PDA

View Full Version : Anyone still rocking the ACOG?

Wow
05-07-21, 13:05
Curios if people have moved on to LVPOs entirely. I'm still on the fence about them. I had a razor 1-10 that I got rid of because of the annoying fish eye at 1x.

MikhailBarracuda91
05-07-21, 13:17
I'm actually rocking a TA-31. I'm pretty excited to go shoot some razorcore with it in a few days

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

opngrnd
05-07-21, 13:53
I'm generally a "simple is better" type. I'm hoping to get an ACOG when the one I want comes back in stock.

Wow
05-07-21, 14:13
I'm generally a "simple is better" type. I'm hoping to get an ACOG when the one I want comes back in stock.

Which are you eyeing? The PA ACSS one? Those are almost never in stock it seems. Trijicon must be busy making contract VCOGs.
Ever heard of the Browe BTO/BCO?

SomeOtherGuy
05-07-21, 14:32
TA-11 with crosshair reticle. Still a fan, and have used it to good effect in 2-gun competition.

There are plenty of arguments for the 1-6x scopes, but the TA-11 is lighter and more rugged than most of them. Maybe not all of them, any more. And no fiddling with the zoom ring or illumination control.

I also use 1-6x scopes, and wouldn't care much either way if I could only use 1-6x, or could only use the TA-11.

opngrnd
05-07-21, 17:24
Which are you eyeing? The PA ACSS one? Those are almost never in stock it seems. Trijicon must be busy making contract VCOGs.

The ACSS. I have a hard time trusting LVPOs since they seem to break so often.

gunnerblue
05-07-21, 17:27
We still have various ACOG's on about half the M4's at work. They still do a great job at putting rounds on man-sized silhouettes at moderate ranges

TheAlsatian
05-07-21, 18:35
I have a TA-11 on my SIG Pe90. It is fine for what I use it for.

caporider
05-07-21, 18:45
I'm a fan of ACOGs with offset red dots. I use both a TA11 and a TA31 and I prefer them to any of the LPVOs I've owned. Of course, I don't shoot UKD across multiple football fields -- for that I have a 2-12x FFP with a christmas tree reticle.

Lowdown3
05-08-21, 03:24
Still my favorite optic. Got 3X30s on half dozen AKs, smaller number of M1As and a 4X on a BCM that recently developed a crack in the lens. Will likely replace that one with another 3X

matemike
05-08-21, 04:04
TA-31H user here. It was my first real glass on a real gun. I keep it on a ADM qr mount on my 16” carbine. Very usable and fast sight with both eyes open at close range (10-20 yards) And, the drop reticle is spot on for my set up with SS109 or M193 ammo out to 600 yards. Solid optic and it is not going anywhere for me. I considered selling and swapping to a LPVO a few years ago, but I’m of the mind set, if it ain’t broke, don’t break it.

If I ever build a new non SBR length rifle or carbine I will use a quality LPVO. But the 4x ACOG just works for me. I like it.

dmd08
05-08-21, 09:01

I have a BCO that I really like everything about except the eye relief that makes it practically unusable for me. I just can't get used to it. That and the fact I purchased it years ago when I was going through a 7.62x39 phase so its a x39 reticle. I'd sell it but no one wants a BCO let alone a x39 BCO.

SomeOtherGuy
05-08-21, 09:53
I have a BCO that I really like everything about except the eye relief that makes it practically unusable for me. I just can't get used to it. That and the fact I purchased it years ago when I was going through a 7.62x39 phase so its a x39 reticle. I'd sell it but no one wants a BCO let alone a x39 BCO.

I've owned and sold two BCO's (actually one BCO and one BTO). Great glass, nice concept.... and beyond that I was glad to sell each one. Even on an AR-15 I would get the optic bumping my glasses on each shot. It was tedious.

Still love the TA-11.

dmd08
05-08-21, 10:13
I've owned and sold two BCO's (actually one BCO and one BTO). Great glass, nice concept.... and beyond that I was glad to sell each one. Even on an AR-15 I would get the optic bumping my glasses on each shot. It was tedious.

Still love the TA-11.

The optic bumping the glasses.....exactly. I have mine on a Sig 556R. First I put down my purse and tried to control recoil better. Then I realized it didn't matter.

Tanner
05-08-21, 19:41
Have a TA-31 on one rifle..... no issues always hits the mark !

