PDA

View Full Version : Obama: Gun owners do not need to stock up

variablebinary
12-08-08, 08:44
For some reason I dont feel reassured. I have no doubt someone told him about the volume of gun sales since he has been elected, so he is trying to do some spin/damage control so slow the tide.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/obama/1318968,obama-gun-sales-up-120808.article

Obama: Gun owners do not need to stock up
Recommend (8) Comments

December 8, 2008

BY ABDON M. PALLASCH Political Reporter
As gun sales shoot up around the country, President-elect Barack Obama said Sunday that gun-owning Americans do not need to rush out and stock up before he is sworn in next month.
"I believe in common-sense gun safety laws, and I believe in the second amendment," Obama said at a news conference. "Lawful gun owners have nothing to fear. I said that throughout the campaign. I haven't indicated anything different during the transition. I think people can take me at my word."

But National Rifle Association spokesman Andrew Arulanandam said it's not Obama's words — but his legislative track record — that has gun-buyers flocking to the stores.

"Prior to his campaign for president, his record as a state legislator and as a U.S. Senator shows he voted for the most stringent forms of gun control, the most Draconian legislation, gun bans, ammunition bans and even an increase in federal excise taxes up to 500 percent for every gun and firearm sold," Arulanandam said.

Obama answered "yes" in 1996 to a questionnaire from an Illinois group on whether he supported a handgun ban. But he later said a staffer filled out that answer and he did not support a ban.

Nationally, background checks for gun purchases jumped nearly 49 percent during the week Obama was elected, compared with the same time period last year, according to the FBI's National Instant Background Check System.

Anecdotally, gun dealers around the country have reported spikes in sales. The Illinois State Rifle Association Reports gun sales for November were 38 percent higher than last year.

"We don't dispute [the gun sales hike] because the numbers from the federal system certainly confirm that there is increased activity out there. We just think it's a bit stupid," said Peter Hamm, spokesman for the Brady Campaign against Gun Violence.

"Anyone who thinks they need to rush out and buy a firearm clearly has not been paying attention to how quickly we make progress on this issue. We don't think these are first-time buyers. We think they are people who already have more than enough guns at their homes to protect themselves and are buying more."

Gunrider
12-08-08, 09:02
"lawful gun owners have nothing to fear"
except him passing laws that make our guns Illegal -- MAKING us into criminals (as done here in California. Nothing like that feeling in your chest that you don't know whether your gun is legal "enough"

Safetyhit
12-08-08, 09:44
Obama appears to have centered himself on a variety of issues recently, including firearms. Hopefully he is seeing the light and not just pandering, but caution is certainly warranted...

Iraqgunz
12-08-08, 09:45
Yeah I for one believe him. And I really like the piece from the Brady Bunch.
"We think they are people who already have more than enough guns at their homes to protect themselves and are buying more."

Thankfully we live in America, the land of choice and I could a shit less what he thinks. I don't think anyone needs a Ferrari or a Lamborghini, but it's all about choice.

markm
12-08-08, 09:53
He believes in "common sense" gun laws.

I.E. ASSAULT WEAPONS BAN! :rolleyes:

30 cal slut
12-08-08, 09:56
Obama said Sunday that gun-owning Americans do not need to rush out and stock up before he is sworn in next month.

Yeah. And I won't cum in your mouth either.

LOKNLOD
12-08-08, 10:07
Obama appears to have centered himself on a variety of issues recently, including firearms. Hopefully he is seeing the light and not just pandering, but caution is certainly warranted...

Hopefully so. For all the talk of "change" he's picked a cabinet full of DC vets, and is now back peddling on many of his more radical ideas. I don't think he's a moderate by any means, but I do think this guy is a sharp politician, that's for sure. I think he pandered openly to the extreme left in this election because he knew that the middle of the country was so tired of the Bush admin that he'd pull many of their votes no matter what he said.

Hopefully now that he's played the left to help boost him into office, he'll try and stay mainstream and avoid the hot-button issues like gun control. I think he understands that if he tries to play with any of his pet issues before he's "fixed the economy" that will be viewed negatively by the voting public. He wants 8 years, not just 4...

joffe
12-08-08, 10:41
He's just helping everyone out by telling them not to spend money on something his BATFE goons will go 'round to steal next year. I mean, there's a recession and all. He doesn't want people to spend money on future scrap metal.

