PDA

View Full Version : McCloskeys plead guilty to harassment and 4th degree assault

Buncheong
06-17-21, 19:37
Lawyers, no less. Imagine what would have been done to us regular folks with no professional background in litigation or laws.

”Mark and Patricia McCloskey, the St. Louis, Missouri couple filmed brandishing a rifle and a handgun at angry protesters that broke into their gated community last June, have agreed to pay fines and forfeit their weapons.”

https://www.rt.com/usa/526890-stlouis-couple-trial-protesters-guns/

Arik
06-17-21, 20:22
Didn't the governor say he was going to pardon them?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Tony617
06-17-21, 21:39
What make think that they didn’t buy more guns and ammo in the meantime? They seized the guns and they are going to be destroyed but they have the money to buy more.

AndyLate
06-17-21, 21:40
I am very disappointed in them, but we non-career criminals are at a huge disadvantage dealing with our "justice" system. I am sure they decided the fine and guns were cheaper than a trial would be.

Arik
06-17-21, 21:54
What make think that they didn’t buy more guns and ammo in the meantime? They seized the guns and they are going to be destroyed but they have the money to buy more.It read to me more like they can't have any.

titsonritz
06-17-21, 22:05
Pussies.

Twilk73
06-17-21, 22:15
Huge disappointment. This doesn't give me hope if I ever defend myself.

CRAMBONE
06-17-21, 22:16
Maybe LP/OPs are a good idea.

Engaging from alternate locations and such. ;)

Tony617
06-17-21, 23:12
It read to me more like they can't have any.

He plead guilty to a misdemeanor so unless he or his wife committed a felony he could buy guns again.

Wildcat
06-17-21, 23:17
Huge disappointment. This doesn't give me hope if I ever defend myself.

You need to know about the prosecutors in your AO.
Fortunately with last year's turmoil, you might have some information about their sympathies.

Arik
06-18-21, 01:09
He plead guilty to a misdemeanor so unless he or his wife committed a felony he could buy guns again.No he pleased guilty to "misdemeanor fourth-degree assault".

It's not always about felonies. By federal law if you have a pending DUI you can't buy a firearm. 3 DUI under federal law makes you a prohibited person.

In Pa a person who is prohibited by federal law from possessing or acquiring a firearm because of a conviction for a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence. It's not a felony! You'd have to know what 4th degree assault is in Missouri

CRAMBONE
06-18-21, 02:13
Am I the only one that thinks felones should have their gun ownership “rights” restored?

BoringGuy45
06-18-21, 05:44
Am I the only one that thinks felones should have their gun ownership “rights” restored?

I agree on a case-by-case basis. I don't think some white collar felony should bar a person for life from owning a firearm. I also don't think some dumb decision made when a person was young should either, if they actually turn their life around.

Inkslinger
06-18-21, 05:55

I’ve said that for years. Criminals are going to arm themselves regardless of what the law says. When I walk out my door in the morning, I just assume everyone is carrying a gun.

Averageman
06-18-21, 06:10
https://www.newsmax.com/newsmax-tv/markmccloskey-senate-missouri-pleadeal/2021/06/17/id/1025516/
Avoiding felony gun charges, Mark and Patricia McCloskey pleaded guilty to two misdemeanor charges Thursday, settling a legal battle over whether the gun-toting couple broke laws in holding guns as protesters broke the gate and walked through their neighborhood last year.

"He dropped all the felony charges, all the gun charges, and charged me with a crime that said I purposely placed other people in apprehension of imminent fear of physical injury — and, by God, I did it," McCloskey told Newsmax's "Greg Kelly Reports."

"That's what the guns were for. The guns were there to scare people off and make sure they didn't approach us. And that's what the guns did.

"That's what the Second Amendment was there for, and I couldn't say no to that one," he added.

McCloskey, a staunch conservative and supporter of former President Donald Trump, is running for Senate in Missouri and avoided jail time on "two felonies each that could land us four years in the slammer," he told host Greg Kelly

HMM
06-18-21, 07:01
In my opinion that is still BS. So the people that broke down a gate and barged in got nothing?!?!?!? No wonder our country is going to hell in a hand basket...

