PDA

View Full Version : My de-MIMd Warrior

QuietShootr
11-14-06, 18:12
Parts list:
Ed Brown Tactical safety
Brown Hardcore firing pin and stop
Wilson Bullet Proof stainless slide stop, hammer, and A-2 sear(3.24# trigger done on my shiny new Power Custom bench jig....018 hammer hooks with a >50% engagement even with a perfect 45 degree breakaway angle)
Brown disconnector
Wilson Ultralight trigger
Wilson stainless bar-stock plunger tube
Wilson stainless barrel bushing
Brown magazine catch

Coyote Brown DuraCoat done by Jason Elmore at Elmore's Gun Shop.

http://sniper.rsvs.net/Warrior1Small.JPG

http://sniper.rsvs.net/Warrior2Small.JPG

Before you haters start in - this was a used but unfired pistol I picked up for under 900 dollars, and I did all the work myself.

LukeMacGillie
11-14-06, 21:41
Looking Good Bro,

What was the total cost of the parts?

I might have to send my warrior back to Indiana to get that package done.

QuietShootr
11-15-06, 05:33
Looking Good Bro,

What was the total cost of the parts?

I might have to send my warrior back to Indiana to get that package done.

Oh...you're looking at about $250-300 or so, IIRC.

DBautista
11-15-06, 20:38
Nice... Very Nice...

I hate you.

bullitt5172
11-16-06, 09:34
Very nice, but put some decent grips on it ;) That needs some black gunnars...

QuietShootr
11-16-06, 16:48
I hate you.

Now THAT'S a large group of folks, indeed.

:D

QuietShootr
11-16-06, 16:53
Very nice, but put some decent grips on it ;) That needs some black gunnars...

I confess...I prefer the Hogues to Gunners and everything else. I shoot better and faster with them. -5 cool points, I know, but I'll make them up on the range:D

bullitt5172
11-16-06, 16:58
I confess...I prefer the Hogues to Gunners and everything else. I shoot better and faster with them. -5 cool points, I know, but I'll make them up on the range:D

Just razzin you, they are comfortable. Make it -4, they kinda go with the overall package :p

SuicideHz
11-17-06, 16:46
Exactly which parts replaced the MIM? All of the ones you listed? A MIM barrel bushing? I'm not calling you out, I just don't know. I want to get rid of my SW1911 and pick up a Kimber and I'd like to replace the MIM myself as well...

QuietShootr
11-17-06, 21:04
Exactly which parts replaced the MIM? All of the ones you listed? A MIM barrel bushing? I'm not calling you out, I just don't know. I want to get rid of my SW1911 and pick up a Kimber and I'd like to replace the MIM myself as well...

All the parts I listed with the possible exception of the firing pin and barrel bushing were MIM.

SuicideHz
11-18-06, 01:21
Thanks. I was really wondering about the bushing- seeing how it had to be machined to a great extent to begin with- not much point in Mold Injection and then doing all of that machining...

Dave Berryhill
11-18-06, 14:47
That turned out very nice Generic. Does the Warrior have the Series II firing pin safety?

I'm pretty sure that Kimbers use a MIM barrel bushing. I know the earlier ones did.

VA_Dinger
11-18-06, 14:50
Does the Warrior have the Series II firing pin safety?

No, they are series I.

Dave Berryhill
11-18-06, 18:42
No, they are series I.

Hey SuicideHz - Who's your daddy??!!

Milkman
11-18-06, 19:35
Hey SuicideHz - Who's your daddy??!!

That question seems to come up a lot. :D

SuicideHz
11-19-06, 00:59
Hey now! Dave- It's "Hoosier Daddy" not "Who's your daddy..."

Dave Berryhill
11-19-06, 10:06
...It's "Hoosier Daddy" not "Who's your daddy..."
I wouldn't claim it with that football record :p ...........he he he......Fight On! A-roo, A-roo!

