PDA

View Full Version : MI-STAP-SF Side Folder

Voodoochild
06-03-21, 13:37
ETA on when these might show back up? Looking to swap out stock on my MCX.

Midwest Industries
06-04-21, 05:22
We will begin machining the next run of them on a few weeks. I would say 6-8 weeks.
thank you for your interest.

Troy

MI

Diamondback
11-27-21, 21:29
Question: Is there any way the STAP-SF can be retrofitted with a thumbscrew or lever release to replace the screw assembly, something like https://www.admmfg.com/std-lever or the thumbscrews on some optic mounts? I'm penciling out a "quick-change" backend kit as part of a Ruger Charger "convertible" project I'm considering, and needing an Allen wrench is one of the sticky parts on the concept. (Yes, I could use the same tube in both braced pistol and stocked rifle setups and just swap 'em on the same tube like an AR, but then I have to fight with installing/removing length of pull limiters and that kinda negates the "Quick Change Kit" concept.)

Midwest Industries
11-30-21, 05:13
Question: Is there any way the STAP-SF can be retrofitted with a thumbscrew or lever release to replace the screw assembly, something like https://www.admmfg.com/std-lever or the thumbscrews on some optic mounts? I'm penciling out a "quick-change" backend kit as part of a Ruger Charger "convertible" project I'm considering, and needing an Allen wrench is one of the sticky parts on the concept. (Yes, I could use the same tube in both braced pistol and stocked rifle setups and just swap 'em on the same tube like an AR, but then I have to fight with installing/removing length of pull limiters and that kinda negates the "Quick Change Kit" concept.)

Ill look into this.

Troy

MI

Diamondback
11-30-21, 10:44
Thanks, Troy. It's admittedly a bit of an "Out In Left Field" situation, most customers are probably more "mount it once and done."

Midwest Industries
11-30-21, 17:50
We have internally discussed situations where someone may want to install or remove it in a faster way. I have a design in the works already . We would sell a different type of cross bolt that could be purchased separately.

Troy

MI

Diamondback
11-30-21, 18:38
We have internally discussed situations where someone may want to install or remove it in a faster way. I have a design in the works already . We would sell a different type of cross bolt that could be purchased separately.

Troy

MI

Again, thanks--not an immediate hurry, this is a design study that may never proceed to build. It largely originated between wanting to throw you guys a bone as "prime contractor or major sub" on a project as a thank you for all the technical support Service Before Sale, even when telling me what I needed to hear meant your product didn't fit my application, combined with a low tools/low skill "first build" project to introduce my girlfriend to the armorer's bench with. :)

Suggestion: Maybe when the new crossbolt's ready add it to the tube page as a "package deal" option, like your 10/22 chassis's page with handguards?

As an aside, any suggestions on iron sights on your 10/22 Takedown handguards?

Midwest Industries
12-01-21, 07:21
Thanks and as for the sights on the take down guns we have not dove into all the options that can and can not be used with the 10/22 take down chassis. There is so much stuff out there now days.

thanks

Troy

MI

Diamondback
01-03-22, 15:02
Troy et al, just to drop an update: If anybody needs a quick-detach option "Right Now" as a bridge capability until your solution's ready, it looks like Leapers MNT-RSQD403 is a three-slot QD-levered short riser that should blend in almost seamlessly. Yeah, I know, UTG = UGH, but as a "cheap and cheerful" temporary stopgap solution it might work.

Diamondback
01-08-22, 14:49
Just had a suggestion to possibly shortcut the design process, Troy. If you guys use 3d CAD/CAM modeling, could you basically shave off everything from about 1/16" behind the rear of the STAP's rail socket and graft on the body of the QD-170S in its place using the existing jaw/lever/crossbolt you already make?

Midwest Industries
01-31-22, 05:02
Thanks for the suggestion. We will be releasing a very simple and affordable solution for those that want a fast on or off set up.

Troy
MI

Diamondback
03-26-22, 00:39
Some thoughts from Quick & Dirty prototyping on my Charger build, using a Leapers MNT-RSQD403 optic riser as QD proof-of-concept:

1. With the added length of the riser, you lose both Positions 5 and 6 with pistol braces to stay below the 13.5" limit if I'm measuring right. One your own QD conversion becomes available to replace the crossbolt, that should reopen Position 5.
2. With SB Tactical adjustable braces (A3 and A4), you also lose Position 1 unless you chop off the front 1/4" "lip" and cut a hole for the tube and bottom keyway in the brace's rear. (About where the SB logo is.)
3. A SOPMOD stock fully collapses into Position 1 and will lock in folded position, but the saddlebags mean it will be a few degrees off parallel to bore-axis. The more you extend the stock before folding the closer you can get.

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/655632728812683276/957149137139273839/20220325_220934.jpg?width=911&height=683

This pic has brace and stock "normalized" to correspond to both being in Full Collapse position. You guys have a solid product, and if BATFEces doesn't bugger us on pistol braces, once I pass the kidneystone of stocking up on soon-to-be-banned-in-WA mags and you roll out the QD conversion I can easily see myself buying a second for this project's stock assembly.