Arik
06-18-21, 07:18
I still want to know what happened to the governor's promise

joedirt199
06-18-21, 07:23
They are saving their money for the civil lawsuit about to come down. You know a bunch of those nonworking sobs just came down with a case of ptsd and can't get a job because someone pointed a gun at them. Just the tip of the iceberg.

ChattanoogaPhil
06-18-21, 08:18
"He dropped all the felony charges, all the gun charges, and charged me with a crime that said I purposely placed other people in apprehension of imminent fear of physical injury — and, by God, I did it," McCloskey told Newsmax's "Greg Kelly Reports."

"That's what the guns were for. The guns were there to scare people off and make sure they didn't approach us. And that's what the guns did.

-----

Mission accomplished.

joedirt199
06-18-21, 08:54
I am sure the argument that left them without a defense was they left the safety of their home to stand in the yard brandishing weapons. If they had stayed inside and watched from the windows then they would have been fine. If the crowd or people from the crowd started hitting your doors and windowstrying and get in, then you have the right to do work as you have no where left to secure yourself.

Arik
06-18-21, 11:00
I am sure the argument that left them without a defense was they left the safety of their home to stand in the yard brandishing weapons. If they had stayed inside and watched from the windows then they would have been fine. If the crowd or people from the crowd started hitting your doors and windowstrying and get in, then you have the right to do work as you have no where left to secure yourself.But it was a private street with a gate that had to be torn down in order to enter. The whole neighborhood was private property

ChattanoogaPhil
06-18-21, 11:20

I'm with ya. Federal government criminalizing the exercise of a constitutionally protected right is unconstitutional. As a practical matter, such prohibitions don't accomplish anything other than to burden the law-abiding.

Twilk73
06-18-21, 11:56
I'm with ya. Federal government criminalizing the exercise of a constitutionally protected right is unconstitutional. As a practical matter, such prohibitions don't accomplish anything other than to burden the law-abiding.

So should we riot at the court house there. Maybe burn it down? If only we where able to hold these traitors accountable. We don't have to burn it down but we can peacefully protest there.

joedirt199
06-18-21, 14:51
The mob was trespassing, which is a low misdemeanor to an infraction charge, you could argue they did felony property damage to the gate but that is still a crime against property and not persons. Defense of life is more reserved for life threatening cases and not people walking down the street. If the mob had threatened them in some manner then the show of force would be justified. Can't try someone on what you thought they were capable of doing but what they actually did. 20 years of law enforcement has taught me that the good folks get tired of the shit heads skirting the laws and getting away with breaking them, but when they take matters into their own hands the courts feel the good folks should have known better.

Diamondback
06-19-21, 00:05
Worth noting that historically, in many jurisdictions Disparity of Numbers has been considered a Deadly Force Threat in its own right.

SteyrAUG
06-19-21, 01:17
What make think that they didn’t buy more guns and ammo in the meantime? They seized the guns and they are going to be destroyed but they have the money to buy more.

It's not about logic or reason, it's about assigning blame to an inanimate object.

SteyrAUG
06-19-21, 01:19
I am very disappointed in them, but we non-career criminals are at a huge disadvantage dealing with our "justice" system. I am sure they decided the fine and guns were cheaper than a trial would be.

Yep, they decided to cut bait. They also probably couldn't care less about owning guns so long as their brother, uncle or whatever can still buy a gun and accidentally leave it at their house after a day at the range.

ChattanoogaPhil
06-21-21, 13:10
https://i.imgur.com/RGTNL6L.png

SteyrAUG
06-21-21, 17:01
https://i.imgur.com/RGTNL6L.png

That's a Zimmerman quality move.

DG23
06-21-21, 20:55
Yep, they decided to cut bait. They also probably couldn't care less about owning guns so long as their brother, uncle or whatever can still buy a gun and accidentally leave it at their house after a day at the range.

Guess it is clear that they can still legally own and possess firearms.

