PDA

View Full Version : BOTACH .... yet again

Stickman
05-13-21, 14:45
Just a quick heads up for people who still shop at Botach. I should have learned my lesson around 10 years ago when Botach held onto money for an order for over a year. Their answer was that out of everything I ordered, one item was backordered and would be in soon. After getting jerked around for so long, I got refunds in portions, and while I don't recall all the details, I know I swore them off. There were a couple guys on this board who went to church / temple with them, and stood up for Botach last series of complaints, but in the end the guys couldn't really explain or give excuses that made sense.

About a year ago I saw some outerwear that was on clearance, and had a friend of a friend who didn't have warm clothing, next thing you know I'm ordering from Botach again. The golden rule in getting orders is evidently don't backorder anything, otherwise you will get jerked around. I tried to stick with that rule, and a few orders went by without issue. Ahile back I started noticing that prices would change while surfing around online. Check out one item, and at the bottom there are several other items that are similar. Some of those items would have great prices, but when you actually click on them the price changes to a much higher price. At first I thought I was misreading things, then I thought perhaps it was just certain sizes that were on sale, but neither of those were the problem. The problem was that the price was changing after you clicked on the link. If you went back to recheck, the price was the same high price and no longer listed as the low price. I ended up taking screen shots to make sure I was seeing things correctly.

Recently I made an order for small stuff, and shipping was free. Not a big deal to get free shipping on small stuff, especially as it seems their shipping prices were very high in general, and more than once I had deleted my cart due to what I felt was an obviously excessive shipping fee. Fast forward, and now I get an email the day or two after my order telling me my order is ready for pickup. Pickup? I distinctly recall checking the box saying that I was getting the order delivered to the same residence as the billing address.

I won't tell people to boycott a business, especially in a case like this where Botach already has a horrific reputation and I should have known better. I will tell people to check that items are in stock, and to check, and double check they are paying the price they thought they were, THIS INCLUDES SHIPPING FEES.

Last but most certainly not least, in the litigious society we live in, I'll end by saying my above experiences and opinions are my own. Yours may be different, and I welcome anyone else with good or bad stories to share them.

georgeib
05-13-21, 15:09
I had noticed the same thing as you regarding prices changing when I clicked on the link, and went through a similar thought process as to why. However, it turns out there is a glitch on their site that causes this. Whatever item you're looking at seems to transfer it's price to the items shown below it until you refresh. Weird, I know, and it took me a few times before I realized what was happening.

As to all their other shenanigans? Well, they're last on my list for the same reasons as you.

ETA: Just checked their site, and the price transposition no longer seems to be happening. Maybe they fixed it?

Tanner
05-13-21, 16:23
Dealt with them roughly 2 years ago, less than satisfactory experience, first and last purchase.

Arik
05-13-21, 16:38
Good to know. I buy from them occasionally. In fact they had some cheap Glock mags not long ago. Never had a problem but I don't buy backordered stuff....ever.....from anyone.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Stickman
05-13-21, 17:07
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input.

Straight Shooter
05-13-21, 17:08
I have heard & believed these stories for years now...but Ive ordered well over a dozen times from them and dont recall ever having a problem...I may have had to wait once a little while longer than quoted, but it wasnt bad.
I cant understand why some have not one..but several issues time & again, whilst others have none. I appreciate this warning. I will at least make sure Im ordering in stock items from now on.

JediGuy
05-13-21, 18:37
I have no reason to discount any negative experiences, but in ordering 3-4 times, I’ve gotten both steal deals and the purchased items.

Pappabear
05-13-21, 18:55
Its shocking how they continue their worst practices and yet thrive. I think I bought a couple of Warne mounts from them and I got lucky, but I checked to see if items were in stock and shipping immediately. Best practices is to shop elsewhere but if they have something you really want, make sure it says in stock.

In this litigious society, I will say, THEY SUCK DIRTY BALLSACKS!

PB

Vegas
05-13-21, 23:42
I actually ordered from them one time and it went well. The difference, possibly, was that I purchased through their eBay account. I figured eBay/PayPal protections would handle any BS that might come up.

titsonritz
05-14-21, 04:07
:haha: That is all.

The_War_Wagon
05-14-21, 06:59
I thought the movie put them OUT of business?

bad aim
05-14-21, 07:40
I've ordered from them a few times, both pre-move and post-move. Definitely order from their Ebay store if you can, as what's been mentioned above, the Ebay/Paypal protection they offer is great if things go sideways.

Even before their move, I would still order items only if they were for sure in stock--I've also heard about the horror stories about items that weren't. No problems on my end. Only reason I shop a bit less nowadays is that they no longer offer free shipping and are charging sales tax now, so whatever savings I could get isn't that great anymore compared to other outstanding vendors (a few years back, they were offering 30rd Surefeeds for $10 with free shipping and no tax).

Dukr
05-14-21, 09:35
I've never had a problem with them, maybe a dozen orders over the years. Mostly Okay magazines, but also some tools and a backpack. I only buy in-stock items. Use to be nicer when their shipping was free.

Arik
05-14-21, 11:08
What I learned from them is don't order clothing or footwear unless you know for sure it will fit. They charge return shipping.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Stickman
05-14-21, 11:12
I hadn’t even thought about the eBay angle, I wish I would have.