Send it...
05-08-21, 23:23
I have 3 ACOGs. I'm a fan. Stacked a lot of animals with acogs too. Just works.

Zane1844
05-09-21, 00:09
I liked the ACOG. Great glass, simple, durable. However, for me, the 1-10x Razor is better at everything except maybe FOV. I don’t notice fish eye and it feels like a red dot at 1x. I preferred the Elcan over the ACOG as well, the fixed 4x wasn’t my thing.

utahjeepr
05-09-21, 14:48
Still running 2. They are simple, effective, and reliable.

ccosby
05-09-21, 15:12
I have 3 ACOGs. I'm a fan. Stacked a lot of animals with acogs too. Just works.

Yea I have a few as well. Still one of my favorite optics.

officerX
05-09-21, 22:16
I only have one and it’s on an M16A4 clone.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210510/ba932397dc8a9fbd1b79cb10927ba7ac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

motor51
05-09-21, 22:41
I’ve had a few and gotten rid of them for various reasons. Wish I would have kept at least one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mysteryman
05-09-21, 23:53
Have 5 in use, simple, lightweight, and rugged. The TA33 3x30 series is the sweet spot. The TA31 4x32 series have awful eye relief, and is what most who trash on ACOG's mention. The TA33 and TA11 series have much better eye relief. For a near red dot experience the TA44 is fantastic.

RKB Armory
05-10-21, 09:46
We have received several into our shop recently. I'm continually surprised at how unused many of them are. We only buy ACOGs that are relatively new, so we can be sure that the Tritium is still pretty strong.

A really nice setup that we received recently is the TA11 with the RMR. It's a little tall, but having that really nice eye relief of the TA11, with the red dot quickly available is great. I was tempted to keep it for my personal use, rather than placing it for sale on the website.

After all the years the ACOG has been out, it still offers a fantastic size / weight / performance ratio that is hard to beat, in my opinion. I still use the one I've had for 14 years, but it's not on my primary rifle.

I would like to see one of the LED ACOGs.

Warp
05-11-21, 08:26
Sure am.

A TA44 green circle dot

Widest FOV of any ACOG model
Circle-Dot reticle
1.5x mag is low enough BAC works well
Brighter, clearer glass than any RDS or HWS
No battery
No electronics
No on, no off, no brightness adjustment, no magnification adjustment, no occular/diopter...it just just "is" and it just works
Super crisp etched reticle is a beauty to behold vs red dots for astigmatism eyes
Only weighs 8.1 ounces with QD mount
1.5x mag + crisp reticle + Trijicon's great glass = easier ID and discrete target shots at medium distance vs an RDS or HWS
Plenty of eye relief

What's not to like?

If you really want, you can offset an RMR (3 oz) and still have an RDS you can turn up for those dark + WML lighting situations where a blacked out etched reticle isn't as perfect, all for the same combined weight as a UH-1 or PRO or EOtech

MR_JOSHUA
05-12-21, 20:38
Still own an old TA01, it's a keeper

556Cliff
05-15-21, 08:40
I just bought another one from Euro Optics. A TA31F-G, it goes great with my TA31H-G that I bought back in 2010... I'd like to get at least 2 more before another 11 years goes by, but I need some Aimpoints too. ;)

I have zero issues with the (much complained about) short eye relief on the TA31 series of ACOGs.

sinister
05-15-21, 12:41
I've got way more rounds down range with ACOGs than from my Schmidt-Bender, Vortex, or March LPVOs.

prepare
05-15-21, 16:14
What do you do when the tritium dies?

GTF425
05-15-21, 16:38

Continue to use the fiber optic in the daytime and you continue to use your NODs and laser at night.

Warp
05-15-21, 18:27

Send it back for a refresh before that happens. You've got a decade or so until that comes up, probably.

JMRoscoe
05-15-21, 19:16
Still my favorite optic. Got 3X30s on half dozen AKs, smaller number of M1As and a 4X on a BCM that recently developed a crack in the lens. Will likely replace that one with another 3XThe 3x24 are also great for AKs. Love ACOGs and love they are US made.

If you're shopping for Trijicon Eurooptic is legit! Some of the cheapest prices around and that is before the 5% mil/leo discount. Quick shipping too and in stock is actually in stock.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

556Cliff
05-15-21, 22:05
The 3x24 are also great for AKs. Love ACOGs and love they are US made.

If you're shopping for Trijicon Eurooptic is legit! Some of the cheapest prices around and that is before the 5% mil/leo discount. Quick shipping too and in stock is actually in stock.

Shipping from Eurooptic was super fast too... I had my new ACOG in about 3 days after ordering it.

Warp
05-15-21, 22:10
+1 Eurooptic

Even got my last ACOG from them, specifically

JMRoscoe
05-15-21, 22:11
Shipping from Eurooptic was super fast too... I had my new ACOG in about 3 days after ordering it.Yeah I ordered at 6pm on a Monday, it shipped Tuesday in the morning, and got my ACOG by Wednesday. Super professional outfit.

MikhailBarracuda91
05-16-21, 07:28
I only have one and it’s on an M16A4 clone.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210510/ba932397dc8a9fbd1b79cb10927ba7ac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ProNice A4! I just installed a LT799 mount on my TA-31 last night, and almost put the scope far back into mount like you did. How are you liking the setup so far?

This was on my A4 clone as well

556Cliff
05-16-21, 08:34
Nice A4! I just installed a LT799 mount on my TA-31 last night, and almost put the scope far back into mount like you did. How are you liking the setup so far?

This was on my A4 clone as well

I was surprised looking at that picture actually... Just how in the heck would one shoot NTCH with the scope protruding that far over it?

And not even any room for a rear BUIS?

556Cliff
05-16-21, 08:38
Yeah I ordered at 6pm on a Monday, it shipped Tuesday in the morning, and got my ACOG by Wednesday. Super professional outfit.

I'll definitely be buying from them again. :happy:

MikhailBarracuda91
05-16-21, 08:53
I was surprised looking at that picture actually... Just how in the heck would one shoot NTCH with the scope protruding that far over it?

And not even any room for a rear BUIS?Well, with the scope in the mount like that, it could be the perfect solution for a buis behind it on an A2 stock.
I'm 5'10" and I find the LOP on the A2 stock just a bit to long with a buis behind the acog. But I don't really think it's necessary anyway since the acog is bombroof and doesn't require batteries.

556Cliff
05-16-21, 10:07
Well, with the scope in the mount like that, it could be the perfect solution for a buis behind it on an A2 stock.
I'm 5'10" and I find the LOP on the A2 stock just a bit to long with a buis behind the acog. But I don't really think it's necessary anyway since the acog is bombroof and doesn't require batteries.

I'm 6'2" and feel that the A2 is a bit too long (I prefer the A1 stock), but I can still manage to have the BUIS installed and shoot NTCH with the ACOG in a normal mount. And I agree on the ACOG being a very durable scope... I guess if you need irons you could always pop the ACOG off and put the carry handle back on, it's just a little less convenient.

MikhailBarracuda91
05-16-21, 11:29
I'm 6'2" and feel that the A2 is a bit too long (I prefer the A1 stock), but I can still manage to have the BUIS installed and shoot NTCH with the ACOG in a normal mount. And I agree on the ACOG being a very durable scope... I guess if you need irons you could always pop the ACOG off and put the carry handle back on, it's just a little less convenient.Agreed. I mean if your ACOG somehow failed you, that's what a sidearm is for. But if you have a QD mount like the Larue, you could just use the front sight only in a pinch at close range.

opngrnd
05-16-21, 15:10
Agreed. I mean if your ACOG somehow failed you, that's what a sidearm is for. But if you have a QD mount like the Larue, you could just use the front sight only in a pinch at close range.

Mount a flip up sight in front of it.

MikhailBarracuda91
05-16-21, 15:17
Mount a flip up sight in front of it.But then it wouldn't look like an A4 clone! Jk good point tho

05-16-21, 16:46
Why is there suddenly so much talk on the internet about putting rear sights forward?

556Cliff
05-16-21, 17:51
Why is there suddenly so much talk on the internet about putting rear sights forward?

I'm not sure?! Wouldn't that make you a blasphemer to commit an atrocity like that??? :nono:

MikhailBarracuda91
05-16-21, 17:57
I'm not sure?! Wouldn't that make you a blasphemer to commit an atrocity like that??? :nono:I'm sure Larry Vickers will make a new video telling us about it next week

556Cliff
05-16-21, 19:57
I'm sure Larry Vickers will make a new video telling us about it next week

Lol, that'll be fun to watch.