and precise to my eye. My considerations: sight clarity, cost, country of origin. Made in china is an instant no-go for me.

BoringGuy45
05-25-21, 21:44
I'm thinking I'll hold onto the PRO, but I'll grab a 512 when I can. I just have to find a riser to get a 1/3 co-witness though.

Sam
05-29-21, 16:12
Wouldn't the shake awake feature on the Holosun prolongs the battery life when one stores the gun? I'm not an expert on these, only have used Aimpoints with its on/off switch. Educate me on that shake/wake business please.

themonk
05-29-21, 16:32
Wouldn't the shake awake feature on the Holosun prolongs the battery life when one stores the gun? I'm not an expert on these, only have used Aimpoints with its on/off switch. Educate me on that shake/wake business please.

It's just as you suspect - gun is in the safe, you open safe and grab the gun, the Holosun senses movement and turns on to your last set brightness, you then put the gun back and in 10 minutes, 3 hours or 12 hours based on your settings, the ‘sleep’ mode is activated. I have never had any issues as it is super quick, before you shoulder the gun its on and feels like it was on all the time.

Sam
05-29-21, 16:58
It's just as you suspect - gun is in the safe, you open safe and grab the gun, the Holosun senses movement and turns on to your last set brightness, you then put the gun back and in 10 minutes, 3 hours or 12 hours based on your settings, the ‘sleep’ mode is activated. I have never had any issues as it is super quick, before you shoulder the gun its on and feels like it was on all the time.

Thanks. So you shouldn't theoretically have dead battery right?

themonk
05-29-21, 17:35

At some point its going to die but it should help. I'm still on my first battery and its been going since Feb of 2019.

Warp
05-29-21, 17:50

Batteries all die eventually, even in storage in their unopened packaging due to self discharge, and there is obviously some drain to keep the sensor running and ready to go. And some batteries are just not-good, I won't buy them on Amazon any more...

Sam
05-29-21, 20:22
Got it. Understood that batteries die.