PDA

View Full Version : Geissele is using black oxide on their barrels now

Walker_Texasranger
05-30-21, 17:52
Apparently Geissele has been using black oxide on their barrels for a couple months now. They are telling people to remove their rails and oil the barrels to keep them from rusting.

Charging KAC prices and using black oxide. Discuss.

opngrnd
05-30-21, 17:58
I strip the barrel of oils, spray paint it, and drive on. I don't purchase things with the intention of the resale. If it functions properly I spray paint it and use it to the end of its service life.

Spooky1
05-30-21, 19:44
I strip the barrel of oils, spray paint it, and drive on. I don't purchase things with the intention of the resale. If it functions properly I spray paint it and use it to the end of its service life.

+ 1, Same hear.

05-30-21, 19:44
What’s the point of spray painting everything?

Black oxide/bluing seems like a pretty poor choice for a barrel finish these days.

MJN1957
05-30-21, 20:03

A properly prepped paint job is a decent, quick, and inexpensive way to keep things from rusting.

I've been doing the same thing for years

ABNAK
05-30-21, 20:23
Just about all of my long guns have been Duracoated by my buddy. If it's aluminum it gets flat black; if it's steel it gets Colt Gray (a perfect match for parkerizing BTW). The surface is protected and if there is a scratch you can't tell because it's the same color as the underlying finish.

opngrnd
05-30-21, 20:27

Black oxide/bluing seems like a pretty poor choice for a barrel finish these days.

Simple rust mitigation. It gets cold enough where I'm at that your equipment sweats when it comes in after a range session. The paint cuts down on how quickly things rust. I may start cerakoting things if I ever make time for it prior to building something, but that's a lot of money for something cosmetic (although it is certainly better than spray paint.)

Spooky1
05-30-21, 20:29

All my AR's are Camouflaged.

gunnerblue
05-30-21, 20:32

It's fine for a more traditional rifle on which the barrel can be accessed easily for maintenance. Unacceptable for an AR on which the rail would have to be removed to clean/oil the barrel. I have and use lots of G stuff, but I look at them with skeptical hippo eyes these days after Larue proved that EDM triggers could be sold for a lot less than what a SSA costs.

That said, I'm set up to easily coat parts with molyresin if I so choose. Usually I just leave parkerized/manganese Phosphate barrels alone.

Budget
05-30-21, 23:41
I'll say it. I don't get Geissele. Seems way frigging over priced for what it is. Good rails, amazing triggers (although SSA-E did not pass FBI testing). Guns that cost 2k should do everything else too IE reliability, accuracy, etc.

JediGuy
05-31-21, 08:39
...although SSA-E did not pass FBI testing...

Info?

Spooky1
05-31-21, 10:04
Info?

Yes, information please!

ViniVidivici
05-31-21, 10:06

This is the way. A buddy taught me this years ago, when I asked how best to keep the barrel coated under a rail. Makes so much sense.

Hell, even on a gun we didnt make "tan-and-green-all-over", the barrel got a coat of black primer, and black engine paint. Can't even tell. But it'll never rust.

I'll be damned if I'm gonna remove a rail now and then to oil coat a barrel. That's idiotic of them to advise.

mig1nc
05-31-21, 14:39
At least the bore is chrome lined. What were they using before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prepare
05-31-21, 14:45
Did Bill Geissele recently step away from the company or step down?

pag23
05-31-21, 15:31
Did Bill Geissele recently step away from the company or step down?

Not from what I heard, but they have been expanding product lines like a water balloon and eventually.......

I like Geiselle triggers, I like a few products, but there are other choices for barrels and other parts...

Walker_Texasranger
05-31-21, 15:32
At least the bore is chrome lined. What were they using before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not all of them. They are doing Nitride barrels too. I think the outside of the barrels were Parkerized before and then they switched to black oxide and didn’t change the website until people started calling them out. I don’t think the pistol pages even mention it yet though.

Budget
05-31-21, 17:54
RE SSA-E:

I have a professional relationship with FBI range guy. Their new rifles are the G LE models as I understand. Except fancy FBI rail people are dying to get. They originally were going to be 11.5 Colt barrels or 16 inch for personal purchase option but I believe they went Geissele through and through. He said they use the SSA trigger because they were having issues with the SSA-E triggers not resetting. This was infrequent but in the same testing SSA performed 100% so they went with that. They are still fielding these and have had no issues so far as I know but the consumer market doesn't seem to have the same luck. This was all semi auto as outside of HRT and maybe some FBI Swat they are not giving all their Agents FA.

He also said the authorized Romeo red dots were the most frequently broken pieces of gear but Sig apparently had amazing CS and replaced them quickly.

Pappabear
05-31-21, 19:52
tagged for interest. The rifles seem pretty legit, but I want someone's feedback that has run the shit out of them like LMT/Colt rifles with long term abuse. Their $1,800 street price with rails and SSA triggers seem fair to me. But I am NOT OK with Nitride barrels-Nope and no and nope.

PB

Twilk73
06-01-21, 00:51
My opinion, I doubt want to paint my own barrel, I hate painting and I suck at it. Secondly I don't want to think about removing my rail and wiping things down other then there exterior.

At least we know now, so if you want one paint it I guess.

LMT/556
06-02-21, 16:13
In all fairness park requires oil...

06-02-21, 16:51
In all fairness park requires oil...

This.

Take a look at US Mil barrels in areas with lots of rain. I’ve dripped CLP through rail holes many times on shitty days to save myself some trouble at turn-in time. I dunno anything about black oxide, but for those here that insist that nitride barrels are garbage and won’t last through a box of ammo, this is the cost of that philosophy. There are lots of good reasons to choose chrome, but the external surfaces WILL rust. If you’re just now noticing that and think its a shitty G thing, put your phone down and take a look in the mirror. Now take that safe queen out. You know you want to.

I paint my beaters. I’ll ask my Geissele wielding buddies what they are doing for PM. We live and shoot in swamp territory near the coast and shoot rain or shine.

(SW desert dwellers: rust, rhyming with must, trust, and thrust is an orange or reddish thing that consumes iron and forms a cancerous growth on ferrous metal parts. It comes in several types.)

LMT/556
06-02-21, 17:00
I usually coat mine with Hornady One Shot somewhere in there, but I'm not doing frogman shit in saltwater either so...

RHINOWSO
06-02-21, 20:21
I don't stick with anyone for one-stop-shopping.

Geissele Triggers, Optic/RDS moungs, and ACH/SCH are it for me.

I'm sure they make good guns, but I'm fine with what I already have.

It should be obvious I'm not a lemming too. ;)