PDA

View Full Version : It's 2021, what's the new LE6920?

Coogan
07-17-21, 16:10
Given that the CR6920 may not be the same beast as the LE6920, who makes 2021's TDP M4 carbine in that magical $1,000 +/- range?

m4luvr
07-17-21, 16:20
i don’t think it matters right now. everyone is practicing, sighting in and stockpiling ammo waiting for the next shoe to drop.

ST911
07-17-21, 16:47
And the CR6920 is still a very viable choice.

Along with just about any offerings to your spec from the GTG makers.

SOLGW
07-17-21, 17:01
Given that the CR6920 may not be the same beast as the LE6920, who makes 2021's TDP M4 carbine in that magical $1,000 +/- range?We make a pretty solid Patrol Carbine.

I've always thought the 6920 was the yardstick everything else is measured against.
When we set out to make a simple duty rifle I had that in mind. Obviously we're using a midgas system... 16" barrel gassed at .076.
H buffer, sprinco action spring, individual HP/MPI 158c bolt, correct small parts etc

The torque values for castle nut, barrel but, gas key fastners etc are all correct. Aggressive staking, thread treatments, dry film on receiver extensions etc

I wanted to make a legitimately enhanced 6920.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Coogan
07-17-21, 17:20

Thank you for the info that the CR6920 is still viable!

We make a pretty solid Patrol Carbine.

I've always thought the 6920 was the yardstick everything else is measured against.
When we set out to make a simple duty rifle I had that in mind. Obviously we're using a midgas system... 16" barrel gassed at .076.
H buffer, sprinco action spring, individual HP/MPI 158c bolt, correct small parts etc

The torque values for castle nut, barrel but, gas key fastners etc are all correct. Aggressive staking, thread treatments, dry film on receiver extensions etc

This?: https://sonsoflibertygw.com/shop/sons-of-liberty-m4-patrol-rifle/

Looks good to me even thought not a M4 as you said....an option nonetheless.

SOLGW
07-17-21, 17:31

Looks good to me even thought not a M4 as you said....an option nonetheless.We make a rifle called the Legacy as well

Stickman
07-17-21, 17:39

Looks good to me even thought not a M4 as you said....an option nonetheless.

I would be interested in seeing that with a Centurion Arms C4 MLOK rail. The specs would be pretty close to perfect if it shot the way it should.

SOLGW
07-17-21, 17:48
I would be interested in seeing that with a Centurion Arms C4 MLOK rail. The specs would be pretty close to perfect if it shot the way it should.We use C4s all the time. I'm a big fan of Monty's work. It's a solid rail.

SOLGW
07-17-21, 17:53
I would be interested in seeing that with a Centurion Arms C4 MLOK rail. The specs would be pretty close to perfect if it shot the way it should.Obviously we could use some help in the photography department lol66135

SOLGW
07-17-21, 17:53
I would be interested in seeing that with a Centurion Arms C4 MLOK rail. The specs would be pretty close to perfect if it shot the way it should.Just saw the mlok part.
I'll get some for you this week.

Stickman
07-17-21, 18:06
Obviously we could use some help in the photography department lol66135

With the internet as intrinsic as it is in every day life and shopping for most people, good, clear photography makes a difference. A new 1911 company was asking me some questions, and I had to dumb it down to the point of telling them that if their website pictures were representative of their product, they were in big trouble. Please take that as just reinforcing what you already know, and not me taking cheap shots at you guys.

Coogan
07-17-21, 18:43
We make a rifle called the Legacy as well

This.

https://sonsoflibertygw.com/shop/the-legacy-16-mid-gas-liberty-fighting-trigger/

I like this. A lot.

Disciple
07-17-21, 21:49

Why H instead of H2, if you don't mind my asking?

SOLGW
07-17-21, 21:54
Why H instead of H2, if you don't mind my asking?I typically use H2 on carbine gas systems, and H on mids when using milspec buffer systems.
We use A5H2 across the board when using A5.
That gas impulse is a little more mild on the middy and with that sprinco blue the h is adequate.
You could use an H2, tho.

