PDA

View Full Version : My first “build”...20in Flattop

TBAR_94
05-29-21, 18:53
I finally got the parts in this week to finish a flattop rifle I’ve been assembling from parts. There is nothing fancy about this but this version of the AR is meaningful to me because of its use in the early GWOT. A couple of good friends of mine from high school carried it in Iraq, one in the National Guard, one in the Marines. The Marine didn’t come home—I was an ROTC cadet when he was killed, and he was the first friend I lost in combat. So spending my Memorial Day weekend working on a version of the rifle he died with has extra significance to me.

Nothing fancy here, it’s a Aero upper on and Anderson lower, with a BCM BCG. The Anderson lower was available and reasonably priced, eventually I may swap out the trigger for something a little smoother. Ido plan to add an optic at some point, and perhaps a rail and bipod to make an homage to an A4 DMR rifle, but more importantly something to roll a few hogs with.

Range trip will have to a wait a week or two—I’m staying far away from all the public ranges over the holiday weekend. Sorry for the lousy iPhone pictures, but it’s a 20 inch rifle, you get the idea.

ABNAK
05-29-21, 18:55
Looks pretty nice!

Spooky1
05-29-21, 19:20
Nice Rifle!

Stickman
05-29-21, 20:45
Looks like your carry handle is off a notch, but congrats on getting your build assembled. How does it shoot?

In a side note, this post may get moved to a more correct section, but welcome to the club either way.

TBAR_94
05-29-21, 21:29
Looks like your carry handle is off a notch, but congrats on getting your build assembled. How does it shoot?

In a side note, this post may get moved to a more correct section, but welcome to the club either way.

Doh! The handle was the last thing I threw on, and I was trying to get a picture before the sun when down. To your second point, if this should have gone in the vintage section, no worries—I wasn’t sure where to put it.

05-29-21, 21:37
A plain A4 is the most aesthetically pleasing AR to my eyes.

bamashooter
05-30-21, 07:24
Congrats. I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as I do my WW 20"; which is a lot. The only changes I made are an upgraded trigger assembly and 8-12 optic. Feels like I'm shooting a BB gun compared to my carbines and pistols.

Stickman
05-30-21, 10:40
Doh! The handle was the last thing I threw on, and I was trying to get a picture before the sun when down. To your second point, if this should have gone in the vintage section, no worries—I wasn’t sure where to put it.

I don't think anyone is going to cry about it being posted here instead of the build section, but I figured I would mention it in case it was moved.

A3 flat top Carry handles aren't vintage, so you are safe lol. You aren't the first person to throw on a carry handle and have it be off a notch or two, I've done it myself, then always felt like a goof when I noticed.

Have you had a chance to put any rounds through it yet?