Sorry for the interruption. We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

SuicideHz
11-19-06, 12:13
What record? The Colts? 8-0, right? I'm just outside of Chicago so I root for the Bears even though they are 7-1... :(

Dave Berryhill
11-19-06, 15:20
No, I meant the Indiana University Hoosiers. They're not exactly a "football powerhouse." Never mind, it was a bad joke.

QuietShootr
01-20-07, 21:35
I got tired of the slop in the barrel fit, and fitted up a new Bar-Sto barrel over the Christmas break.

http://sniper.rsvs.net/Warrior barrel.jpg

I encountered some problems with the SS Wilson Bulletproof slide stop, so I fit a carbon Bulletproof stop, and the problems went away. I also added a set of Gunner Grips.

http://sniper.rsvs.net/Warrior dirty.jpg

340 rounds fired today on steels. Life is good.

http://sniper.rsvs.net/1911-01.jpg

My LMT/Colt shorty and a friend's 16" with the Warrior down on the range.

http://sniper.rsvs.net/SBR and Warrior.jpg

That makes about 490 rounds without a hitch since all the refitting. About another K or so and this may be my new EDC.

9x19
01-20-07, 21:47
I really like the look of your pistol, and I'm not a 1911 fan. They just don't fit my hand well. But that is very sharp!:cool:

SuicideHz
01-20-07, 22:29
Wow, this thread is back!

Time to update the records of the Bears and Colts! Both of them are playin for the NFC/AFC championships respectively tomorrow.

Wouldn't it be neat to see two teams 3 hours away from one another play in the superbowl?

QuietShootr
01-21-07, 08:25
Only thing is, I don't give a **** about football...

John Fettes
01-22-07, 22:10
My LMT/Colt shorty and a friend's 16" with the Warrior down on the range.

http://sniper.rsvs.net/SBR and Warrior.jpg

How do you like the Magpul stock(s)?

Thanks,

John

rhino
01-23-07, 13:32
I encountered some problems with the SS Wilson Bulletproof slide stop, so I fit a carbon Bulletproof stop, and the problems went away.

Hey, QS:

What problems did the S/S Wilson part cause? How was the plain carbon steel part different?

QuietShootr
01-23-07, 18:07
The tab on the inside of the SS Bulletproof stops is, for some reason, VERY oversized. I don't mind doing a certain amount of fitting but that was a little much. If you were to compare the carbon to the stainless you could see an obvious difference.

The problem was the typical ball profile round tapping the inside of the stop and knocking it up into engagement. As I said, the part was so oversized that after much Dykem and filing I finally decided to call it quits once I had a good carbon one to compare it to.

I sent Wilson an email about it, so we'll see how it turns out.

QuietShootr
01-23-07, 18:09
How do you like the Magpul stock(s)?

Thanks,

John

It's very well made, as are all Magpul products I've had experience with. Truthfully, I prefer a Vltor - the buttplate is longer and I like the cheekweld better.

rhino
01-23-07, 22:07
The tab on the inside of the SS Bulletproof stops is, for some reason, VERY oversized. I don't mind doing a certain amount of fitting but that was a little much. If you were to compare the carbon to the stainless you could see an obvious difference.

That's what I was expecting to hear, as it seems to be a problem with a lot of slide stops over the last few years (especially those they use in Kimbers). I'll bet the contractors who make them are making them oversized in that area so they'll work with most 9mm and .38 super guns, and some .45s as well (it's all about tolerances, as we all know).

I was hoping it was just the contractor(s) who are doing th MIM slide stops, but from what you said, apparently it's happening with at least some of the higher end, machined steel parts now too.

macman37
02-01-07, 21:08
This holds great interest for me.

I am thinking of doing something just like this, only probably having a local 'smith do it for me.

Great looking gun!

QuietShootr
02-02-07, 16:34
Update...Wilson is kind of being dicks about replacing the stops. They told me I had to return them to Brownells, and if Brownells thought there was an issue then THEY would return them to Wilson.

