PDA

View Full Version : Fun times last night - not

Adrenaline_6
07-28-21, 10:08
I always let the dogs out about 10-10:30ish to take care of their business before bed time. Well...unbeknownst to me, an armadillo made its way through the fence to try and root up my yard. That f*cker usually is close enough to the fence line and the dig hole to get away. Not this time...Koa was too fast for that thing last night.

I knew something was different when he took off through the pool screen door and didn't make a sound. If it is beyond the fence he will take off to the fence line, growl or bark. Nope, no growl, no bark...just the sound of teeth on armadillo shell. The Am. Bulldog of course joined in and fun was had for all (sarcasm). Nothing like having to try and get them off of it and then give them both a bath on the pool deck at 11:00pm. Woohoo...fun times!

Stupid armadillos. He marks the fence line. I guess that's not warning enough. Well...price paid.

https://i.imgur.com/7IRUDjKh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/lJUYdH0h.jpg

CRAMBONE
07-28-21, 11:33
Be careful with those things. They can carry leprosy. Armadillos are the one animal I have a personal kill on sight order out on. Well those and Cottonmouths.

Adrenaline_6
07-28-21, 12:08
Be careful with those things. They can carry leprosy. Armadillos are the one animal I have a personal kill on sight order out on. Well those and Cottonmouths.

Yeah, I read about that. From what I understand, they have to eat it though to contract it.

CRAMBONE
07-28-21, 14:45
Yeah, I read about that. From what I understand, they have to eat it though to contract it.

I meant watch out for you. Can dogs contract leprosy? I was under the impression only humans and armadillos could carry it.

Ron3
07-28-21, 14:54
I only know one person who still owns a Pit. Its bit her more than once. And it's a female.

Good luck with your unneutered male.

Ain't much different than owning a mountain lion.

GH41
07-28-21, 15:11
I only know one person who still owns a Pit. Its bit her more than once. And it's a female.

I don't see a Pit Bull in the pictures.

utahjeepr
07-28-21, 15:33

American Bulldogs are awesome. Same with Amstaffs, pitties, etc. Square head dogs rock brah. Nurture over nature.

Hope them dogs didn't break any teeth on that Texas road stone.

Ron3
07-28-21, 15:41
American Bulldogs are awesome. Same with Amstaffs, pitties, etc. Square head dogs rock brah. Nurture over nature.

I thought American Bulldog was the new way of saying Staffordshire Terrier, which was another way of saying Pit Bull? No?

Grand58742
07-28-21, 16:28
Had my own GSD go after one this morning. Luckily, she's getting some age on her and just went to the 'dillo and growled with her cackles fully raised. Didn't attack or bite, just made sure it was aware it wasn't welcome in the backyard.

Yeah, they can carry diseases, but I tend to leave them be since they are an effective termite and ant remover and I'm getting some fire ant hills in my yard. Sure, they can tear a yard up, but nothing that can't be replaced fairly easily or isn't normally killed by a hot Oklahoma summer anyway.

utahjeepr
07-28-21, 16:30
Nah, roughly the same ballpark but definitely differences amongst them. They all get labeled as "Pitbulls" often enough even if the resemblance is slight. Pitties get a bad rap, mostly due to shit owners. Also if a pittie snaps at you it's "vicious" but if a pomeranian does it "isn't that cute? "

Meh, chihuahuas and poodles scare me more than pitties. I got a square head too, and I don't bite all that often. :p

THCDDM4
07-28-21, 16:48
I thought American Bulldog was the new way of saying Staffordshire Terrier, which was another way of saying Pit Bull? No?

Well, from tour last two posts in this thread it’s pretty obvious you’re not in your lane here.

A “Pitt Bull” is anything ignorant fear mongers what them to be regardless of the actual bread.

An actual American Pitt Bull Terrier is a cross bread of Staffordshire Terrier and an American Bull Dog.

Awesome animals that were originally bread as nanny dogs on American farms.

I’ve owned several American Pitt Bull Terriers and they have all been awesome dogs with no issues.

Only way you’d be in trouble with any of the pitt’s I’ve owned is if you messed with one of her family members. And then you’d be in rough shape. They are loyal dogs.

Labs are responsible for the most bites on humans, should we start a fear campaign against them too?

Unfortunately some owners of Pitt bulls are idiots and their dogs reflect that. Same thing goes for any other dog and other kids/humans, though.

SteyrAUG
07-28-21, 17:51

Yep, you live in the south.

DG23
07-28-21, 18:04
I’ve owned several American Pitt Bull Terriers and they have all been awesome dogs with no issues.

There is good reason you will never, ever see a pitt bull anywhere near the list for top 10 (or top 20, etc.) smartest dog breeds...

DG23
07-28-21, 18:11
https://i.imgur.com/lJUYdH0h.jpg

Damn fine teamwork right there! :)

My Dobes have a habit of doing the same. Last stray they ran out of the yard was a hard head and didn't get the verbal warning they gave him so... One got in his face while the other went around behind him and bit his ass. When he turned to look at the one that bit his ass the one in front grabbed his throat.

At that point he understood he was not 'welcome' and got his ass gone (never returned either).