Im specing it to create the largest operational envelope... to include really anemic ammo without opening the port. It'll run hot or weak shit in that config...even suppressed.

MistoGators
07-18-21, 00:02
Given that the CR6920 may not be the same beast as the LE6920,
What makes you think that?

DG23
07-18-21, 10:48
What makes you think that?

Several threads here and elsewhere detail the differences. Not to mention side by side comparison videos on youtube...

Would personally prefer anything from SOLGW over the current Colt offerings if I was in the market to buy that type of rifle.

georgeib
07-18-21, 11:03
Obviously we could use some help in the photography department lol66135

With the internet as intrinsic as it is in every day life and shopping for most people, good, clear photography makes a difference. A new 1911 company was asking me some questions, and I had to dumb it down to the point of telling them that if their website pictures were representative of their product, they were in big trouble. Please take that as just reinforcing what you already know, and not me taking cheap shots at you guys.

Ah hum... I happen to know of an accomplished firearm photographer with tons of pictures on a certain firearm centric forum...

gaijin
07-18-21, 11:18
i don’t think it matters right now. everyone is practicing, sighting in and stockpiling ammo waiting for the next shoe to drop.

Ain’t that the truth.

Diamondback
07-18-21, 13:12
Ah hum... I happen to know of an accomplished firearm photographer with tons of pictures on a certain firearm centric forum...

But does his current employer have him on an Exclusive employment arrangement, or just as an independent contractor? It makes a huge difference in side-gig opportunities...

MistoGators
07-18-21, 17:31
Several threads here and elsewhere detail the differences. Not to mention side by side comparison videos on youtube...

Would personally prefer anything from SOLGW over the current Colt offerings if I was in the market to buy that type of rifle.

Such as?

VLODPG
07-18-21, 18:27

The torque values for castle nut, barrel but, gas key fasteners etc are all correct. Aggressive staking, thread treatments, dry film on receiver extensions etc

SOLGW guilds a solid product and is hard for my shop to keep your products in stock. Nice to see that your gas port size is not (unlike some companies) a secret.

arptsprt
07-18-21, 18:53
Please… for the love of all things Holy, NOBODY answer this. Please, just don’t…

Such as?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coogan
07-18-21, 21:18
Not a perfect LE6920 analogy but the guts are right as rain, the LMT SPM16 and BCM M4 Mod1 are what I have found thus far.

AndyLate
07-18-21, 23:38
Not a perfect LE6920 analogy but the guts are right as rain, the LMT SPM16 and BCM M4 Mod1 are what I have found thus far.

I agree but I think either will be well over $1k.

Andy

WillieThom
07-19-21, 00:21
Please… for the love of all things Holy, NOBODY answer this. Please, just don’t…

Dude says, “I’d literally pick any AR-15 from that one specific manufacturer if I were needing an AR” and yet someone still comes along and is like... “Which AR are ya talkin’ bout?”

And I’m amazed.

Coogan
07-19-21, 06:49
I agree but I think either will be well over $1k.

Andy

Yeah, the SPM16 with a MSRP of $1800+ is way overpriced IMHO for what it is. The BCM M4 Mod1 at ~$1250 is higher, too, but at least in the range of reality - I mean that's almost what LE6920s used to sell for before Sandy Hook.

AndyLate
07-19-21, 07:14
Yeah, the SPM16 with a MSRP of $1800+ is way overpriced IMHO for what it is. The BCM M4 Mod1 at ~$1250 is higher, too, but at least in the range of reality - I mean that's almost what LE6920s used to sell for before Sandy Hook.

I incorrectly assumed the BCM MOD 0 was priced significantly higher than the Colt. Both are currently out of stock, but G&R Tactical shows the BCM MOD 0 midlength less than $50 higher than the 6920. G&R does not list the BCM M4 MOD 1.

