PDA

View Full Version : Richard Flaherty, shortest man ever in the US Army, Documentary

WillBrink
06-16-21, 12:12
One hard little man. I'm sure some of you have heard of him, but his life story has a lot to it. As with all human beings, he had his good sides and bad, and his true adventures still gets the "we can neither confirm nor deny" responses from the CIA et al when inquired about him. What I personally found most interesting was, he was homeless for approx 30 years, yet when they looked at his passport found in his locker after his death, he'd been all over the world regularly, often in hot spots, during that time:

https://www.amazon.com/Giant-Killer-David-Yuzuk/dp/B079Q78RZT

flenna
06-16-21, 12:24
I read that book last year, definitely an amazing story. His exploits in VN are something, too. Like when he dressed up as a North Vietnamese soldier and walked into their lines to look for his wounded soldiers. Due to his height they thought he was one of them.

Diamondback
06-16-21, 12:29
Illustrates the old wisdom of Uncle Frank very nicely. "NEVER pick a fight with a short guy, they go straight to meaner than a mad dog because it's either win big or lose big with no outcomes in between."

WillBrink
06-16-21, 12:33
I read that book last year, definitely an amazing story. His exploits in VN are something, too. Like when he dressed up as a North Vietnamese soldier and walked into their lines to look for his wounded soldiers. Due to his height they thought he was one of them.

Not sure of that documentary is from the book, or different. I enjoyed the interviews with guys he'd worked with during Nam and after, and the fact they didn't gloss over the fact he was apparently very ruthless and perhaps tad crazy. Also makes it clear his exploits weighed heavily on him later in life.

HKGuns
06-16-21, 12:44
Illustrates the old wisdom of Uncle Frank very nicely. "NEVER pick a fight with a short guy, they go straight to meaner than a mad dog because it's either win big or lose big with no outcomes in between."

Being a 5'5" wrestler, those are wise words. I'll go all ape-shit on yo @ss.

flenna
06-16-21, 12:44
Not sure of that documentary is from the book, or different. I enjoyed the interviews with guys he'd worked with during Nam and after, and the fact they didn't gloss over the fact he was apparently very ruthless and perhaps tad crazy. Also makes it clear his exploits weighed heavily on him later in life.

It is the same, the author of the book (a police officer who befriended Flaherty) wrote he was working on a documentary, too. The book is called Giant Killer.

chuckman
06-16-21, 13:03
F**cking meat-eater. What a stud.

WillBrink
06-16-21, 13:52
It is the same, the author of the book (a police officer who befriended Flaherty) wrote he was working on a documentary, too. The book is called Giant Killer.

Yes, the LEO is central to the documentary, so same. Cool.

F**cking meat-eater. What a stud.

He was clearly a meat eater and literately didn't take prisoners.

Not everyone who worked with him a fan of his methods however.

kerplode
06-16-21, 15:55
Weird...Amazon says that video isn't available in my area. Wonder what's up with that? I know CO is full of commies, but still....

kerplode
06-16-21, 15:58
Ah...Figured it out. Appairently, there are two versions.

This one I'm allowed to watch: https://www.amazon.com/Giant-Killer-Finding-Flaherty-Directors/dp/B08NXZGVZJ

I'll check it out asap!

Diamondback
06-16-21, 16:44
Being a 5'5" wrestler, those are wise words. I'll go all ape-shit on yo @ss.

5'6", same story if I can't successfully evade, deter or de-escalate. :) You punch my ticket to Hell I'm gonna make damn sure you're my traveling companion on the trip...

I wonder if he knew those words would become a self-fulfilling prophecy in his own grandnephew, or maybe knew I was going to come out underheight and was trying to give me a lesson on how to survive it? LOL