PDA

View Full Version : Mig Ally vid

WillBrink
05-08-21, 11:05
Great vid here. I learned something too: the Soviets secretly had their best pilots flying the N. Korean migs at times. I was not aware of that. The epic dog fight between a F-86 Sabre pilot and Mig flown by a Soviet pilot is right out of a movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOa32j0xqYM

duece71
05-08-21, 11:14
Yeah, great video and very informative. Seen it a couple of times.

WillBrink
05-08-21, 11:24
Yeah, great video and very informative. Seen it a couple of times.

Really the end of an era for up close and personal dogfight like that and another secret proxy war/testing ground between the us and the Soviets.

3 AE
05-08-21, 11:44
Really the end of an era for up close and personal dogfight like that and another secret proxy war/testing ground between the us and the Soviets.

That's for sure. The speed of the planes went up from say 350-400 knots in WWII to around 550-600 knots in these jets, but you still were using guns only. You had to really get in close to hit and be hit. A boxing match in the skies. The tactics weren't much different than those developed in WWI.

WillBrink
05-08-21, 12:08
That's for sure. The speed of the planes went up from say 350-400 knots in WWII to around 550-600 knots in these jets, but you still were using guns only. You had to really get in close to hit and be hit. A boxing match in the skies. The tactics weren't much different than those developed in WWI.

And the same armament! 6 50cals.

gaijin
05-08-21, 14:31
https://i.imgur.com/svTzmQp_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

My Maternal Uncle (RIP) was a Squadron leader in Korea flying F86’s.
On the rare occasion I could get him to speak of his service he did say it was common knowledge the Russians fielded pilots, using Korea as a proving grounds.

I saw some of his gun camera footage, it was sporty.

WillBrink
05-08-21, 14:45
https://i.imgur.com/svTzmQp_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

My Maternal Uncle (RIP) was a Squadron leader in Korea flying F86’s.
On the rare occasion I could get him to speak of his service he did say it was common knowledge the Russians fielded pilots, using Korea as a proving grounds.

I saw some of his gun camera footage, it was sporty.

The F86 was not gonna win any beauty contests, but pilots spoke highly of them from what I have read. Did he ever say anything about the plane?

gaijin
05-08-21, 15:11
He mentioned it could take a fair amount of abuse and stay in the air.

He also described flying along the Yalu River and seeing a “North Korean” airfield with Migs on the ground and no one scrambling to engage them. I forget what he said the kill ratio was for the US, but remember it was substantially in our favor.
As they shipped out, his Squadron all grew Handlebar mustaches (as best they could), with the agreement they’d all shave, have a beer and celebrate when they got home.
Uncle Bill wore his mustache all his life, as he was the only one from his squad that made it back.

Wish there were more like him still around.

WillBrink
05-08-21, 15:33
This one is good, but frustrating, as they had decided not to train for dog fighting, had a jet not well suited for the job, weapons systems that were 10% reliable, had their hands tied by the D heads in Washington, and still managed to kick a$$ and take names

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-I2mwMEd74

ABNAK
05-08-21, 18:02
That Robbie Risner was the shiznit! Loved watching that guy in the video. I thought I had heard his name before and realized it was because I had heard the story of him being captured later in Vietnam.

Tony617
05-08-21, 23:27
I was watching Mig Alley videos and wow these pilots were amazing. I didn’t realize that F86 Sabre had radar gun sights on later models. They had 6 .50 caliber machine guns that fired armor piercing incendiary rounds.

Honu
05-09-21, 05:30
when I was in HS I found a movie reel in my dads room one time with a bunch of his photo stuff
took it in to film class and was some of his gun/wing footage in Korea was really hard to make out old and rough footage but pretty cool stuff

he and my uncle (twins and both pilots together the whole time) took a lot of photos over there though has some cool stuff a lot of just fun daily life

https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=65716&d=1620553739

https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=65715&d=1620553348

https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=65726&d=1583916539

gaijin
05-09-21, 05:37
Great pics Honu.

Honu
05-09-21, 06:55
Great pics Honu.
Yeah he had some good stuff thanks :)
I recently scanned in all his old stuff so he could go through and see them again
My dad is still around just shy of 90 and drives a BMW M3 mostly and some other nice cars but he was always into cars still has that fighter pilot adrenalin thing going

Yeah that pic of your uncle was the classic to :) when you said gun camera I was like hahahahaah OH WOW I wonder how many got copies ? Maybe more than I thought :)
I know my dads as said was pretty rough to make out I was in HS then so think it was 1980 when I saw his

did your uncle end up staying in or did he go commercial after the war ? Seems so many went commercial both my uncle and dad did but he was in for a bit as instructor and did some test pilot stuff that has some insane/funny stories with that

I know my dad said what was fun back then as they could take their planes out and just fly etc... had good stories of stuff

gaijin
05-09-21, 10:47
Uncle Bill flew with Col. James Jabara in Korea. (Jabara was a stud)
Jabara lived in our town in his later years.