Hope you rewarded those dogs for the job well done! :)

Adrenaline_6
07-28-21, 18:40
I meant watch out for you. Can dogs contract leprosy? I was under the impression only humans and armadillos could carry it.

Gotcha...I Know there is canine leprosy. Not sure if armadillos carry it. Yea...I don't mess with them other than throw their carcass over the fence for the buzzards the next day.

Adrenaline_6
07-28-21, 18:45

Yea dude...too much ignorance in that statement there. It is an American Bulldog (Scott type). There is the Johnson type which is larger boned, larger head, but not as athletic.

She is a female and spayed. The Dobie is a male and neutered.

Adrenaline_6
07-28-21, 18:49
Damn fine teamwork right there! :)

My Dobes have a habit of doing the same. Last stray they ran out of the yard was a hard head and didn't get the verbal warning they gave him so... One got in his face while the other went around behind him and bit his ass. When he turned to look at the one that bit his ass the one in front grabbed his throat.

At that point he understood he was not 'welcome' and got his ass gone (never returned either).

Hope you rewarded those dogs for the job well done! :)

I doubt that they thought they were being rewarded when the 11pm bath took place...lol.

I like their teamwork too, Both made no sound at all...weird...no bark...no growl...all business.

The tug of war crunching sound I could do without...lol

Adrenaline_6
07-28-21, 18:55

Thanks...no, teeth look fine. He bit clean through the armor on the previous one that he caught. That other one was a big one.

THCDDM4
07-28-21, 19:27
There is good reason you will never, ever see a pitt bull anywhere near the list for top 10 (or top 20, etc.) smartest dog breeds...

Yep, “top ten lists” are the absolute best place to get accurate, evidence based information to make life decisions and judgements from. Makes sense, bro.

joedirt199
07-29-21, 06:51
My rescue pit is pretty damn smart. I have no fear of anyone messing with my family while we are out for a walk with her. Got her when she was skin and bones with no confidence and mistreated by previous owner. Now she has weight and a pack and you better not mess with either.

Adrenaline_6
07-29-21, 08:04
I think people mix "smart" and trainability. A dog can be smart and a great problem solver, but getting them to do a bunch of complex things on cue might not be their forte.

A working breed was bred for the trainability aspect, they want to do what they are told, they need to please. It is in their nature to do so. That is why the breed is placed in the Working Dog class.

Most pro's in turn have a con and vice versa. Not being as trainable as the considered most trainable breeds is not a negative per se, unless you are going for a SCH title, then you might be in for some frustration.

joedirt199
07-29-21, 08:59
My pit is obedience trained and listens well, does what she is told and comes into a room and immediately lays down watching the door. She does that on her own. I go to tons of houses to deliver papers and hear people yelling at their dogs with no effect and then they run past them and begin to jump on me nonstop. I have no use for tiny dogs who think they are big dogs and have been nipped by more small dogs than big. They are dog/pets and should be treated as such, not humans.

Back on topic, beautiful dogs and glad they are ok after their late night hunt.

Adrenaline_6
07-29-21, 09:16
My pit is obedience trained and listens well, does what she is told and comes into a room and immediately lays down watching the door. She does that on her own. I go to tons of houses to deliver papers and hear people yelling at their dogs with no effect and then they run past them and begin to jump on me nonstop. I have no use for tiny dogs who think they are big dogs and have been nipped by more small dogs than big. They are dog/pets and should be treated as such, not humans.

Back on topic, beautiful dogs and glad they are ok after their late night hunt.

Thanks. Yup, small untrained dogs are horrible, but they always get a pass because they can't do much damage, but if the bigger dog "defends" itself from the assault (from dog's POV), it's the bigger dog's fault. Stupid.

As far as obedience training...no offense, but almost any dog can accomplish this. I am glad you have trained your dog well.

What I was talking about is in the upper echelons of trainability, this is what separates the can and cannot's. For instance, a very good working breed dog for the most part can achieve a SCH I title if the training and hard work is put into it. SCH III is a different story. Most dogs, even with a SCH I title can't achieve this title no matter how many hours of training you put into them. They just can't. This is why a SCH III dog cost crazy money. I think this is what DG23 was talking about as far as top list of "smart" dogs. This is why you see a lot of the same breed do the same type of jobs.. They are bred for it. On the flip side, you won't see too many Malinois rescued in a dog fighting sting or see them herding cattle. They don't do that well. That is not what they were bred for.

Bulletdog
07-29-21, 13:33

Is this post a joke? You friends with Bob Barker and PETA? Do you really believe that pit bulls have some sort of mental flaw that other dogs don't have? Do you honestly believe neutering has some sort of effect on this?

Before you answer, I feel you should know that these questions are being asked by a career dog trainer with 30 years of professional experience, who has trained dozens of pitbulls, thousands of dogs all over the world, and who holds multiple national protection dog competition titles. I've also trained several mountain lions, and myriad other exotics to include camels, elephants, apes, baboons, etc... That's my current aging malinois in my avatar snarling on cue for the camera.

1_click_off
07-29-21, 16:46
I've also trained several mountain lions, and myriad other exotics to include camels, elephants, apes, baboons, etc... That's my current aging malinois in my avatar snarling on cue for the camera.

I hope to be 1/4 as cool as you when I grow up, unfortunately I am out of time. There was a Dos Equis commercial running in my head as I read your post!