Stickman
05-14-21, 11:18
Its shocking how they continue their worst practices and yet thrive. I think I bought a couple of Warne mounts from them and I got lucky, but I checked to see if items were in stock and shipping immediately. Best practices is to shop elsewhere but if they have something you really want, make sure it says in stock.

In this litigious society, I will say, THEY SUCK DIRTY BALLSACKS!

PB

Agreed on all accounts good sir.

Without stating the name, the last time I mentioned this company and shared my experiences, I had a rather large client/ Mfg reach out and tell me that it would be good of me to remove my comments because they did a lot of business through them. While I no longer do anything with the Mfg, I’m not interested in naming them so please don’t bother to ask. I don’t know if it was a manufacturers prerogative that came down from owners, I don’t know if Botach made a complaint to the Mfg about my comment, and I don’t know if it was just a jerky higher up in the Mfg company that decided to tell me. Regardless of what the reason, I don’t post things unless I believe them to be legit and honest.

JMRoscoe
05-26-21, 19:03
I picked up a discounted magpul sling but it never arrived. The package never reached my mail room. I reached out to Botach and they were of no help. Then they tried to contest the charge back I put in. I still won but I was amazed at how petty they are.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Twilk73
05-26-21, 22:00
I got a what I thought was a heck of a deal on a optic from them. The deal ended up being better elsewhere so I contacted them because they will do price matching according to their sight. The item didn't even ship yet and I told them I wanted to cancel if they wouldn't meet the price. They contacted me and said he would talk to a supervisor about price matching for me and made it sound like it would be all good. Well they ended up never contacting me back about it and then several a week had past and still no contact. Oh and at the time they where not taking phone calls because of covid-19. I sent them several emails and they never got back to me after about four weeks they shipped me the optic. I gave up and swore then off. They literal just stopped talking to me, you couldn't contact them any other way either. Nope not Weber going to do business with them again. Don't care if it's cheaper. I also try to stay away from optics planet because in stock doesn't really mean in stock.

JMRoscoe
05-27-21, 14:50
I got a what I thought was a heck of a deal on a optic from them. The deal ended up being better elsewhere so I contacted them because they will do price matching according to their sight. The item didn't even ship yet and I told them I wanted to cancel if they wouldn't meet the price. They contacted me and said he would talk to a supervisor about price matching for me and made it sound like it would be all good. Well they ended up never contacting me back about it and then several a week had past and still no contact. Oh and at the time they where not taking phone calls because of covid-19. I sent them several emails and they never got back to me after about four weeks they shipped me the optic. I gave up and swore then off. They literal just stopped talking to me, you couldn't contact them any other way either. Nope not Weber going to do business with them again. Don't care if it's cheaper. I also try to stay away from optics planet because in stock doesn't really mean in stock.Euro Optic > opticsplanet

georgeib
05-27-21, 17:58
Euro Optic > opticsplanet

EVERYONE ELSE > OpticsPanet > Botach

3 AE
05-27-21, 21:45
EVERYONE ELSE > OpticsPanet > Botach

How true! LOL I ordered a S.O.Tech Viper IFAK on Amazon two months ago. I didn't pay attention to who the vendor was when payment was made. A week later I checked on tracking status and low and behold it was OpticsPlanet. Shit, I proceeded to get drunk and go into a full bore linear ninja helicopter mode, cursing myself for being stupid. Another week passes and I check tracking and find out it's been delivered to a door step in some town in Michigan. I live in Wyoming. Somehow I got my IFAK a week later. On Amazon it shows it lost and asks if I want a refund! Sometimes you just gotta laugh and be happy you got what you ordered. It makes you really appreciate the Good to Go vendors who hardly ever screw up.

ETA: Just realized I've reached my 2000th post. Drinks on me for all members. Just log on to your OpticsPlanet, Botach, etc. account and use coupon code "Remember Me?"! :alcoholic:

Twilk73
05-27-21, 23:50
Euro Optic > opticsplanet

Euro optics is near me. Great guys, great business.

Stickman
05-30-21, 10:52
I picked up a discounted magpul sling but it never arrived. The package never reached my mail room. I reached out to Botach and they were of no help. Then they tried to contest the charge back I put in. I still won but I was amazed at how petty they are.

I'm still waiting for my refund from them on this latest. Their answer is "a couple days" for it to go through the system.

yoni
05-30-21, 12:55
They are scum!

I had an issue with them once, multiple calls no joy.

I tried one last time and the person that answered was someone I could really talk to. Problem was solved and I got my stuff.

But they are not the way I would run a business.

Dutch110
06-07-21, 13:04
Not discounting anyone's bad experiences but I have had nothing but good experiences with Optics Planet and Dvor (their sister site.) Pay attention to their inventory status and make sure to clink on the URL that says "check inventory" before adding to your cart and checking out. Their UI is definitely not the most clear when it comes to this and I suspect a lot of folks who have had bad experiences were led astray by this. Having worked in ecomm for over a decade at one point in my career I tend to notice stuff like this. Most recently I ordered a barrel for a build off of Dvor. I noticed the link in the confirmation email led to the product page of a different variation of the barrel which I bought. I called them and after looking at it the CS rep said yep, we screwed up the product catalog. They had the barrel I wanted in inventory over on Optics Planet (but not at the discounted price.) They cancelled my Dvor order, gave me an even bigger discount on the one they had in stock on Optics Planet and gave me free shipping. BOTACH, however, can eat a bag of richards. Ordered a holster from them over a decade ago. I'll let you know if it ever shows up.