Change We Need indeed.

TY44934
12-08-08, 11:05
Look at his record and THEN decide:

“Even if I want to take them [your guns] away, I don’t have the votes in Congress,’’ he said.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2008/09/05/obama-im-not-going-to-take-your-guns-away/

As for "common sense safety laws," is this what he is talking about? And, do you believe this is simply a "common sense safety law" ?

http://ammunitionaccountability.org/Legislation.htm

As for "taxing something out of existence" he said:

"If somebody wants to build a coal power plant they can, it's just that it will bankrupt them because they are going to be charged a huge sum for all that greenhouse gas that's being emitted," Barack Obama said to the San Francisco Chronicle in January. Sunday, comments resurfaced from a taped interview Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama did with the San Francisco Chronicle in January. In the interview, which has been available online for months, Obama talks about the importance of coal. He went on to talk about his cap and trade proposal to help curb global warming."

If he believes it is within the power of his government to bankrupt power plants, why would he not pursue a similar approach to ammunition or firearms through the current excise tax?

BH1
12-08-08, 11:25
Hmmm, so on one hand we need to stimulate the economy - so much so that the govt gave out money to promote just that - but don't go out and buy things. Confused yet? I wonder how much objection there would be to people who wanted to buy a couple exrtra Ford trucks they don't really need right about now?

Iraqgunz
12-08-08, 11:32
Does anyone know how much spent brass is going for right now? I have about 10K rounds.

He's just helping everyone out by telling them not to spend money on something his BATFE goons will go 'round to steal next year. I mean, there's a recession and all. He doesn't want people to spend money on future scrap metal.

Change We Need indeed.

Safetyhit
12-08-08, 12:03

This is not really the type of garbage response I would expect to see here. There are much better ways to make your point.

IMHO, of course.

SeriousStudent
12-08-08, 12:09
Does anyone know how much spent brass is going for right now? I have about 10K rounds.

There is a website called AmmoBrassTrader.com that has some data regarding brass prices. TOS and sometimes GlockTalk (I know, I know - just hold your nose) have pretty good data on on prices in their reloading forums. ReloadersAuction.com is another place to look.

What kind of brass is it? Mixed .223 and 5.56? Would you be shipping it from your current location or from CONUS?

I'll be glad to help if I can. Plus I would probably like to buy some of it as well.

Iraqgunz
12-08-08, 12:24
Let me clarify. I have 10K rounds right now. There will be 10K empty casings if there is a "round up".

There is a website called AmmoBrassTrader.com that has some data regarding brass prices. TOS and sometimes GlockTalk (I know, I know - just hold your nose) have pretty good data on on prices in their reloading forums. ReloadersAuction.com is another place to look.

What kind of brass is it? Mixed .223 and 5.56? Would you be shipping it from your current location or from CONUS?

I'll be glad to help if I can. Plus I would probably like to buy some of it as well.

markm
12-08-08, 12:38

It's got to be down. I sold some for $1.60 per pound several months ago. But copper prices have dropped to half of that since then.

The Sherrif's office range sold 4 huge barrels of brass for $1.90 per pound before I sold mine.

I keep all good 5.56 brass for reloading. But after 3 loads, I scrap it. It takes long enough to get enough brass to make worthwhile weight, that the market will probably have recovered by the time I have over a hundred pounds of it again.

Thank God for the drop too. People were actually PAYING $0.10 per piece of once fired 5.56 brass. I hope the end of that nonsense is here. The thought of having to buy brass to reload is not acceptable to me. I'd rather buy ammo and shoot it to get brass.

Remember911
12-08-08, 13:08
Now that is some funny sh-------:cool:

7.62NATO
12-08-08, 13:23
Let me clarify. I have 10K rounds right now. There will be 10K empty casings if there is a "round up".

I have a few k that'll make our forefathers proud if anyone removes our god-given rights.

7.62NATO
12-08-08, 13:23
This is not really the type of garbage response I would expect to see here. There are much better ways to make your point.

IMHO, of course.