DG23
07-29-21, 17:52
Yea dude...too much ignorance in that statement there. It is an American Bulldog (Scott type). There is the Johnson type which is larger boned, larger head, but not as athletic.

She is a female and spayed. The Dobie is a male and neutered.

A real Dobie or a minpin?

I was thinking minpin at first comparing the size of the armadillo and the dogs in the pictures but now you got me wondering... :confused:

Really, really big 'Texas Size' Armadillo?

DG23
07-29-21, 18:09
Do you honestly believe neutering has some sort of effect on this?

Before you answer, I feel you should know that these questions are being asked by a career dog trainer with 30 years of professional experience...

Hard to blame the guy for that misconception. A great many advocates of doggie population control plant that garbage in peoples heads while giving them the population control / spay neuter speeches.

I actually keep a folder on one laptop with several links to actual published studies, various PDF files, etc. that specifically deal with spay / neuter surgery and the long term effect on dog aggression. For when people online want to argue about it sometimes it it better to share real studies like that with them...

okie
07-29-21, 18:25

What a load of nonsense.

Artos
07-29-21, 18:32
Two vizslas & a drahthaar here...the intelligence & love good dogs bring to a home are priceless. I prefer the company of my hounds more than most folks I meet these days.

I'm still not sure how the young viz is able to snag squirrels...never witnessed but got the evidence.

okie
07-29-21, 18:35
Nah, roughly the same ballpark but definitely differences amongst them. They all get labeled as "Pitbulls" often enough even if the resemblance is slight. Pitties get a bad rap, mostly due to shit owners. Also if a pittie snaps at you it's "vicious" but if a pomeranian does it "isn't that cute? "

Meh, chihuahuas and poodles scare me more than pitties. I got a square head too, and I don't bite all that often. :p

They used to be so popular as family dogs they were considered an American icon. More American than apple pie. That's why they were used in film and advertising so much back then. Then Lassie came out and Rin Tin Tin and all those, and suddenly now everyone wants those dogs. The pit bull fell out of style for about forty years. Then the war on drugs happened and gangbangers started getting Dobermans and Rottweilers and training them to be attack dogs. They started biting people, so they cities started banning them. So the gangbangers went out and got pit bulls instead. And that's when they jumped up in the statistics.

The only pit I ever saw that was a problem was owned by a drug addict who constantly had the police out for domestic stuff. That dog was a terrorist. What really pisses me off is the owners who swear up and down the dog never showed aggression when they know damn good and well that every neighbor in a half mile radius had been warning them about that dog for months or years. Passive aggressive borderline personality disorder types shouldn't own a dangerous dog period.

Adrenaline_6
07-29-21, 18:55
A real Dobie or a minpin?

I was thinking minpin at first comparing the size of the armadillo and the dogs in the pictures but now you got me wondering... :confused:

Really, really big 'Texas Size' Armadillo?

Real Dobie. He's a solid 95 -100 lbs and pretty tall (28" at the shoulders). As big as that armadillo looks, the first one he got awhile back was bigger than that. When he had it by the base of the tail, prancing around the yard with his prize and head held high, the head of the thing was almost touching the ground.

Here he is for reference.

https://i.imgur.com/auDEIqm.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/DKYZn3X.jpg?1

The Am. Bulldog for reference:
https://i.imgur.com/ufDWO8f.jpg

SteyrAUG
07-29-21, 19:54
They are dog/pets and should be treated as such, not humans.

So I treat my dogs better than most humans. In fairness my dogs are better than many humans. My dogs are often more human than many humans.

I also think Pit's get a bad rep because POS humans are drawn to their capability for ferocity. Pits, like some other breeds, excel in this area. That doesn't make them good or bad. Dogs have a personal nature that can be better or worse than other dogs, how they are trained and how they are treated can improve or degrade their personal nature accordingly.

It's hard for me to fathom that people who understand "blanket statements about guns being good or bad are inherently flawed" fall for the exact same propaganda when it comes to dogs or anything else.

I've seen Beagles that have been so abused they will attack anyone. I've seen Pits that love the four year old daughter of their family more than anything else and the only way you are gonna see some teeth is if you are stupid enough to threaten that little girl that the dog loves so much.

For people that think dogs are nothing more than pets. I've seen dogs who have stopped eating and starved themselves to death because their owner passed away. Anyone who has worked with military dogs has probably seen at least one knowingly put itself in harms way to protect a human that it loves. Not a human it was trained to protect, but one that it values above it's own life and if you don't understand that is love then you don't understand anything.

Now not all dogs will do this and some dogs are terrible. Feral dogs are capable of horrible things and usually only think of their survival. Some dogs are completely devoid of any kind of redeemable characteristics...but that is true of a lot of humans as well.

AndyLate
07-29-21, 20:22
My sister had a pitbul (Wilbur) for years and the only scary thing about him was his wanting to crawl on your lap while you were driving. He was a very gentle, friendly dog.

Andy

DG23
07-29-21, 20:33
Real Dobie. He's a solid 95 -100 lbs and pretty tall (28" at the shoulders). As big as that armadillo looks, the first one he got awhile back was bigger than that. When he had it by the base of the tail, prancing around the yard with his prize and head held high, the head of the thing was almost touching the ground.