SteyrAUG
06-21-21, 22:54

-----

Mission accomplished.

Jeeze, just when I thought he couldn't be a bigger dumbass.

Guns are for when people stop listening to you telling them to get off your lawn.

ChattanoogaPhil
06-22-21, 05:55
I'm not so inclined to criticize homeowners defending themselves and property from the mob, particularly with the backdrop of mob violence and arson at the time. Average folks aren't trained operators dealing with mobs, but nor can they count on law enforcement like the calvary to come riding over the hill to save the day.

I believe he's now testing the waters for US Senate so the pic and remarks are likely aimed at making a bit of noise to attract possible donations.

https://i.imgur.com/u60ayp5.jpg

rocsteady
06-22-21, 12:31
I agree that the avg joe/josephine homeowner doesn't have a clue how to deal with a mob like these people saw. Add in what had been all over TV all of last year with the exact same "mostly peaceful protestors" then burning everything down. Plus if these "protestors" had burned down police stations and laid seige to federal buildings, not a stretch to believe they would have no issue doing the same to a private home that was much more vulnerable than the aforementioned targets.

Guess it teaches one to stay inside, keep it dark so you're not readily visible and do what you have to do if someone tries to light your place on fire? Going out for a show of force SHOULD be okay to keep things from escalating but the woke mob now knows for sure that they have the application of any law entirely on their side even if situation doesn't get violent. All in all, sure doesn't strike me as very comforting for Mr and Mrs homeowner across the nation.

P2Vaircrewman
06-22-21, 15:15
Just sit in your rocker with the 12 gauge propped against the wall next to you and smile and wave.

Spiffums
06-22-21, 20:27

Nope! Im in the camp of if you have fully paid your debt to society then your rights should be instantly unsuppressed. You can't restore a RIGHT because you can't take a RIGHT away. You can suppress it through use of force like Government does when you're incarcerated. As to the "then gang bangers would have guns again when they got out" well that's a self correcting problem because they would be right back in jail with their rights suppressed.

titsonritz
08-03-21, 19:16
And they are pardoned by Gov. Mike Parson. The artical states because the charges were misdemeanors, the McCloskeys did not face the possibility of losing their law licenses or their rights to own firearms. I wonder if they will ever see their guns again. Too bad the Wisconsin governor is a useless liberal turd or he'd pardon Kyle Rittenhouse.

Missouri Governor Pardons Gun-Waving St. Louis Lawyer Couple (https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2021-08-03/missouri-governor-pardons-gun-waving-st-louis-lawyer-couple)

utahjeepr
08-03-21, 19:59
You mean Wisconsin. He lives just across the border in IL but Kenosha is in WI.

titsonritz
08-03-21, 20:58
You mean Wisconsin. He lives just across the border in IL but Kenosha is in WI.

Yes my bad.

Straight Shooter
08-03-21, 22:18
PARDONED!! Great news & Im SURE the libtards are furious..an ADDED bonus.

WillBrink
08-05-21, 10:18
And they are pardoned by Gov. Mike Parson. The artical states because the charges were misdemeanors, the McCloskeys did not face the possibility of losing their law licenses or their rights to own firearms. I wonder if they will ever see their guns again. Too bad the Wisconsin governor is a useless liberal turd or he'd pardon Kyle Rittenhouse.

Missouri Governor Pardons Gun-Waving St. Louis Lawyer Couple (https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2021-08-03/missouri-governor-pardons-gun-waving-st-louis-lawyer-couple)

I'm feeling like that was all pre arranged theater, but what ever.

Arik
08-06-21, 07:32
I'm feeling like that was all pre arranged theater, but what ever.Well the governor did say that he would pardon them back when this all started

WillBrink
08-06-21, 09:28
Well the governor did say that he would pardon them back when this all started

I was not awares.

titsonritz
08-06-21, 12:37
I was not awares.

Yep, back in October...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/missouri-governor-says-hell-pardon-st-louis-couple-who-pointed-guns-at-protesters-after-indictment/ar-BB19O5vi?li=BBnbfcL