Andy

Dutch110
07-22-21, 10:11

Spent 10 years working for an enterprise ecommerce provider. Lots of big names on our platform from fashion to professional sports teams yadda yadda yadda. We had a dedicated creative studio and all they did was take product shots for our clients. One of the hardest things to do on the old interwebs is to mimic the tactile experience of being physically able to touch and handle the product for which you are shopping. Saw a lot of attempts at it come and go over the years. Even today its a compromise between good to great image processing and a really solid return / exchange process. Zappo's really pushed the envelope there with free exchanges and returns early on. Now it's the standard. Hard to do with firearms however......

Apoptotic
07-22-21, 14:59

I haven’t paid close attention to Colt for a few years. I have a couple of CR serial Colts; are they not to be depended upon like my older LE rifles?

Core781
07-22-21, 16:50

The only thing I can't wrap my brain around is your barrels? Not chromed? I would like to hear your reasoning behind your barrel materials choice: for educational purposes. Rooted as a Colt Defense purist and all. Also what's up with the lack of Blaster Guts on your website? I need a decent LPK for my 11.5" clone. :/ Hope all is well down there!

Pappabear
07-22-21, 17:36
Ive never owned a SOLGW rifle but IraqGunz gave them a big thumbs up, which is good enough for me. I did buy small parts kits from them that I never had issues with them.

PB

darknetone
07-22-21, 21:13
Well that interesting, I have a Colt LE6920 M4, and yeah it have been a pretty damn good rifle!

Core781
07-22-21, 21:51
Well that interesting, I have a Colt LE6920 M4, and yeah it have been a pretty damn good rifle!

My only complaint about my 6920 is the lower is not truly milspec due to the material left preventing a larger drop in trigger. The older Colts have the similar added crap to prevent auto including the open non milspec BCG. Colt has always gone the extra mile to differentiate their rifles from the real deal. Hope they stop this in newer models. The added weight in the lower is a negative, and doubtful a stiffer lower is beneficial. Added material on the upper would be beneficial and the weight would be a good trade off like the HK416.

I would like to see Colt Defense switch to a Geissele fore end or go with the 6940 type monolithic type without the heavy picatinny rails.

indianalex01
07-22-21, 23:50
I haven’t paid close attention to Colt for a few years. I have a couple of CR serial Colts; are they not to be depended upon like my older LE rifles?

Can you give details??? Don’t be that guy…

indianalex01
07-22-21, 23:55
My only complaint about my 6920 is the lower is not truly milspec due to the material left preventing a larger drop in trigger. The older Colts have the similar added crap to prevent auto including the open non milspec BCG. Colt has always gone the extra mile to differentiate their rifles from the real deal. Hope they stop this in newer models. The added weight in the lower is a negative, and doubtful a stiffer lower is beneficial. Added material on the upper would be beneficial and the weight would be a good trade off like the HK416.

I would like to see Colt Defense switch to a Geissele fore end or go with the 6940 type monolithic type without the heavy picatinny rails.

Your post doesn’t make sense. You say colt adds weight by adding the bridge on the lower to prevent full auto (adds 2 ounces max). Then you say that colt should go with a 6940 type rail (Heavy). Hk 416/Sig 516 front end heavy. You are all over the place with your post. Reel it in so it actually makes sense.

Also, pretty much any trigger drops in so another falsehood by you. Keep your fact in line. It can lead others to be believe misinformation. Read a little more before posting falsehoods. We will all be better for it.

Core781
07-23-21, 01:42
Your post doesn’t make sense. You say colt adds weight by adding the bridge on the lower to prevent full auto (adds 2 ounces max). Then you say that colt should go with a 6940 type rail (Heavy). Hk 416/Sig 516 front end heavy. You are all over the place with your post. Reel it in so it actually makes sense.

Also, pretty much any trigger drops in so another falsehood by you. Keep your fact in line. It can lead others to be believe misinformation. Read a little more before posting falsehoods. We will all be better for it.