Here he is for reference...

Good god.

https://i.imgur.com/WwqVlr5.jpg

I honestly thought that was a couple of 15 to 20lb dogs based on the few roadkill armadillows I have seen here.

I have Dober girls in that weight range and I am looking at that picture again shaking my head thinking about that.

You got some BIG damn bugs in your yard bro. :(

utahjeepr
07-30-21, 08:16
So I treat my dogs better than most humans. In fairness my dogs are better than many humans. My dogs are often more human than many humans.

I also think Pit's get a bad rep because POS humans are drawn to their capability for ferocity. Pits, like some other breeds, excel in this area. That doesn't make them good or bad. Dogs have a personal nature that can be better or worse than other dogs, how they are trained and how they are treated can improve or degrade their personal nature accordingly.

It's hard for me to fathom that people who understand "blanket statements about guns being good or bad are inherently flawed" fall for the exact same propaganda when it comes to dogs or anything else.

I've seen Beagles that have been so abused they will attack anyone. I've seen Pits that love the four year old daughter of their family more than anything else and the only way you are gonna see some teeth is if you are stupid enough to threaten that little girl that the dog loves so much.

For people that think dogs are nothing more than pets. I've seen dogs who have stopped eating and starved themselves to death because their owner passed away. Anyone who has worked with military dogs has probably seen at least one knowingly put itself in harms way to protect a human that it loves. Not a human it was trained to protect, but one that it values above it's own life and if you don't understand that is love then you don't understand anything.

Now not all dogs will do this and some dogs are terrible. Feral dogs are capable of horrible things and usually only think of their survival. Some dogs are completely devoid of any kind of redeemable characteristics...but that is true of a lot of humans as well.

^^^This! Pitties are the canine equivalent of "assault weapons". Whole lot of media and political hype over very little, and when something terrible does happen there's usually a human to blame.

Adrenaline_6
07-30-21, 09:15
Good god.

I honestly thought that was a couple of 15 to 20lb dogs based on the few roadkill armadillows I have seen here.

I have Dober girls in that weight range and I am looking at that picture again shaking my head thinking about that.

You got some BIG damn bugs in your yard bro. :(

Yup. Those bastards root the crap out of my yard. Healthy f*ckers for sure. Even the possums here are good sized. My previous red female Dobie used to mess them up. She was hesitant at first, but once she got a hold of one and dispatched it, the rest were toast. No blood...no guts...no mess. Just a quick grab on the top of the back and she would look at me all happy and crush it's insides without ripping it apart. She was a surgeon for sure. Miss that girl. She was a good one.

https://i.imgur.com/d9qwGt8.jpg?1

utahjeepr
07-30-21, 09:36
Ya just gotta love the south. Weird critters like possums and armadillos. Then ya got cottonmouths, copperheads, snapping turtles, alligators and crocs, ...

It's like America's own little corner of Australia. Whatever don't kill ya swallows you live. ;)

Ron3
07-30-21, 15:29
^^^This! Pitties are the canine equivalent of "assault weapons". Whole lot of media and political hype over very little, and when something terrible does happen there's usually a human to blame.

The difference is dogs have a mind of their own. Guns dont.

Some of you are saying neutering a dog does not reduce aggression?

Ron3
07-30-21, 15:43
...The pit bull fell out of style for about forty years. Then the war on drugs happened and gangbangers started getting Dobermans and Rottweilers and training them to be attack dogs. They started biting people, so they cities started banning them. So the gangbangers went out and got pit bulls instead. And that's when they jumped up in the statistics...

It will take alot of breeding by good people to decrease the aggression in many lines of Pit.

Or at least simply discourage breeding them.

I had a close family member that was attacked by an escaped pit / boxer mix. She ended up suing the owner for thousands in medical bills and about the same for pain and suffering. (Months of infection) Eventually the court got the money from the owner and his home owners insurance.

Aggressive dogs of any breed are risky to own.

SteyrAUG
07-30-21, 18:17
It will take alot of breeding by good people to decrease the aggression in many lines of Pit.

Or at least simply discourage breeding them.

I had a close family member that was attacked by an escaped pit / boxer mix. She ended up suing the owner for thousands in medical bills and about the same for pain and suffering. (Months of infection) Eventually the court got the money from the owner and his home owners insurance.

Aggressive dogs of any breed are risky to own.

As with most things, ownership requires responsibility. Without responsible ownership, terrible things could happen.

Your family member was right to sue, owner sounds like a jackass for not making sure his dog doesn't run loose and hurt people. Sorry she had to even go through that experience.

And yes, aggressive dogs of any breed require additional responsibility. I have probably spent 30 years training work / security dogs and never once has one of mine hurt somebody by accident. If I can do that, anyone can do that because I'm not a extra special dog trainer, just a responsible one.

Adrenaline_6
07-31-21, 09:43

It generally doesn't. An agro dog is an agro dog. The real problem is people don't understand the breeds they own. Pits are natural hunters and when that switch is clicked, it is hard to turn off, whether it's an actual pest or another dog. They are generally pretty good with humans. Kids might sometimes be seen as small prey by some who haven't been properly introduced to society.

