PDA

View Full Version : Best method to install extractor springs???

556Cliff
05-10-21, 09:29
Of course I've read the tech manual and it says to push down while turning clockwise... I have no problem with the pushing down part, but the turning clockwise part is a bit of an impossibility with such a small spring. So what's the secret to get them to snap down in and not be crooked looking and actually be seated straight? Since just pushing down on the spring alone never really seems to do it, I've thought about using needle nose pliers to actually be able to grab on to the spring to be able to turn it while pushing down, though I have a feeling I'd probably just end up slipping off and loosing and/or damaging the spring in the prosses.

Needless to say, any helpful tips or tricks would be appreciated.

phixion
05-10-21, 09:57
I usually just sit the spring in the bolt, sit the extractor on top of it, and press down enough to reinstall the extractor pin. Remove extractor again to verify.

That usually provides enough force to reinstall the spring in the extractor. The toughest part is getting and keeping everything lined up.

05-10-21, 11:34
I usually just sit the spring in the bolt, sit the extractor on top of it, and press down enough to reinstall the extractor pin. Remove extractor again to verify.

That usually provides enough force to reinstall the spring in the extractor. The toughest part is getting and keeping everything lined up.
This is also what I do. If it won’t snap on like that, check that a piece of the old spring hasn’t broken off and stayed in the extractor.

One of the coolest things about the LMT superbolt is how they drop right in.

titsonritz
05-10-21, 19:58
Same here and flick the o-ring in the garbage.

lysander
05-10-21, 20:31
Of course I've read the tech manual and it says to push down while turning clockwise... I have no problem with the pushing down part, but the turning clockwise part is a bit of an impossibility with such a small spring. So what's the secret to get them to snap down in and not be crooked looking and actually be seated straight? Since just pushing down on the spring alone never really seems to do it, I've thought about using needle nose pliers to actually be able to grab on to the spring to be able to turn it while pushing down, though I have a feeling I'd probably just end up slipping off and loosing and/or damaging the spring in the prosses.

Needless to say, any helpful tips or tricks would be appreciated.
I just push down with my thumb and turn it slightly while pushing.

556Cliff
05-11-21, 08:50
Same here and flick the o-ring in the garbage.

Yep, the O-rings are absolutely useless... Especially when I only use the Colt copper colored extractor springs.

556Cliff
05-11-21, 09:00
I just push down with my thumb and turn it slightly while pushing.

Unfortunately my thumbs are not manly enough to do that. Though I wonder if using one of those big pink erasers would work for this? Seems like they might offer enough grip to give it the twist listed in the manual.

Also, I seem to remember Iraqgunz mentioning using a modified pair of needle nose pliers for the extractor spring, but I'm not sure what was modified?

lysander
05-11-21, 19:14
Unfortunately my thumbs are not manly enough to do that. Though I wonder if using one of those big pink erasers would work for this? Seems like they might offer enough grip to give it the twist listed in the manual.

Also, I seem to remember Iraqgunz mentioning using a modified pair of needle nose pliers for the extractor spring, but I'm not sure what was modified?

A piece of wood would work I suppose.

If I were to modify some pliers, I would cut a 0.125 hole across the jaws so you cam compress the bottom coil to 0.125 (the size of the hole in the extractor) then push down with something firm.

Clint
05-11-21, 19:39
This works really nicely.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31o5e0uuv7L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

556Cliff
05-11-21, 22:50
I tried using my Knipex parallel jaw pliers to just push straight down on the spring today and I did get the spring to seat... Not sure I liked how it felt though. I expected more of a clicking into place type of feeling, but it was more of a slow "gushy" finally gave in sort of feeling.

I don't think I damaged the spring though and I actually oiled the large end of the spring so it would pop down in easier.

BTW, I also tried using an eraser but it was too soft.

mark5pt56
05-12-21, 06:42
I normally set the spring on a bench block, etc base up and take the extractor and press down, keeping the pressure straight down so the spring doesn't kink. It always "snaps" in. It does help to have clearance for your fingers, so place the spring towards the edge.

prepare
05-12-21, 06:58
SOTAR method at the 6 minute mark.

https://youtu.be/dPzKt97Tjfg?t=383

556Cliff
05-12-21, 08:25
SOTAR method at the 6 minute mark.

https://youtu.be/dPzKt97Tjfg?t=383

Well, that made it look all too simple... Looks like I just need to go buy myself some pointy pliers.
Something like these. > https://www.automation24.com/needle-nose-pliers-knipex-tools-31-11-160?gclid=CjwKCAjw-e2EBhAhEiwAJI5jg_HYj3MO88P-rKhdBaN_t7Ucm3smmlc-SgtuUocpxu1Um6XKV9U_BhoC1Z4QAvD_BwE

prepare
05-12-21, 08:45
There are no doubt various methods used. The goal is not to damage the spring.

Sparky5019
05-25-21, 08:25
This works really nicely.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31o5e0uuv7L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

This. Lol. I use a pair of bent needle nose pliers very gently compress until it pops into place. No issues.

556Cliff
05-26-21, 17:21
Well, I ordered the fancy pointy Knipex needle nose pliers that I linked, but I ordered them from Zoro tools instead... So I guess I'll see how it goes with those.

BluntForceTrauma
05-18-22, 12:42
I normally set the spring on a bench block, etc base up and take the extractor and press down, keeping the pressure straight down so the spring doesn't kink. It always "snaps" in. It does help to have clearance for your fingers, so place the spring towards the edge.

THIS for the win. Got 542 bolts to do and this is heaven-sent. Thank you, man.

markm
05-18-22, 13:01
Fudge me!:fie:

utahjeepr
05-19-22, 18:43
Thumb method for me. Now if I was doing it all day long...?

As for IG, I took Will's class. Watched him use thumb, Glock push tool, and I seem to recall a set of needle nose that were ground down at the tip so there was a tiny nubbin on the tip with a bit of a shoulder. He showed them to us, ...and then used his thumb (?). Make of that what you will.

mark5pt56
05-20-22, 05:40
If doing a bunch, use a push tool-anything flat.

Entryteam
05-27-22, 07:32
Well, that made it look all too simple... Looks like I just need to go buy myself some pointy pliers.
Something like these. > https://www.automation24.com/needle-nose-pliers-knipex-tools-31-11-160?gclid=CjwKCAjw-e2EBhAhEiwAJI5jg_HYj3MO88P-rKhdBaN_t7Ucm3smmlc-SgtuUocpxu1Um6XKV9U_BhoC1Z4QAvD_BwE

Hemostats?

556Cliff
05-27-22, 07:47
Hemostats?

I considered hemostats, but they all had serrated jaws and I was looking for something with smooth jaws so as to not scratch things up.

The pliers in the link didn't work out in the end though as they still weren't small enough at the tip to fit inside of the spring.

I'm going to try the roll pin holder punch from the other thread when I go to install extractor springs again.

curious1
05-28-22, 11:13
I just twist them in the direction of the top coil wire end points and push down at the same time. The bottom coil can get smaller instead of bigger from the twisting. The bottom of the spring pocket has like a 3 degree cant so the seated spring may never look completely perpendicular.

Andrewsky
05-29-22, 19:54
I use a small flat blade screwdriver and just put it down. Nothing fancy.