You're confused. Read the details. I said add more material to the upper not lower: restore milspec. I also said monolithic without picatinny. I did not say anything about adding pistons or other HK upper features. Not all triggers drop in. Facts. Get over yourself.

call_me_ski
07-23-21, 06:04

New colts are still great rifles. A lot of people are making assumptions based upon things such as them moving to laser engraved markings instead of the old roll marks etc. If you are a serious user just drive on knowing you have a solid rifle and let the internet argue about the unimportant things.

VIP3R 237
07-23-21, 08:20
I have a CR6920 as well as a CR6940, and I’ve had a few LE6920’s in the past. The new colts are more consistent with their finishing, and the Rosco supplied barrels are fabulous shooters that are properly gassed. I believe the new CR line is as good as the previous LE models and may actually a step up in quality. I get some are less than pleased with the new markings but it makes sense from a manufacturing standpoint.

Here’s a great article https://looserounds.com/2021/02/01/colt-cr6920-carbine/

New colts are still great rifles. A lot of people are making assumptions based upon things such as them moving to laser engraved markings instead of the old roll marks etc. If you are a serious user just drive on knowing you have a solid rifle and let the internet argue about the unimportant things.

MistoGators
07-23-21, 08:34
Exactly, the only thing different are the markings. Unlike what supposed "experts" were claiming earlier in this thread.

NoveskeFan
07-23-21, 09:00
The only thing I can't wrap my brain around is your barrels? Not chromed? I would like to hear your reasoning behind your barrel materials choice: for educational purposes. Rooted as a Colt Defense purist and all. Also what's up with the lack of Blaster Guts on your website? I need a decent LPK for my 11.5" clone. :/ Hope all is well down there!

Hopefully it's ok to post this:

https://youtu.be/K8aIsBpdhz0

ST911
07-23-21, 09:16
Here's last thread on the CR6920s for reference: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?229885-CR6920

indianalex01
07-23-21, 09:38
You're confused. Read the details. I said add more material to the upper not lower: restore milspec. I also said monolithic without picatinny. I did not say anything about adding pistons or other HK upper features. Not all triggers drop in. Facts. Get over yourself.

Monolithics are heavier. Adding more material adds weight. You brought up piston guns. I never brought up triggers. You post makes no sense. No need to make it personal with “getting over myself”. Your post made no sense. Full of contradictions.

Core781
07-23-21, 11:47
Hopefully it's ok to post this:

https://youtu.be/K8aIsBpdhz0

Thanks for the explanation. The senior members I have chatted with over the years had suggested this was the case. But they seemed to insist on chrome lining. Probably due to not knowing the average spread of chrome versus melonite.

Core781
07-23-21, 12:04
Monolithics are heavier. Adding more material adds weight. You brought up piston guns. I never brought up triggers. You post makes no sense. No need to make it personal with “getting over myself”. Your post made no sense. Full of contradictions.

I did not elaborate but my post seems pretty simple and clear to me.

- I do not like Colt's lower: because it not milspec. It has added material that fills up space that could otherwise me utilized.

- I would like to see a lighter monolithic upper on the new Colt carbine. No picatinny rails.

You started spouting off about "misinformation" and "no sense" and "contradictions." What I said is 100% fact about Colts lower. What I said about the upper is what I want to see Colt do to their new carbine. I also suggested a Geiselle type rail is also a good option.

Your replies seem to be more emotional than rooted in fact. But honestly its not my duty to explain myself to you until you understand. It gets personal when you criticize someone simply because you fail to grasp what they said. I had a professor in college who thought he was brilliant: and when students who were undoubtedly more intelligent wrote essays on various subject he would belittle and scoff at them, simply because he could not understand their concepts. Don't be like him: explain yourself without spouting off blanket terms like nonsensical, misinformation, etc. Get to the meat of the issue and explain. Because honestly I see no merit in your criticism based on your two replies.

DG23
07-23-21, 15:41

Really. Care to name one trigger that will not fit due to the extra material where the auto sear goes???

