PDA

View Full Version : Value & Quality Check for Vortex 1x8 Strike Eagle Scope

dpast32
07-11-21, 15:36
Hi Guys, I'm getting ready to pick up another Scope for mid range use with a 7.62 / .308, but trying to do so without taking out another mortgage. From my intended use, I feel the Vortex 1-8x Strike Eagle should be just fine, but I always prefer to check with everyone here first, just in case I missed something ? I found the 1-8 for $400 including a Vortex Mount & Rings. I can take $100 off if I go with the 1-6x, but I prefer the 8x & feel it's worth the extra $100. Any comments / input will be appreciated, THANKS !

Disciple
07-11-21, 16:14
If you saw my late reply to your earlier scope thread I am impressed by the apparent quality-for-price of the Bushnell AR Optics 1-6x24mm BTR-1, and I didn't have to buy Chinese to get it. Have you looked at the 1-8X version of that scope?

wigbones
07-11-21, 16:26
You might also look at the Primary Arms 1-8x at around the $400 price range.

dpast32
07-12-21, 08:08
THANK YOU Gents for your input. Yes, I too was somewhat impressed with the Bushnell's features & relative quality, at least for an item within that particular price range. And as much as I try to avoid spending too much on firearms accessories these days, I wanted to make an one time purchase of a suitable optic for installation on either of my .308's. Currently, the LMT is set up for mid range applications, using my Leopold VX-R Patrol Rifle 1.25x4.5, but I'm thinking about moving that over to my SAI SOCOM, & using the new 1x8 for the LMT ? Eventually & hopefully when the product supply chain starts getting back to normal, I'd like to grab preferably a .260 Remington, or perhaps an 6.5 CM Bbl for the LMT, but that won't happen until they start becoming available again. I also have an older 1.5 x4 Weaver w/ German #4 Post & Crosshair which came on my Savage M-99 .358 Winchester. I realize it's got to be at least as old as the Savage, which is of 1977 vintage, but what a Scope it is ! Right now, I'm in the 'shopping stage', & still have a couple of candidates to check out, one of which is the mentioned 'Primary Arms' model. THANKS

wigbones
07-12-21, 19:07
Just an FYI, Primary Arms is running a 10% sitewide sale for the next couple days.

dpast32
07-13-21, 14:31
I'll tell you that the more I see, the more I like that Primary Arms 1-8x24mm SFP Riflescope w/ ACSS. I personally, probably just like everyone else, love that ACSS Reticle feature. I was debating about the 1-6x, but as it will be mounted on one of my 7.62's, I prefer to have the additional 2x available if needed, even with the max power distortion so prevalent with the lower priced LVPO's. Honestly, I was really leaning towards the Vortex Strike Eagle, also in 1-8x, but I'm seriously thinking about the Primary Arms product at this point. See what happens when I start following the Forums again !!

Hank6046
07-15-21, 11:46
Just from my experience, if you are going to get into Vortex (scopes specifically) you want to start at the Viper range and go up from there. I have had the Primary Arms 1-6 and it works well enough.

Illustrator76
07-22-21, 19:08
Just from my experience, if you are going to get into Vortex (scopes specifically) you want to start at the Viper range and go up from there. I have had the Primary Arms 1-6 and it works well enough.

This. And last time I looked europtic had a basically NEW Vortex Viper PST Gen II for $499.00. If you can spring for the extra $100, I HIGHLY suggest you go for that scope. I had the opportunity to check one out, and I don't think you'll be disappointed at all. It is only a 1-6 though.

dpast32
07-23-21, 10:00
Hey, THANK YOU Guys, I truly appreciate all the kind input ! As I'm sure all of you are aware, it's not at all a simple matter in determining which particular make, model, & or power range is the best suited for your purposes ? And, the more you look, it appears that the more uncertain I become. I have pretty much narrowed down my field to perhaps 3 - 4 specific models, which unfortunately are very similar in all their particulars. Which one I actually choose will probably depend upon which of them I happen to find either on sale, & or at the best price. It may sound that I'm being too frugal here, allowing price point to be the deciding factor, but they're all just so similar in performance, features, product & customer reviews, that 'price' does indeed appear to the deciding factor ?

everready73
07-23-21, 10:51
What options did you narrow it down to? Might know of a sale or coupon code to help you out. Or at least point you to a good vendor

Illustrator76
07-23-21, 12:54
Hey, THANK YOU Guys, I truly appreciate all the kind input ! As I'm sure all of you are aware, it's not at all a simple matter in determining which particular make, model, & or power range is the best suited for your purposes ? And, the more you look, it appears that the more uncertain I become. I have pretty much narrowed down my field to perhaps 3 - 4 specific models, which unfortunately are very similar in all their particulars. Which one I actually choose will probably depend upon which of them I happen to find either on sale, & or at the best price. It may sound that I'm being too frugal here, allowing price point to be the deciding factor, but they're all just so similar in performance, features, product & customer reviews, that 'price' does indeed appear to the deciding factor ?

Besides price, I think the MAIN other factor should be the reticle. Get the one with the reticle that you like the most. If you can squeeze out a bit more on price, you really should though. You know what they say: "Buy once, cry once." I've learned that the hard way. Trust me.

sjc3081
08-17-21, 07:08
Review of Strike Eagle 1x8. Great reviewer. Basically the scope has very poor clarity past 4 power.
https://youtu.be/lMhdGygZhbs