PDA

View Full Version : Carbine vs. mid length

speedfreak955
11-14-06, 18:28
I am building a Sun devil lower and want a lightweight upper. I was hoping to ask if there is really an advantage in reliability and wear to a mid length gas system...
I was planning on a carbine length m4 profile....
Thanks
Speedfreak955

Robb Jensen
11-14-06, 18:31
Less extraction trouble, less port erosion and somewhat softer recoil in a middy.

mark5pt56
11-14-06, 18:33
To me the big advantage is the rail space. I don't use a vertical grip and the extra rail allows me to mount the lights and still have space for my hand without cramping it up.
Other things are longer sight radius if using irons and the lessened recoil spike.

The lightweight 14.5 middy from cmmg might be a nice package for you.

speedfreak955
11-14-06, 18:45
I already have a rra mid length and was hoping the carbine would be as reliable but lighter...
I was looking at a stag upper m4 profile...
Is this going to give problems or is it more of a wear issue...
Recoil is the least of my concerns...

mark5pt56
11-14-06, 19:11
If you like the carbine set up, get it. You will not wear it out and if you can afford to, the minor replacement parts don't matter. Realistically, you might have to replace the small parts on the bolt and maybe the bolt itself.

K.L. Davis
11-14-06, 21:55
I already have a rra mid length and was hoping the carbine would be as reliable but lighter...
I was looking at a stag upper m4 profile...
Is this going to give problems or is it more of a wear issue...
Recoil is the least of my concerns...

Perhaps you are dealing with the fuller profile of the RRA barrel? The difference in weight between a carbine and mid-length gas system (with the same barrel) is only a few ounces.

speedfreak955
11-15-06, 03:30
Perhaps you are dealing with the fuller profile of the RRA barrel? The difference in weight between a carbine and mid-length gas system (with the same barrel) is only a few ounces.
You are correct.. Mine is the heavy under the handguards:(
Thanks guys for the responses... Looks as if I have some soul searching to do...
Speed

Robb Jensen
11-15-06, 03:53
You can have Randall at www.ar15barrels.com reprofile it under between the barrel extension and gas port to .625" and It'll remove a lot of the weight. I think he charges $40.00 plus return shipping if you remove your barrel from your receiver yourself.

I'll be sending him a 16" HBAR RRA middy bbl for reprofiling, open gas port & and cutting to 14.5" and perm. attaching my Sabre Defense long A2 flash suppressor.

speedfreak955
11-17-06, 18:29
Well,
here it its... I did a carbine:)
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/speedfreak955/house141.jpg

TOrrock
11-17-06, 18:35
Lookin' damn good there Speed! :cool:

How do you keep your daughter from taking possession??? :D

speedfreak955
11-17-06, 18:38
Lookin' damn good there Speed! :cool:

How do you keep your daughter from taking possession??? :D
She's got one already....

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/speedfreak955/000_0275.jpg

TOrrock
11-17-06, 18:51
And it's a damn good thing she knows how to use it too! :cool:

Great looking family, both family and guns!