PDA

View Full Version : How good is HORNADY 9MM LUGER 147 GRAIN XTP

Pappabear
07-05-21, 19:26
Is this stuff good and what is a reasonable price for it? Found some for sale under a buck a round. Just thinking maybe???

PB

davidjinks
07-05-21, 20:05
Good velocity, mediocre expansion, excellent penetration, and solid accuracy. Price sounds good especially for today’s market.

I prefer the 124 grain if using the XTP bullet but definitely won’t turn away the 147.

Currently using Hornady Critical Duty 135 +P for my carry round.

Is this stuff good and what is a reasonable price for it? Found some for sale under a buck a round. Just thinking maybe???

PB

DG23
07-10-21, 08:22

PB

A few years back Midway had those bullets (not loaded cartridges) on clearance for CHEAP. Cheaper than no-name FMJ bullets were at the time cheap...

Post lady wussed out and left me a note to come to the PO to pick them all up. (too heavy for her to bring to the door)

Reloading 9mm IS cost effective when not loading plinking ammo.

ST911
07-10-21, 08:44
Is this stuff good and what is a reasonable price for it? Found some for sale under a buck a round. Just thinking maybe??? PB

Excellent feed profile and accuracy, deep penetrator, expansion is best in bare gel and quirky to poor after barriers. Historically popular as a subsonic round for suppression and SMGs. That bullet has been loaded by lots of people over the years.

1_click_off
07-10-21, 09:04
I reload a lot of 147gr xtp. It has fed fine in P30, VP9, G19, G17, M9A3, Kahr PM9…..

wil
07-10-21, 10:26
A few years back Midway had those bullets (not loaded cartridges) on clearance for CHEAP. Cheaper than no-name FMJ bullets were at the time cheap...

Post lady wussed out and left me a note to come to the PO to pick them all up. (too heavy for her to bring to the door)

Reloading 9mm IS cost effective when not loading plinking ammo.

I wonder if this is the same time-frame Cabelas had them on sale or clearance. Bought a LOT of them as this was during the obama panic, nothing available then these showed up same as your situation.
Priced cheaper than fmj bullets, made me wonder if they were getting rid of them owing they weren't very good.

These I use or keep in my 'rainy day' box.

Glad to read the experiences with these, that they feed reliably being most important to myself.

1_click_off
07-10-21, 11:32
I load the 240gr for 44mag rifle for a buddy. He deer hunts with them. Deer are always within a few yards of where they were shot if they don’t drop. He is real picky about how much meat gets destroyed, so they must mushroom well and retain mass. I also use the XTP for my old Dan Wesson 44mag. I know it is not fair to compare 44mag and 9mm.

I just wish I could get the HAP in the same weight as the 147gr I shoot in 9mm.

DG23
07-10-21, 12:02
I wonder if this is the same time-frame Cabelas had them on sale or clearance. Bought a LOT of them as this was during the obama panic, nothing available then these showed up same as your situation.
Priced cheaper than fmj bullets, made me wonder if they were getting rid of them owing they weren't very good.

Will need to dig through emails to narrow down the exact timeframe but want to say it was during the ammo salad days of the Trump years.

Back around then Midway was pretty regular about running common (items most guys have heard of) things on clearance for dirt cheap prices. Like - 'How the hell can they sell it this cheap?' pricing...

Clicked their 'clearance' / reloading button one time and they were selling Starline 9mm brass in bulk for a good bit less than the Starline dealer / drum pricing. (the price you get when you buy ten drums of brass or more direct from Starline)

A few weeks later they did the same with .45ACP Starline brass.

Then they did it with the nickel plated Starline offerings in the popular calibers.

Then Speer Gold Dot bullets...

That shit forced me to give up fast food and get serious about the sack lunches.

DG23
07-10-21, 12:13

The HAP line has got to be one of the greatest things ever for reloaders.

They make it where you really can practice / plink and do load work ups fairly inexpensively with darn near the same exact thing you would carry.

ST911
07-10-21, 12:25

The HAP line has got to be one of the greatest things ever for reloaders.

