PDA

View Full Version : Eotech cowitness question?

tacticool
12-08-08, 19:32
I'm torn between the 512 and the 516. I just don't understand cowitnessing in the bottom 3rd. From what I understand, that is the best you can do with the 516.
Absolute cowitness is attainable with the 512, and is really what I was after. But, the 516 uses cr123 batteries therefore keeping the optic shorter, longer battery life, and uses the same batteries as my weapon light.
My queston is, is absolute cowitness crucial or am I just being too anal? or do the other benifits out weigh absulute cowitnessing? What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

JackOSU
12-08-08, 21:25
I've always been told the 512 has a better battery life. Not sure on the other's cowitnessing issue for i've only dealt with 512 personally.

LOKNLOD
12-08-08, 21:51
Personally, I don't think that the absolute cowitness is crucial, I don't even think it's an advantage.

The 516 uses the same batteries as your weaponlight, buttons on the side where they're easier to get to and don't keep you from using a magnifier later, mounts with less rail space, and provides lower 1/3 cowitness.

The 512 uses more widely available batteries, and mounts low enough to to do the absolute cowitness.

Since you're the one placing an importance on absolute cowitness, is it important enough to you to outweigh the other advantages? Explain your reasoning for prefering absolute -- it's your choice one way or the other, but I think in the process of explaining, you'll either justify the need or decide it's not important.

Pick your poison.

Troy (WA)
12-09-08, 00:07
on a Larue LT 110. I put together 16 rifles for our PD with the 512 and the LT 110. It raises the sight about 1/4 inch so you can see what is downrange that "might" be hidden behind the front sight base. You can still get a good cheek weld without feeling like the sight is sitting too high. You BUIS will still be available for use by looking through the bottom third of the sight.

I tried it both ways and I prefer the LT110 mount. Your milage may vary.