VIP3R 237
07-23-21, 15:45
I wish the M5 carbine would make it into production.

https://thecoltar15resource.com/2021/05/02/colt-m5-carbine/

I did not elaborate but my post seems pretty simple and clear to me.

- I do not like Colt's lower: because it not milspec. It has added material that fills up space that could otherwise me utilized.

- I would like to see a lighter monolithic upper on the new Colt carbine. No picatinny rails.

Hammer_Man
07-23-21, 16:00

Me too, it looks like a nice update to their products. I think Colt is really dumb for not offering it.

indianalex01
07-23-21, 16:10
Really. Care to name one trigger that will not fit due to the extra material where the auto sear goes???

Don’t waste you time with the guy. He makes everything personal. DG23 are right about triggers. Also he don’t like colt lowers because they aren’t milspec. Most lowers aren’t milspec then because they don’t have the M16 cut and or sear cut.

Next he will tell you how you feel and you are full of yourself instead of just explaining. His type always have to put people down instead of just explaining. Again, don’t waist your time.

DG23
07-23-21, 16:16
Don’t waste you time with the guy. He makes everything personal. You are right about triggers. Also he don’t like colt lowers because they aren’t milspec. Most lowers aren’t milspec then because they don’t have the M16 cut and or sear cut.

My guess is that he is butt hurt because he can't just drop in all the FA parts (and the auto sear) and do an illegal conversion.

I honestly can't think of any other reason one would need that material removed.

indianalex01
07-23-21, 16:24
Yea probably. Good post.

Hulkstr8
07-23-21, 16:28
My guess is that he is butt hurt because he can't just drop in all the FA parts (and the auto sear) and do an illegal conversion.

I honestly can't think of any other reason one would need that material removed.

kinda a weird flex trying to shame someone for wanting the full auto cut/shelf. We're all thought criminals here.

VIP3R 237
07-23-21, 16:44
Also for those who are looking for the M4 marked LE 6920, Clyde armory has a few in stock

https://clydearmory.com/colt-le6920-1/

Spooky1
07-23-21, 16:59

Thanks for posting that link, I don't believe I have seen that Colt before, I would LOVE to have a 14.5 P&W !

call_me_ski
07-23-21, 17:18

Not him but I believe the AR Gold triggers will not fit.

Core781
07-23-21, 18:45
FRT-15.

Core781
07-23-21, 18:50
kinda a weird flex trying to shame someone for wanting the full auto cut/shelf. We're all thought criminals here.
I agree. You know what they say about assumptions. I could not drop a FRT-15 into my newer 6920 and a number of others. Cant wait to hear what these geniuses have to say next..

indianalex01
07-23-21, 18:52
Also for those who are looking for the M4 marked LE 6920, Clyde armory has a few in stock

https://clydearmory.com/colt-le6920-1/
Those aren’t LE marked. They are CR with M4 Carbine marked. Still great though.

indianalex01
07-23-21, 18:59
Some of you crying about milspec this or that Because you can’t get a M16 cut lower. Get an SOT license and stop the Whining. Grow up.
Grown men like little babies.nut up and get the SOT. Go cry to your wives and not other men on here for Gods sake.

Spikes tactical will sell you a M16 cut lower but it doesn’t have the auto sear hole. You would need a jig for that. Nobody sells a “MilSpec” legally. I have bought 4 from them. Another company sells them on GB. Go get one and stop the crying.

Most people don’t want a trigger that isn’t drop in on an AR….

Core781
07-23-21, 19:07
Some of you crying about milspec this or that Because you can’t get a M16 cut lower. Get an SOT license and stop the Whining. Grow up.
Grown men like little babies.nut up and get the SOT. Go cry to your wives and not other men on here for Gods sake.

Spikes tactical will sell you a M16 cut lower but it doesn’t have the auto sear hole. You would need a jig for that. Nobody sells a “MilSpec” legally. I have bought 4 from them. Another company sells them on GB. Go get one and stop the crying.

