PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fiber Lowers??

stratton
12-08-08, 11:59
I see these carbon fiber lowers on GunBroker, are they any good? Would they be worth buying for my first build? Or should I go with a standard metal lower?

Dave L.
12-08-08, 12:02
The company I work for has some BM Carbon lowers with Full Auto. Most run pretty well, but I have heard of bad quality ones released on the civilian market.
IMHO, I would stick with an aluminum lower from a reputable company.

markm
12-08-08, 12:09
are they any good?

I wouldn't take one for free. I had a chance to dig into one of these turds that my brother in law bought. It was the biggest piece of shit I've ever seen.

Dave L.
12-08-08, 12:29
I wouldn't take one for free. I had a chance to dig into one of these turds that my brother in law bought. It was the biggest piece of shit I've ever seen.

Did you take great joy in telling him your opinion? :eek:

markm
12-08-08, 12:33
Did you take great joy in telling him your opinion? :eek:

No. It's hard to tell someone who knows everything that he just bought a piece of shit. He figured it out on his own and sent it back to his brother who sold it to him. He ended up buying a Colt build off of me for a good price.

He's since purchased a couple of DPMS guns. Oh well. I won't tell people my opinion if they don't ask.

Ridge_Runner_5
12-08-08, 18:10
Is it Carbon Fiber or just an overlay? Think about how easily carbon fiber car hoods break and splinter...I wouldnt make a .22 out of one...

junkxp
12-09-08, 01:10
Is it Carbon Fiber or just an overlay? Think about how easily carbon fiber car hoods break and splinter...I wouldnt make a .22 out of one...

Your thinking of layed up carbon. This is more of a polymer often used in the rc hobby.

PIC (http://weaponvideos.org/files/photos/6512bd43d9caa6eL.jpg)

Spikes-Rep
12-09-08, 02:23

I have to agree with you there. I wouldnt use one on anything more than a 22LR.

markm
12-09-08, 08:18
I have to agree with you there. I wouldnt use one on anything more than a 22LR.

I'd still just buy a 10/22. I'll never forget when I tried inserting a mag into the gun I was working on. The mag blew right past the mag catch. :eek: Whoa! I guess you can't just go inserting mag like you would on a real gun. :rolleyes:

TY44934
12-10-08, 12:04
No. It's hard to tell someone who knows everything that he just bought a piece of shit. He figured it out on his own and sent it back to his brother who sold it to him. He ended up buying a Colt build off of me for a good price.

He's since purchased a couple of DPMS guns. Oh well. I won't tell people my opinion if they don't ask.

Strong opinions, there. You seem to say: "DPMS and anything not Colt is total shit." You are entitled to that opinion though.

As far as these "carbon" lowers go, markm is correct to the extent that there are bad ones out there; a company called "Hesse" and later "vulcan" made a lot of these; I even own (I hate to admit) a plastic upper (not lower) they made, which was thrown into a trade some years back. I have no doubt that its simply cheap plastic and I assure you that it is far outside of spec (barrel had to be shimmed to make it work).

Few would argue that Hesse made anything but crap.

On the other hand, our friend at Cav Arms have really supported the shooting sports, specifically, 3 gun and they also made an unusual "polymer" lower with a built in butt stock. You can still buy these from Armalite. While they are not to my liking, these lowers do work and many guys have built light-weight guns for their wives and children using such lowers.

Moreover, Bushmaster also makes a lower that might just have some "carbon" content. They back up their product with a warranty and will fix anything wrong with it. They have made these for many years. Again, not my cup of tea, but serviceable.

I would agree with markm to the extent that for similar money, you can buy an aluminum lower that does everything a "carbon" lower will do and it weighs not much more. So, there are few of us who see the need for polymer lowers in most cases.

Alaskapopo
12-10-08, 23:15
Strong opinions, there. You seem to say: "DPMS and anything not Colt is total shit." You are entitled to that opinion though.

As far as these "carbon" lowers go, markm is correct to the extent that there are bad ones out there; a company called "Hesse" and later "vulcan" made a lot of these; I even own (I hate to admit) a plastic upper (not lower) they made, which was thrown into a trade some years back. I have no doubt that its simply cheap plastic and I assure you that it is far outside of spec (barrel had to be shimmed to make it work).

Few would argue that Hesse made anything but crap.

On the other hand, our friend at Cav Arms have really supported the shooting sports, specifically, 3 gun and they also made an unusual "polymer" lower with a built in butt stock. You can still buy these from Armalite. While they are not to my liking, these lowers do work and many guys have built light-weight guns for their wives and children using such lowers.

Moreover, Bushmaster also makes a lower that might just have some "carbon" content. They back up their product with a warranty and will fix anything wrong with it. They have made these for many years. Again, not my cup of tea, but serviceable.

I would agree with markm to the extent that for similar money, you can buy an aluminum lower that does everything a "carbon" lower will do and it weighs not much more. So, there are few of us who see the need for polymer lowers in most cases.

I love shooting USPSA Three gun but frankly I could give a crap about who supports our sport when it comes to buying a gun or parts. I want quality. DPMS makes crap. Every department I have worked for has had issues with their DPMS M4's. As the armorer I have had to fix what I could and send the rest out. Also the best warranty is the one you don't have to use.
Pat

toasterlocker
12-12-08, 19:57
I love shooting USPSA Three gun but frankly I could give a crap about who supports our sport when it comes to buying a gun or parts. I want quality.

Cav Arms actually has a great rep. I've never heard a single complaint about their polymer lowers. I have a couple lowers on order, I can't wait to try em out myself.

ramrod
12-21-08, 11:17
Will they pass through a metal detector?

AirmanAtwood
12-21-08, 12:59
Will they pass through a metal detector?

ummm the lpk would be metal, so you tell me