OK... Ed Brown or 10-8 parts from here on out. No problem.

QuietShootr
02-17-07, 15:50
Just an update - Wilson won't replace the stops because I 'filed on them'.

Well, no shit.

**** 'em...no more Wilson parts for me. Except the magazines, that is.

M4arc
02-23-07, 07:13
QuietShootr - I love the Warrior and have thought about getting one several times. I'm not sure I'd need to replace all the MIM parts because my 25th Anniversary Kimber had them and nothing broke in 5000+ rounds but if I did, how much "fitting" would need to be done? I'm wondering if I'd have to send it off to someone.

QuietShootr
02-23-07, 17:00
Well, the truth of the matter is that almost everything on a 1911 requires some fitting to a greater or lesser degree. The only factory parts left on my Warrior are the frame, slide, sights, and grip safety. Everything else, including magazine catch and grip screws and bushings, is new.

Barrels are a pain in the ass to fit, and doing it right is more an art than a science. I don't have it mastered by any means. I had two people physically looking over my shoulder when I did mine, one a degreed gunsmith and the other a self-taught smith of over 30 years experience. I wouldn't have taken it on without that kind of support, not to mention the tools, that these guys had for me to use.

The hammer and sear fitting were done on a Power Custom bench jig, and I ruined two sears before getting the technique figured out. I had a 10x micro-comparator to examine the bearing surfaces, so I could see every little mistake I made, in addition to being able to see when I finally got it right.

Now, if this were strictly a project gun, I would probably have been less leery of trying some of the things I did...but I don't have the kind of money to just buy a gun to hack on. This is a carry gun, and I wanted to have absolute 100% confidence in it. I almost lost that confidence several times in the process and nearly shipped it off in a box to someone who does this shit for a living. In the end, I'm glad I didn't...but one or two more things gone wrong and I would have HAD to do it just for my peace of mind with the gun. I wouldn't be able to carry it if I felt like something in it was ******rigged.

All this is a roundabout way of saying that working on a 1911 is a whole 'nother animal from building an AR. I thought because I'm a pretty damn good hand with ARs (My friend Luke MacGillie is currently at Blackwater pounding on one that I built, with good results) that I could handle working on a 1911. Er...nope. Not the same thing at all. If you don't have the tools, and someone very experienced who actually KNOWS what they're doing (as opposed to Elmer the local gunsmiff) to help you over the rough spots, I don't think I'd recommend doing a major overhaul like this yourself.

YMMV, of course.

LukeMacGillie
02-23-07, 21:10
The brown gun did real well, The wind played hell with shots past about 250. At night the deffective OTAL that I got from some vendor around here made it so easy that it really wasnt fun, its just a death ray. NOTE: Deffective in the fact that I have to wear NOD's to see the dot:cool:

Also I found out that Mk18's without suppressors will play havoc with both PVS-7s and 14's both the shooters and the guys to the left and right of them:D

Also I had some issues with the PEQ, on the 10.5 without a suppressor. I had to on 2 occasions turn it off and back on for some reason, as it just "Locked Up" and would no longer work.

I now return you to your De-mimd Kimber discussion.

QuietShootr
02-24-07, 10:06
The brown gun did real well, The wind played hell with shots past about 250. At night the deffective OTAL that I got from some vendor around here made it so easy that it really wasnt fun, its just a death ray. NOTE: Deffective in the fact that I have to wear NOD's to see the dot:cool:

Also I found out that Mk18's without suppressors will play havoc with both PVS-7s and 14's both the shooters and the guys to the left and right of them:D

Also I had some issues with the PEQ, on the 10.5 without a suppressor. I had to on 2 occasions turn it off and back on for some reason, as it just "Locked Up" and would no longer work.

I now return you to your De-mimd Kimber discussion.

That's interesting about the PEQ. Must be blast-related, like all the other things you're listing above. This would be an ideal place for a KX3, were das erlaubt. Oh well...