Another problem with some breeds are same sex aggression. A bunch of breeds have this characteristic. Dobies have this and you have to watch them if you do have 2 of the same sex. With males it is more of a problem but it does exist with females sometimes. I had 2 females at one time and had no problems. From what I have heard from others with experience is that if it does develop between females it is very bad. Regardless, when that switch clicks, one pretty much has decided the other must die.

This is why I now have one male Dobie and one female Am Bulldog. Nice and easy, everyone gets along. Two males would have been asking for a bloody mess eventually.

DG23
07-31-21, 09:46
Yup. Those bastards root the crap out of my yard. Healthy f*ckers for sure. Even the possums here are good sized. My previous red female Dobie used to mess them up. She was hesitant at first, but once she got a hold of one and dispatched it, the rest were toast. No blood...no guts...no mess. Just a quick grab on the top of the back and she would look at me all happy and crush it's insides without ripping it apart. She was a surgeon for sure. Miss that girl. She was a good one.

That has been my experience with Dobes and squirrels. Once they get that first one - From that point on they will go insane trying to get the rest of them and put them where they belong. (in the tummy LOL!)

https://i.imgur.com/Ki8PJhr.jpg

Its like a light bulb turns on once they realize that inside the little bag of fur is MEAT. LOL! :)

DG23
07-31-21, 10:28
And yes, aggressive dogs of any breed require additional responsibility. I have probably spent 30 years training work / security dogs and never once has one of mine hurt somebody by accident. If I can do that, anyone can do that because I'm not a extra special dog trainer, just a responsible one.

Was at this one shop years ago working late on a Sunday night. Had the radio blasting while doing my thing and all of the sudden the girls both tuned up and started running for the back of the shop in full tilt 'going to get us some' mode.

We had a company at the time that was paid to occasionally come by and patrol the parking lot (that is all) and this one employee of theirs decided he was going to see what was going on inside the building that night. Walked right in the back door that I accidentally forgot to lock when I came it. No knocking first, just walked right in...

The girls made the length of the shop in seconds and were almost on top of that guy before he made it a few steps inside. Between the growling and the speed with which they ran up on him - Pretty sure he had a little bit off pee come out before I called them off and asked him what the hell he was doing.

Guy claimed he 'thought someone may have broke in and was checking things out'.

My reply was, 'Who in the hell would break in, turn on all the lights, crank up the stereo full blast, and then start operating machines???'

In hindsight it was lucky for that guy that he froze up when they ran up on him instead of trying to make a run for it. That particular back door had to be slammed shut to latch properly. Being commercial it opened outwards and both girls knew how to push it open when they wanted to... :)

CRAMBONE
07-31-21, 13:04
Ya just gotta love the south. Weird critters like possums and armadillos. Then ya got cottonmouths, copperheads, snapping turtles, alligators and crocs, ...

It's like America's own little corner of Australia. Whatever don't kill ya swallows you live. ;)

Don’t forget Rattlesnakes, Coral snakes, ticks, mosquitoes, red bugs, Black Bear populations are increasing and allegedly we have cougars, although I’m not sure about that. And humidity and the rednecks! It’s fun times for sure.

I used to kill opossums like they were a varmint but then I researched them and found out they eat a lot of bugs.

Averageman
07-31-21, 13:22
I had a great little Boston Terrier, that dog would dig up a snake out of nowhere, kill it, than come in the house to show you the remains.

Adrenaline_6
07-31-21, 22:27
That has been my experience with Dobes and squirrels. Once they get that first one - From that point on they will go insane trying to get the rest of them and put them where they belong. (in the tummy LOL!)

https://i.imgur.com/Ki8PJhr.jpg

Its like a light bulb turns on once they realize that inside the little bag of fur is MEAT. LOL! :)

...not to mention squirrels are the crack of the canine world.

DG23
08-01-21, 08:40
...not to mention squirrels are the crack of the canine world.

The one girl would literally foam at the damn mouth every time she saw them after she got her first. Was pitiful.

https://i.imgur.com/CZEyH5o.jpg

Public service announcement: Had a friend tell me about the time his fido ran off and got a duck at his local park. He said it all happened in a blink and before he could do anything the duck was dead. Just so happened that a lady got the 'accident' on video and... Not long later the park popo shows up and hands him a citation for the dead duck. $1000.00 bucks and he did NOT get to keep the bird. :(

Would be willing to bet that most any animals running around in public areas like that are 'protected' and if your fido should happen to harm one and someone see it - It could be costly.

For many years I have had friends give me surplus ducks every year (hunting season). They like shooting them more than eating them and often have a lot of surplus. Think garbage bags full of ducks over and over and year after year... After a while I got sick of eating them myself and started giving them to whatever girls I had at the time. They learn fast what is under those feathers.

https://i.imgur.com/ifvHw6b.jpg

Would be nothing but trouble for me taking any of those girls to a park with ducks waddling around. Dogs do not just forget where meat comes from...

1_click_off
08-01-21, 08:55
@ DG23

You’re not worried about them consuming the steel shot? Lead shot if the hunters forget to swap for water fowl?

DG23
08-01-21, 09:19
@ DG23

You’re not worried about them consuming the steel shot? Lead shot if the hunters forget to swap for water fowl?

Nope. Birds were cleaned / processed before giving to them. Cut up small enough to where I would spot anything like that.

