PDA

View Full Version : Noob whos done some research bet would like a simple answer!

RE4
12-07-08, 22:58
I just bought my first AR15- its a MP15x. I would like to start upgrading it ( I love having the ability to mod things!). One thing I would like to look into is the buffer system. If I understand correctly, all carbines have the same pressures in their gas tube systems. However, some employ the H2 buffer while mine employs the standard weight. what effects would I feel by upgrading to an H2?

Less recoil? more short cycling? If the latter is correct then why do other companies use the H2 if the effect will cause an ill effect??

I would like more comfort during shooting and knowing that the upgrade is giving my rifle longer life.

Thanks

bkb0000
12-07-08, 23:12
the H2 is actually two steps up from a carbine buffer.. the H buffer is the next step up. Carbine, H, H2, H3, H4, and I've heard legends of even heavier ones.

This shouldn't be your first upgrade. in fact, I'd stick with the carbine buffer altogether. I run carbine buffers in all my carbines, and full-auto BCGs- which would be the first upgrade i'd recommend. The extra weight will smooth you out pretty good. if you still feel like it's cycling too hard, THEN throw an H in there. H2s are for suppressed guns or guns with other issues.

RE4
12-07-08, 23:18
Sorry your right I meant to say h-buffer. But again what would the user feel by going from a carbine weight to h buffer with upgraded spring? Fron the FAQ's:
"A heavier buffer can increase lock time (see "M16 bolt carrier" above) which reduces wear and tear on parts and increases reliability in carbines. The heavier buffer can also decrease felt recoil. "

I just want to know if anyone just upgraded and what were the difference that they felt- Thats what I like to know!

bkb0000
12-07-08, 23:33
Sorry your right I meant to say h-buffer. But again what would the user feel by going from a carbine weight to h buffer with upgraded spring? Less recoil? Thats what I like to know!

you might feel less recoil, but depending on your gun and your loads you might also suffer some malfunction. short stroking, feeding issues, bolt failing to engage, etc. or maybe you'll just feel less recoil and have no problems. your load is going to be the biggest factor. commercial .223 loads aren't hot enough to trust with heavy components, in my opinion.

but you can play around with it. an H buffer, if you can find one right now, will run you 20-35 bucks. Get it, shoot the shit out of it, and log notes. but i'd put the carbine buffer back in there between test runs, just in case.

SwatDawg15
12-10-08, 10:18
Ive been running a H-Buffer in my M&P for over 1200 rounds now with zero issues. Ive shot x193, m862, lots of other stuff including 40 rds of wolf.

I also added the BCM extractor/o-ring upgrade. the rifle runs nice and smooth with those too additions.

RE4
12-10-08, 10:24
Ive been running a H-Buffer in my M&P for over 1200 rounds now with zero issues. Ive shot x193, m862, lots of other stuff including 40 rds of wolf.

I also added the BCM extractor/o-ring upgrade. the rifle runs nice and smooth with those too additions.

How the recoil? Is it easier to maintain a scope on a target after firing with the heavier buffer?

Iraq Ninja
12-10-08, 14:18
More comfort during shooting?

It is a 5.56 rifle. If it is uncomfortable to shoot, then you need to work on something besides buffers. What makes it uncomfortable?

May I ask, with all due respect, how many rounds you have shot through this rifle? You say this is your first AR, so I assume you are not familiar with the system, and possibly not familiar with shooting. Sounds like you rifle is not even broken in yet and you want to change it up. Put some serious rounds down range... get to know your rifle as it is... and then tinker with it. You need a reference point to compare to. Or do as suggested and get the other buffer and try.

spamsammich
12-10-08, 14:28
If it ain't broke, don't "upgrade" it. Don't get into a hurry to throw money at these things. If your gun doesn't have cycling issues, leave it alone and shoot the shit out of it. I agree, if 5.56 is hurting you, find another way to satisfy your hatred of paper targets.

bluepythons
12-10-08, 14:32
RE4,

First of, welcome, I am new as well and as I sure you know there is tons of info here. My recommendation as is to anyone with their first AR is set a side atleast $350-400, more if you got it, for your first upgrades. Take that money and buy as much quality ammo as you can along with high quality mags, USGI or Pmags. That should be your first upgrade, period. Go shoot, as much as you can, better yet take a class. Learn what your gun is like before you start changing it up. You may find it runs perfect out of the box and does not need any tinkering. Eventually you can add a red dot, lights, VFG, and all of the bells you want. My first advice though is to master iron sights and break in your new gun so you trust it.

Remember, have fun but be safe!
Take care,
Dave

teufeldog
12-10-08, 14:35
@RE4:

I'd suggest shooting it as is. It is a nice rifle and I see no reason to be messing with it. Use the funds to buy ammo and have fun. :D

sewvacman
12-10-08, 15:58
I have an LMT with only about 250rds. through it. The last 200 have been with an H buffer and a F/A BCG. I've shot some xm193 and a lot of wolf .223 with no issues. That said the thing doesn't really kick to begin and I don't notice a huge felt recoil difference, but I think I'm faster with follow up shots....maybe. Of course just shooting it more will do that.
I personally would buy mags, ammo, optics or put the money towards training. Not necessarily in that order.

TimBob
12-10-08, 19:48
With a new AR you should only be worried about mags and ammo right now, once you put about 1000 rounds through it you'll have a better idea of what the gun really needs. Make sure you pick up a LuLa as well, makes loading those mags a breeze.

furyfighter20
01-25-09, 19:23
im also new to this site and AR style rifles i purchased a s&w vtac (flattop stock), they had no flip up iron in stock. so i bought a e0tech 51.1 and 2k rounds of wolf and 1k hornady tap. i really at this point dont see the need to modifie anymore till i know and can shot accuratly with my AR (not straight range, but scnerio or traning courses) but thats just me.