PDA

View Full Version : Senior Enlisted Advisor to the JCS

Slater
06-29-21, 16:42
Is this a fairly new designation? First I've seen of these insignia:

https://tioh.army.mil/Catalog/HeraldryMulti.aspx?CategoryId=10902&grp=11&menu=Uniformed Services&from=recent

just a scout
06-29-21, 16:56
Has to be new. It’s eye watering these guys have time for that but can’t get anything else done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Grand58742
06-29-21, 17:48
Kinda odd it hasn't come up before now.

Slater
06-29-21, 17:53
Sounds like more job opportunities for E-9's to finish out their careers.

Apparently the position has been around since 2005, but it doesn't seem to get much press:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senior_Enlisted_Advisor_to_the_Chairman

TBAR_94
06-29-21, 18:02
It’s been around since 2012, at least—I remember covering it in class I had to take for the USAF. It seems like a good idea—if each service chief gets a senior enlisted advisor, why should the CJCS? The current one, Chief Colon-Lopez, is a true badass and has a ton of combat and SOF experience, I would tend to think he’s the right guy to be able to cut through DC shenanigans.

Slater
06-29-21, 18:08
Speaking from the USAF side, if the position of Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force went away tomorrow, 99.9% of the USAF wouldn't even notice.

Diamondback
06-29-21, 18:09
Sounds like more job opportunities for E-9's to finish out their careers.

Sounds like in some ways the Enlisted ranks need some parallel restructuring to the Officers I had started writing up a white-paper on... basically it was to keep four-stars only for JCS Chair, Service Chiefs and MAJCOMS and devolve the other billets to three-star. (And those four-stars would only hold the rank as long as they occupy the billet; unless the next assignment is a 4 or they retire they're back to 3.) Repeat with the Threes, but increase the time-in-grade before Mandatory Up-or-Out. And so on all the way down the ladder, along with adopting a proposal that individuals who are good at their jobs but not "material for the next rank" be allowed a Retain At Current Rank until retirement-eligible so they can continue giving service. Not every fighter pilot has the right stuff for squadron command, but that doesn't mean they can't still have value flying missions or as trainers and mentors to the next generation.

So, in this example, I'd say E-9's would be restricted to only the CMS AF/Army and similar, direct Senior Enlisted to the MAJCOMs and JCS, and they only keep the ninth stripe as line as they hold that billet unless they retire from it, or go back into the pool as an E-8.

just a scout
06-29-21, 18:52
Sounds like in some ways the Enlisted ranks need some parallel restructuring to the Officers I had started writing up a white-paper on... basically it was to keep four-stars only for JCS Chair, Service Chiefs and MAJCOMS and devolve the other billets to three-star. (And those four-stars would only hold the rank as long as they occupy the billet; unless the next assignment is a 4 or they retire they're back to 3.) Repeat with the Threes, but increase the time-in-grade before Mandatory Up-or-Out. And so on all the way down the ladder, along with adopting a proposal that individuals who are good at their jobs but not "material for the next rank" be allowed a Retain At Current Rank until retirement-eligible so they can continue giving service. Not every fighter pilot has the right stuff for squadron command, but that doesn't mean they can't still have value flying missions or as trainers and mentors to the next generation.

So, in this example, I'd say E-9's would be restricted to only the CMS AF/Army and similar, direct Senior Enlisted to the MAJCOMs and JCS, and they only keep the ninth stripe as line as they hold that billet unless they retire from it, or go back into the pool as an E-8.

I like it. Been pushing something similar to a few people the last few years.

ABNAK
06-29-21, 18:58

Does a fart in church seem a familiar comparison to what officially proposing this idea would be like?

Diamondback
06-29-21, 19:11
Does a fart in church seem a familiar comparison to what officially proposing this idea would be like?

Pfft. If it went over like a MERE fart in church it means it wasn't sweeping enough...

Diamondback
06-29-21, 19:13
I like it. Been pushing something similar to a few people the last few years.

Ex-officio, each four-star gets an assigned personal jet. At $20-40 million each, think about the recovery downsizing those billets would mean just in selling off the surplus planes...

Slater
06-29-21, 19:31
Maybe we need an E-10 grade - "Ultra Sergeant" :D

just a scout
06-29-21, 19:32
Ex-officio, each four-star gets an assigned personal jet. At $20-40 million each, think about the recovery downsizing those billets would mean just in selling off the surplus planes...

Don’t forget the staff company and company size PSD too.

Diamondback
06-29-21, 19:33
Maybe we need an E-10 grade - "Ultra Sergeant" :D

And maybe we should bring back five-stars for those "poor underpaid overworked REMF service chiefs"...*snort*