We all know where to go to get a milspec lowers. I like E2 myself. No one is crying here so stop with the butthurt. And I might suggest you stop trying to tell others what to do, and phrase it as advice. You sound absurd with your rants: this is why I said get over yourself. Do you talk to people like this in person?

indianalex01
07-23-21, 19:10
Letting people know where to get an M16 cut lower from a legal source is ok. I don’t care what you think I should do to be honest. You are nobody to me. I don’t need your advice.

Core781
07-23-21, 19:12
Letting people know where to get an M16 cut lower from a legal source is ok. I don’t care what you think I should do to be honest. You are nobody to me. I don’t need your advice.
Okay sunshine.

indianalex01
07-23-21, 20:01
Aside from the non sense, the latest Colt 6920’s are solid. The ones that someone linked that are M4 Carbine marked are a good buy I think. Colt 6920 are the real deal and as close to the Military weapons as you can probably get without an SOT license. For those that don’t know it’s cost 500$ a year to have one. It’s worth it.

Core781
07-23-21, 20:26
Aside from the non sense, the latest Colt 6920’s are solid. The ones that someone linked that are M4 Carbine marked are a good buy I think. Colt 6920 are the real deal and as close to the Military weapons as you can probably get without an SOT license. For those that don’t know it’s cost 500$ a year to have one. It’s worth it.

It's sad we have to pay a special tax to a unconstitutional bureau that was created to regulate and tax alcohol and was weaponized against gangsters using machine guns, to buy and sell an unconstitutional class (NFA) of firearm. The NFA is a joke almost as big as the ATF itself: both of which violate Article VI via the Second Amendment. Do the new 6920's still have the extra material in the lower?

Spooky1
07-23-21, 20:27
Don't want to derail this but what year do some of yall think is the best year for Colt AR's?

My Dad had 2 and when he passed away they were left to me so I never bought any Colt AR's I purchased different brands because I like to try different things.

Thanks.

indianalex01
07-23-21, 20:46
It's sad we have to pay a special tax to a unconstitutional bureau that was created to regulate and tax alcohol and was weaponized against gangsters using machine guns, to buy and sell an unconstitutional class (NFA) of firearm. The NFA is a joke almost as big as the ATF itself: both of which violate Article VI via the Second Amendment. Do the new 6920's still have the extra material in the lower?

I agree with you 100%. As far as I know they still have the extra material in the lower.

Core781
07-23-21, 21:01
Don't want to derail this but what year do some of yall think is the best year for Colt AR's?

My Dad had 2 and when he passed away they were left to me so I never bought any Colt AR's I purchased different brands because I like to try different things.

Thanks.

From what I have seen the Colt Defense carbines made between 2009 and current are very well made. I have a 2001 that has some minor QC issues: does not effect function. The non M16 BCG and H buffer are a bit light and its over gassed. The FCG is match grade from the factory but feels horrible until I stoned it and greased it. The carrier has abnormal machining on the bottom where the hammer contacts it. The newest I have is really nice. Many of the issues they had seemed to be ironed out for the most part. For a while triggers were a hit or miss, folks had machine issues mostly blemishes. The quality seemed to pick up around 2009 from what I have seen. Folks still find minor issues here and there. The budget non Defense rifles are made of inferior materials, folks were running into parts that were not holding up well. The gas tubes were differed part numbers, and very thin versus Colt Defense tubes. I called Colt and they told me the parts are different on commercial models known as Expanse. Any LE, OEM, or Pro should be made with military grade parts. I have seen some older Law Enforcement Use and Government Only models that are incredibly well made also. You really have to inspect them ultimately, but any new model other than Expanse is a solid platform for duty use.

Core781
07-23-21, 21:05
I agree with you 100%. As far as I know they still have the extra material in the lower.

