PDA

View Full Version : Well, I Finally Broke Down & 'Hit The Purchase Button' !!

dpast32
06-16-21, 15:04
Well, I am truly pleased to report that after much going back & forth as to whether I really needed another Upper, I finally broke down & did it !! Honestly, I really didn't want to spend that much money for a URG but I simply will not buy one of other 'after market' models, as if I buy it, I fully expect it to work, as it should. I whittled down the options as much as possible, even to deleting the C/H as I already have a brand new BCM # 4 in my spare parts box, so that dropped it another $40. All totaled, it ran me $813.00, shipped, including the bullshit 7% state sales tax. However, I feel I ended up with a very nice 'complete BCM Upper,, w/ 14.5" SOCOM Bbl, P/W'd A2X Hider, along with a BCM BCG. Now, my 6520 & 6920 can get packaged up, while I use the Lower off of my Stag M-5. The only issue, if it is an issue to begin with is my Stag's Lower is marked '6.8 SPC', but I can live with that. Hey, if it really does bother me down the road, I'll look around for a used, 'Redi Mag', which will fully cover the 'problem' area.
So now, after all these years I finally will have an 14.5" unit to play with. I was honestly becoming concerned that if I held off too long, who knows if our 'protectors' in D.C. will see fit to introduce their already planned action to prevent / discontinue all online sales of firearm components ? These days, I don't put anything past these idiots !! And also, THANKS to everyone for putting up with all my queries concerning a new Upper, I appreciate all the replies & advice !!

Best, dpast32

Red*Lion
06-16-21, 15:39
Nice. Better to bite the bullet and buy if you feel that you may not be able to do so in the future.

alx01
06-16-21, 18:20
Great choice. You won't regret it.

DG23
06-16-21, 19:08
Now, my 6520 & 6920 can get packaged up, while I use the Lower off of my Stag M-5. The only issue,

Why not shooting the 6920?

dpast32
06-17-21, 08:55
Well, that's always an option, if & when I ever really needed to. [ Both my Colt's are in absolutely perfect shape, as are my Stag M-5 & LMT 308-MWSE. ] In fact, making certain that I would have one, properly functioning 5.56 weapon always available, was the primary reason I wouldn't purchase any other Upper Group except Colt or BCM. [ That's not to say that their the only quality examples out there, as in LMT, LaRue, KAC, & so on, & on ! But, at the moment, any of those particular manufacturers are simply out of my price range. ] And as we're all aware, going BCM 'should' provide the overall level of quality I insist on. And, as I can't believe no-one has asked yet, why I went Carbine length, as opposed to Mid Length ? Well, I did seriously consider it, but due to my already possing a couple of Carbine length Rail units, along with assorted accessories geared towards Carbine length weapons. And lastly, I honestly haven't had any reliability issues / concerns related to that length Gas System. Just keep it relatively clean & especially properly lubricated, & it should do pretty much everything I expect of it. I keep in mind that I will not have any need, nor obligation to engage in extended fire-fights, where extensive testing has proven that yes, the Mid Length systems do appear more efficient. However, for my particular purposes & requirements, my Carbine should do just fine. THANKS Guys,

Best, dpast32

dpast32
06-17-21, 08:57
POST DELETED, due to 'duplicate posting'

dpast32
06-17-21, 11:51
WOW, & Maybe add another WOW !! I just received an E-Mail from BCM advising me that my ordered yesterday at around 13:00 has just been SHIPPED !! I've heard in the past that Bravo Company tended to ship their products out pretty quickly, but WOW !! Well, I guess that actually all they really had to do was P & W the Flash Hider on, but still, I remain amazed. Hopefully, it's been properly assembled, although from what I've heard I guess I shouldn't be concerned, I hope ?

Best, Dom P. / dpast32

Stickman
06-18-21, 06:44
Always nice to see additional weapons up and running. Just curious, but as you seem to be attentive to small details, what made you buy a lower that was labeled in a caliber like that?

dpast32
06-18-21, 11:04
Hey Stick, How are you ? Well, as you must recall, back about 2009 or thereabouts, the new, possible contender for the M4's caliber replacement was, at that particular time, the 6.8 SPC, 6.8 x 43. Personally, I felt that it truly did offer something over & above the 5.56, which IIRC, we were still issuing the M855 round. Soooo, 2 factors actually influenced me. Initially, I ordered just the complete Upper off of GBC, & planned on quitting there, after grabbing some ammo. Then, the seller offered me a pretty good deal if I took the Lower too. So that's how I ended up with a complete Stag Arms Model 5. I picked up 500+ rounds of then available Hornandy 110 'TAP' loads, half standard, half TAP Urban variety. Well, I don't have to tell you what became of the the 6.8 SPC, except for some limited hunting use ? ( It remains a quite viable 600 or so meter anti personnel & hunting round though, IMHO. ) Also, at that time, my Department was seeking to dump their old Colt SP1's, & I definitely consider 6.8 in an M4 configuration an excellent replacement due to numerous reasons. But, sadly, 'politics' won out, & we ended up with SIG 551 / 552's, which there's absolutely nothing wrong with, except I pet prefer the 6.8 for LE use, although we could argue one versus the other all day long, right ? Remember, 'live & learn'. I should have waited to see where the cartridge was going to go, but I got excited & jumped on the bandwagon so to speak. Soooo, at least now that Lower will indeed serve a purpose, rather than just sitting in my safe.Now, if I lived in a free State, I'd have that Stag cut back to say 8", add an efficient muzzle device, & have an awesome little SBR, as I'm sure you're aware, the 6.8 remains efficient even with an 8" bbl. But, that's not happening, at least in my lifetime anyway. For now, I'm happy with my new BCM Upper, just don't tell anyone it says 6.8 on it !!! Take care,

