PDA

View Full Version : Battle for Hill 448

chuckman
06-16-21, 13:55
June 15, 1966, considered one of the most heavily-decorated small-unit actions ever, the Marine recon platoon of 16 Marines and two corpsmen engaged in a battle that resulted in 1 MOH, 4 Navy Crosses, 13 Silver Stars, and each man received a PH.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Hill_488

titsonritz
06-16-21, 14:12
Reminds me of this one...
THE LAST STAND OF RECON TEAM KANSAS (https://ultimatesniper.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/The-Last-Stand-of-Recon-Team-Kansas.pdf)

flenna
06-16-21, 17:16
I’ve got the book by Ray Hildreth, who fought on Hill 448, and it is riveting to say the least. It was also documented in Small Unit Action in Vietnam by Bing West. And for another great one pick up The Last Stand of Fox Company, which is about a Marine company holding open a pass at the Chosin against thousands of Chinese.

ABNAK
06-16-21, 17:19
In that same timeframe Operation Hastings was taking place up near the DMZ. Lots of casualties in both AO's.

Hastings eventually became the DMZ Prairie ops and went on for some time, one into another.

chuckman
06-16-21, 17:36
I’ve got the book by Ray Hildreth, who fought on Hill 448, and it is riveting to say the least. It was also documented in Small Unit Action in Vietnam by Bing West. And for another great one pick up The Last Stand of Fox Company, which is about a Marine company holding open a pass at the Chosin against thousands of Chinese.

Bing West was THE authoritative historian for the Marine Corps. I've read some of his stuff, probably half. He's got a ton out there.

RE: 448, Jimmy Howard was a staff sergeant and the platoon sergeant, he picked up gunny meritoriously after the event. That platoon had been so near annihilation so many times, Howard's leadership kept them going. He got the MOH out of it.

I know about it but not in a lot of depth. The battle is legend in the recon community, and I would love to read more about it.

flenna
06-16-21, 17:56
Bing West was THE authoritative historian for the Marine Corps. I've read some of his stuff, probably half. He's got a ton out there.

RE: 448, Jimmy Howard was a staff sergeant and the platoon sergeant, he picked up gunny meritoriously after the event. That platoon had been so near annihilation so many times, Howard's leadership kept them going. He got the MOH out of it.

I know about it but not in a lot of depth. The battle is legend in the recon community, and I would love to read more about it.

Bing West’s The Village is another must read.

In that same timeframe Operation Hastings was taking place up near the DMZ. Lots of casualties in both AO's.

Hastings eventually became the DMZ Prairie ops and went on for some time, one into another.

My father was with 2/4 during that time and fought in Operation Hastings, Operation Texas and Operation Starlight. Starlight was his first big battle but he said Hastings and Texas were real meat grinders.

ABNAK
06-16-21, 18:11
My father was with 2/4 during that time and fought in Operation Hastings, Operation Texas and Operation Starlight. Starlight was his first big battle but he said Hastings and Texas were real meat grinders.

Starlight was against a main-force VC unit. Tough fight no doubt but Hastings was against the 324-B NVA division. I'd wager that is where he got the "meatgrinder" thought from.

chuckman
06-16-21, 18:16
Bing West’s The Village is another must read.

I read that book, The Village. Great read.

My dad was a career Marine, 54-75. He did three tours in Vietnam, first one was 12th Marines, second one was MACV-SOG, last was HMLA-167. He was in intelligence.

flenna
06-16-21, 21:35
I read that book, The Village. Great read.

My dad was a career Marine, 54-75. He did three tours in Vietnam, first one was 12th Marines, second one was MACV-SOG, last was HMLA-167. He was in intelligence.

My father served 64-84 and did three tours in Vietnam, all infantry; 65-66 with 2/4, 67-68 with 2/5 and 69-70 as an advisor.

chuckman
06-17-21, 09:05
My father served 64-84 and did three tours in Vietnam, all infantry; 65-66 with 2/4, 67-68 with 2/5 and 69-70 as an advisor.

My dad was there same years. I am sure they walked the same ground at some point.