PDA

View Full Version : Magpul MOE and MIAD Grips tough to open

OH58D
12-09-08, 12:36
I just got these and have noticed these are a real booger to open at the bottom.:confused: If I am storing extra rounds, batteries, etc, I may need to get these out quick. Is this normal? I have used the ERGO grip in the past and can get the plug out of the bottom with ease.

Regards,
OH58D

markm
12-09-08, 12:40
My MIAD requires a little effort. But that's better than my MOE which just falls out when I shoot.... and thats with nothing in the grip.

OH58D
12-09-08, 12:49
My MIAD requires a little effort. But that's better than my MOE which just falls out when I shoot.... and thats with nothing in the grip.

Now that's not reassuring....

OH58D

markm
12-09-08, 13:17
Now that's not reassuring....

OH58D

It was suggested to me to buy an upgrades grip cover if I wanted to get serious about stowing something in the MOE grip. The cover that comes with the moe is a basic unit.

I don't store stuff in the grip anyway, so i didn't care. The MIAD... I would trust to hold stuff.

M1A2_Tanker
12-09-08, 13:17
Oddly enough, My 2 FDE MOE's inserts rattle like a mofo but they dont fall out. All 3 of my black MOE's take a tool (skrewdriver, knife, 5.56 round) to remove. The FDE's has an insert that doesn't have the MOE logo on it, and it doesnt have the little "cup" that the MOE marked ones have. I tried swapping them out to see if it was the inserts or the grips that were different sized and I cant tell because they rattle in some and are tight in others. But I expected that these parts are going to have varying tolerances. I wonder if it would be better to make the latch lever a little bigger without it catching on gear?:confused:

3CTactical
12-09-08, 15:30
I've had varying degrees of looseness with both the MIAD and th MOE - I just heated up the insert with a heat gun and bent the retaining tab out a little. Now all my inserts work fine in either the MOE or MIAD and I don't worry about them dropping out or rattling around anymore.

taliv
12-09-08, 17:10
my MIADx (qty 4) can be opened with a fingernail, but i have to get the right angle (i.e. invert the gun) to get enough leverage to do it)

my MOE is very loose. not sure if it rattles or falls out yet, as I haven't shot it (just got it a few days ago) but I have to say i was surprised at how cheap it seems compared to other magpul products. makes me VERY glad I got the CTX stocks last week instead of the MOE stocks. I'd have been hacked off if they fit like the MOE grip.

sfd_324
12-11-08, 17:50
My MOE regular cover also rattles....got to find a way to fix it or either try one of the upgrade storage options.

I just can't stand a rattle:mad:....makes the whole gun feel/sound cheap!:(

ZDL
12-11-08, 18:02
Neither my MOE or MIAD are difficult to open. I have large hands and fingers for the record.

Cover rattling? Geesh. :rolleyes:

Verbal Kint
12-11-08, 18:06
My MIAD grips lock up secure and, while they require some effort, they open fairly easily. Perfect, IMO, as I wouldn't want them popping open inadvertently. FWIW, I don't store anything in the grip anyway.

M1A2_Tanker
12-11-08, 19:02
Neither my MOE or MIAD are difficult to open. I have large hands and fingers for the record.

Cover rattling? Geesh. :rolleyes:

I bet your one of "those guys" who's truck rattles so bad it loses parts down the road :rolleyes:

ZDL
12-11-08, 19:14
I bet your one of "those guys" who's truck rattles so bad it loses parts down the road :rolleyes:

lol, I have to know how you arrived at this. How it's possible you took my comment about the plastic cover on the bottom of your AR15's grip, rattling all the way to me being some stereotype of "those guys" concerning the mechanical integrity of my personal vehicles.

I seriously laughed rather hard at that comment. Was it meant to be funny? Are you just kidding around with me? Or did you take offense to what I said and therefor retaliated with this gym? :confused: :D

neodecker
12-11-08, 19:21
I just got my MIAD today, and everything seems to fit nice and tight.

Littlelebowski
12-11-08, 19:24
Mine is difficult to open.

M1A2_Tanker
12-12-08, 10:23
It was meant to be funny. Seriously though the rattle is very annoying. I know it doesnt have any role in the function of the weapon. I didnt take any offense to the comment but it seemed right up there with the Anti-"fit and Finish" crowd.
The rattling vehicle just happens to be a pet peeve of mine is all :D

OH58D
12-12-08, 10:48
Well, since we are on this subject, I installed the MIAD last night on my COLT 6920. I found the largest back strap to be the best for me, and the smooth (no finger rest) front strap.

I went ahead and installed the roll pin in the back. I don't think I will ever need to change back straps, but then I was wondering if most users install the roll pin or not?

Regards,
OH58D

Verbal Kint
12-12-08, 11:16
I went ahead and installed the roll pin in the back. I don't think I will ever need to change back straps, but then I was wondering if most users install the roll pin or not?

Yep, installed it on mine after I found the right combo/fit that I wanted. I don't foresee myself wanting to change it out, or being in a position where I wouldn't have the time to use a punch to do so, so I went ahead and pinned it. I'm also the kind of person that, if a component has a means to securely fasten it, will make sure that it is secure.

Dave L.
12-12-08, 11:20
The MIAD... I would trust to hold stuff.

I have 4 MIAD's, all are a little though to open but I prefer that to the alternative.