PDA

View Full Version : Trouble loading 30 round mag

SmokeGlider
12-08-08, 19:02
OK, I know this is probably a real DS question, but I'm stuck.
I've got a new LMT with a 30 round mag. I cleaned and lubed it for the 1st time today. Afterward, I tried inserting a full mag into the upper with the bolt forward, but the mag won't latch. I should be able to load a full mag with the bolt open or closed (LMT confirms this). The only way the mag will insert is if I open the bolt first or strip a round out of the mag. I disassembled and then reassembled the upper. The bolt group inserts into the upper without issue. I also stripped, counted and reloaded the magazine. No joy either way. I may be going nuts but I'm sure I was able to load a full mag with out pre-charging the weapon.

I don't have another mag to try...still waiting on my backordered PMags...

Thoughts? :confused:

noctis
12-08-08, 19:10
Let me guess USGI magazine?

Its a 30rd USGI magazine issue, and the reason why I and everyone I work with load 26-28 rounds in 30rd USGI magazines.

Cagemonkey
12-08-08, 19:20
With the exception of Pmags, Lancer mags and HK mags, all other 30 rd mags aren't. Download to 28/27 rds. Easy fix. I've seen GI 30 rd mag bodies bulge out and floor plates pop out spilling the contents of the mag.

Darkop
12-08-08, 19:37
[QUOTE=SmokeGlider;265488]OK, I know this is probably a real DS question, but I'm stuck.
I've got a new LMT with a 30 round mag. I cleaned and lubed it for the 1st time today. Afterward, I tried inserting a full mag into the upper with the bolt forward, but the mag won't latch. I should be able to load a full mag with the bolt open or closed (LMT confirms this). The only way the mag will insert is if I open the bolt first or strip a round out of the mag. I disassembled and then reassembled the upper. The bolt group inserts into the upper without issue. I also stripped, counted and reloaded the magazine. No joy either way. I may be going nuts but I'm sure I was able to load a full mag with out pre-charging the weapon.

I don't have another mag to try...still waiting on my backordered PMags...

The 30 round USGI mags hold 30 rounds. The problem arises when you attempt a reload (speed or retention type) with the bolt closed. When the bolt is closed the Bolt carrier presses down on the top round in the magazine, thus when the BCG moves to the rear under recoil, the top round moves up slightly and on forward movement, picks up the top round and chambers it.

Our department always loads to 28 rounds. This way a speed or tactical reload can be done with the bolt closed, since we never shoot dry to open bolt.

Yes, the PMags and others will allow you to load to full capacity and lock the mag in with the bolt closed.

Until that day,
Darkop

SmokeGlider
12-08-08, 20:03
Yup, green follower...USGI. Flimsy mag too, flimsier than I remember. Thanks for the heads up. :p

BushmasterFanBoy
12-08-08, 20:14
This may sound a bit off-base, but, are you loading more than 30 rounds by chance? Most GI mags I've seen can fit 31 rounds if you try, perhaps this is what is being done? Either way, Pmags are the cure to this problem.

seb5
12-08-08, 20:27
It is asinine to load 30. Load 28 and all of your woes will go. Here you go, read and learn.

http://lightfighter.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7206084761/m/92510541

SmokeGlider
12-08-08, 22:03
No, I counted just 30 rounds, twice. And seb5, uh, thanks for saying what everyone else said but with attitude. Funny, I can load 20 rounds in my 20 round mags with no probs, so i just figured...

Thanks to everyone else for your help.

-smoke

thopkins22
12-08-08, 22:17
It's a known issue, virtually every trainer in the business recommends using USGI mags as 28 round magazines. If your needs dictate that two extra rounds following twenty eight are absolutely necessary, buy Lancers or PMAGs.

ETA I should remember to read all the way to the bottom...as you got your answer already.

MassMark
12-08-08, 22:18
Why out of the 30+ different USGI 30rd mags that I own do I NEVER have this issue? I read about folks loading to 27/28 rounds and just think: WTF? I have mags from all eras and most USGI makes. The only mags I have a slight issue with are two Coopers that are still a slightly tight fit, (better after bashing them with a 2x4). I am also talking about 2 rifles - one Colt National Match and now my Anvil Arms M4. I never, ever have an issue inserting a 30rd mag under a bolt, (open or closed) I'm Irish - so it can't be luck. To me, loading a 30rd mag to 27rds is asinine...What gives???

rob_s
12-09-08, 09:49
Why out of the 30+ different USGI 30rd mags that I own do I NEVER have this issue? I read about folks loading to 27/28 rounds and just think: WTF? I have mags from all eras and most USGI makes. The only mags I have a slight issue with are two Coopers that are still a slightly tight fit, (better after bashing them with a 2x4). I am also talking about 2 rifles - one Colt National Match and now my Anvil Arms M4. I never, ever have an issue inserting a 30rd mag under a bolt, (open or closed) I'm Irish - so it can't be luck. To me, loading a 30rd mag to 27rds is asinine...What gives???

What is your frame of reference? What type of shooting do you do and in what quantity? How many rounds do you shoot a year?

What's asinine is a statement like above but with zero qualifiers. I can sit on my sofa and insert magazines loaded to 30 until the cows come home, but lying on the deck in SBU prone and shooting under a car, then trying to do a tac-load from that position and things aren't as easy as they were on the sofa.

Not (necessarily) saying this applies to you, but without a lot of qualifiers to your post it's pretty pointless.

I've been running monthly carbine matches for 4-5 years now and running monthly rifle drills for about a year. At virtually every single event where I've been supervising rifle shooters making bolt-closed reloads on a non-static line I've witnessed at least one shooter with a magazine falling out of guns onto the deck. When asked, they have had 30 rounds in them without fail. I JUST watched this happen, more than once to the same shooter, one week ago exactly. Eventually he got the hint and started stripping the top two rounds out of his magazines.

C4IGrant
12-09-08, 10:06

It isn't that you cannot get a 30rd mag into an AR with the bolt closed, but that it is harded to do. By down loading to 28rds, you are taking tension off the spring making it easier to do a tac reload.

Remember that under stress ALL things are harder and making sure that the mag is easier to insert is all that matters.

C4

Darkop
12-09-08, 11:13
I've been running monthly carbine matches for 4-5 years now and running monthly rifle drills for about a year. At virtually every single event where I've been supervising rifle shooters making bolt-closed reloads on a non-static line I've witnessed at least one shooter with a magazine falling out of guns onto the deck. When asked, they have had 30 rounds in them without fail. I JUST watched this happen, more than once to the same shooter, one week ago exactly. Eventually he got the hint and started stripping the top two rounds out of his magazines.[/QUOTE]

Yep, I've watched this happen time and time again. Under pressure/stress unorthadox shooting position. Tac reload, ffailure to tug on magazine....... bam type 1.

#1 reason for a type 1 in any magazine fed weapon?...................... failure to seat the mag.

Until that day,
Darkop