+1...

warpigM-4
12-08-08, 13:32

I am there with you . i got your six:D

citizensoldier16
12-08-08, 13:33
"We don't dispute [the gun sales hike] because the numbers from the federal system certainly confirm that there is increased activity out there. We just think it's a bit stupid," said Peter Hamm, spokesman for the Brady Campaign against Gun Violence.

The fact that the "federal system" reported higher "numbers" of gun sales indicates that these sales are to law-abiding citizens! Peter Hamm should realize that illegal gun sales don't go through the "federal system" to which he alludes. But then again, he's a gun hating liberal...so common sense is somewhat lacking I suppose. These are the facts that the Left tries to gloss over.

markm
12-08-08, 13:35
I am there with you . i got your six:D

Hey! Barrak says everything is cool. It'll be his second term before the confiscations start! :eek:

Ed L.
12-08-08, 14:27
Yeah I for one believe him. And I really like the piece from the Brady Bunch.
"We think they are people who already have more than enough guns at their homes to protect themselves and are buying more."

This is contradictory because the Brady bunch don't believe that you should be allowed to own any firearms suitable to protect yourself or to be kept in a condition ready to protect yourself.

CarlosDJackal
12-08-08, 14:52
As gun sales shoot up around the country, President-elect Barack Obama said Sunday that gun-owning Americans do not need to rush out and stock up before he is sworn in next month. "Because it will save my minions the trouble of having to hunt them down later", said Obama.

"I believe in very restrictive gun laws, and I do not believe in the second amendment," Obama said at a news conference. "Lawful gun owners should fear me. I said that throughout the campaign. I haven't indicated anything different during the transition. I think people can take me at my word."

There, I fixed it. :D

skyugo
12-08-08, 22:14

The fact that the "federal system" reported higher "numbers" of gun sales indicates that these sales are to law-abiding citizens! Peter Hamm should realize that illegal gun sales don't go through the "federal system" to which he alludes. But then again, he's a gun hating liberal...so common sense is somewhat lacking I suppose. These are the facts that the Left tries to gloss over.

i like that he called me stupid. that really makes me want to support his cause. :rolleyes:

Fidalgoman
12-09-08, 02:03

I think it was Will Rogers that said politics is saying Nice Doggie while looking for a rock. That pretty much sums it up for me.

I see a little light at the end of the tunnel when I see how people are buying so much we have shortages of guns and ammunition in the stores "because people aren't worried" about our next President. May I suggest you also get some training while you're stocking up.

infidel
12-09-08, 09:04
"I believe in common-sense gun safety laws, and I believe in the second amendment," Obama said at a news conference. "Lawful gun owners have nothing to fear. I said that throughout the campaign. I haven't indicated anything different during the transition. I think people can take me at my word."

I think the old Southern expression applies here ...don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining. Take Obama at his word, yeah, right. We'd better be taking him at his past actions instead, because they tell a much different story about his real agenda.

Gunrider
12-09-08, 09:15
For those he think he's going "centrist" Hussein's already said, in speeches and on his website, that "common sense gun laws" include:

banning all "concealable weapons" ie., handguns
1000 % increase on Federal excise tax on ammo
one gun a month
PERMANENT ban on "military style" weapons

Since these bans would leave a few hunting weapons (for now) they would NOT violate Heller.

"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban as soon as I take office. Within 90 days, we will go back after kitchen table dealers, and work to end the gun show and internet sales loopholes. In the first year, I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."

--Barack Obama, VPC Fund Raiser, 2007 Click HERE for the ONE Obama Concealed Carry Exception, and get grandfathered before the new bans!

Buckaroo
12-09-08, 09:23
For those he think he's going "centrist" Hussein's already said, in speeches and on his website, that "common sense gun laws" include:

banning all "concealable weapons" ie., handguns
1000 % increase on Federal excise tax on ammo
one gun a month
PERMANENT ban on "military style" weapons

Since these bans would leave a few hunting weapons (for now) they would NOT violate Heller.

"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban as soon as I take office. Within 90 days, we will go back after kitchen table dealers, and work to end the gun show and internet sales loopholes. In the first year, I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."

--Barack Obama, VPC Fund Raiser, 2007 Click HERE for the ONE Obama Concealed Carry Exception, and get grandfathered before the new bans!

Can you provide a link to document this quote? I'd like to verify if before I share it with some friends.

Thanks

Buckaroo

Willz
12-09-08, 13:38
Obama and the Clintons and all their comrades ( which BHO is putting on his team)believe the Constitution is a "living" document, subject to "change" as society changes.

This is the most dangerous kind of political brainwashing and indoctrination known to free men.
They believe your rights are granted to you by the government therefore subject to "change" or revocation by the government.

The truth is the founders of this country and drafters of the Constitution held dearly to the fact that the Bill of Rights PROTECTS your inalienable rights, your GOD GIVEN RIGHTS.

These rights are unchanging.

The rights that all men are endowed with.

There is a breakdown and perversion of the Spirit of the Constitution by the very government and politicians that have sworn to UPHOLD that very same Constitution.

warpigM-4
12-09-08, 14:00
Hey! Barrak says everything is cool. It'll be his second term before the confiscations start! :eek:
NOOOOOOO not a second term"the Horror-the horror":eek: well at least i will have time to stock up on ammo

boltcatch
12-09-08, 14:04

Centered my ass. He's been saying different things to different audiences all along. This latest simply helps the media in their efforts to portray firearm owners as fools, rednecks, etc.

woofe
12-09-08, 16:09
Yeah, right.

Did you know, I am the TZAR of Russia!!!!::mad:

Honu
12-09-08, 17:24
I am doing what obama wants me to and spreading the wealth :)

to bad I am stupid for doing so and buying more ammo

I must be sick cause amazingly all this stupid spreading the wealth thing and buying more ammo and guns is making me happy ????

ToddG
12-09-08, 17:35
According to ATF, there were over 1.5 million (edited: ) NICS checks for firearms purchases through FFLs in November ... an all time record.

Think of the hundreds of millions of dollars that gun owners poured into the economy. In fact, given the huge run on EBRs (and their relative expense), I wouldn't be surprised if November came close to $1B in gun sales in the U.S.

And that doesn't include ammo, accessories, or any non-FFL (private transfer) sales.

I think someone else already said it, but seriously, he should threaten to ban SUVs. Could get Detroit out of the red in just a couple of weeks. :cool:

dbrowne1
12-09-08, 18:41

Did you even read the Heller opinion? It specifically applies to handguns and says they're constitutionally protected.

I'm no fan of Obama or what he'd "like" to do, but banning handguns ain't gonna happen.

Willz
12-09-08, 18:59
Did you even read the Heller opinion? It specifically applies to handguns and says they're constitutionally protected.

I'm no fan of Obama or what he'd "like" to do, but banning handguns ain't gonna happen.

More important than the handgun portion of Heller is the fact that for the first time ever SCOTUS actually took a position on the Second Amendment as a protection of the right of the INDIVIDUAL.
Not the collective right so many scholars and politicians and media type use to try to pervert the Spirit of the Second Amendment.

ghideon
12-09-08, 19:22
More important than the handgun portion of Heller is the fact that for the first time ever SCOTUS actually took a position on the Second Amendment as a protection of the right of the INDIVIDUAL.
Not the collective right so many scholars and politicians and media type use to try to pervert the Spirit of the Second Amendment.

Right. The actual contention was whether or not the laws DC had put in place were a reasonable restriction on the 2A. This is where we had a split vote in the SC.

dtheman
12-09-08, 21:55
This is a little off topic, but the politicians are getting internet savvy and learning a few new tricks. Some of these election websites that those running for office are putting up determine where you are connecting from, and then route you to a website that states the said politician supports views that the pollsters found out your area supports. The first example I've heard of this being used is by Tim Mahoney in Martin County, Florida. Residents would get the site with Conservative Southern views, while out of state donors from say San Fransisco would get the ultra liberal Tim Mahoney.

Moral of the story is to never take any of these scumbags at face value, ALWAYS REVIEW VOTING RECORDS BEFORE YOU VOTE AND NEVER USE SOROS BACKED SITES LIKE FACTCHECK.ORG

Bat Guano
12-10-08, 20:25
Sorry--but that old "Trust Me" routine just doesn't get it anymore. I cast my first presidential ballot for LBJ back in 1964 and less than a year later I got my "greetings". Nothing since has inclined me to trust anyone who doesn't have as much to lose as I do.

And that's X10 for politicians.