PDA

View Full Version : Out of Spec Sun Devil?

bkb0000
12-08-08, 17:02
I've got a stripped sun devil billet upper that doesn't want to take a charging handle. the receiver rails read .4185 while all my charging handles are all .4830 at the nub. why mott the hoople?

C4IGrant
12-09-08, 10:10
I've got a stripped sun devil billet upper that doesn't want to take a charging handle. the receiver rails read .4185 while all my charging handles are all .4830 at the nub. why mott the hoople?

Have you contacted SD yet about this?

C4

bkb0000
12-09-08, 13:31
Have you contacted SD yet about this?

C4

indeed, they haven't called me back yet. i don't hold that against anyone right now, though. a message on an answering machine is a needle in a haystack.

the dealer i got it from email me this morning and said she talked to Ownerguy David who said the caliper info i emailed her is nominal. he said i'm welcome to send it back and have them take a look. i'll call again today.

spring1271
12-09-08, 13:46
i had a Sun Devil that was out of spec at the bolt catch. It did take me about a week to get a hold of them. But when i did they had me send the old one back confirmed my measurements and had a new one to me , all this took about two weeks. I found there customer service to be excellent! As a side note i have 6 Sun Devils 3 of which I purchased since this happened and i will buy more. I am sure they are swamped with the O'Panic going on. But thats another issue.

bkb0000
12-18-08, 19:17
Sent the upper back to sun devil. David called me a couple days later to tell me his DPMS charging handle slipped right in, no problems. He said he's been seeing a lot of jacked up charging handles, and recommends DPMS. I asked him to send his with the upper, he said he would. UPS says they'll be here tomorrow.

I tried three different charging handles, two of which were pulled from other, functional weapons, and they all pinched off above the lugs an wouldn't budge. I guess I should have tried more. Lame to have wasted both our time- I guess the lesson learned is that billet uppers are tight, and some components aren't going to mix well. Which I've heard before.

David seemed like a good guy, and the conversation was pleasant and un-rushed, even though I know he's busy as hades. I'll buy another set from him someday soon, to make up for it. I'll just make sure to get a scrawny charging handle for it.

jchtrh
12-20-08, 03:31
Dave is pretty swamped right now...I have 4 Sun Devil lowers and I too will also buy more in the future. I have 3 messages in and still waiting for call, this is unusual for them. In the past...prior to the Opanic, I would spend half an hour talking to him.

I have also had some out of whack charging handles... I believe from High standard. Frustrating to say the least.