PDA

View Full Version : RIP actor William Smith

Slater
07-09-21, 15:57
Most of us older types will recall him from various movie and TV roles. He was the Spetznaz commander in 1984's "Red Dawn". That was actually him speaking Russian. Originally I thought it was just dubbed in.

He seems to have been a real Renaissance man (from an online obituary):

"Smith enlisted in the U.S. Air Force in 1951, won a boxing championship and served in the Korean War. Fluent in Russian, German, French and Serbo-Croatian, he caught the eye of the CIA and NSA, which gave him a teaching position within the agencies. But while working on his doctorate in foreign-language studies, he landed an acting contract at MGM."

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/william-smith-dies-actor-brawled-175137773.html

dpb1776
07-09-21, 16:12
I hate that. His bio literally read like the most interesting man in the world

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just a scout
07-09-21, 16:16
You don’t shoot the pig because the Fox stole a chicken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

titsonritz
07-09-21, 20:31
No! You would hunt down the fox, find where it lives and destroy it! How do we do this? Become a fox.

SteyrAUG
07-09-21, 20:38
Jesus, he was in at least one episode of every show I ever watched during the 1970s. Also was Conan's father in Conan the Barbarian who told him the riddle of steel.

titsonritz
07-09-21, 20:45
Jesus, he was in at least one episode of every show I ever watched during the 1970s. Also was Conan's father in Conan the Barbarian who told him the riddle of steel.

I was was just looking for that clip...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKMG-FdCGtM

COZ ZINZKI
07-10-21, 07:08
He had the Guinness Book record for sit ups for a while . WIKI or IMDB info.
Always a pleasure to watch his “bad boy” characters. RIP Mr. Smith.

The_War_Wagon
07-10-21, 07:23
Loved him in Red Dawn. Ended up seeing his other work much later, thanks to Cable TV.

utahjeepr
07-10-21, 08:17
RIP. His characters formed a lot of my childhood perceptions of what it meant to be "man". Right up there with "Magnum".

The_War_Wagon
07-13-21, 20:13
SPEAK of the devil! If you have FeTV, he's in Perry Mason s7e20 right now - The Case of the Frightened Fisherman. I'd just flipped over during a commercial break in something else, and there he was! :eek: