PDA

View Full Version : M-65 Field Jacket from Operation EAGLE CLAW

Korgs130
07-24-21, 14:33
Cool video with former Delta Force operator Sgt Major Phil Hanson. A veteran of Operation EAGLE CLAW, he reviews the modified M-65 Field Jacket he wore on the mission. Among other unique features it has pouches to store 10 spare magazines for the suppressed M-3A1 Grease Gun he carried on the mission. Col Charlie Beckwith had everyone turn in their jackets when they got back to Ft Bragg, but Sgt Maj Hansen turned in the spare jacket he had and kept the jacket he actually wore.

I read Col Beckwith’s book “The Delta Force” in the mid 80’s and remember his description of the jackets they wore. Awesome to finally see one.

https://youtu.be/HSqnG5l9wiM

In the second video Sgt Maj Hanson reviews the rest of the gear he wore and gives an in-depth description of how he customized his Grease Gun.

https://youtu.be/sbfRoKWEkQA

chuckman
07-24-21, 15:33
That's very cool and thanks for sharing.

Just goes to show sometimes the best way isn't some high-tech, high-cost thing.

mildot
07-24-21, 15:56
Cool video with former Delta Force operator Sgt Major Phil Hanson. A veteran of Operation EAGLE CLAW, he reviews the modified M-65 Field Jacket he wore on the mission. Among other unique features it has pouches to store 10 spare magazines for the suppressed M-3A1 Grease Gun he carried on the mission. Col Charlie Beckwith had everyone turn in their jackets when they got back to Ft Bragg, but Sgt Maj Hansen turned in the spare jacket he had and kept the jacket he actually wore.

I read Col Beckwith’s book “The Delta Force” in the mid 80’s and remember his description of the jackets they wore. Awesome to finally see one.

In the second video Sgt Maj Hanson reviews the rest of the gear he wore and gives an in-depth description of how he customized his Grease Gun.

That was a really good watch, I'm just amazed at the improvisation. Do any pics exist of the suppressed grease gun? as an armourer that would be awesome to see.

Endur
07-24-21, 16:17
Always cool to see the ingenuity of past warriors, and to see the lineage in of it in modern kit.

SteyrAUG
07-24-21, 16:47
That's very cool and thanks for sharing.

Just goes to show sometimes the best way isn't some high-tech, high-cost thing.

Yep, SOG did the same thing back in VN. Took what they had and modified it locally. If you read Plasters books on the group he discusses uniform modifications and how they repurposed M-14 magazine pouches for grenades and things like that.

And this is really what drove the creation of Blackhawk gear, former military guys who decided to make the stuff they wish they had.

jsbhike
07-24-21, 16:47
I thought for sure the boots were going to be Browning kangaroo leather. Never would have guessed from Kmart.

Korgs130
07-24-21, 18:22
That was a really good watch, I'm just amazed at the improvisation. Do any pics exist of the suppressed grease gun? as an armourer that would be awesome to see.

There are a few photos of the Unit in Egypt en-route to Masirah for the operation. If you zoom in guy I circled appears to be holding an suppressed M-3 with a light underneath the suppressor in his left hand.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210724/3cfd381bdf7795fa98d20a83c6e9eb3a.jpg

chuckman
07-24-21, 18:27
Yep, SOG did the same thing back in VN. Took what they had and modified it locally. If you read Plasters books on the group he discusses uniform modifications and how they repurposed M-14 magazine pouches for grenades and things like that.

And this is really what drove the creation of Blackhawk gear, former military guys who decided to make the stuff they wish they had.

I had taken a large ALICE ruck to a local company to make a sleeve near the radio pouch for a 3 liter hydration system. Then I had a couple modifications with the pockets and the kidney pad on the frame. I thought I was onto something, something new. Low and behold, about a week after I got this done someone sent me the catalog from Blackhawk lol. Just goes to show there's no such thing as an original idea.

SteyrAUG
07-24-21, 18:35
I had taken a large ALICE ruck to a local company to make a sleeve near the radio pouch for a 3 liter hydration system. Then I had a couple modifications with the pockets and the kidney pad on the frame. I thought I was onto something, something new. Low and behold, about a week after I got this done someone sent me the catalog from Blackhawk lol. Just goes to show there's no such thing as an original idea.

You guys just figured out the same solutions at different times. Only thing really good I can say about ALICE gear is it's very open to mods and updates. The stuff I've seen over the years blew my mind. It's amazing what you can do with ALICE straps, paracord and 100 mph tape.

jsbhike
07-24-21, 22:58

I was watching the M-65 video wondering if the Swiss magazine parka played a role or not.

Grand58742
07-25-21, 08:51

I was told at one point a lot of the Vietnam era Rangers (Lima Company Ranger types) that most of the guys that were issued pistols over there had a leather holster crafted locally with a thumb strap instead of the flap. I guess they didn't take to the flap style holster that was still issued for the 1911 and desired something more functional, i.e., easier to get at when you really need it.

One has to think a lot of non-issue pistols probably had the same type of holsters if they were carried. I know Hi-Powers were used pretty frequently by Special Operations types and one has to assume functional holsters were probably in high demand and sourced locally. Same might go for the other "non-standard" weapons carried by those guys at the time like the Swedish m/45. Here's an interesting take on an M-3 Grease Gun mag setup reportedly used in Vietnam:

https://i.servimg.com/u/f66/13/56/44/49/post-531.jpg

Sorry for the thread drift, but I've always found it interesting that in the absence of actual kit designed for a desperately needed purpose, our military has gone out and created (or had someone create) exactly what they needed.

Sam
07-25-21, 09:32
More thread drift. Captain Kenneth Bowra and one of his little fighters (either Montagnard or Cambodian). The Captain had a homemade AK chest rig for his AR. Love those XM guns.

https://i.imgur.com/vIDMHQV.jpg

Slater
07-25-21, 14:13
K-Mart boots. Who knew?

SteyrAUG
07-25-21, 20:01
I was told at one point a lot of the Vietnam era Rangers (Lima Company Ranger types) that most of the guys that were issued pistols over there had a leather holster crafted locally with a thumb strap instead of the flap. I guess they didn't take to the flap style holster that was still issued for the 1911 and desired something more functional, i.e., easier to get at when you really need it.

One has to think a lot of non-issue pistols probably had the same type of holsters if they were carried. I know Hi-Powers were used pretty frequently by Special Operations types and one has to assume functional holsters were probably in high demand and sourced locally. Same might go for the other "non-standard" weapons carried by those guys at the time like the Swedish m/45. Here's an interesting take on an M-3 Grease Gun mag setup reportedly used in Vietnam:

https://i.servimg.com/u/f66/13/56/44/49/post-531.jpg

Sorry for the thread drift, but I've always found it interesting that in the absence of actual kit designed for a desperately needed purpose, our military has gone out and created (or had someone create) exactly what they needed.

For years the Army had been using more or less that same shit that was used in WWII simply because they still had a LOT of it. Pretty much everyone who was in any kind of different unit that allowed modifications of gear did it.

They only need to get shot at once to think...GODDAM I need my extra mags to be RIGHT HERE next time and there was an entire cottage industry in VN that would make you whatever you needed. Most Rangers, LRRPs, SOG guys etc. were wearing Mamasan brand uniforms and gear.

CRAMBONE
07-26-21, 00:52
Why were they made to turn in the M65 jackets?

SteyrAUG
07-26-21, 02:36
Why were they made to turn in the M65 jackets?

Probably opsec, preventing the Unit from being identified by enemy agents based upon their custom black Rit dyed M-65s. I seriously laughed out loud with the comment about Fayetteville public washings machines being permanently dyed black.

Around the same time we were doing that using Rit dye to make our brown belts black and to make our white uniforms black. Of course everything actually ended up being a dark, dark gray but whatever.

mark5pt56
07-26-21, 06:28
For you history buffs, Mike Noell was known for copying gear, especially Eagle. He is also known to do what a poster mentioned, "take" a design, modification, etc. and make it for production. Yeah, I had a nice off side gear pouch made for me in which showed up in his line up. LBT (Doug M) on the other hand would make sure you had sometime of compensation and had a cool gun room to boot!
And yes I can offer a more complete history on these two. A lot of the team guys would know a good Rigger, learn themselves or bring stuff into LBT for mods.

Slater
07-26-21, 06:33
In colder climates, the M65's button-in liner was great. There was also an optional cold weather hood that you could button on, but it had that stupid white fake fur on it that deteriorated pretty fast.

Grand58742
07-26-21, 07:06
A lot of the team guys would know a good Rigger, learn themselves or bring stuff into LBT for mods.

That's pretty much how Tactical Tailor was started as well, no? At least from the conventional side.

chuckman
07-26-21, 08:16
For years the Army had been using more or less that same shit that was used in WWII simply because they still had a LOT of it. Pretty much everyone who was in any kind of different unit that allowed modifications of gear did it.

They only need to get shot at once to think...GODDAM I need my extra mags to be RIGHT HERE next time and there was an entire cottage industry in VN that would make you whatever you needed. Most Rangers, LRRPs, SOG guys etc. were wearing Mamasan brand uniforms and gear.

Tiger stripe was never "approved" by the Big Military, and never made for US forces. Those were entirely made in VN (in that time). There were several variations of that uniform.

A lot of the gear was the same: "hey local vendor, I need you to make xxxxx for me."

Re: contemporary gear, there were a couple upholstery shops around Jacksonville/Lejeune where we'd get stuff modified.

Joe Mamma
07-26-21, 09:13

Great vids Korgs130. Thank you for letting us know about these.

Joe Mamma

Sam
07-26-21, 12:17
There is also another video of the SGM talking about their homemade assault vests. They looked flimsy, more flimsy than airsoft vests. But I guess those vests were tougher than they look.

SteyrAUG
07-26-21, 19:27
Tiger stripe was never "approved" by the Big Military, and never made for US forces. Those were entirely made in VN (in that time). There were several variations of that uniform.

A lot of the gear was the same: "hey local vendor, I need you to make xxxxx for me."

Re: contemporary gear, there were a couple upholstery shops around Jacksonville/Lejeune where we'd get stuff modified.

Yep, Mamasan brand. With the possible exception of Navy in 1967. I have heard examples exist.

Funny thing is VN is still making authentic, 1967 vintage Tiger Stripe uniforms, just check ebay.

jsbhike
07-26-21, 20:09
For you history buffs, Mike Noell was known for copying gear, especially Eagle. He is also known to do what a poster mentioned, "take" a design, modification, etc. and make it for production. Yeah, I had a nice off side gear pouch made for me in which showed up in his line up. LBT (Doug M) on the other hand would make sure you had sometime of compensation and had a cool gun room to boot!
And yes I can offer a more complete history on these two. A lot of the team guys would know a good Rigger, learn themselves or bring stuff into LBT for mods.

I have read claims from a few places the pics in their first brochure was at least partially photos of Eagle gear.

CRAMBONE
07-26-21, 20:16
I have read claims from a few places the pics in their first brochure was at least partially photos of Eagle gear.

Blackhawk or London Bridge?
J-ville had some shops that would work up custom gear or do alterations but Oceanside had some really good places. Ares Tactical (not the belt company) was really cool, easy to work with and would do whatever you asked them to do.

jsbhike
07-26-21, 20:24
Blackhawk or London Bridge?
J-ville had some shops that would work up custom gear or do alterations but Oceanside had some really good places. Ares Tactical (not the belt company) was really cool, easy to work with and would do whatever you asked them to do.

Oops, I forgot to trim the last half of mark5pt56 post. Blackhawk catalog.

Did LBT or Eagle start up first?

SteyrAUG
07-26-21, 23:19

So I can understand him going into production with popular modifications, makes it possible for everyone to buy a known quantity. But hijacking Eagle designs is something else entirely, especially if it is very proprietary.

Now when HK made a UTL Mark 23 light, it was known that everyone from Streamlight to SureFire was going to ripoff the idea, especially when mounting options changed to Glock rail and pic rails. So I suppose if certain items from Eagle were common enough, the same thing is gonna happen. I guess it really comes down to what we are talking about.

The only really important thing is I'd probably rather have any of that old school Blackhawk gear compared to the stuff being made in Vietnam by actual commies. Eagle has always been consistent when it comes to quality in my experience.

CRAMBONE
07-27-21, 00:44
Oops, I forgot to trim the last half of mark5pt56 post. Blackhawk catalog.

Did LBT or Eagle start up first?

Makes since. They (BH) were cool for awhile, then the ripping off designs stuff came out, then they started biting off more than they could chew and tried to corner the market, then they sold out and are now made entirely overseas (from what I remember).

And you know I’m not sure. I want to say Eagle started first and LBT was a few years later, maybe about the time TAG started up. But even Eagle and TAG both sold out. Eagle is made overseas now also I believe.

SteyrAUG
07-27-21, 03:47
Makes since. They (BH) were cool for awhile, then the ripping off designs stuff came out, then they started biting off more than they could chew and tried to corner the market, then they sold out and are now made entirely overseas (from what I remember).

And you know I’m not sure. I want to say Eagle started first and LBT was a few years later, maybe about the time TAG started up. But even Eagle and TAG both sold out. Eagle is made overseas now also I believe.

So it looks like...

Eagle Industries goes all the way back to 1974. That is before I even knew I needed their stuff.

London Bridge Trading states they've been in business for over 30 years so that makes them sometime 1990 or so assuming they update that website regularly.

Blackhawk Tactical, founded in 1993 so they seem to be the johnny come lately and it makes sense that they could look around at existing product and do final mods, upgrades kind of like how George Luger looked at the Borchardt handgun and refined it into the Luger and all the other "build upon what exists" success stories out there.