More than a few times the birds had been left in the back of the truck overnight and were frozen solid by the time they were given to me. Like bricks with feathers. May be why so many were given away?

Used my special metal detector (more than a few times) that also doubles as a meat defroster to make SURE there was no steel bits hidden from sight. :)

https://i.imgur.com/z5qVihj.jpg

1_click_off
08-01-21, 09:59
Good deal.

CRAMBONE
08-01-21, 12:10
@ DG23

It’s no different than eating squirrel, rabbit or anything else killed with shot. Just paying attention when processing the animal. I have had to cut shot out of meat before but it’s not a big deal. I’ve eaten hundreds of ducks and never bitten down on a pellet.

1_click_off
08-01-21, 12:23
It’s no different than eating squirrel, rabbit or anything else killed with shot. Just paying attention when processing the animal. I have had to cut shot out of meat before but it’s not a big deal. I’ve eaten hundreds of ducks and never bitten down on a pellet.

I was under the impression he was offering the bird whole in the fact there was a statement to the affect they had discovered meat under all the feathers.

Disciple
08-01-21, 15:54
Used my special metal detector (more than a few times) that also doubles as a meat defroster to make SURE there was no steel bits hidden from sight. :)

https://i.imgur.com/z5qVihj.jpg

Does it spark or what?

Coal Dragger
08-01-21, 15:55

I have a fully intact male Rottweiler that is not quite 3 years old. Still filling out a bit but you can still see his waist at 100lbs summer weight (he doesn’t eat as much in warm weather). His sire was 100% Serbian working line import, and his mom is 50% German import. He’s dominant with other dogs, and protective of us, especially my son.

He also sits, downs, and comes on command. We’ve taught him the joys of catching a frisbee. My 3 year old little boy can literally sit on the poor dog’s head and nary a complaint will be heard from Jack. He’s super friendly with strangers, adores kids, and as long as other dogs don’t cop an attitude he’s chill with them too.

We spent the time up front with him to make sure he knows who the pack leaders are, and ensure that he was exposed to lots of people and other dogs when he was a puppy. Very few times did he need strong correction for a behavior issue, and he learned from them. Otherwise he gets positive reinforcement 99.9% of the time because both he and our female GSD respond to it. Bulletdog gave me some solid advice when my wife adopted the Rottweiler, and it’s helped turn him into a model canine citizen.

Pit bulls are no different, if they get lucky and have a person who gives them love, reinforcement of good behavior, and corrections to bad behavior they can be great dogs too.

Bulletdog
08-01-21, 23:30

Correct. Sample size of thousands over 3 decades. I'm the guy that gets called when other trainers fail. I'm the guy that literally saves dogs from euthanasia when ignorant trainers and vets tell people to kill their dog because they don't understand the problem(s), and have no clue how to correct the problem(s).

My worst aggression cases, both aggression towards humans and aggression toward other dogs, have been neutered males. Simultaneously, myself and other trainers that have basic knowledge and a little experience have no trouble mixing multiple neutered males.

Ron3
08-02-21, 07:48
Correct. Sample size of thousands over 3 decades. I'm the guy that gets called when other trainers fail. I'm the guy that literally saves dogs from euthanasia when ignorant trainers and vets tell people to kill their dog because they don't understand the problem(s), and have no clue how to correct the problem(s).

My worst aggression cases, both aggression towards humans and aggression toward other dogs, have been neutered males. Simultaneously, myself and other trainers that have basic knowledge and a little experience have no trouble mixing multiple neutered males.

Interesting, thanks.

Adrenaline_6
08-02-21, 11:53

In your experience, were most of those dogs fear biters or something else?

Whiskey_Bravo
08-02-21, 12:49
Back on topic.

Armadillos are shoot on site for me for this very reason. We have two GSDs and I would prefer they not get tangled up with them. Killed two fat bastards Saturday night with my glock. One was trotting right in my direction and I let him get about 10' in front of me before I took him out. Not sure he ever saw me.

CRAMBONE
08-02-21, 13:02
I was under the impression he was offering the bird whole in the fact there was a statement to the affect they had discovered meat under all the feathers.

Oh yeah could be. I use duck wings and whole ducks to work with my Chessie. She doesn’t get to eat the birds though.

Bulletdog
08-02-21, 16:00
In your experience, were most of those dogs fear biters or something else?
After thinking about your question and all the memorable examples over the years, I'd say there have been lots of reasons. Fear biting being just one. Hard to nail down percentages on what motivates the aggression in so many cases, but the underlying issue is that the people didn't know how to effectively control their dogs, or were too lazy and irresponsible to do so. The axiom that dogs just want to please is false. Dogs just want to do what dogs want to do. If it were the former, I wouldn't have a job. Understanding the motivation for their aggression is key to controlling it. Prey, defense, territoriality, jealousy, fear, excitement, and boredom can all be motivators for unwanted aggression. I've seen several bored, kenneled malinois who seemed to find entertainment in biting the awkward hairless apes and watching their reactions. And some dogs are just genetically programmed to bite. Just raised two pups recently that demonstrated my ignorance on this to me. I thought I could overcome genetics with proper training and socialization. I have many times in the past, but apparently, I can't always do it. Similar situation for parrots and monkeys. Most any social animal.