“Jabby” enlisted Uncle Bills Service in the Six Day War flying for the Israelis.
(Of course that was illegal, but something he believed was the “right thing”)

He moved to Central America, ultimately landing in Honduras. He trained pilots there, worked for the government and married his wife he met there.
He/they spoke Spanish or German at home, and wife Bessie learned English when they moved back to the States. (My sisters and I thought it funny that all the dogs and cats “spoke” Spanish too, none of them would respond to us if we spoke English)

3 AE
05-09-21, 11:11
Crew cut, G-Suit, black boots, flight suit, 1911 in leather US embossed shoulder holster, and no smile. THAT is so BADASS!

3 AE
05-09-21, 11:35
The F86 was not gonna win any beauty contests, but pilots spoke highly of them from what I have read. Did he ever say anything about the plane?

For me the F-86 was a just gorgeous. Small cross section fuselage, sweptback wings, excellent canopy vision, fast, and agile. It's a "beauty in the eyes of the beholder" kind of thing. I was able to sit in one 40 years ago at an Air Force museum outside Omaha. It was an outside display. Climbed up the ladder and got in, and thought My Lord this is a small cockpit. Those pilots must have literally worn this fighter into combat.

WillBrink
05-09-21, 15:39
For me the F-86 was a just gorgeous. Small cross section fuselage, sweptback wings, excellent canopy vision, fast, and agile. It's a "beauty in the eyes of the beholder" kind of thing. I was able to sit in one 40 years ago at an Air Force museum outside Omaha. It was an outside display. Climbed up the ladder and got in, and thought My Lord this is a small cockpit. Those pilots must have literally worn this fighter into combat.

To be sure. To me, looks functional enough vs say a modern day version of fast and agile, like the F16, which is a flying work of art.

Firefly
05-09-21, 16:36
Crew cut, G-Suit, black boots, flight suit, 1911 in leather US embossed shoulder holster, and no smile. THAT is so BADASS!

I must agree. The only thing more based would be a S&W Model 1917 with nudie grips.

I like these old pictures. B&W makes it seem like an eternity ago and the only social resonance is the show MASH which made it a mockery.

Sometimes, if you weren’t thinking about it, these could be people today or maybe 20 years ago now that everything is a mess.

I will never forget the first time We We Soldiers came out. I saw it with a person of that time frame (he is now long passed). I was younger and lamented how fake everything looked. I said it looked so artificial and chintsy and “too new”. I grew up on Platoon and such and thought things were naturally grimy and worn. He corrected me with his hoarse, but kind voice

“That’s what everything looked like. New. Clean. People went to war in starched uniforms and shined boots. And the hills were pretty and the sky was very blue.”

Just hearing that really was good for me.

Honu
05-09-21, 17:34
Very cool :)

Not really related I lived in Honduras for a year back in the 90s doing some work :) but freaking beautiful country its so sad its crime is out of control the regular folks are proud and very good people again the bad ones like here are just bad :)

Funny about the dogs :)

Uncle Bill flew with Col. James Jabara in Korea. (Jabara was a stud)
Jabara lived in our town in his later years.

“Jabby” enlisted Uncle Bills Service in the Six Day War flying for the Israelis.
(Of course that was illegal, but something he believed was the “right thing”)

He moved to Central America, ultimately landing in Honduras. He trained pilots there, worked for the government and married his wife he met there.
He/they spoke Spanish or German at home, and wife Bessie learned English when they moved back to the States. (My sisters and I thought it funny that all the dogs and cats “spoke” Spanish too, none of them would respond to us if we spoke English)

Honu
05-09-21, 17:51
hahahah yeah I do love that shot

I must agree. The only thing more based would be a S&W Model 1917 with nudie grips.

I like these old pictures. B&W makes it seem like an eternity ago and the only social resonance is the show MASH which made it a mockery.

one of his buddies not sure what exact gun that is do not know the revolvers that well ? but close as I can get hope this brings ya a smile :)

https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=65733&d=1620600559

closer up view
https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=65734&d=1620601214

Firefly
05-09-21, 18:11
Honu, looks like a Model 36 or 37.

Very cool picture. Like the Great Santini

gaijin
05-10-21, 06:34
Grip frame/stocks looks more like COLT. The Dude is ready; 18 rds of 158 gr LRN as back up.

Great pic!

chuckman
05-10-21, 07:15
https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=65715&d=1620553348

The Mark 1 Mod 0 Prototypical fighter pilot. That is a bad-ass picture!

FlyAndFight
05-17-21, 13:59
Priceless photos, Honu. Thanks for sharing!

ABNAK
05-17-21, 17:46
Yeah those color pics don't seem like 70 years ago. What's that country song? "You Should've Seen It In Color".