PDA

View Full Version : Best MLOK Rail Covers

hammonje
06-16-21, 15:38
Building 6 middy 14.5" AR15s. All will have 13 - 13.5" MLOK rails from BCM, Centurion, ALG, MI and PSA. Will need a number of rail covers for comfort and heat protection. Looking for source in terms of quality and pricing considerations as I will need quite a few to dress up these girls.

Advice on placement is also welcome. Like to see what others thought processes are on gear placement. Thanks.

Spooky1
06-16-21, 19:33
I use the Magpul M-Lock Type 2 covers, once popped in they're not going anywhere and there super grippy.

pag23
06-16-21, 19:44
I like my Larue ones...

Warp
06-16-21, 19:48
I like Magpul Type 2. You can get a little fun mixing and matching colors to make patterns etc when you are buying that many. Use different middle piece inserts and the like.

Inkslinger
06-16-21, 19:54
I don’t know if they’re “the best”, but I have a set of these on my only rifle with a Mlok handguard and I like them.

https://www.slateblackindustries.com/slate-panels-3slot.html

titsonritz
06-16-21, 20:01
I really like my Railscales G10 XOS, they are stupid expensive but fit my Centurion CMR like they were designed for it and being G10 are imperious to heat. I'm using the Minidot version but there are other patterns too.

Rogue556
06-16-21, 22:28
I'm a big fan of the BCM covers.

The texture is aggressive enough to be of use. They sit very snug to the rail which prevents them from snagging and coming off. They can be easily modified to fit around any of the lights, mounts, hand stops, grips, switches, etc. that you may have on your handguard. They cover all sides of a seven sided handguard which gives a nice, round feel to the handguard. On top of all that, they are cheap.

gaspasser
06-17-21, 08:09
Griffin Armament has nice rail covers, black currently OOS, No wobble with great heat protection

06-17-21, 10:33
Griffin Armament has nice rail covers, black currently OOS, No wobble with great heat protection

Do you not get burned by the screws?

Circle_10
06-17-21, 10:39
I like the BCM ones. I have used both the Mlok and Keymod versions, the texture is the same on both.

AndyLate
06-17-21, 11:23
I like the BCM ones. I have used both the Mlok and Keymod versions, the texture is the same on both.

Same here, I like the grip and love the price.

would add that they do not provide a great deal of heat protection on my ALG V2 or V3 rails (I have Mlok and Keymod ALG rails).

Andy

P.S. I have not had a problem with loose BCM Mlok covers. The Keymod covers are really secure, though.

hammonje
06-17-21, 12:39
Thanks for the advice gents. Likely go with BCM for price. Like that they do not add much bulk to the rail.

JediGuy
06-17-21, 12:55
I have read repeatedly that the BCM M-LOK covers come loose. Not personal experience.

I like the appearance of Slate Black covers, but are those metal screws?

I like my Centurion covers, but as I recall, they were not particularly cheap. The screws do not impact the handguard itself, so less heat transfer. I haven’t run the 6960 hot, though.

I really like the Magpul Type 2. They are secure and have plenty of grip. They do get warm, but I can’t imagine worse than most other options.

Ergo isn’t too pricy and really seems like the East default option besides the Magpul Type 2. A different approach to the problem. They’ve been around forever.

Manta would be my next choice, if I wanted to try something different. Their 1913 covers are great.

ViniVidivici
06-17-21, 13:27

This is what I use on one gun, which can get very hot at times...work great, are rock solid.

No, you dont get burned by the screws.

Black_Sheep
06-17-21, 13:46
I like Magpul Type 2 covers. They are easy to install or remove, add minimal bulk to the rail and have a fairly aggressive texture. The price is pretty reasonable too...

Inkslinger
06-17-21, 13:49
As far as screws getting hot, I’ve never noticed. I have a SBR with an old Samson EVO handguard with nothing covering it, and I’ve never had a problem with things getting too hot. I do usually have gloves on, so without maybe…

JediGuy
06-17-21, 14:48
Not OP, but thanks for those commenting on the screws not being an issue for heat transfer. Good to know.

gaspasser
06-17-21, 15:10
Do you not get burned by the screws?

I also have no problem with heat from screws. I use the hand stop rail on my AR pistols. It comes with either the handstop or a plain panel for the six o'clock position.

JediGuy
09-17-22, 21:30
Neceothread here, but it’s not that old.

I picked up a Lunar Concepts Hot Pocket and just installed on my suppressed 11.5 (after removing Magpul Type 2 covers).
I like the idea and coverage, but…dang, this thing is slippery. Unless for a specific purpose, I have eschewed foregrips; not sure that I want to change that just because of the rail cover. We’ll see…