Thanks. 👍

indianalex01
07-23-21, 22:26
From what I have seen the Colt Defense carbines made between 2009 and current are very well made. I have a 2001 that has some minor QC issues: does not effect function. The non M16 BCG and H buffer are a bit light and its over gassed. The FCG is match grade from the factory but feels horrible until I stoned it and greased it. The carrier has abnormal machining on the bottom where the hammer contacts it. The newest I have is really nice. Many of the issues they had seemed to be ironed out for the most part. For a while triggers were a hit or miss, folks had machine issues mostly blemishes. The quality seemed to pick up around 2009 from what I have seen. Folks still find minor issues here and there. The budget non Defense rifles are made of inferior materials, folks were running into parts that were not holding up well. The gas tubes were differed part numbers, and very thin versus Colt Defense tubes. I called Colt and they told me the parts are different on commercial models known as Expanse. Any LE, OEM, or Pro should be made with military grade parts. I have seen some older Law Enforcement Use and Government Only models that are incredibly well made also. You really have to inspect them ultimately, but any new model other than Expanse is a solid platform for duty use.

The Expanse rifles (short lived) wernt made by colt. They sucked. Colt had a 2nd party make them for them. A complete embarrassment for colt to put their name on that travesty. The 6920’s of all years are solid. As far as I know the expanse line was not called 6920. Colt 6920, 6720, 6721, 6960, 6940 and 6920-EPR are all top notch weapons I feel you can trust your life on.

Spooky1
07-24-21, 06:08
Cool, thanks for the info! 🤙

DG23
07-24-21, 08:16
The budget non Defense rifles are made of inferior materials, folks were running into parts that were not holding up well. The gas tubes were differed part numbers, and very thin versus Colt Defense tubes. I called Colt and they told me the parts are different on commercial models known as Expanse. Any LE, OEM, or Pro should be made with military grade parts. I have seen some older Law Enforcement Use and Government Only models that are incredibly well made also. You really have to inspect them ultimately, but any new model other than Expanse is a solid platform for duty use.

Depends on the exact model of Expanse and when you bought it. Towards the end of that series they were pretty much pulling parts from the 6920 bins and selling them under the Expanse name. If you bought at the beginning of the series you may (most likely) have got a rifle missing bits (ejection port door, forward assist) and / or containing a lot of non-Colt parts.

The Expanse rifles I bought (towards the end of that series) are darn near identical to the 6920 carbines I have less the barrel, trigger group and buffer. (aside of being assembled on a different line and minor things like staking being different) Same exact LE prefix M4 Colt lowers on all...

With a detailed inspection that actually involves measuring things and shooting them side by side (Expanse vs 6920) - I can't come to the same conclusions that you did with regard to the Expanse samples I have. :no:

The triggers are lighter and the barrels are more accurate. :)

DG23
07-24-21, 08:34
The Expanse rifles (short lived) wernt made by colt. They sucked. Colt had a 2nd party make them for them. A complete embarrassment for colt to put their name on that travesty. The 6920’s of all years are solid. As far as I know the expanse line was not called 6920. Colt 6920, 6720, 6721, 6960, 6940 and 6920-EPR are all top notch weapons I feel you can trust your life on.

https://i.imgur.com/9oLeYfR.jpg

If I take all three of these to the range and shoot for groups out of the same ammo can / lot - That one on the far right is my least favorite. :)

Disciple
07-24-21, 10:06
What do they call that middle profile?

07-26-21, 12:58

Thanks.

I like 2009-current as they have M16 BCG, standard pins, no sear block in the lower.

indianalex01
07-26-21, 16:15
What do they call that middle profile?

SOCOM profile

Disciple
07-26-21, 16:36
SOCOM profile

I thought this was the SOCOM profile?

https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-standard-16-m4-socom-barrel-stripped/

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/14-5-m4-socom-barrel-assembly-with-sight-tower-prod71337.aspx

https://cdn-fsly.yottaa.net/53ff2f503c881650e20004c9/www.brownells.com/v~4b.117/userdocs/products/p_160000399_3.jpg

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-16115g8ghe/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/1696/5312/BCM-BRL-s-M4 SOCOM 16 STD-2__58795.1571674595.jpg

Core781
07-26-21, 16:56
I like 2009-current as they have M16 BCG, standard pins, no sear block in the lower.

I'm not sure about the sear blocks being dropped in 2009? Someone was just saying they still block the sear: I cant vouch for them but he says hes a FFL and NFA. They stopped the big pins a long time ago, not sure of the year: I feel like it was pre ban when they made them and dropped them post ban. But they do all have M16 BCG now.

indianalex01
07-26-21, 17:01

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/14-5-m4-socom-barrel-assembly-with-sight-tower-prod71337.aspx

https://cdn-fsly.yottaa.net/53ff2f503c881650e20004c9/www.brownells.com/v~4b.117/userdocs/products/p_160000399_3.jpg

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-16115g8ghe/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/1696/5312/BCM-BRL-s-M4 SOCOM 16 STD-2__58795.1571674595.jpg

Technically yes you are right. I was just being vague. The middle one is a medium weight socom type of profile. Left was heavy and right was government profile.

Colt changed the away from large trigger pins in early 2009.

Core781
07-26-21, 17:05

The SOCOM has the cut to mount the M203. Early SOCOMs some didn't have the cut. Its basically a mid weight barrel between HBC and M4. The early Crane barrels are pretty rare but had some interesting characteristics and variations until they standardized them. I have several Colt contract overruns, they are very nice, I can shoot a playing card sized group at 400 meters with a RISII with a red dot and no magnification. Good stuff. Diver at ARFOR has some Crane barrel photos and Augie had some neat early barrels. Some folks turned down HBs yikes!

indianalex01
07-26-21, 17:07
Depends on the exact model of Expanse and when you bought it. Towards the end of that series they were pretty much pulling parts from the 6920 bins and selling them under the Expanse name. If you bought at the beginning of the series you may (most likely) have got a rifle missing bits (ejection port door, forward assist) and / or containing a lot of non-Colt parts.

The Expanse rifles I bought (towards the end of that series) are darn near identical to the 6920 carbines I have less the barrel, trigger group and buffer. (aside of being assembled on a different line and minor things like staking being different) Same exact LE prefix M4 Colt lowers on all...

With a detailed inspection that actually involves measuring things and shooting them side by side (Expanse vs 6920) - I can't come to the same conclusions that you did with regard to the Expanse samples I have. :no:

The triggers are lighter and the barrels are more accurate. :)

You are correct. Late model expanse rifles did have a lot of colt parts. The majority of them did not though.

Core781
07-26-21, 18:15
I had an Expanse gas tube sold to me by a guy who was well intentioned. When I went to install it, I flexed it and compared to a Colt Defense tube and its an entirely different tube. Much thinner and different stainless in appearance. I called Colt and they explained they were different part numbers: and not to exchange parts.. One of the forum guys made a parts list comparison. What would we do without the passionate among us? The seller was a bit taken aback when I explained it to him, but he paid for the return and sweetened the deal with a S FCG for a reasonable price. The tube was easily bendable: you can flex a military rifle tube but it takes a lot of effort to flex a military carbine tube due to its shorter length. When I took an armorers course years ago the instructor demonstrated how rugged a milspec carbine has tube was but placing it in a vise and flexing it. From my experience different manufacturers use different quality tubes and Colt Defense is worth the extra scratch.

DG23
07-26-21, 18:35
The SOCOM has the cut to mount the M203. Early SOCOMs some didn't have the cut.

Despise those cuts... Glad I have plenty of barrels without them.

If I know I will not be running a grenade launcher I can't for the life of me see how they could possibly make the barrel better in any way.

Core781
07-26-21, 19:23
Despise those cuts... Glad I have plenty of barrels without them.

If I know I will not be running a grenade launcher I can't for the life of me see how they could possibly make the barrel better in any way.

They have some nice options to hang a tube/masterkey these days if you're into that kind of thing.