PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Surefire muzzle device

coolcraigster
06-06-21, 12:55
I read here alot but never post so bare with me.

Building 556 11.5" SBR and will be adding Surefire suppressor down the road so I'm looking at the surefire muzzle devices. Want something that will work well with and without suppressor. Main 2 I'm looking at is the warcomp and the non compensated closed tine. I dont like how the compensated closed tine has the longer shoulder causing a larger gap between suppressor and handghard. Also here alot of people say the open tine versions making a ringing sort of noise. Just wanted to get some advice.

Hammer_Man
06-06-21, 13:22
I’d run a SF3P, based on my experience it suppresses flash better than the closed tine.

mRad
06-06-21, 13:24
I’d run a SF3P, based on my experience it suppresses flash better than the closed tine.

I would agree with this. It is also my choice for my SBR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coolcraigster
06-06-21, 13:30
Whats the ringing or pinging noises everyone talks about with the open tine flash hiders?

mRad
06-06-21, 13:43
Whats the ringing or pinging noises everyone talks about with the open tine flash hiders?

It sounds like a tuning fork when firing or if you bump it.

06-06-21, 13:43
I have been using open tine flash hiders forever and sometimes I will notice that it pings like a tuning fork. If you use foam earplugs, you’ll never hear it. If you use electronic, it’s noticeable.

It’s a little sound. It’s NOTHING compared to obnoxious noise and blast from a comp or brake. Even the half-assed ones that are supposed to be tactical or whatever.

opngrnd
06-06-21, 13:49
The closed tine Warcomp has a very annoying downward push on the muzzle. I'd definitely take the open tine Warcomp over the closed tine. I have had open time warcomp on several different barrels. One of them pings noticeably, the other ones didn't. I think it just depends on that particular barrel's harmonics.

In hindsight, I think I would consider the Surefire three or four prong flash hiders over the Warcomp since it'll do a better job hiding flash.

Defaultmp3
06-06-21, 14:11
Be aware that the Warcomps lack the labyrinth seals that the flash hider and brake have, making them even easier to get a can carbon welded on.

coolcraigster
06-06-21, 14:16
Any reason to go with the 3 prong over 4 prong or vise versa?

chamber143
06-06-21, 15:22
I have the brake because it’s what they had the day my socom was released from jail so I bought it. I never shoot without the can but the free times I have, it’s freaking awful. I also have a warcomp and on a 16 barrel it’s nice. Not sure what it would do differently on an sbr. Not sure it matters really though because once you shoot with a suppressor on it, you won’t shoot without it. At least I don’t

gunnerblue
06-06-21, 15:32
Surefire open tine flash hiders ping annoyingly (at least for me) but once you mount a can it's a non issue. Brakes on SBR's, on the other hand, are extremely obnoxious and uncomfortable when not suppressed. A brake can act as a sacrificial baffle with suppressed, though, so that's something to consider.

I have an open tine warcomp on one rifle. I don't notice any pushing of the muzzle one way or another with the ports timed almost exactly straight up and it's not very loud (for a brake) when unsuppressed.

coolcraigster
06-06-21, 16:00
Is there a noticeable difference in muzzle rise from the warcomp to the standard 3 prong?

mRad
06-06-21, 16:11
Is there a noticeable difference in muzzle rise from the warcomp to the standard 3 prong?

Splits for my at 10, 15, or 25 yards keeping rounds in the A-Zone are no different. Extend that to 50 yards and the Warcomp is very minimally faster.

Warcomp also has much more flash. It’s not terrible, but the 3 prong is almost no flash and much less concussion.

gunnerblue
06-06-21, 16:12

Not for me, though I almost never shoot unsuppressed anymore. Changes to gas systems, etc could have a more noticeable affect than just the muzzle device. I once had a factory BCM lightweight 16" midlength upper coupled with an A5 receiver that recoiled less than almost any competition-braked gun I've ever fired.

coolcraigster
06-06-21, 16:14
Ok. I think I'm convinced on the SF3P. Thanks for everyone's help. Much appreciated.

turnburglar
06-06-21, 16:15
I have a 7.62 Warcomp on a 18" 6.5 creedmoor.

No pinging, or excessive flash/blast in my experience. If anything it is one of my favorite muzzle devices.

If you want to shoot a gun unsuppressed I would highly recommend staying away from brakes/comps for any kind of tactical use.

coolcraigster
06-06-21, 16:21
Yeah I'm not a fan of brakes. Had a VG6 Gamma on my 16" and while it was awesome at keeping muzzle flat and zero recoil whatsoever it was tooth rattling. I know the warcomp is not a brake just wasn't sure if it had that concussion with the top ports.

Warp
06-06-21, 16:40
Ok. I think I'm convinced on the SF3P. Thanks for everyone's help. Much appreciated.

Wise.

opngrnd
06-06-21, 17:19
Where can they be found? I'd love to swap out a muzzle brake for a 3 prong.

gunnerblue
06-06-21, 20:11

Make sure that you get the flash higher compatible with the suppressor that you have in mind. There are still some for sale (FA556 model) that won’t work with the newer RC2 cans, fyi