PDA

View Full Version : Cartel straw buyer busted buying M249s !!!

utahjeepr
05-18-21, 17:05
Damn, I know these had to be the semi 249s but still, yikes. Yeah, I know they got their share of full on military hardware. I'm kinda suprised how brazen this was though. You'd almost expect Eric Holder to be involved.

https://www.fox13now.com/news/local-news/utah-woman-sentenced-for-selling-weapons-to-mexican-drug-cartel

ABNAK
05-18-21, 18:04
While I'm not familiar with the semi 249, is it possible to convert one to FA? They usually make those things so that it is damn near impossible to convert.

* I don't have ANY experience with the 249 period, as the M60 was the "SAW" when I was in (see sigline).

Rogue556
05-18-21, 18:40
Selling weapons to cartels and all they can throw at her is a 52 months in prison? God help me if I ever skipped paying taxes, I'd be in for life.

utahjeepr
05-18-21, 18:56
While I'm not familiar with the semi 249, is it possible to convert one to FA? They usually make those things so that it is damn near impossible to convert.

* I don't have ANY experience with the 249 period, as the M60 was the "SAW" when I was in (see sigline).

Curious about this myself. I was plenty familiar with the 249 years ago, but I can't guess what changes they made for semi only. I'm gonna assume it ain't just the fire control assembly. I'd imagine they made bolt and receiver changes as well. Interested to know out of mild curiosity.

Johnny Rico
05-18-21, 19:28
You can get a semi-auto M249s? Learn something new every day.

The fact that some of my fellow Americans can buy a semi-auto M249 makes me smile. :) Next time there is a 2A rally I hope to see one of the demonstrators with one. Should make the antis wet their panties.

Renegade
05-18-21, 19:36
7 M249s for $7-$8K?

I cannot even find one for sale.

Johnny Rico
05-18-21, 19:39
7 M249s for $7-$8K?

Google search indicates Arms Unlimited has them in stock.

Renegade
05-18-21, 19:43
Google search indicates Arms Unlimited has them in stock.

That is a Post Sample. I was looking for this one:

https://fnamerica.com/rifles/fn-m249s-series/?utm_source=meganav_by-series

Johnny Rico
05-18-21, 19:48
I need a Para.

SteyrAUG
05-18-21, 19:56
7 M249s for $7-$8K?

Cartels bought them all.

Kinda funny that they are dropping that much coin on a semi belt fed that nobody will know how to convert and won't have access to the full auto parts even if they did. Only thing they would be good for is an pretty accurate long range platform if they had the right optics.

I think they are mostly for show along with other dumbass guns like gold deagles.

utahjeepr
05-18-21, 19:58
One on GB! In case you got too much money on your hands. So would the 249S be a SS/AW?

P2Vaircrewman
05-18-21, 21:02
I handled one at the NRA meeting a few years ago, the price tag is as heavy as the gun.

pinzgauer
05-19-21, 00:34
$8k each at local mega gun store a while backk

markm
05-19-21, 14:16
A Semi 249 makes ZERO sense. Even the cool factor would wear off in an hour or so of the first day owning it.

Bulletdog
05-19-21, 14:39
They didn't just go ahead and sell it to them at the insistence of our .gov? When did fast and furious end? :haha:

WillBrink
05-19-21, 14:42
They were trying to buy a mini gun at one point too, and I tend to think like drugs, each "bust" probably represents a fraction of what gets through, so I would not be least bit surprised to hear about the Mexican LE or mil, such as it is, getting hosed down by mini guns and SAWs in the future.

WillBrink
05-19-21, 14:44
A Semi 249 makes ZERO sense. Even the cool factor would wear off in an hour or so of the first day owning it.

Buy as semi, convert to full? I don't know the details of doing such a thing, but first thing that came to mind.

utahjeepr
05-19-21, 15:06
Buy as semi, convert to full? I don't know the details of doing such a thing, but first thing that came to mind.

I've never seen a 249S. In guessing it's not built to make it easy but I don't know. Also don't know where one would get parts. But anything is possible. I once asked a machinist if he could make a replacement part for me for a piece of construction equipment. He said "somebody made that one" like it was just a stupid question. So there's that.

Converting an AR is simple as can be. The only hard part is the jail time. ;) This thing I just don't know.

El Pistolero
05-19-21, 16:27
Note to self: don’t buy multiple SAWs from the same dealer or he will blue falcon you.

ABNAK
05-19-21, 18:19
I've never seen a 249S. In guessing it's not built to make it easy but I don't know. Also don't know where one would get parts. But anything is possible. I once asked a machinist if he could make a replacement part for me for a piece of construction equipment. He said "somebody made that one" like it was just a stupid question. So there's that.

Converting an AR is simple as can be. The only hard part is the jail time. ;) This thing I just don't know.

Well for starters I'm sure the semi one fires from a closed bolt. That would be one significant difference.

JoshNC
05-19-21, 18:37
The 249s can be converted to FA with some milling work and certain FA parts.