Best, Dom / dpast32

Spooky1
06-18-21, 13:24
Cant wait to see some pictures, hope she gives you plenty of years of enjoyment.

dpast32
06-24-21, 10:39
Good Morning Folks, Well, my BCM SOCOM Upper arrived the other day, & I'm finally getting around to checking it out, well almost, probably in an hour or so when I'm free. I've been debating on a Rear Sight assembly, because at the moment I currently have only 2 'cost effective' choices, or I could purchase another if I have to. My 2 options are, utilize the spare Colt A2 Handle off of my 6920 which I haven't used since coming off when I obtained the 6920 ? Or, just add the ARMS # 40 Flip Up Rear off my Stag M-5, which will no longer need it as I'll be using it's Lower for the new BCM Upper ? Option 3 is to buy an 'economy' Rear, as in an Magpul MBUS, for around $50 or so ? ( Yes, I've noted the knock off's on eBay for half that price, but I have enough trouble putting a 'quality' polymer Rear on a weapon, never mind the El-Cheapo variant !! And as I said earlier, buying an Upper is similar to buying a Pick Up truck. Every single little extra is an option, & when it's all said & done, you're well over the initial base price. Such is pretty much what I'm doing with my new purchase. After the Rear Sight, then I'll need a Rail System, which fortunately I've located a quality unit & at what I feel is an excellent price. ( Troy 7" 'Drop In' / FF, for $100 PPD ) Some may wonder why I'm not going with a more substantial Rail than the 7" unit, but I honestly have no need for anything longer. All that's getting attached to it is a White Light & perhaps an QD Swivel. I already have Optics available, so I'm good with that. ( Aim Point PRO - or - EoTech XPS-2 ) I could also mount my Leupold Patrol Rifle 1.5 x 4 Scope if I really had to, although right now it's on my LMT .308-MWS, & I can't see removing it to use on an M-4 type weapon ? All in all, I'm quite happy with my new BCM, & especially so that I managed to locate it for a fair price amongst all this almost criminal price gouging currently going on with some dealers & sellers. Right now, we all know that you simply can't go wrong by adding an additional URG to your collection, as who knows what we can expect tommorow to bring ? THANKS Guys,

Best, Dom P. / dpast32

Stickman
06-24-21, 10:48
Good call, I would love to see pics as well! I agree 6.8 seemed like it was going to become a standard item, but it died off real quick, and I’m really not sure why.

dpast32
06-24-21, 14:03
Yes, I too was somewhat baffled by the 6.8 SPC's such rapid demise ? I mean I for one seriously thought that had true potential to supplant the currently in use 5.56 M-855. It was purpose designed to require only a barrel, bolt, & magazine, while allowing everything else within the M-4 / M-16 format. IIRC, an 110 - 120 grain projectile at approximately 2,500 +/- for a mild loading should perform significantly better in regards to intermediate barrier penetration, along with enhanced impact at normally encountered combat ranges. [ Well, whatever they might be ? ] But, you & I both are aware just how nervous the Army Ordnance people get at the mere suggestion of a caliber change !! And of course, the monetary aspect of such an endeavor would surely be significant, even when taking about only 3 components ! I mean from what I observed at the time, the relative commercial infrastructure was in place, as there were numerous entities producing ammunition for it, with some Companies manufacturing some really efficient loadings. [ Such as SSA, Hornandy, ATK, etc. ] But, as promising as it appeared, the Government yet again chose to go the 'bandaid' route, simply updating the 855 to 855A1, & later the supposedly quite effective MK 318 'SOST' Round. Apparently the decision makers feel that due to our current 'Combined Arms' type of warfare, the new, upgraded / updated 5.56 NATO is sufficient for the modern battlefield ? The problem of course is they're not the guy in under heavy 7.62x39 fire trying to stop someone before he ends up in the same hole with him. Too bad, as I thought the 6.8 SPC would have truly been a step up for our Troops, & also for use by Law Enforcement personnel.

Best, Dom P.

AndyLate
06-24-21, 14:16
I just wanted to say that I have never regretted buying my BCM URG, and I know thats true for a lot of folks

Andy

dpast32
06-24-21, 16:16
Quick update on my new BCM URG. Yes, as many of us suspected, it's absolutely gorgeous. It mated up to my Stag Lower perfectly, nice & tight even without an Accu-Wedge. In fact, it took me a minute or so to seat the CH into the BCG, as I didn't order one as part of the package, I used the brand new BCM # 4 CH I have on hand. I threw on an ARMS # 40 Folding Rear, & all I need now is a Rail unit, which I plan on ordering next week. So far I'm very pleased with everything. As soon as get the Rail installed I'll try to get some photos posted. THANKS for all the interest & support Guys, I truly appreciate it !!

Best, Dom P.

M4Phantomas
06-28-21, 08:52
I hope, that you will enjoy time with your rifle. And I also hope you will never use it against real human-beings, heh)

dpast32
06-28-21, 14:44
THANKS, I think that we all here feel pretty much the same way. God forbid we're ever called upon to employ lethal force, and or even be put into a situation where lethal force is even contemplated. My personal philosophy is to basically adhere to the 'Use of Force Continuem', which I followed throughout my Law Enforcement career, & see no reason to deviate from it today now that I've Retired. As you may be aware, it 'escalates' from the bottom up, with your 1st & I should say foremost weapon is your mind & voice. I'm also a firm & long time advocate of O/C Gas, and Pepper Gas / Spray. Used properly, it very well may solve your 'force' requirements with no further escalation required.

Dom P.