PDA

View Full Version : 300 BLK Basics

GH41
07-04-21, 20:25
Putting together an iron sighted 16" swamp rifle for light hunting use at the most. I will never shoot at live game past 100 yards. I have a 16" carbine gas Odin Works barrel and their adjustable gas block. Supersonic ammo only. Why should I have to run anything other than a standard carbine buffer and spring??

223to45
07-04-21, 20:35
Standard H buffer should be fine.

I run a H2 with mine.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

bamashooter
07-05-21, 07:19
Putting together an iron sighted 16" swamp rifle for light hunting use at the most. I will never shoot at live game past 100 yards. I have a 16" carbine gas Odin Works barrel and their adjustable gas block. Supersonic ammo only. Why should I have to run anything other than a standard carbine buffer and spring??

Perhaps you have a problem which could be solved with the change? Just because you want to? Cuz it's the cool thing to do? I give. Why?

GH41
07-05-21, 08:37
Perhaps you have a problem which could be solved with the change? Just because you want to? Cuz it's the cool thing to do? I give. Why?

If you would have said... Perhaps you have a problem which could be solved with a change I would understand your remarks. I have zero experience with 300BLK. My logic may be fuzzy but I am assuming that with the reduced chamber pressure of the 300 and my ability to dial the gas back I won't need any more spring or buffer weight.

themonk
07-05-21, 08:49
Suppressed or unsuppressed?

gaijin
07-05-21, 09:46
BCM used to recommend H3 with their uppers- shooting Supers.
I run those in a couple of mine without issue, shooting Supers/Unsuppressed.

GH41
07-05-21, 10:27
Suppressed or unsuppressed?

Carbine gas 16". No suppressor. Full power hunting ammo only.

themonk
07-05-21, 13:01
Generally the problem with 300 blk is not enough gas. If you dont care about subs and the gun works with a carbine buffer then rock on. I had a 16 that I ran with a H buffer but that's what I had laying around and I also shot it suppressed. I dont really see the point of an adjustable gas block if you're not going to shoot it suppressed.

What does Odin recommend for a buffer?

GH41
07-05-21, 20:38
Generally the problem with 300 blk is not enough gas. If you dont care about subs and the gun works with a carbine buffer then rock on. I had a 16 that I ran with a H buffer but that's what I had laying around and I also shot it suppressed. I dont really see the point of an adjustable gas block if you're not going to shoot it suppressed.

Odin sells every barrel with an adjustable block. My thought was better to have and not need it than need it and not have it. Why does it matter if the gas screw is wide open and not doing anything? I guess I'll deal with the problem if I have one using a carbine buffer and spring.

GH41
07-06-21, 17:46

Looks like we have disappearing post again tonight.. Odin said on that barrel to use the standard carbine buffer and adjust the gas as necessary. They said I might get away with using the H1 if I wanted to try it.

Coogan
08-10-21, 07:33
AAC (back in the good AAC days) built their 16" carbine gas MPW around a standard carbine buffer. While a study of one, my 16" MPW has been absolutely flawless using supers and subs, both suppressed and unsuppressed.