PDA

View Full Version : Prismatic Red Dot sights opinions.

05-31-21, 10:41
What is your opinion on Prismatic Red Dot sights?

I am looking at the Sig Sauer Bravo3 3x24mm Battle Red Dot Sight (and others) to possibly replace a Sig Romeo5 red dot.
Just to see the target a bit better at 50/100 yards and address the occasional astigmatism.

everready73
05-31-21, 15:04
Primary arms 2x seems to be the best of the budget options. They have other mag ranges but the 2x is manufactured different and it's higher quality

05-31-21, 16:57
Primary arms 2x seems to be the best of the budget options. They have other mag ranges but the 2x is manufactured different and it's higher quality

Thanks. It would be good to know how many people have switched to Prism optics from regular Red Dots, if any.

Allen
05-31-21, 17:35
I have very mild astigmatism & run a T1 right now, but have played with the swamp fox prismatic, Leupolds Prismatic and the TA44,45 and 47. I want to love the TA45 & 47, however at cost they're just not competitive unless you find a used one. Leupold discontinued theirs, Sig's gotten way better, have friends with Primary Arms who are happy @ the price point.

MC_Oper8or
06-01-21, 01:00
Glx 2x is my new fav. Starburst with red dots pushed me in this direction. Didn't want the weight of an LPVO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

06-01-21, 06:43
Glx 2x is my new fav. Starburst with red dots pushed me in this direction. Didn't want the weight of an LPVO.

Yeah, not only the weight, a good LPVO would cost more $$ too.

everready73
06-01-21, 12:05
PA is aso coming out with a 1x Micro Prism similar to the GLX 2x. Should be a good improvement over the current cyclops. Guess the reticle is larger, footprint smaller, and probably some internal differences for increased durability

06-01-21, 13:53
The idea is not only to address astigmatism, I am also looking for some magnification.
Prism optics have their pros and cons. I would like your overall opinion on their use, and how much you like/hate them.

turnburglar
06-01-21, 20:49
The idea is not only to address astigmatism, I am also looking for some magnification.
Prism optics have their pros and cons. I would like your overall opinion on their use, and how much you like/hate them.

Prism scopes are actually really cool little optics usually.

They are great for shooter's with astigmatism and also offer some magnification at the foot print of a red dot.

The only reason I run LPVo's over a prism is because the LPVO's are adjustable magnification. I like to be able to set up my optic's magnification to match the stage that I am about to shoot. Outside of match use; prism optics would be great for field guns, or any kind of general purpose carbine.

I also don't buy prism optics, because even with my astigmatism I can comfortably shoot red dots 300 yards easy. 400 with a little work. The other day I went 1 outa 3 on the 500 yard 12" plate with a red dot.

06-01-21, 21:07
Prism scopes are actually really cool little optics usually.

They are great for shooter's with astigmatism and also offer some magnification at the foot print of a red dot.

The only reason I run LPVo's over a prism is because the LPVO's are adjustable magnification. I like to be able to set up my optic's magnification to match the stage that I am about to shoot. Outside of match use; prism optics would be great for field guns, or any kind of general purpose carbine.

I also don't buy prism optics, because even with my astigmatism I can comfortably shoot red dots 300 yards easy. 400 with a little work. The other day I went 1 outa 3 on the 500 yard 12" plate with a red dot.

Thanks. I don’t know much about LPVOs, just what I have read online. I have zero experience with them.
Can you recommend a good and durable LPVO in the $300 range? Around $300 is what the Sig Bravo 3 prism goes for in comparison.
I have read that one needs to spend 3-4 times that for a good and durable LPVO. Is that true?
I have seen some Vortex models in that price range, and Vortex makes good stuff. But like I said, I have no real knowledge when it comes to LPVOs.

Jellybean
06-01-21, 22:43
PA is aso coming out with a 1x Micro Prism similar to the GLX 2x. Should be a good improvement over the current cyclops. Guess the reticle is larger, footprint smaller, and probably some internal differences for increased durability

If they fix the micro-reticle issue with the Cyclops, and the price isn't insane, I'm totally going to be interested. Been wanting a decent 1x/0x prism for some time as red dots are starting to fuzz and blur for me in recent years.

everready73
06-02-21, 14:48
If they fix the micro-reticle issue with the Cyclops, and the price isn't insane, I'm totally going to be interested. Been wanting a decent 1x/0x prism for some time as red dots are starting to fuzz and blur for me in recent years.

I believe they posted some comparison pics of reticle size in their industry forum on TOS. It is a good bit larger from what i remember.