My apologies for drifting off topic on your thread. I found myself unable to let the incorrect pit bull and neutering statements stand. I've actually been working in Georgia a lot in the last few months, currently in Oklahoma, and armadillos are now seen almost daily by me and my dogs. I'm reading and learning. My two mals found a couple of armadillos crashing around in the middle of a fallen tree in the hotel potty area a couple of months ago, and I had to call them off. I did not know about the leprosy thing with armadillos, so I thank you for starting this thread. Additionally, I always enjoy seeing people's dogs and reading about doggy exploits. I've worked with a few great dobies and American bulldogs. Love both breeds. You've also made me glad that I hunt my game birds and rabbits with talons rather than shot, so no need for such a highly specialized metal detector for my kills.

Adrenaline_6
08-02-21, 17:38
After thinking about your question and all the memorable examples over the years, I'd say there have been lots of reasons. Fear biting being just one. Hard to nail down percentages on what motivates the aggression in so many cases, but the underlying issue is that the people didn't know how to effectively control their dogs, or were too lazy and irresponsible to do so. The axiom that dogs just want to please is false. Dogs just want to do what dogs want to do. If it were the former, I wouldn't have a job. Understanding the motivation for their aggression is key to controlling it. Prey, defense, territoriality, jealousy, fear, excitement, and boredom can all be motivators for unwanted aggression. I've seen several bored, kenneled malinois who seemed to find entertainment in biting the awkward hairless apes and watching their reactions. And some dogs are just genetically programmed to bite. Just raised two pups recently that demonstrated my ignorance on this to me. I thought I could overcome genetics with proper training and socialization. I have many times in the past, but apparently, I can't always do it. Similar situation for parrots and monkeys. Most any social animal.

My apologies for drifting off topic on your thread. I found myself unable to let the incorrect pit bull and neutering statements stand. I've actually been working in Georgia a lot in the last few months, currently in Oklahoma, and armadillos are now seen almost daily by me and my dogs. I'm reading and learning. My two mals found a couple of armadillos crashing around in the middle of a fallen tree in the hotel potty area a couple of months ago, and I had to call them off. I did not know about the leprosy thing with armadillos, so I thank you for starting this thread. Additionally, I always enjoy seeing people's dogs and reading about doggy exploits. I've worked with a few great dobies and American bulldogs. Love both breeds. You've also made me glad that I hunt my game birds and rabbits with talons rather than shot, so no need for such a highly specialized metal detector for my kills.

No problem. To me...dog talk is dog talk. Love it.

This male Dobie I have was a rescue. It came from a family whose wife and sons were allergic. I think that was just part of the problem though. I think thy were scared of him. When I brought him home he was fine, but did not take to a stern voice very well. I learned that the hard way when I was correcting him and walked towards him too aggressively for his taste.

I've read a bunch of bite training books and some specific Doberman ones and one of the books I remember reading that they are faster than you think and when training them for bite training that the person doing it better be on their toes or bad things will happen. Well, I tell you what, if he really had wanted to, he would have taken my face off before I could have done anything at all. He just warned me. Very sobering experience. He's all good now,but he's the most protective Dobie of the four that I have owned. The one thing that I still can't kick is that he is vindictive. Probably due to separation anxiety to me. It's not all the time, just every so often, if I leave the house, he will mark the furniture (try anyway), I put a belly band on him to be safe.

He can have a long streak of no problems, then one day, it is "eff you, this what I think". Baffling.

Edit: forgot to add that Falconry = super cool.

DG23
08-02-21, 19:16

When they are camped out watching while you clean them and occasional bits of raw this or that get tossed in their direction - They learn about the meat being under the feathers.

And feet... Duck feet never get trashed. Those are doggie crack - No cleaning required. Cut and toss! :)

DG23
08-02-21, 19:17
Does it spark or what?

Not if there is nothing metal inside.

utahjeepr
08-03-21, 09:50
Need proof of how poorly most folks train their dogs?

Working construction we seem to come in contact with a lot of dogs. Over the years I've noticed that many dogs will answer to "damn it" and/or "son of a bitch". Try it yourself.

ETA: My dogs come running anytime my wife says "oops" or "shit" in the kitchen. They know there will be a tasty clean up for them somewhere on that kitchen floor.

Adrenaline_6
08-03-21, 14:11
Need proof of how poorly most folks train their dogs?

Working construction we seem to come in contact with a lot of dogs. Over the years I've noticed that many dogs will answer to "damn it" and/or "son of a bitch". Try it yourself.

ETA: My dogs come running anytime my wife says "oops" or "shit" in the kitchen. They know there will be a tasty clean up for them somewhere on that kitchen floor.

Dogs "understand" tones also. You could ask your dog with a pleasant tone (like you were going for a ride, etc) if they want an enema with a spiked pole and they would act like "its about to get jiggy!"

Even how you express yourself. My dogs clear out when I'm pissed. Somehow, they just know.

DG23
08-03-21, 19:59
Dogs "understand" tones also. You could ask your dog with a pleasant tone (like you were going for a ride, etc) if they want an enema with a spiked pole and they would act like "its about to get jiggy!"

Even how you express yourself. My dogs clear out when I'm pissed. Somehow, they just know.