The HAP is a good bullet. Not a carry load, but feeds and shoots well.

wil
07-15-21, 11:04
Will need to dig through emails to narrow down the exact timeframe but want to say it was during the ammo salad days of the Trump years.

Back around then Midway was pretty regular about running common (items most guys have heard of) things on clearance for dirt cheap prices. Like - 'How the hell can they sell it this cheap?' pricing...

Clicked their 'clearance' / reloading button one time and they were selling Starline 9mm brass in bulk for a good bit less than the Starline dealer / drum pricing. (the price you get when you buy ten drums of brass or more direct from Starline)

A few weeks later they did the same with .45ACP Starline brass.

Then they did it with the nickel plated Starline offerings in the popular calibers.

Then Speer Gold Dot bullets...

That shit forced me to give up fast food and get serious about the sack lunches.

no need to go digging through emails. Back during the obama panic as everyone knows everything was 'out of stock, no backorder' everything else was gone, out of stock, etc. these were sitting there at cabelas and nobody was buying them. Made me wonder about them.

Figured something is better than nothing & at the rate things were going, when is that situation going to end? go ahead and get them while the getting was good.

They being hornady it was hard to think they're bad rounds in terms of reliability & so forth.

turnburglar
07-15-21, 15:16
If I found these 147 XTP cheaper than FMJ; I would be ecstatic.

LOL "Remember back when...."

BobinNC
07-16-21, 11:03
This may or my not be relevant to this post, but Bud's Gun Shop has both Hornady 9mm 124 grain +P and 9mm 135 grain P+ Critical Duty (both in 50 round boxes) for .60 cents a round ($29.99 a box). Lowest prices I've seen in months for good HP ammo. I just bought 200 rounds of the 124 gr +P as I've not use it before, and my Rem Golden Sabers 124's stock was getting a bit low.

Disciple
07-16-21, 12:23
This may or my not be relevant to this post, but Bud's Gun Shop has both Hornady 9mm 124 grain +P and 9mm 135 grain P+ Critical Duty (both in 50 round boxes) for .60 cents a round ($29.99 a box). Lowest prices I've seen in months for good HP ammo. I just bought 200 rounds of the 124 gr +P as I've not use it before, and my Rem Golden Sabers 124's stock was getting a bit low.

Qualified Professionals only.

Screwball
07-16-21, 13:08
The crimp on the Hornady XTP, as well as most Hornady 9mm loads, is awesome. Zero crimp jump in my 642-1.

Echo the rest of views of the round. Just figured I’d add that if someone is running it in a revolver.

Ron3
07-16-21, 13:20
I like XTP alot.

Great in .357 Auto. I got about 1185 fps IIRC from a Glock 32 I used to have with the factory Hornady load.

I'll bet the 140 and 158 gr XTP is great in .357 magnum, too.

I never understood Hornady claims of expansion thresholds. In various peoples testing they dont expand at the low velocities claimed.

I think they say 850 fps for the .355 bullets and there's no way. Its a good bullet but they seem to BS about its performance.

They are pretty quick to clog with fabric so be aware of that.

But they are still one of my favorites.

BobinNC
07-16-21, 13:39

Not hard to get that status from Bud's as any military veteran with a DD214 can Qualify as a Professional. The list is pretty long.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/qualified_professional_discounts.php

skipper49
07-17-21, 23:08
The Hornady 147 gr. XTP has, as stated earlier, has an excellent feed profile, and feeds perfectly through all my 9’s. From Micros through service size, smooth as silk. I’ve used them for years.

Skip

Pappabear
07-23-21, 16:59

I told a cop buddy who went and ordered 3 boxes, it was all they would allow in his cart, then somehow ( not sure how he didn't see this first) but cancelled his order because after shipping it was up to near $1.00 per bullet. Ive not known Buds to be shifty like this, but he said it was his second bad experience trying to use "Cops credentials only" purchases.

Anyone else have a similar experience ?

PB

BobinNC
07-23-21, 17:52
I don't know. My last order with Bud's for ammo under the "Qualified Professionals" label was July 7th, about 2 weeks ago. I bought two 50 round boxes of Hornady Critical Duty 9mm for $59.98 ($.60 cents a round), Plus: $10.00 Shipping, $4.73 in Tax, $.29 cents NRA Round up: Total $75.00. That doesn't seem excessive to me, but what do I know....I bought 2 other boxes a week or so before that, same price. I made it 2 orders because I wanted to try some first before I ordered more.