MC_Oper8or
06-02-21, 14:49
I had a ta44 acss and it was tiny compared to the PA 2x

everready73
06-02-21, 14:54
Thanks. I don’t know much about LPVOs, just what I have read online. I have zero experience with them.
Can you recommend a good and durable LPVO in the $300 range? Around $300 is what the Sig Bravo 3 prism goes for in comparison.
I have read that one needs to spend 3-4 times that for a good and durable LPVO. Is that true?
I have seen some Vortex models in that price range, and Vortex makes good stuff. But like I said, I have no real knowledge when it comes to LPVOs.

What you said about LPVO pricing is generally true. You have to spend more to get a decent product compared to a fixed prism scope. The lower end vortex strike eagle is not something i would recommend. Primary arms and a bunch of others make them in the $300-400 price range as well, but again i would go a little higher (not necessarily 3x) to get something with decent glass and durable. If you are just plinking at the range i like the PA over the strike eagle because of the reticle

The absolute lowest i would go for a LPVO is the Burris RT6 at about $350. I would want something better peronally, but this is the best of the ones under $400 IMO

If you can go up to around $600 you have some decent options like the Vortex PST 2 and the Delta Stryker (have some some really good feedback on this), and Primary arms is coming out with a Filipino made GLX1-6 that i am betting will be really good for the price. Steiner P4XI if you can find one sale is a good option, but they have gotten pricey. A used Burris XTR 1-5 would be a good option too

The downside to a LPVO compared to a prism is generally weight and cost

06-03-21, 07:06
What you said about LPVO pricing is generally true. You have to spend more to get a decent product compared to a fixed prism scope. The lower end vortex strike eagle is not something i would recommend. Primary arms and a bunch of others make them in the $300-400 price range as well, but again i would go a little higher (not necessarily 3x) to get something with decent glass and durable. If you are just plinking at the range i like the PA over the strike eagle because of the reticle

The absolute lowest i would go for a LPVO is the Burris RT6 at about $350. I would want something better peronally, but this is the best of the ones under $400 IMO

If you can go up to around $600 you have some decent options like the Vortex PST 2 and the Delta Stryker (have some some really good feedback on this), and Primary arms is coming out with a Filipino made GLX1-6 that i am betting will be really good for the price. Steiner P4XI if you can find one sale is a good option, but they have gotten pricey. A used Burris XTR 1-5 would be a good option too

The downside to a LPVO compared to a prism is generally weight and cost

Thanks for the detailed reply and information!
That is what I have read so far. If one were to stay in the $300 range, a Prism Optic is the way to go.

Jellybean
06-03-21, 13:19
I believe they posted some comparison pics of reticle size in their industry forum on TOS. It is a good bit larger from what i remember.

They didn't post any comparison pics yet(that I saw), just a couple of the current reticle. The rep there stated the new reticle is 3x larger than the original Cyclops, so we'll see. Also said MSRP is currently looking like $250. Interesting....

titsonritz
06-03-21, 15:00
Are there any that have a proven track record for duty use?

06-05-21, 10:40
Are there any that have a proven track record for duty use?

Isn’t the ACOG a Prism Scope?

06-05-21, 10:51
I don’t know about how it would work with your astigmatism, but, if you already have a red dot sight and are just looking to get 3 Xs out of a sight, have you thought about magnifiers?

If you’ve already thought about this, just ignore me so we don’t derail your thread.

06-05-21, 11:47
I don’t know about how it would work with your astigmatism, but, if you already have a red dot sight and are just looking to get 3 Xs out of a sight, have you thought about magnifiers?

If you’ve already thought about this, just ignore me so we don’t derail your thread.

Yes, I thought about 3X magnifiers. They are a valid choice, but add weight and space in comparison.
I thought about moving the red dot to the 22lr rifle and get something else for the AR. The Sig Bravo 3 (as an example) would cost less than a red dot and magnifier, plus lighter overall. I’m still on the fence though.

06-09-21, 06:46
Yes, I thought about 3X magnifiers. They are a valid choice, but add weight and space in comparison.
I thought about moving the red dot to the 22lr rifle and get something else for the AR. The Sig Bravo 3 (as an example) would cost less than a red dot and magnifier, plus lighter overall. I’m still on the fence though.

There are complaints about the the eye relief and dot size on the Sig Bravo series.
Back to a 3X magnifier….

titsonritz
06-09-21, 22:39
What is your opinion on Prismatic Red Dot sights?

I am looking at the Sig Sauer Bravo3 3x24mm Battle Red Dot Sight (and others) to possibly replace a Sig Romeo5 red dot.
Just to see the target a bit better at 50/100 yards and address the occasional astigmatism.

Isn’t the ACOG a Prism Scope?

Seems like comparing apples to oranges to me.

ToeheadAR
06-10-21, 13:36

I really like the look and features of their new Micro Prism scope. I have an astigmatism as many others and bought a Vortex UH-1 just before PA announced the Micro Prism. Hopefully I'll have the need to try to PA Micro Prism on a new rifle in the future until then I am waiting to see some real reviews and comparisons.