I took the girls to this Vet clinic a few weeks ago to get them weighed and forgot to bring a face diaper so they would not let me come inside and do it myself.

No big deal, They sent a couple of girls outside to get the Dober girls and take them in for me to get their weight.

The one Vet tech / assistant girl asked me if the girls would listen to commands. I explained to her that they would IF she gave them 'correctly' and gave her a demonstration. More or less - Say it like you MEAN IT and not like you are playing around.

Even with the demonstration both of those (human) girls screwed it up and got drug like they were the bitches both in and then back out of the clinic. Both Dober girls blew off every word those girls said to them. If they had used the correct 'tone' as you describe there would have been zero issues. :)

I was in that same clinic a few weeks later getting blood work done on one of the girls and remembered my mask so was inside with them. Packed lobby, Both humans and dogs of all sizes. I sat next to a little old lady with a 10lb rat dog while waiting.

Zero issues with pulling, obeying commands, or anything. When I said 'SIT' - Those asses hit the ground. When I said 'CALM' - Those girls calmed and never so much as even considered screwing with anyone or any other dog there...

Had two different customers comment about how well behaved they were and then the little old lady next to me asked me about the pinch collar on one of my girls but not the other. She was wondering why the collars were different. I explained it to her about how that particular dog was hard headed sometimes and that that collar allowed me to 'pinch' her neck a little if she got out of line.

Adrenaline_6
08-04-21, 16:42
I took the girls to this Vet clinic a few weeks ago to get them weighed and forgot to bring a face diaper so they would not let me come inside and do it myself.

No big deal, They sent a couple of girls outside to get the Dober girls and take them in for me to get their weight.

The one Vet tech / assistant girl asked me if the girls would listen to commands. I explained to her that they would IF she gave them 'correctly' and gave her a demonstration. More or less - Say it like you MEAN IT and not like you are playing around.

Even with the demonstration both of those (human) girls screwed it up and got drug like they were the bitches both in and then back out of the clinic. Both Dober girls blew off every word those girls said to them. If they had used the correct 'tone' as you describe there would have been zero issues. :)

I was in that same clinic a few weeks later getting blood work done on one of the girls and remembered my mask so was inside with them. Packed lobby, Both humans and dogs of all sizes. I sat next to a little old lady with a 10lb rat dog while waiting.

Zero issues with pulling, obeying commands, or anything. When I said 'SIT' - Those asses hit the ground. When I said 'CALM' - Those girls calmed and never so much as even considered screwing with anyone or any other dog there...

Had two different customers comment about how well behaved they were and then the little old lady next to me asked me about the pinch collar on one of my girls but not the other. She was wondering why the collars were different. I explained it to her about how that particular dog was hard headed sometimes and that that collar allowed me to 'pinch' her neck a little if she got out of line.

Yeah..people don't realize how much worse a choke chain is than a pinch collar because it looks scary to them.

Artos
08-04-21, 17:03
Richard Wolters 'Family Dog' should be handed out for every first puppy buyer...should actually read it before getting the dog.

Pappabear
08-04-21, 17:17
I had blocky headed labs and they were awesome. Now I have “ Sheepadoodles” half sheep dog half a dog that will fck anything. Just saying.

PB

Bulletdog
08-04-21, 17:31
Richard Wolters 'Family Dog' should be handed out for every first puppy buyer...should actually read it before getting the dog.

I don't know this book. Thanks for the reference. I will look it up.

The industry standard for all beginning trainers has been "Don't Shoot The Dog", by Karen Pryor for decades.

Bulletdog
08-04-21, 17:40

You illustrate a common problem I encounter. The person on the end of the leash has everything to do with how well any dog behaves. Its not just tone of voice. Its body language, posture, position, and leash handling skill too.

When clients are having an issue, I frequently ask them: "If I were holding the leash, would we be having this issue?" For 30 years the answer to that question has unanimously been "no".

I call them "prong collars" and there is nothing wrong with them. Used correctly, they are more humane than a choke chain or flat collar. I've set more than one person straight on that topic. Same with electric collars. The are a powerful tool, and when used correctly they literally save dog's lives.

DG23
08-04-21, 19:30
You illustrate a common problem I encounter. The person on the end of the leash has everything to do with how well any dog behaves. Its not just tone of voice. Its body language, posture, position, and leash handling skill too.

Absolutely.

Had a pair out front one day (off leash, boundary trained adult Dober girls) and looked up to see Animal Control truck driving down the street in our direction.

Guy stops in front of the house, gets out and asks if he can say hello to the girls. Let him know its not a problem and he walks right up to them and pretty much acts as if he has known them forever. Those girls picked up on his 'vibe' right away and knew he was not a threat but a buddy! Not much doubt in my mind that if that guy had wanted to take them for a walk down the street with no leash at all that they would have gladly followed him...

Pretty much exactly as you describe. Was not just his tone of voice, but it was a lot of other things that the dogs could see right away. (Body language, posture, etc.)

Dogs do a ton of 'communicating' without any sounds ever being made. In the same way they can look at another dog and pick up things from the body language (what is the tail doing? what do the ears look like?) they can do similar with humans.

Adrenaline_6
08-05-21, 13:55
Yes...Dogs are incredible empaths.