Pappabear
07-23-21, 18:35
I gotta wonder about my friends math.

PB

davidjinks
07-26-21, 18:43
I just added critical duty to my cart and it works out to .70 CPR for 3 boxes @ 50 rounds per box. I know it’s not what you were asking about but figured I’d give a heads up on cost. Not terrible for carry/duty ammo right now.

I gotta wonder about my friends math.

PB

wil
07-28-21, 09:29
If I found these 147 XTP cheaper than FMJ; I would be ecstatic.

LOL "Remember back when...."

I was very surprised at the time, absolutely nothing on shelves, these were sitting there and nobody was buying them.

I figured the shown price was a mistake of some sort at first, perhaps that's what others thought and didn't check the price.

Still odd they weren't being purchased, it was during the obama panic / shortage, seems like anything and everything was grabbed as soon as it became available.

bobbytucson
07-29-21, 22:03
i loaded a bunch for a match and they were tack drivers. thier profile also helps them advance up ramp into breach aswell and run reliable in all pistols even the picky cz guns. not sure how they do terminally after real world autopsy feedback but i know they are definitely better than hornadys poor performing critical defense crap. hornady got a bad rap because of critical defense

Woollymonster
07-30-21, 21:24
I like it. I hand load that bullet to max published pressure for use out of my Sig MPX carbine with 9” barrel. They are very accurate in this gun.

Check out the video on Lucky Gunner.

https://www.luckygunner.com/9mm-147-gr-jhp-xtp-hornady-25-rounds#geltest

Phattmatt1000
09-11-21, 13:09
Couple things I’ve seen on the last Hornady loaded, 147 grain XTPs I’ve purchased:

The serrations or skives on the bullet jacket were very inconsistent. Some much larger/deeper/longer than others (on the same bullet). Almost as if the bullet was manufactured unevenly.

The case mouth and primer are not sealed in any way. I’d get about 1-2 in 5 fail to fire (even with a second strike) after testing them soaking in water. About the same level of reliability as US made FMJ.

So so expansion in the tests I’ve seen online.

In my last outing with them, I had two rounds lock up my Glock 19 gen4. I could not manipulate the slide, when they were chambered. Had to briskly tap the rear sight on a 2x4 to eject the two rounds.

Tested them side by side a Federal 147 HST for bullet setback, by chambering them in the Glock. Hornady went from COAL of 1.104” to start. 1.073” after 10 chamberings. 1.055” after 20. HST went from 1.125 COAL to 1.124 after 20 chamberings.

Having said all that. I’ve had great luck with XTP bullets in general, especially when pushed fast and they’ve always been reliable and accurate for me. This was the Hornady “Custom” loading in the tan box.

ViniVidivici
09-11-21, 21:49
I'd buy it, Papabear, especially right now that's a good price.

I've loaded many 124gr XTPs in 9mm, and 155gr in .40. The .40 load, over 4.7gr Titegroup is one of the more accurate loads I've developed in .40.

And my 124gr XTP load, over 4.2gr Titegroup, is extremely accurate too.

Heck yes, that bullet profile will feed in anything.

I'd take some 147s at a good price.

1_click_off
10-02-21, 20:41
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010865576?pid=736198

Midway over stocked on 90 and 115gr XTP at the moment. Not the best price, but available.

Ron3
11-27-21, 08:36
I'd love to find some 147 gr xtp in a +p load now that I have a 9mm carbine.

Or, I might have to start loading for yet another caliber.

HKGuns
11-27-21, 10:01
At a dollar a round I may just consider liberating the 3+ cases of 9mm I have sitting in an ammo can and rely solely on my reloads. It ain’t SD ammo but most of it is quality shooting ammo.

Sheesh.

I reload XTP’s all the time and as far as I’m concerned they are gtg. Obviously I have no clue as to what a fair price is in this environment.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211127/9470f1e31b7171f546b2c5c03fd8c570.jpg