PDA

View Full Version : ACOG 3x for one size fits all optic?

FLGator
12-08-08, 07:24
I'm new to ARs having picked up a 6920 just before the panic. I'm now looking to outfit with an optic. I plan to start some carbine courses after the new year but I would like an optic good for most purposes, not just CQB. I thought that the 3x would be a good compromise. I would also like to keep the standard front site if possible. Hopefully I can "train through" any problems with the magnified optic. If they ever become available again I hope to pick up a Noveske Recce some time next year and possibly move the 3x ACOG over in favor of a 1.5x on the carbine.
So...
ACOG 3x red chevron. TA33R8.
Talk me out of it.
Thanks.

A few of my reasons for not choosing other optics.
Eotech - short battery life.
Aimpoint - I read an article "Optics in the Sand" on M4 optics function in Iraq. It went over ACOG, Aimpoint, Eotech, and MARS. The author indicated that the Aimpoints he saw seemed to be the worse for wear with adjustment knobs knocked off, etc. Also, the extra moving part of the swing mount to add magnification makes me a little nervous.
Short Dot - Just too damn expensive.

I'm sure I'll get some objections to those arguments but that's what I'm looking for since I don't have first hand experience.

caporider
12-08-08, 10:12
I think you're making a good choice in the TA33 for an all-around optic. It is not as fast as an Aimpoint close in, and it is not as precise as a standard magnified scope at a distance. However, it will get you from 3-300 yards in a very competent manner.

The lit chevron is very easy to pick out under normal lighting conditions and makes aiming much easier for quick shots than a traditional unlit reticle. You really have to try it to see how much better a daylight-visible lit reticle works. The reticle seems small when you're looking at stuff on your walls or whatever, but when you shift to target focus the reticle works fine and is quite visible/legible (even the BDC ladder). If you are shooting in a dark area with a brightly lit target (e.g. from shadows to sunlight, or from a dark room to a target lit with a strong light) the chevron may go black instead of being lit, but it will still be visible. Of course, there are situations where the reticle simply will not work (shooting from shadows into bright light, target is wearing all black), but these situations are at the margin for most shooters.

Minimum focus distance is about 3 yards, and with some training the BAC is (IMHO) easier on the 3x than the 4x ACOGs. You can put a BC cap on the objective end of the TA33 and use it as an OEG, provided you train to compensate for the offset.

Most important for a fighting carbine (again IMHO), the TA33 is far more forgiving of head position than the 4x ACOGs. Even shooting with your head completely off the stock (some prone positions require this) you can pick up the reticle and the target, albeit not as clearly as through a RDS. Any standard cheek weld will present a very clear picture of the target and reticle.

The Achilles heel of the TA33 is FOV. If you need a wide FOV for scanning (e.g. when hunting), target transitions, or leading movers, the TA33 is not the best choice. The importance of this issue hinges on what kind of shooting you normally do.

The TA11 is also much more forgiving of head position than the 4x ACOGs and has a wider FOV than the TA33, but the TA11 is larger, heavier, and more expensive than the TA33.

I'd get a Larue mount for your TA33, and you will not see your FSB if you are target focused.

Good luck!

Damascus
12-08-08, 19:09
+1. You're already ahead of the game by choosing a top-notch optic for your weapon. Everyone has their preferences and opinions... I personally like the 4x TA01NSN ACOG, but I mainly shoot 100+ yards... I would use the TA33 IF I were mounting it to a small, lightweight weapon that I needed precision shots at close ranges... Otherwise, I would opt for the 3.5x TA11 as the best "do-it-all" optic for a general battle rifle. Yes it's bigger, heavier, and more expensive, but the bigger/heavier part probably makes it more durable, and as far as expensive - you get what you pay for; more F.O.V. and a larger objective, this giving you better clarity and low-light performance.
If the new horseshoe reticle was available in the TA11's right now, I'd be selling stuff to get one!

ghideon
12-08-08, 22:32
Just got both my TA11F and my Aimpoint CompML3 sighted in today. The TA11F is awesome, excellent glass. I chose the TA11 because of the longer eye relief. I have a shooting buddy who has the TA01NSN, one of these days we'll have to trade to see how much better FoV and eye relief the TA11s have.