Certainly HK never gets the credit for inventing the first high capacity (18 rounds), polymer frame, striker fired auto with a shitty trigger and they did it way back in 1970. They even had a select fire version before Gaston ever considered the G18.

Pretty sure Eagle is still made in the US so IMO that is a primary motivator. I have some Eagle gear, wish I had more. Problem is late 90s I was a Blackhawk dealer and was buying everything I needed at 40% off. At the time it was a lot harder for an independent to become a Eagle dealer. Now that situation has changed, not only is BH made in Vietnam, they want minimum sales to maintain your dealer status so I just buy BH stuff I need through my wholesalers. Sadly most of my wholesalers don't stock Eagle products and the ones that do hardly have the entire catalog because BH now has the name and people in general assume that's the best.

chuckman
07-27-21, 07:40
So it looks like...

Eagle Industries goes all the way back to 1974. That is before I even knew I needed their stuff.

London Bridge Trading states they've been in business for over 30 years so that makes them sometime 1990 or so assuming they update that website regularly.

Blackhawk Tactical, founded in 1993 so they seem to be the johnny come lately and it makes sense that they could look around at existing product and do final mods, upgrades kind of like how George Luger looked at the Borchardt handgun and refined it into the Luger and all the other "build upon what exists" success stories out there.

Certainly HK never gets the credit for inventing the first high capacity (18 rounds), polymer frame, striker fired auto with a shitty trigger and they did it way back in 1970. They even had a select fire version before Gaston ever considered the G18.

Pretty sure Eagle is still made in the US so IMO that is a primary motivator. I have some Eagle gear, wish I had more. Problem is late 90s I was a Blackhawk dealer and was buying everything I needed at 40% off. At the time it was a lot harder for an independent to become a Eagle dealer. Now that situation has changed, not only is BH made in Vietnam, they want minimum sales to maintain your dealer status so I just buy BH stuff I need through my wholesalers. Sadly most of my wholesalers don't stock Eagle products and the ones that do hardly have the entire catalog because BH now has the name and people in general assume that's the best.

I still have a made-in-USA BH STOMP II med pack. I love it, as impractical as it is.

I also was an 'independent dealer/distributor' for them, late 90s/early 2000s, when you could make a buck and help customers save a buck or two. Then got too big for their britches and I was "peace out."

Eagle Ind., Tactical Tailor, LBT, I really like most all of their stuff. They were really first-gen in the biz.

I really don't have a lot of indigestion of stuff made off-shore (wherever) AS LONG AS IT'S IN SPEC AND BUILT WELL. When that changes I go elsewhere.

ViniVidivici
07-27-21, 10:47
That's pretty much how Tactical Tailor was started as well, no? At least from the conventional side.

That's exactly how it started, right here in WA, at Ft. Lewis. Logan wanted certain kit items that weren't issued or in existence, so started making and nodding his own.

Guys saw what he was doing and said, "hey, I want that too!", and an idea was born.

I remember their first store there in Lakewood, the one Surplus Ammo & Arms eventually moved in to.

And hell yes, field jacket liners under a BDU top were awesome.

Stickman
07-27-21, 15:19
More thread drift. Captain Kenneth Bowra and one of his little fighters (either Montagnard or Cambodian). The Captain had a homemade AK chest rig for his AR. Love those XM guns.

https://i.imgur.com/vIDMHQV.jpg

Could have been Hmong, I'm friends with a few of them. I want to cry when I think of what they went through when we left them.

Stickman
07-27-21, 15:48
That's exactly how it started, right here in WA, at Ft. Lewis. Logan wanted certain kit items that weren't issued or in existence, so started making and nodding his own.

Guys saw what he was doing and said, "hey, I want that too!", and an idea was born.

I remember their first store there in Lakewood, the one Surplus Ammo & Arms eventually moved in to.

And hell yes, field jacket liners under a BDU top were awesome.

Yup, Logan started it in the barracks. He became the "Go To" man.

Logans folks are real good people also.

SteyrAUG
07-28-21, 01:49
Could have been Hmong, I'm friends with a few of them. I want to cry when I think of what they went through when we left them.

Yeah, for all our "leave no man behind" talk, we had three years to evac friendlies and we didn't get it done. In some cases we never even tried. How we expected anyone else to trust "advisors" after that is beyond me.

And leaving them to the commies and then decades later doing biz with the same government that tortured and murdered our POWs and then did the same to those who helped us, I just can't accept that. If John McCain personally wanted to forgive them, that's fine, he can do it. But we shouldn't prop up that shithole with capitalist dollars and US tourism. We should have sent them Jane Fonda and John Kerry and then isolated them like North Korea.